HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 9:14 PM

The only problem I have with it is that the whole point of that facility was to eliminate the need for shuttles and the extra congestion they cause. In fact the current situation is almost worse since the long walkway is open to the elements. If they're going to need shuttles for the new terminal, they might as well just let the companies operate their own facilities on the north side.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 10:15 PM

I guess I just don't understand why when they updated the renderings, they made the airport smaller. If you want more passengers, why not build for the future? Also why change the original design so much? I just feel like we are missing a huge opportunity her just to cut a few bucks off the original. I'd rather see a beautiful state-of-the-art terminal than one that saves a couple bucks and looks less impressive...but that's my two cents...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 5:40 PM

At 88, Tom Benson Conducts Business as Usual for New Orleans Teams

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/sp...eams.html?_r=0

Interesting development related tidbits from this piece: $20 million community sports center is planned next to the training centers for the Saints/Pelicans. Benson is also considering a new hotel and retail complex next to the Superdome. Of course there was once a mall at the site, but I think all of the new development in the area would make something like that more successful this time around. I wonder if he has his eye on the USPS property. That will be ripe for redevelopment.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 4:07 AM

I could see a hotel tower with multi-level retail going up where the remainder of the old New Orleans Center is. That's quite a bit of space to work with there.

The USPS facility is likely a no go, since the main post office will still be located there, and the closure of the processing facility has been placed on hold. The adjoining tower also has some federal agencies still housed there.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 1:04 PM

Benson already owns the lot at Poydras and Claiborne. It has previously been reported that he wanted a hotel there.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 1:20 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWXGuy1208 View Post
I guess I just don't understand why when they updated the renderings, they made the airport smaller. If you want more passengers, why not build for the future? Also why change the original design so much? I just feel like we are missing a huge opportunity her just to cut a few bucks off the original. I'd rather see a beautiful state-of-the-art terminal than one that saves a couple bucks and looks less impressive...but that's my two cents...
Not necessarily. One shuttle operated by the airport, with the seats full, is better than 8 different shuttles with only 2-3 people on each one. There's less congestion on the access roadway with fewer overall buses. Travelers wouldn't face the frustrating moment when the Hertz, Dollar, and National shuttles pass them up but the Alamo shuttle they're looking for is nowhere to be found.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I could see a hotel tower with multi-level retail going up where the remainder of the old New Orleans Center is. That's quite a bit of space to work with there.

The USPS facility is likely a no go, since the main post office will still be located there, and the closure of the processing facility has been placed on hold. The adjoining tower also has some federal agencies still housed there.
Yes the USPS Facility is likely not closing anytime soon but I would still expect some streetscape improvements in the are as well as long awaite Howard Avenue extension to LaSalle street.

Also sorry I havent been posting much on here guys but I have been running out of time and tumblr is so much easier to post to. If anyone wants to copy my post from my tumblr your more than welcome to(just credit where you get it from)

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 5:51 PM

The Company Burger Debuts in the South Market District

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:41 PM

Tulane Ave

looks like the Tulane Ave project has started. There's a lot of equipment there starting at the Carrollton end.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
looks like the Tulane Ave project has started. There's a lot of equipment there starting at the Carrollton end.
Good to hear! I rarely think a streetscape project can have a dramatic impact on a street, but this is one case where I think it will. The current setup is very haphazard, ugly and counterproductive to the current development there. This will also really help tie the whole street together whish is why my only critique is that they aren't doing Tulane Ave from Claiborne to Loyola( I think that's a mistake)

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 24, 2015 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 8:39 PM

Market Street power plant

Market Street power plant has a new owner, but don't expect redevelopment soon

The 110-year-old Market Street power plant changed hands Thursday (Sept. 24) for $8.72 million, but the new owner won't have to put a penny down to complete the transaction.

Developer Joe Jaeger, who invested millions of dollars with the previous owners to revive the 20-acre site, retained possession of the property through a foreclosure auction tied to that debt. His bid was the only one submitted for the industrial structures and land that sit between the Warehouse and Lower Garden districts. The plant has not generated power since 1973 when it was part of New Orleans Public Service Inc....

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...lant_as_a.html

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 3:14 PM

Condo/Apartment Projects

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2015...apartments.php

Curbed article about all the Condo and apartment projects going on. They left out the Freret mixed-use project.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 10:00 PM

Condo / Apartment Projects

1031 Canal could have made the list too, couldn't it?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:16 AM

A New Orleans based start-up regional airline is expected to announce the start of service to some mid-sized regional markets like Memphis, Shreveport, and Little Rock this afternoon. I with this venture all the success in the world.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-announce.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
A New Orleans based start-up regional airline is expected to announce the start of service to some mid-sized regional markets like Memphis, Shreveport, and Little Rock this afternoon. I with this venture all the success in the world.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-announce.html
FANTASTIC news, and from what I can tell, a smart business plan. It's something unique: more amenities in an industry that's increasingly making them a la carte, and they'll be focusing on the Gulf and Mid-South regions for direct flights, something that's sorely missing for several cities. There's a Forbes article as well: http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianal...oss-the-south/. Probably the best takeaway from it is that they've considered major corporations like Entergy, who are clearly on board and will use the Little Rock-New Orleans flights regularly and on a large scale.

Great, great news for NOLA.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:52 PM

Glo

Not a huge fan of the name, but w/e I wish them well.

Jackson and Birmingham make obvious sense too.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:03 PM
life is good

Hate to be pessimistic, but these small airlines always fail in 18 months. Maybe this one will actually make it...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 10:13 PM

I hope this new airline venture is successful. As was mentioned these types of flights can be very beneficial to corporations who need to make frequent short trips. Banks come to mind as well as retail HQ's like Dillards (LIT) and Autozone (MEM). Birmingham with the Region's HQ and Jacksonville with CSX and BI-LO (Winn-Dixie) seem like a natural fit. Perhaps there would also be some shipping and river cruise related traffic to Memphis.

Here's an article on the Tulane Ave reconstruction project: http://midcitymessenger.com/2015/09/...ff/#more-11841

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Hate to be pessimistic, but these small airlines always fail in 18 months. Maybe this one will actually make it...
I've often talked amongst friends that there's been such consolidation of the airline industry, niche markets would present themselves all over. Of course, I viewed it from a Memphis perspective. I an of lots of 250 to 400 nautical mile routes from midsized market to two destination spots with some business oportunity. Take this route, Northwest Arkansas, Memphis, Knoxville. Take off from XNA to Memphis, there passengers going to Memphis disembark and passengers going thru stay seated, passengers going to Knoxville from Memphis board, go to Knoxville and all get off. Repeat the other way. Lot's of those niche routes that may not require even daily but 3 and 4 time weekly. In addition to that on Sat when the business aspect drops off, work with some of the new LLC transatlantic like Norweigian, use Sat flights to feed a once a week nonstop to London. I can tell you now, the base fare for local passengers would be under a 1,000 round trip. This airline could run a connecting fare for about 250 rt. That seems a no brainer considering Viking's wish to get Europeans here for their cruises and not just domestic passengers.

I punched in a week trip to London June 4th to 11th. Cheapest ticket from New Orleans is American or an American partner flight of 1 and 2 stops with some legs of 35 hrs around 1200 and just one stop back and forth for 1,400. Norweigian would nearly be 2 for 1 and first class for massive amounts less.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 2:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
I've often talked amongst friends that there's been such consolidation of the airline industry, niche markets would present themselves all over. Of course, I viewed it from a Memphis perspective. I an of lots of 250 to 400 nautical mile routes from midsized market to two destination spots with some business oportunity. Take this route, Northwest Arkansas, Memphis, Knoxville. Take off from XNA to Memphis, there passengers going to Memphis disembark and passengers going thru stay seated, passengers going to Knoxville from Memphis board, go to Knoxville and all get off. Repeat the other way. Lot's of those niche routes that may not require even daily but 3 and 4 time weekly. In addition to that on Sat when the business aspect drops off, work with some of the new LLC transatlantic like Norweigian, use Sat flights to feed a once a week nonstop to London. I can tell you now, the base fare for local passengers would be under a 1,000 round trip. This airline could run a connecting fare for about 250 rt. That seems a no brainer considering Viking's wish to get Europeans here for their cruises and not just domestic passengers.

I punched in a week trip to London June 4th to 11th. Cheapest ticket from New Orleans is American or an American partner flight of 1 and 2 stops with some legs of 35 hrs around 1200 and just one stop back and forth for 1,400. Norweigian would nearly be 2 for 1 and first class for massive amounts less.
Agreed. The consolidation will bring massive oppurtunity. Also dont forget to investigation into airlines pricefixing routes with eachother. Think the industry will be found guilty and this will lead to additional service and/or codesharing which will help these smaller airlines serving destinations not being covered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations