HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:54 PM

I agree...the old Ives building seems like the perfect size for ISH. I'm also perfectly fine with tearing down the buildings on Tchoup to put up the new hotel. They are not that historically significant, and if I remember correctly had the back wall missing for several years after Katrina. The new hotel would greatly improve that entire intersection. Hopefully, the Sanlin building will get fixed up too.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:57 PM
-

DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS MEETING
Tuesday, February 4, 2014
DDD Board Room
201 St. Charles Ave., Suite 3912
4:00 PM
AGENDA
I. Call to Order
II. Pledge of Allegiance
III. Roll Call
IV. Adoption of Agenda – Action Item*
V. Approval of October 1, 2013 Board Meeting Minutes – Action Item*
VI. Call for Public Input Cards
VII. Introduction – Karen Martin of Travelers Aid Regarding Homeless Outreach Services
VIII. Chair's Report
Approval of Revised Human Resources Policy & Procedures Manual – Action Item*
Approval of Loew's State Palace Investment Terms & Covenants – Action Item* wonder what this means?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:03 AM
life is good

Smoothie King Center is a terrible name.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
I don't mind it. It's at least a local company.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:39 AM

*please delete*

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I agree, so in honor of Smoothie King's owner and CEO, I will refer to it as South Korean Center instead.

http://www.smoothieking.com/about/meet-the-owner.php

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 1:15 AM
-

The names not that bad and its good news for the team and the arena to have additional revenue source.

So does anyone know if the state palace was bought recently or under contract?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
The names not that bad and its good news for the team and the arena to have additional revenue source.

So does anyone know if the state palace was bought recently or under contract?
I swear I read something recently about the state of the theater district lately. Whatever I read talked about the sale of the Orpheum and that there was a suitor ready to snatch up the State Palace as well. And I'll be damned if I can remember where the hell I saw that.

This would seem to further strengthen the rumor I'd guess. I just hope/pray it gets the Saenger treatment.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 2:55 AM

The Smoothie King name shouldn't be hated on. It's a company headquartered in this metropolitan area with an international presence, commitment to keeping its HQ here, just completed its best year ever in its 40 year history, and has major national and international expansion plans.

Back the money trucks into the loading dock of the arena already, and slap their name on the building. DEAL.

It's not like we're talking about a small business that has locations only in Slidell, Covington, and maybe one on West Esplanade.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
The Smoothie King name shouldn't be hated on. It's a company headquartered in this metropolitan area with an international presence, commitment to keeping its HQ here, just completed its best year ever in its 40 year history, and has major national and international expansion plans.

Back the money trucks into the loading dock of the arena already, and slap their name on the building. DEAL.

It's not like we're talking about a small business that has locations only in Slidell, Covington, and maybe one on West Esplanade.
Well I'm not hating on it. Like I told you, the Koreans are crazy about basketball. The naming rights deal makes perfect sense to me. Personally I'm just glad they sold the rights AND it's not the Louisiana Seafood Arena Seasoned By Zatarains. Remember that mess?

But just think how awesome it would have been if ISH bought the naming rights to commemorate their return home?

International Shipping Center has a nice ring to it!

EDIT: I LOVE SMOOTHIE KING, HOWEVER... not crazy about the two 20-foot high Smoothie King cups that will now grace the main entrance to the arena.

Last edited by Reverend_Cletus; Feb 6, 2014 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 4:40 AM

Also, I think this is a case where you "buy low". SK is currently in 21 NBA cities and still has major national and international expansion plans. Obviously it's not on the same popularity level as McDonald's or Chick-fil-A but where was Raising Cane's 10 years ago? LSU??? Now they are in cities in multiple states. There is nothing wrong with sponsoring BEFORE you're finished your expansion.

SK will have its name in millions of households next weekend in over 200 countries during the All-Star game. This "legitimizes" the brand in expansion markets that are just getting their first SK store. "Ohh wait they are on an NBA arena so this stuff must be alright. I'll try it out."

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:16 AM

I'm fine with the name, and in a few months no one will even notice locally. Smoothie King thought about relocating to Dallas or Atlanta, and instead chose to remain here. This should help the company grow, and cement them further into the area.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:35 AM
-

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:57 AM

Quote:
I agree, it isn't so bad. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I think it complements the M-B Superdome well, and gives the city an national appearance that we consume things other than fried seafood and daiquiris.

Photo courtesy of AP

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 4:53 PM

Smoothy King

Re: arena signage...just wait till y'all see what they've got planed for the roof! Should be unveiled today

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:36 PM
life is good

New gay bar opens on Tulane avenue.

http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/02/...tulane-avenue/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:08 PM
-

Quote:
New gay bar opens on Tulane avenue.

http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/02/...tulane-avenue/
Its definitely starting to change on that street. Whats the current status of the rebuild of the street? I know they had finished an environmental impact. All of these developments help but I think the rebuild of the street is what will really change the vibe.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Its definitely starting to change on that street. Whats the current status of the rebuild of the street? I know they had finished an environmental impact. All of these developments help but I think the rebuild of the street is what will really change the vibe.
I think they were going to reduce Tulane Ave. back to 2 lanes in either direction with a larger median this year. That would be much more aesthetic.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I agree...the old Ives building seems like the perfect size for ISH. I'm also perfectly fine with tearing down the buildings on Tchoup to put up the new hotel. They are not that historically significant, and if I remember correctly had the back wall missing for several years after Katrina. The new hotel would greatly improve that entire intersection. Hopefully, the Sanlin building will get fixed up too.

Hopefully the Sanlin building will be renovated one day in the near future, I just wish the 3 buildings on Tchop. & Common would be renovated and have balconies wrap around Tchop. to the Common St side. It could be used for" higher end" guests. The ground floors could be leased out to other tenants for commercial use. There is still a sense of history to that corner I believe would be missing if the buildings were demo'd, there still is a sense of place "this is New Orleans" which will be missing................. and in 30 years when the "tear down that eyesore!!" crown wants to replace it with something more "trendy" at least the 3 historic buildings will still be there.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
I think they were going to reduce Tulane Ave. back to 2 lanes in either direction with a larger median this year. That would be much more aesthetic.
Other than Saints game days, that should improve traffic, assuming they put in real left-turn lanes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations