HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 5:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
It'll be interesting to see what ends up being done with the Plaza Tower. It's designed for office+residential or hotel, so if they could find a big tenant to lease the lower levels, that could really boost the district. I'd be surprised to see anything new higher than 40 floors in that area though. There's also a decent sized lot across from the Plaza Tower that's ripe for development.

There's also a prime lot, I assume owned by the city, next to the UPT. I love to see the city develop it and use the revenue as a match to help get Baton Rouge rail service going. Maybe it'll finally happen with the state in better shape financially and if it does, a hotel next to the station would do well.
I dont think the stte or city would sell that lot until the howard ave extension gets built... the plaza tower will happen probably once the final phase of south market starts... theres still some development that needs to happen to make itfeasible.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:48 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I dont think the stte or city would sell that lot until the howard ave extension gets built... the plaza tower will happen probably once the final phase of south market starts... theres still some development that needs to happen to make itfeasible.
I noticed this week the lot across the street from The Standard, Plaza tower is for sale. That would be a perfect lot to fit something interesting, especially with that triangular street grid

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
1532 Tulane Partners gets nod for Charity Hospital redevelopment

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...ampaign=buffer
I was in favor of this option too! They had a much healthier mix of uses.

And a correction to the claim the residential market is oversaturated; it's the luxury apartment market; their is an intense need for workforce and subsidized units for many workers and residents.

Also, I hope 1532 Tulane is accountable to the community and includes communal spaces, including a Charity Hospital museum.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeau View Post
I hope and when I look back at it everything they built they doubled the height of the building it went from 7 to 15 (+1floor) then 15 to 29 (-1 floor) so from what I’m getting at, is that the next building will be double the floor count of the Odeon ( +1 floor ) so 61 floors, and I have also noticed that Domain companie likes to have there building at odd number in floor count so what I’m hoping for is a 61 or 59 story building and with that it would be the tallest building in New Orleans and in Louisiana. Now that is what I think and I hope it comes true.
The FAR waiver the Odeon from the city got limited the far to 12 for the entire block. That, in addition to them saying so, means whatever they construct on that lot will most likely definitely be shorter than the Odeon.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccali1214 View Post
I was in favor of this option too! They had a much healthier mix of uses.

And a correction to the claim the residential market is over saturated; it's the luxury apartment market; their is an intense need for workforce and subsidized units for many workers and residents.

Also, I hope 1532 Tulane is accountable to the community and includes communal spaces, including a Charity Hospital museum.
HRIs proposal I noticed had a very negative tone about it and I think that was a bad strategy.. i get when you want to lease something or buy something you talk it down a little to get a better price but theirs was over the top negative and then to ask for way more public subsidies is bizarre. well didnt work out favorably for them so wasnt too smart a strategy. And reusing half their ideas from years ago. plus if you think the residential market is saturated then why propose so much more than the other bidder? curious that ! I think HRI was just trying to get a lot of rentals in the end.. i mean they had to know the city hall thing wouldnt happen .. anyways enough of my rant.. the better project won and will be of great benefit to the immediate area .. so as the buildings basically only current neighbor im happy !

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:16 PM
-

Quote:
The FAR waiver the Odeon from the city got limited the far to 12 for the entire block. That, in addition to them saying so, means whatever they construct on that lot will most likely definitely be shorter than the Odeon.
If they wanted to get more FAR they probably could.. the issue was they didnt want to build enough outdoor space per unit.. if you want to raise FAR you will have to give some concessions im sure .. but no mayor or city council would pass up the opportunity for a new tallest. if they wanted to do that they could!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I noticed this week the lot across the street from The Standard, Plaza tower is for sale. That would be a perfect lot to fit something interesting, especially with that triangular street grid
its an interesting parcel. Landrieu family is selling it

Nineland Partnership, L.L.P. is a Louisiana Registered Limited-Liability Partnership filed on February 7, 1983 . The company's filing status is listed as Inactive and its File Number is 34105722Y. The company's mailing address is 4301 South Prieur Street, New Orleans, LA 70125.
The company has 3 principals on record. The principals are Mark K. Landrieu from New Orleans LA, Mary L. Landrieu from New Orleans LA, and Melanie L. Cook from New Orleans LA.

as for building site: the current height limits on that parcel are a wedding cake type setup .. 75 ft and 6 stories within 20 feet of street and 125 feet and 10 stories passed that.. however, i dont think someone would have much trouble getting height changed there if they wanted too

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:28 PM
-

2900 S Claiborne Ave, Suite 500·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: AM7JB8
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Michael Black
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/3/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Tenant Finish-Out of existing retail shell

djsnola
2917 Magazine St [Baby Bump Maternity LLC]·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: YKP2YH
Type:
Applicant:
Geoffrey Meeker
Draft Application
Date Filed:
10/3/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Renovate coffee shop (new owner) - paint, change finishes and re-branding per sketches.

2538 Dante St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: 6F1DTF
Type:
Applicant:
John C. Williams
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/3/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Tenant build out of existing single-story, single use commercial space into Bakery as per plans.

3745 Frenchmen St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: KAMH5E
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Bryant Lee Sr
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/2/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Change Use permit from a vacant space to a full service restaurant.

While its nice and fun to see lots of new proposals for projects I always find it even more exciting to see things actually file permits to be built (surest thing next to breaking ground that one can have that a project will happen) so good to see two large projects moving forward to this phase of development today !!!

203 Lamarque St·New Construction · Ref Code: W60GGW
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Angela O'byrne
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/3/2018
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of 69-unit apartment building, with off-street parking and commercial/institutional uses at ground floor. Scope of work includes demolition and removal of existing concrete slab on site.

200 Lamarque St, 1239 Brooklyn St·New Construction · Ref Code: G3KW3P
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Angela O'byrne
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/3/2018
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of 98-unit apartment building, with off-street parking and commercial/institutional uses at ground floor. Scope of work includes demolition and removal of existing concrete slab on site.

635 S Peters St·New Construction · Ref Code: 20GWH7
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Rebecca Tamborella
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/3/2018
Closed:
No
Description
The new construction of an 8 level parking garage.

Also with the entire construction plans filed with city last month for Virgin Hotel along with request to resubdivide into one lot of record... i expect the Virgin hotel to begin construrction next month and for sure by the end of the year

Also the building permit was issued for Dinos New Building

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 3, 2018 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
If they wanted to get more FAR they probably could.. the issue was they didnt want to build enough outdoor space per unit.. if you want to raise FAR you will have to give some concessions im sure .. but no mayor or city council would pass up the opportunity for a new tallest. if they wanted to do that they could!
Just to clarify, it's not that they didn't want to (though that's probably true), it's that for the size of their lot and the amount of units they were including, they would not be able to meet their OSOP (On-site open space) requirement.

And while I suppose they could seek another waiver, it's very unlikely since they have confirmed that they have deed restricted (and/or whatever similar legally-binding mechanism) to a FAR of 12.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:46 PM

Man, that 200 Lamarque St project is a sad tale... keeps getting uglier and uglier.... looks like a 1960s bureaucratic nightmare! It's like the developer's don't even get that New Orleans loves color in its architecture...

Also, I;m concerned the new proposal doesn't even include affordable housing

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:50 PM
-

Quote:
Man, that 200 Lamarque St project is a sad tale... keeps getting uglier and uglier.... looks like a 1960s bureaucratic nightmare! It's like the developer's don't even get that New Orleans loves color in its architecture...

Also, I;m concerned the new proposal doesn't even include affordable housing
i have no idea what the latest look will be so i wouldnt judge it all by that rendering.. and if concerned it doesnt include enough or any affordable housing you can thank the city that shrank the overall units allowed... its real simple folks,, if you want cheaper housing then you want more housing! NIMBYS are not your friend

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:53 PM
-

Quote:
Just to clarify, it's not that they didn't want to (though that's probably true), it's that for the size of their lot and the amount of units they were including, they would not be able to meet their OSOP (On-site open space) requirement.

And while I suppose they could seek another waiver, it's very unlikely since they have confirmed that they have deed restricted (and/or whatever similar legally-binding mechanism) to a FAR of 12.
city code was changed to where on site open space can count above 120 feet so they could have put some on the roof but im sure they just proceeded with the easiest option at this time and a deed restriction can be easily rescinded.. the deed restriction is just a must at the time but that could be dealt with later on

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
HRIs proposal I noticed had a very negative tone about it and I think that was a bad strategy.. i get when you want to lease something or buy something you talk it down a little to get a better price but theirs was over the top negative and then to ask for way more public subsidies is bizarre. well didnt work out favorably for them so wasnt too smart a strategy. And reusing half their ideas from years ago. plus if you think the residential market is saturated then why propose so much more than the other bidder? curious that ! I think HRI was just trying to get a lot of rentals in the end.. i mean they had to know the city hall thing wouldnt happen .. anyways enough of my rant.. the better project won and will be of great benefit to the immediate area .. so as the buildings basically only current neighbor im happy !
I hear your rant and see what you are saying about HRI's proposal but i feel like it wasnt so much negative as it was too realistic for an initial development proposal. Its normal to be optimistic in this stage of the bidding process, but in my opinion the 1532 Tulane partners painted far too rosy a picture. Their cost estimates seemed low me, and their proposal just seems to assume that like 15 different uses will occupy the building and assumes too many market rate rentals in a building with low ceilings and not a great layout for apartments (at least from what i have been told). If it works then i will happily be the first to say i was wrong since i really want this project to move forward so it can unlock access to all that under-used CBD area near the overpass, but i fear we are in for a long drawn out development period with the possibility that 1532 partners is unable to get this project to move forward at all.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
but i fear we are in for a long drawn out development period with the possibility that 1532 partners is unable to get this project to move forward at all.
I think the fear is misplaced of this being drawn out .. for on their due diligence period is much less than what HRI wanted... 12 months from lease signing is way too long

but i think everyone.. probably no one more than me .. wants to see that building back into commerce

so fingers crossed this is the one that gets it done!

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 3, 2018 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:23 PM
-

Also heard from a good source that plans are being worked on right now to redo the sanlin building

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:28 PM
TL;DR

The city just needs to commit to a full restoration of City Hall instead of shopping replacement ideas. It's really a great mid-century design, and a lot of the ideas in that building align with the latest thinking on green architecture. A top-to-bottom rehab of the building would be awesome. Just move the government offices into temporary space during the process.

Unforunately bureaucrats aren't architects, so when they see broken elevators, leaky pipes and A/C systems, the response is "tear it down!" We're going through the same thing right now in Chicago with the State of Illinois-owned Thompson Center.

But, New Orleanians turned up to protest the demolition of the WTC (which I never thought possible) so maybe there is public support for preserving modernism.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The city just needs to commit to a full restoration of City Hall instead of shopping replacement ideas. It's really a great mid-century design, and a lot of the ideas in that building align with the latest thinking on green architecture. A top-to-bottom rehab of the building would be awesome. Just move the government offices into temporary space during the process.

Unforunately bureaucrats aren't architects, so when they see broken elevators, leaky pipes and A/C systems, the response is "tear it down!" We're going through the same thing right now in Chicago with the State of Illinois-owned Thompson Center.

But, New Orleanians turned up to protest the demolition of the WTC (which I never thought possible) so maybe there is public support for preserving modernism.
i think its a good enough building to save if they wanted too... its historic so would get tax credits issue is redoing while city hall operates .. not sure if thats posssible

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
i think its a good enough building to save if they wanted too... its historic so would get tax credits issue is redoing while city hall operates .. not sure if thats posssible
It’s a lot of wasted space on the lot. I’d be ok with a new building on a small part of Duncan Plaza fronting Loyola Ave., and turn the city hall lot into a new bigger park facing Poydras and Loyola.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Also heard from a good source that plans are being worked on right now to redo the sanlin building

What are they doing with this building? Would be nice to have a Nordstrom’s or Bloomingdales and some office or apartments above like 10-15 stories above the retail space. Something like the Nordstrom’s store in Manhattan.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:53 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
What are they doing with this building? Would be nice to have a Nordstrom’s or Bloomingdales and some office or apartments above like 10-15 stories above the retail space. Something like the Nordstrom’s store in Manhattan.
Height limits on that block make more than a one or two story addition impossible

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations