HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 12:47 PM

Just a couple things to add

-Email said parking will be between $4-$7 so there will be a few cheaper options. I would also imagine some season ticket holders will carpool to split the parking costs in half. I have free parking downtown at work so this won't be an additional cost for me & plan on offering to drive my seatmate to the games to save him parking fees. I'm sure there's a few examples of this.

-Child/student tickets are half price from the coliseum, so the current family of 4 or parent/child scenario may actually pay roughly the same price as the coliseum

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So, with this information, we can remove all guesswork as to the cost of season's tickets for the Wildcats at the new events centre.

Current Cost at the Coliseum:

- Seasons ticket - $438.00
- HST - $65.70
- Parking - FREE

- Total: $503.70

Base Cost at the Events Centre

- Seasons ticket - $478.00
- HST - $71.70
- Parking @ $5/night - $170.00

- Total: $719.70

Cost for Center Ice A Tickets at the Events Centre

- Seasons ticket - $565.00
- HST - $84.75
- Parking @ $7/night - $238.00

- Total: $887.75

So, in summary:

- Current (Coliseum) - $503.70
- Base (Events Centre) - $719.70 (+43%)
- Premium (Events Centre) - $887.75 (+76%)

And finally, Premium Platinum Level Club seating at the Events Centre will cost:

- Seasons ticket - $1,250.00
- HST - $187.50
- Parking @ $7/night - $238.00

- Total: $1,675.50

Wildcats hockey has just gotten a whole lot pricier than it was at the Coliseum. I wonder what sort of attrition rate there will be amongst current seasons ticket holders?
I think prices go up when any new building opens in any market. I am sure Mr. Irving is paying a lot more to play in the new building as well. I have an acquaintance whose son used to work for this team and he Mentioned to me that Robert Irving expects a big attendance spike when they move downtown.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
So, in summary:

- Current (Coliseum) - $503.70
- Base (Events Centre) - $719.70 (+43%)
- Premium (Events Centre) - $887.75 (+76%)

Wildcats hockey has just gotten a whole lot pricier than it was at the Coliseum. I wonder what sort of attrition rate there will be amongst current seasons ticket holders?
We have a VERY different take on the numbers.

Your numbers imply that every STH is a single person who drives to every game alone. In your average of $5-$7 per parking space per person, you're not including the free street parking available to those who won't mind walking 10 minutes or so.

At 2.5 people/vehicle, and an average of $4/space (that might be high given the street parking within 10m walk) that's $1.60 per person per game.

My take on the numbers:

Coliseum
All seats: $503.70

Events Centre
Average price of a good seat (I'm excluding Ends & Club): $520.00
Parking - $1.60/night (based on avg 2.5 people per car, avg space $4): $54.40
Total: $574.40

Average increase: 14%

Edit: I forgot to add the HST to the Events Centre season ticket price. This results in a 29% increase, not 14% as I posted above. My bad.

I still think the number of STH will be slightly higher than it is now, in part due to the massive reduction in youth/student prices making it around the same price for families as it is at the Coliseum, but moreso for the appeal factor of watching hockey in one of the best venues in the country instead of one of the worst.

Last edited by SevenSquared; Mar 3, 2018 at 4:48 PM. Reason: Morning blunder

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 2:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
We have a VERY different take on the numbers.

Your numbers imply that every STH is a single person who drives to every game alone. In your average of $5-$7 per parking space per person, you're not including the free street parking available to those who won't mind walking 10 minutes or so.

At 2.5 people/vehicle, and an average of $4/space (that might be high given the street parking within 10m walk) that's $1.60 per person per game.

My take on the numbers:

Coliseum
All seats: $503.70

Events Centre
Average price of a good seat (I'm excluding Ends & Club): $520.00
Parking - $1.60/night (based on avg 2.5 people per car, avg space $4): $54.40
Total: $574.40

Average increase: 14%
Fair points.

It should be noted that we aren't sure that on street parking will be free. The city has been muttering that they may extend paid metered parking well into the evening (this apparently to mollify private lot owners and cajole them into opening their formerly bootable lots for events centre parking by removing the "free" competition). I'm not aware that any final decision has been reached.

Some seasons ticket holders live close enough to the Events Centre to walk. Other will take their chances that they can actually find available on street parking. Some others (like lirette) already have a parking space available in the core. The majority of seasons ticket holders however will probably sign up for seasons parking passes with the Wildcats, which will be available for an average cost of $4-8/game ($136-272/season). There's not much point to being a seasons ticket holder if you don't have assured access to a parking space.

Certainly there will be car pooling, but I don't think it will be as high as 2.5 passengers per car. I would venture the more likely ratio is 1.75 passengers per car.

I don't think there is any way to get around the fact that a season of Wildcats hockey is going to cost considerably more in the new Events Centre than it did at the Coliseum. This generally isn't Irving's fault however. The majority of the added cost will be because of parking.

Don't get me wrong, I remain a committed supporter of the Events Centre project. It will be transformative for the city's downtown, and for entertainment options available within the city. There are at least two hotel projects (Hyatt, Hilton) which are directly related to the development of the Events Centre. I'm firmly convinced there will be more positive developments in the neighbourhood in the future.

The only thing that frustrates me is that the city has refused to acknowledge the problem of private bootable surface parking lots in the core. These lots are "dead space", not contributing to economic activity and acting as a psychological impediment to people coming into the downtown to patronize businesses, including the Events Centre. A strategy must be developed to prevent the plague of surface parking from spreading, to replace these lots with enclosed parking structures and to ban the boot.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 3:07 PM

When do people think Naming rights will be announced? Opening Day is fast approaching.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
It's disappointing that attendance is so poor at Magic games. It's probably a reflection of the poor play of their predecessor team (Miracles) over the last five years. They never had a winning season, and only ever won one playoff series. It'll take a while to shake that monkey off their back.

I see that their weekend game against Halifax, they had 1,300 fans or so out to the game (I saw this in the T&T but forget the precise attendance). They are playing well this season, so hopefully things will turn around for them.

I haven't been to a Magic game yet. The old Miracles stank on the court, but always had a decent game day experience for the fans. Has anyone here been to any of their games this season??? Do they still have their dancers and Maximus (the mascot)?? These things help maintain interest.
I meant to respond to this the other day.

I went to a Magic/Halifax game a few weeks ago on a Friday night. My first one of the season

It was a great game where the magic lost by 1 in OT. There is a nice rivalry between these 2 teams and it really helps that the Magic have a winning team.

Maximus no longer exists, they have Dunkin the dragon which I found has a more kid friendly costume. They've added a court level bar area with tables and big screen tv's for people to mingle.

I think what they really need is a long playoff run, getting to the finals to get some new fans on board would go a long way. The Miracles were a .500 team only once in their entire history, people on the fence will never support a losing product, especially in a league that is more than 2-3 steps from the NBA. With the QMJHL you are getting the highest level of hockey for those players in that age range.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:09 PM

Moncton Parking: Bringing Facts To An Opinion Fight

http://huddle.today/moncton-parking-...opinion-fight/

I'd post some sections but I'm in a rush.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting read, but it is an "opinion" piece, and the author has a vested interest in a product he is peddling, so hardly unbiased.

Everyone talks about the 4,000 available spaces, but 80% of them are in private lots, and many of these spots are subject to the boot-Nazis. No one yet knows just how many of these spots will be made available to events goers. As far as seasons ticket holder are concerned, despite the best efforts of Irving, only about 400 spaces have been identified for 2,000 season ticket holders, probably no more than 1/3rd the necessary number to satisfy demand.

We still need a parking structure, despite what the (decidedly biased) author of this article has to say.........

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Everyone talks about the 4,000 available spaces, but 80% of them are in private lots, and many of these spots are subject to the boot-Nazis. No one yet knows just how many of these spots will be made available to events goers.
If there is a demand, why would these spots not be made available to the public?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:44 PM

You have to admit the steps the city is taking to address the 'perceived' parking issue are credible. I.e. Huddle Today article.
1. Installing new parking meters that can record in real-time when a spot is paid by coin, credit card or by phone.
2. Next, by bringing this information online to parkers so they can see in real-time on a website or through the HotSpot app where on-street parking is available roughly 25% of all available parking in Moncton.
3. The city is adding their off-street gated facilities to the real-time parking map.
4. Bring on the private operators so that all or virtually all of the 4000 available parking is in the palm of every event goers hand as they look for parking

Quote:

Interesting read, but it is an "opinion" piece, and the author has a vested interest in a product he is peddling, so hardly unbiased.

Everyone talks about the 4,000 available spaces, but 80% of them are in private lots, and many of these spots are subject to the boot-Nazis. No one yet knows just how many of these spots will be made available to events goers. As far as seasons ticket holder are concerned, despite the best efforts of Irving, only about 400 spaces have been identified for 2,000 season ticket holders, probably no more than 1/3rd the necessary number to satisfy demand.

We still need a parking structure, despite what the (decidedly biased) author of this article has to say.........

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:51 PM
ハルウララ

At some point, eventually, the City of Moncton is going to have to build a public parking garage. The hope is that 1) It's efficiently tied-in/within reasonable distance to the Events Centre, and 2) Replaces current surface parking as effectively as possible. As discussed here previously it's a good bet they're waiting on parking to become an actual, physical issue and using that as their carte-blanche for the cost the garage will entail.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
If there is a demand, why would these spots not be made available to the public?
Many of these spots are already leased, and depending on the wording of the contract, I imagine the lease is open ended (not just for the eight hour work day). The lease owners would likely take umbrage to event goers occupying their spaces.

Events parking likely would require an attendant taking money. This would be a cost of doing business for the lot owners. Maybe they just don't want to be bothered by the hassle, especially if it is a small lot. It might not be worth their while.

With the boot Nazis, lot ownership is simple and cheap. The lot owner doesn't pay the Nazi directly. The Nazi is contracted but makes his money by booting vehicles. All the owner has to do is lease the space to customers on a monthly basis and sit back and let the money roll in. The Nazi meanwhile takes care of everything else - easy peasy.

Why would the lot owner open his lot to evening parking for the events centre? His existing clients no doubt feel they have perpetual access to their spot and they would (understandably) be outraged to find someone else in their spot if they wanted to use it themselves in the evening. All the lot owner's contracts with existing clients would have to be renegotiated. The lot owner would then have to sell new contracts to evening clients, or put attendants on his lots to collect cash. I could understand a lot owner not wanting to play ball with the city. The current system is much easier.......

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 1:08 PM

Did anyone really expect the cost to remain the same or even cheaper at the new center? The experience will be heads and shoulders above the old Coliseum as the atmosphere currently is terrible i find. So i dont think the increase is that substantial especially spread over 35 games. Ill be interested to see what game day prices are going to be. Im shocked at the price of Sea Dogs games. I just cant see myself paying $26+ to watch that kind of hockey.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 5:20 PM

Just to throw my two cents in on a few points:

(1) Re the parking meters: things will have to change. This handy dandy parking app will only tell you if a spot is available if the meter has revenue going through it. If the city decides to stay with free parking after 6 pm and on weekends, the app will show every meter as available and thus of no use. However, I can see the city eliminating the free parking at meters. Example, right now (Saturday morning) out of 829 meters tracked 820 show available which is certainly not true. Don't ask me why the app shows 9 meters being used... maybe 9 poor souls put money in the meter when they didn't need to. Also last I checked the Main Street meters had a 2 hour time limit.

(2) MonctonRad is correct. Our company has a lot downtown that has 22 permit holders who pay by the month. Our lot is on the map that includes these 4,000 available spots. However, our permit holders (some of which work shift work) by signed contract have access to their spots 24/7/365. We cannot (and will not) allow others to use these spaces at any time. I assume this will be the case will many other paid permit lot owners.

(3) There is no big deal in placing the current parking garage and the area behind the Capitol Theatre to the real-time parking map (what they call their off street gated facilities). They will be the first to be filled anyway. Big deal.

(4) Many areas will be gobbled up by Irving first to provide spaces for their season ticket holders. If Heritage doesn't give Irving the number of spaces remaining that they want where do you think the season ticket holders will park? The city may be negotiating with the private lots, but so is Irving I would assume.

(5) All of this still doesn't address the issue of people with lack of mobility and seniors trying to walk on slippery sidewalks/streets in the middle of winter to get to an event after spending a ton of time trying to find a spot.

(6) What will downtown businesses like restaurants do when all of their parking is taken by event goers? What happens when an event at the centre conflicts with an event at the Capitol Theatre? They have season ticket holders as well. The city probably forgot about that one! Where will they park?

(7) The city's head is still stuck in the sand and it is refusing to admit that a parking situation even exists or will exist. For this, read Councillor Turner's latest Facebook comments.

(8) It is too late now to begin building a large parking structure for the opening of the facility, but it better be on the horizon. This is an issue that is not going away and could spell the downfall of the centre if SMG does bring 100 events yearly to the centre (that's one every three days on average).

(9) The CRA survey resulted in stating that about 2/3 of Monctonians believe that there is a parking issue. The Huddle article was written by the inventors of an app that want to push its own agenda. Keep that in mind.

Over and out!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 5:21 PM

Vorkuta, if you are out and about, the outdoor events centre webcam has been down for a few days now. Could be the storms.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 5:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
(4) Many areas will be gobbled up by Irving first to provide spaces for their season ticket holders. If Heritage doesn't give Irving the number of spaces remaining that they want where do you think the season ticket holders will park? The city may be negotiating with the private lots, but so is Irving I would assume.
And so far, after months of negotiation, the Moncton Wildcats (the group with the greatest vested interest in the parking situation) has still only been able to negotiate 400 spaces for season ticket holders, probably only 25-33% of what they need.

If this is the case, what will they have to do the get the additional needed spaces? And we haven't even talked about parking for non season ticket holders.

I am pretty much convinced that very few of the private lot owners are intending to play ball with the city regarding their dispersed parking plan. I smell a fiasco coming and the city is still in a state of denial.

I hope they are planning to look at a plan "B". Something such as using the existing lot at the Coliseum and running shuttle busses to the events centre. I think this will be the only option in the short term. In the long term they will ABSOLUTELY NEED a multilevel downtown parking structure. This is NOT AN OPTION. It is an absolute necessity to ensure the success of the events centre.........

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Just to throw my two cents in on a few points:

(9) The CRA survey resulted in stating that about 2/3 of Monctonians believe that there is a parking issue. The Huddle article was written by the inventors of an app that want to push its own agenda. Keep that in mind.

Over and out!
I take abit of an issue with this one. The sample size was 401 people. These were home phone calls by the CRA.

1) I find this to be an extremely small sample size, if even half of these people barely go to events they probably would say there is a parking issue, because there is far more fear mongering articles about there being a parking issue than ones saying there isnt one. Confirmation bias is tearing apart todays society. "I think there is a potential parking issue with the new building, oh look theres an article about a parking issue at the new building, I probably wont even fact check it, share share share retweet etc|.

2) Most people between 20-40, the ones who a downtown centre is focused on do not even own a home phone. The only people who I know who own home phones anymore are 50+. Those folks are of course more likely to believe there is a parking issue as they are the most vocal about this problem.

I guess I am somewhere in between on this issue. I want the surface parking gone & replaced with garages, and the lots developed with better uses than painted lines. But I also grow increasingly frustrated with the negativity of NB'rs. I am worried that all of these fear mongering articles related to parking will actually drive more people away than the parking issue itself. Maybe the CRA can do a survey on that? People who spend very little time in the downtown area and might think about going to the new arena might stay home because everyone complaining online scared them off. There is a large number of people who even complain about the coliseum parking lot, probably the ones who leave 10 minutes early in a tie hockey game to beat the parking lot rush to save all of 10 minutes. . Not sure why they even bought a ticket.

I still have yet to find anyone answer me how 100000 people park for the santa clause parade. I never attend. But based on the amount of negativity I see online this appears to be a modern miracle.

I understand the weather with icy sidewalks and cold weather, but realistically this winter we had about 3 weeks of unbearable cold and the rest of the winter wasn't that much less mild than a Halifax winter. I see lots of older folks at Scotiabank Centre who somehow navigated the steep hills and long walks from Halifax's parking garages.

If an additional 1000 vehicle parking garage is built on the old coop lot (what im hoping happens) won't people STILL complain that this is too far of a walk?

I do wish the City would do a better PR job here. I wish also they would get information soon on how the bus routes on event nights might change. It seems odd for Dawn Arnold to paint a picture of public transportation dropping you off right at the front door but not giving any encouraging information on more busses on event nights. As someone who lives just down the street from a bus stop in Riverview in the current situation I might only have one opportunity to catch a bus to the event cen. and if I miss it I would be an hour late for the game.

I also hope that the continued highfield street that runs near the events centre entrance has a nice setup for drop offs at the door. The government won't solve all our problems. Some of this will be behaviourial change. The couple who brings their grandparents or parents with them can drop them off at the door and then finding a nearby parking space..but they need to make sure that drop offs are relatively easy to do and encourage them. This even happens at the coliseum today. No matter where the parking garages are built there will be some amount of walking required. The age of convenience for parking in Moncton needs to change in order for the city to grow.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I still have yet to find anyone answer me how 100000 people park for the santa clause parade. I never attend. But based on the amount of negativity I see online this appears to be a modern miracle.
I worked downtown for many years and our company along with most others opened their lots for patrons of the Santa Claus Parade. We all swung the gates open and invited people to park in our lots. Most still do that (except the "bootable" private lot owners). BUT, they will not do this for paid event nights at the new centre. It was a gesture in the spirit of the season, not so with parking for paid events.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 3:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
(7) The city's head is still stuck in the sand and it is refusing to admit that a parking situation even exists or will exist.!
The populace of the greater Moncton area isn't stupid. They know that there is a problem with parking in the downtown. The vast majority of the ocean of surface parking in the core is inaccessible, and, unless you enjoy dealing with a knuckle dragging boot Nazi who has just applied a (potentially damaging) immobilization device to your vehicle, most simply avoid going downtown in the first place unless they really have to.

I'm sure that the planners in city hall look out their window, see surface parking everywhere, and think to themselves that there can't be a problem, and that people are simply being hysterical. As such, they brush off any concerns over the situation or, make unreasonable pronouncements about how delightful it would be to cycle to the events centre instead (in February). This sort of "let them eat cake" attitude is decidedly unhelpful.

It's too late for the Wildcats first season (and second season) in the new events centre now, but if city council were wise, they should be drawing up an urgent plan for a new 1,000 vehicle parking garage (or two) in the core to be ready by 2020. In the meantime, start working on the contingency plan of using Coliseum parking and shuttle busses.

Halifax has multiple enclosed downtown parking garages. So does Saint John, Fredericton and even Charlottetown. Why does city council think that it's such a terrible idea for Moncton????

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 4:20 PM

Look when I think of the parking situation for the new events center makes me laugh when i hear some folks will not support the Wildcats due to parking, Look folks there is plenty of parking available downtown to accommodate virtually everyone that wants to go to an event there, But I don't know why Monctonians are soo afraid to walk a few blocks in the winter. As one guy said on one board we can accomodate 100K for a The Santa Claus parade downtown. I moved from Moncton to Regina and on some Roughriders games there is very limited on site parking and folks either have to walk or even take public transportation to the game. Also when people say that the city should build a parking garage I find that there is tremendous cost associated to it like 15-20K per parking spot to build and to maintain. To recoup the cost of a parking garage of such a scale would be heavy and instead of charging 4-7 bucks a game it could be 10-15 bucks a game on top of the cost of your ticket, So one thing as in Tom said earlier suck it up and you guys have a brand new arena and stop whining if you have to walk 5-10 minutes to the rink.. Fresh winter air won't kill you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces