HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 9:38 PM

Evening downtown view from the river.

https://www.picbear.org/media/B-ivUSVg80r

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 10:02 PM

Camp Trivera

4-2-2020

https://picbabun.com/media/2278663093863448329

Most of those shots are of the lodge.
Some renderings:

https://camp.gswestok.org/types-of-camp/camp-trivera/

I've made a few posts on this project, but I haven't shown any location photos.
Just to be clear, it really is right in the heart of the city, and not in some rural outskirt.

It is just south of the I-44 & I-35 junction in an area that is referred to as the 'Adventure District'.
The name is an attempt to encompass the various attractions clustered together in this spot of the city:
The Zoo, Science Museum, Remington Park, National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, ASA Hall of Fame Stadium.

Here's the cutesy tourist map put out by the district:

https://www.okcadventure.com/about/map/

For a more realistic look, I'll borrow a photo from OKCTalk's thread on the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium.
The camp is east of the zoo, and south of the softball stadium.

original: http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/softball100619a.jpg
source: https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43218&page=3

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 1:50 AM

Finally... a sunny day in the city.
I almost forgot what a sunny day looked like.

4-5-2020

https://twitter.com/stevejkfor/statu...39118229168130

Photos by Steve Johnson

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:24 AM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 2:15 PM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 3:46 PM

Just as I am typing this... the sun has emerged from the clouds and is shining brightly.

I've gotten mighty sick of the (mostly) overcast skies we've had here for the past 3 weeks.
Just to brighten my mood, and perhaps those of others, here are some recent shots from the Myriad Gardens in downtown OKC.

Reblooming lilac, tulips, peonies, and other budding wonders abound...

https://picbabun.com/media/2282056912780810407

https://picbabun.com/media/2281033499794596555

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 7:03 PM

Roundup...

The Bradford House

4-4-2020

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=42173&page=4

NW 36th & Walker

4-4-2020

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43468&page=2

This will be an office building.
Looks essentially finished -- it's very close to the rendering:

https://www.picbear.org/media/BlLR-maH1Ui/

The fate of the 'egg church' across the street is still up in the air.

Miller Johnson Building

4-4-2020

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=42675&page=4

This is the perpetually 'nearly finished' project.

Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

4-4-2020

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43009&page=8

Already starting on the fourth floor.
This is progressing quite quickly.

Cain's Coffee Building

4-4-2020

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=44285

Also a very slow going project.
But, at least, it is still being worked on.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 11:27 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

while we appreciate the actual development photos (lots of good stuff going on), pictures of flowers and sunsets are probably more appropriate for a different thread (e.g. My City Photos) unless they also include actual developments. some might get the impression that you're flooding the thread with random photos in order to keep it at the top of the queue.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
while we appreciate the actual development photos (lots of good stuff going on), pictures of flowers and sunsets are probably more appropriate for a different thread (e.g. My City Photos) unless they also include actual developments. some might get the impression that you're flooding the thread with random photos in order to keep it at the top of the queue.
Exactly.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 5:21 PM

In Peerson's defense, I think he's doing an incredible job at representing his city on here. Some of the photo updates of projects that haven't had a lot of work done since the last update are a little repetitive, but this thread clearly demonstrates how much work has been put into showcasing his city and I hope he keeps up the good work.

He's far from the only one that posts non-development photographs in their city development thread. I also commend the SLC poster(s) for their hard work, which recently had some great spring eye candy shots in between development posts. While I certainly don't discourage anyone from posting updates or photos from their cities, the only one I don't personally prefer is some of the non-development related posts in the Winston-Salem thread, which otherwise looks like a cool city that I would be interested in following. It's cumbersome to load even with a high-speed internet connection, and looking at the furniture of a new coffee shop or 2'X4's being installed on the interior of someone's office space isn't for me and unfortunately discourages me from looking at that one more often.

To each their own though.

I wish there weren't discussions spread among three similar websites so someone could more cohesively get a quick rundown of projects in every city in one place. It really is a handy format.

Des Moines' development discussion forum, project updates, and photo gallery page.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 5:55 PM

I second that DMRyan. I now know so much more about Oklahoma City than I did previously. I understand that many city/metros use this sector of the forum as their local discussion threads. That's great, but it's nice to also have a thread like Peerson's that is a true Development Compilation Thread, featuring great photos of ongoing developments that we can quickly update our knowledge with. I almost feel as if I'm a regular informed visitor of Oklahoma City. Besides, 99.9% percent of Peerson's posts are development centric. It is always interesting to get a feel for a city's topography and scenery, particularly when it is placed in conjunction with a specific development as Peerson almost always posts.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 7:00 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

i agree that Peerson is doing a great job with the project updates. but lately i've also noticed an increasing number of photos that have nothing to do with development. if you wanna post daily photos of incremental progress on the same project that's great. that's within the purview of this particular sub-forum. if you wanna upload a photo that shows a project in its context—maybe surrounded by blooming trees or pretty flowers—that's awesome. it you wanna endlessly discuss your city's construction projects with other forumers: also within the purview of this particular sub-forum. per forum guidelines, however, off-topic posts should be kept to a minimum.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 4:19 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I dunno, I come to this site for the pictures. We don't have enough photography contributors right now. I agree that bumping the thread daily is bad practice, but its okay if he submits occasionally.

In the near future its likely that development will slow down everywhere, might be a good time to catalog in pictures the progress that has been made thus far with shots showing everything as completed.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 5:00 PM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
In Peerson's defense, I think he's doing an incredible job at representing his city on here. Some of the photo updates of projects that haven't had a lot of work done since the last update are a little repetitive, but this thread clearly demonstrates how much work has been put into showcasing his city and I hope he keeps up the good work.

He's far from the only one that posts non-development photographs in their city development thread. I also commend the SLC poster(s) for their hard work, which recently had some great spring eye candy shots in between development posts. While I certainly don't discourage anyone from posting updates or photos from their cities, the only one I don't personally prefer is some of the non-development related posts in the Winston-Salem thread, which otherwise looks like a cool city that I would be interested in following. It's cumbersome to load even with a high-speed internet connection, and looking at the furniture of a new coffee shop or 2'X4's being installed on the interior of someone's office space isn't for me and unfortunately discourages me from looking at that one more often.

To each their own though.

I wish there weren't discussions spread among three similar websites so someone could more cohesively get a quick rundown of projects in every city in one place. It really is a handy format.
It's interesting to see my Winston-Salem update thread discussed when looking for updates on other cities. I often think only a few people are looking at it. It must have more people looking at it than I think? I do want to say I visit this thread often and have no complaints. It looks good as-is.

The building DMRyan is calling a coffee shop is actually a now-completed beer brewery. I guess brewery/brewing/brew house is coffee in the Midwest, but it's beer in the Southeast/Mid-Atlantic. It's a conversion of an old furniture factory into a craft beer brewery and event space. In the future, I will add beer to the breweries to be more clear. We followed it from construction until finish and when projects are completed, I try to show it inside-and-out, including FFE (Furniture - Finishings - Equipment), and encourage everyone to visit and try it. I also love showing interior progress. I think the office building showing 2'x4's is Efird Block, which is an Ohio developer combining a few historic buildings to create one large Nationwide Insurance office building with two floors of retail? With these adaptive-reuse projects, it's common for the exterior to look the same for months, as most of the action happens inside. This building looks exactly the same on the outside as it did a decade ago, but the inside is rapidly taking shape. I'll post an exterior view on the next update, so everyone can see this. Again, I like seeing the inside and won't change this.

This is something that could help others: I think the biggest problem with my thread is... I assemble each update post over roughly two weeks (14-18 days), with very few replies to reduce photographs-per-page (the problem when the city you post on has its own forum), and some projects that are better photographed than others will become massive collections of photographs. Much of this is due to me wanting to stay out of everyone's way and just make two update posts a month instead of several smaller updates. It can lead to 30-40 active projects appearing in one massive post and, with few replies, it adds-up. I'm now trying to limit it to 30 projects-per-post. I don't bump and I post during times when I think everyone else has posted most of their updates and I can be out-of-their-way. Something else that could help someone: I ask my wife and friends for ideas. I'll admit I'm bad at this and want help. For me, I was told to allow my personality to show and add music, which my wife Lauren often helps select. Other things I do: Make it easy to find projects and know what is new and what is completed; Try to keep paragraphs short, which isn't always easy to do; I won't add all of the restaurants/retail projects, unless they are part of a larger project, could attract visitors, or are significant/noteworthy (famous interior architect, something fun and unusual, a noteworthy building, etc.); Off-subject material is posted with the construction updates and clearly labeled and easy to skip-over, if someone doesn't care. I called the thread a "Guide" and this is because I try to educate/show people a city not everyone knows about. It is the all-in-one thread on the city. I try to limit Off-Subject to five images, but sometimes it's a little more or less. I think these threads work better when there are several people sharing updates and not just one person doing it all, but some of us don't have that option. I would recommend doing it your way and trying to be unique. There is no one correct way to do these threads. Overwhelming, with too many photographs, is my biggest problem and I could work on that. Others also do this, creating threads that take all day/night to read and can lead to skimming for those of us without a large amount of time to look through it all. Yes, I do it too and will do this roughly a week from now, in the next update. Like forum member llamaorama, above, I also enjoy photographs.

Again, please continue updating this. People are looking at it, including me. With a young family and job and home ownership, etc., I don't always have time to tell everyone I enjoy their hard work on these threads and I know it's hard work. It's so hard I've wanted to quit for the past five years, but always allow someone to talk me out-of-it. Be supportive of those investing the time and effort, which is very true of the threads with only one person doing most of the work.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 9:37 PM

I really enjoy the updates here. Pictures of flowers account for less than 1% of all his posts so what is the issue?

As for the before and after photos; I can not look at those. I literally get sick. It would be easier to stomach if the entire Pei Plan came to fruition but even that fell through. What a bad hand of cards OKC was dealt.

I hope you keep up the photos. OKC and Tulsa are poised to take off if the state can get its shit together.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
I am genuinely curious here--not being a smart ass--is this something that is a problem or people do? What is the point of doing that? Just to piss people are thinking it will promote the city more?

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
I really enjoy the updates here. Pictures of flowers account for less than 1% of all his posts so what is the issue?

As for the before and after photos; I can not look at those. I literally get sick. It would be easier to stomach if the entire Pei Plan came to fruition but even that fell through. What a bad hand of cards OKC was dealt.

I hope you keep up the photos. OKC and Tulsa are poised to take off if the state can get its shit together.
There's been no development-related posts on this thread in a month. It seems like, unfortunately, Peerson has been effectively scared off of SSP. Unfortunate as he was doing a great job of keeping this thread updated and I enjoyed his posts.

Certain forumers should probably allow the moderators to dictate what posts that are off topic, since, you know, that's why mods exist on forums; to moderate. If Peerson had been told by a mod to stop posting flower photos and he kept doing it that's one thing, but as far as we know that's not the case here.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
There's been no development-related posts on this thread in a month. It seems like, unfortunately, Peerson has been effectively scared off of SSP. Unfortunate as he was doing a great job of keeping this thread updated and I enjoyed his posts.

Certain forumers should probably allow the moderators to dictate what posts that are off topic, since, you know, that's why mods exist on forums; to moderate. If Peerson had been told by a mod to stop posting flower photos and he kept doing it that's one thing, but as far as we know that's not the case here.
Wow. The person who made the initial post criticizing Peerson is a complete asshole. That really sucks and I have been away for a couple months myself and didn’t realize, sadly, how long it has been.

I’m sure the moderators here know how to do their job without others telling them. What a shame. I even learned about some projects from Peerson that I didn’t even see on OKCTalk which is the main local forum for development in OKC.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 2:50 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

give me a break. i didn't "scare him off" by complimenting his development-related posts but suggesting that repeated pics of flowers and sunsets (which aren't development related) are more appropriate for the general photo thread (which they are). i'm not the only one that noticed the constant thread bumping.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:02 AM

I just looked back through several dozen photos and maybe two or three of them were photos of sunsets or flowers. I see all the time skyline pics, sunsets, and other general photos of cities thrown in with development pictures. The LA thread often has photos like these. I fail to see the issue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations