HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually, I think San Antonio would look better with some glass. I don't say that because of a bias since Austin does have tons of it now, but rather because I'd rather not see a bunch of modern buildings pretending to be old and trying to fit in San Antonio and only ending up upstaging San Antonio's old stock. To me, that's more disrespectful to that era than glass is. There's also the bonus of glass reflecting those old facades and making for some cool sightlines, even giving you a view of it in reflection before you walk around the corner and see it. One city that I think of in this instance is Kansas City where they have a lot of old skyscrapers and also new glass towers.

If any place needs some that look old like the one above in Chicago, it's Austin, since we have so few of them. We only have two buildings taller than 300 feet that were built before the 1940s. The Texas Capitol and the University of Texas Tower. And we have no 200 footers that were built before the 1960s.

The Floodgate is a really unique design, definitely modern, and definitely not an homage to anything even resembling "old". It reminds me more of The Independent in Austin than it it reminds me of anything else in San Antonio. I do think it fits in, and it's not without its nod to say, the Tower Life Building.
For sure, I definitely agree SA needs some glass. The beige/brown theme definitely needs to be offset a lot. Didn't mean that to be a diss towards Austin either, I just mean since there's a relative lack of height downtown right now, I'd hate to see the good buildings get swamped by generic yet tall apartment towers.

The Independent, Indeed Tower and The Republic are good examples I can think of that are glass towers with character. 6x is good too. I can't think of many good modern apt towers that aren't all glass off the top of my head, but I'd definitely like to see some architectural variety here if they're gonna start building taller. SA could very easily start to look like a mini Vancouver if they start plopping those towers all over the perimeter of downtown since we seem to be hovering on that 350-400 ft plateau.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 5:41 AM

I get the feeling new construction has to follow strict LEED energy efficiency city codes. With the exception of the new Frost Bank building I noticed the rest use little glass with a stucco exterior where the sun may mostly hit.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 1:22 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'm in favor of neither all glass or stucco. I'm tired of both. There are plenty of other options. Maybe some architect can start a much needed new trend for others to follow.

I'm tired of stacked boxes too.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 9:13 PM

305 soledad is a great design in my opinion. I hope we get more designs like that in the future.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Reyes View Post
305 soledad is a great design in my opinion. I hope we get more designs like that in the future.
It's alright, but if more and more of these buildings of that style and height get built around the perimeter of downtown (where they almost certainly will go) it's gonna turn bland really quick.

Some of the newer residential buildings in NYC are good (the supertall in Brooklyn, jenga building in Tribeca and some of the ones around Central Park come to mind)

Obviously that's a totally different league but it goes to show they can make a non copy and paste residential building if they wanted to.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
It's alright, but if more and more of these buildings of that style and height get built around the perimeter of downtown (where they almost certainly will go) it's gonna turn bland really quick.

Some of the newer residential buildings in NYC are good (the supertall in Brooklyn, jenga building in Tribeca and some of the ones around Central Park come to mind)

Obviously that's a totally different league but it goes to show they can make a non copy and paste residential building if they wanted to.
The new Hemisfair tower looks strikingly similar. I see what you're saying, but a few buildings like that just to add some urban density wouldn't hurt. We're starved for both height and density.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP View Post
The new Hemisfair tower looks strikingly similar. I see what you're saying, but a few buildings like that just to add some urban density wouldn't hurt. We're starved for both height and density.
Definitely agree. I'm all for any developments with some height and density, we need it. I just hope the developers/architects put some thought into future residential projects since office towers like the Frost seem to be going out the wayside these days.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 5:23 AM

Question

Photo update? Please.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 6:09 AM

[IMG]The Floodgate Construction by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 10:54 PM

Screen grabs from TexasTravelers on YouTube. I think this is gonna start to come together once the white paint/facade material goes on.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 4:50 PM

I'm not liking the white rails on the balconies. Why not use clear glass?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I'm not liking the white rails on the balconies. Why not use clear glass?
Yeah I agree glass would have been a cleaner look. Maybe the used the white rails to accentuate the shape of the building? I guess we'll see how it ends up looking when the facade is done. Right now there's too much of a contrast.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 9:27 PM

Question

Any update on this?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 10:09 AM

Saw this on reddit, from the almost finished 1Watson rooftop bar. Seems like the facade is moving at a snails pace lol.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 2:45 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I'm desperate for the sun to come out but that foggy cityscape this morning was pretty rad, love that image.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 11:53 PM

Any photo updates?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Reyes View Post
Any photo updates?
Not the best picture, but from a couple days ago. Seems like it's moving at a snails pace. If you go on IG and look at the location for the new 1Watson rooftop you'll see pics cause it has a direct view of it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 4:48 PM

Views from 1 Watson on Jan. 21, 2023!

https://imgur.com/gallery/tWTPErg

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 6:13 AM

Question

Is this completed yet?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:22 PM

It is not complete. The last few months has seen very little change to the outside facade. Hopefully they've been working on the interior and the automated parking system.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio