HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:15 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Gogii Games have now taken over all the office space in the Tim Hortons building on Main St. They are growing pretty quick...they have around 60 employees now in that building are have made lots of popular mobile games for iPhone and iPad. A real Moncton success story

They displaced the offices of Konica Minolta to the Moncton Industrial Park...but it was a good move for them too with added space and a big receiving area. They took over the old IGT building on Henri Dunnet (IGT is in 1077 St George Blvd. now).

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:18 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Couple of downtown tidbits:

- Cafe Cognito has reopened in it's new location next to Catch 22 Lobster Bar.
- C'est la Vie Cafe will decamp Highfield Square and relocate to the old Candy Chameleon location in the central part of Main Street.

With Colpitt's planned reopening soon, I'm beginning to have hopes of a Main Street renaissance.
Awesome! I had wondered what that place was next to Catch 22...they don't even have a sign up yet but its always packed

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 6:01 PM

I decided to post this in the central thread -- could go elsewhere.

Old Moncton High to house students, staff in 2013

Quote:
The provincial government announced last week that construction delays will mean the new school will now open in 2014, a year later than scheduled.

The total cost of the school project is now expected to come in at $48 million, up from $45 million.
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ingersoll.html

And from 2010:

Quote:
Ontario-based CS&P Architects said it could cost $48 million to bring the school up to building code. Many new schools are expected to have a life of 30 years.
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...sure-1056.html

So with all the inconveniences to residents and the extra cost to the city, not even the province is saving a penny. There's no emoticon for this.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 6:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
So with all the inconveniences to residents and the extra cost to the city, not even the province is saving a penny. There's no emoticon for this.
There is most definitely a suitable emoticon pierre.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Osaka Hibachi, the new Japanese restaurant in the Humphrey Block on Main St across from the Marriott Hotel must be about to open. There are "now hiring" signs in the window.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Osaka Hibachi, the new Japanese restaurant in the Humphrey Block on Main St across from the Marriott Hotel must be about to open. There are "now hiring" signs in the window.
I walked by this place last weekend and couldn't see a thing through those tinted windows. Looked like the place was dead. I really hope they do something about those windows. Would be nice to be able to see what's going on in there during the evening hours all lighted up.

Actually, maybe it wasn't tinted windows, perhaps it was covering from the inside. Anyway, my point is, I really hope the restaurant takes advantage of those large windows to showcase the inside.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 5:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Actually, maybe it wasn't tinted windows, perhaps it was covering from the inside. Anyway, my point is, I really hope the restaurant takes advantage of those large windows to showcase the inside.
It would also be nice to have lively signage for the new restaurant as well. The Humphrey Block is a very institutional type building with a bland street presence. People need to know that the building will soon contain a higher quality exotic restaurant.

Something in neon would be quite nice....

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 12:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It would also be nice to have lively signage for the new restaurant as well. The Humphrey Block is a very institutional type building with a bland street presence. People need to know that the building will soon contain a higher quality exotic restaurant.

Something in neon would be quite nice....
They are starting to put up exterior decorating for the Osaka Hibachi. So far, there is a red awning of sorts with Japanese lettering. Still no actual sign for the restaurant, but I'm sure it's coming soon.

There is a cluster of good restaurants now in that little three block strip on East Main St:
- The Keg
- The Tide & Boar Gastropub
- Catch 22 Lobster Bar
- Pink Sushi
- Osaka Hibachi

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 1:07 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
They are starting to put up exterior decorating for the Osaka Hibachi. So far, there is a red awning of sorts with Japanese lettering. Still no actual sign for the restaurant, but I'm sure it's coming soon.

There is a cluster of good restaurants now in that little three block strip on East Main St:
- The Keg
- The Tide & Boar Gastropub
- Catch 22 Lobster Bar
- Pink Sushi
- Osaka Hibachi
Dont forget the Pumphouse and Saigon Thai which are in the same building as Osaka Hibachi

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 2:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Dont forget the Pumphouse and Saigon Thai which are in the same building as Osaka Hibachi
Good point. I didn't think of them because they aren't right on Main St.

For that matter, you could include the Triio and Windjammer restaurants in the Delta Beausejour too, and since Mexicali Rosa is just across the street from Pink Sushi, I guess you have to include it as well.

There are at least 6-8 other good restaurants in the central portion of Main Street too. Main may be lacking in retail, but it is replete with restaurants, pubs and coffee shops.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 3:48 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Dont' forget Pastelli's.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Just noticed that there's a For Rent sign on the two story brick office building near the corner of King and Main. If I'm not mistaken, that space is currently being used for the Federal Government. It's for just over 25k square feet. I wonder if they're consolidating somewhere?

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 2:11 AM
I have no Title

They are moving into the Assumption Building in the old courts floors.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 12:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a photo of the new Japanese restaurant in the Humphrey Block across from the Marriott Hotel:

I believe the name will still be Osaka Hibachi. The small "now hiring" signs in the window still call it that. Teppanyaki apparently refers to a type of Japanese cuisine.

The Humphrey Block looks a lot better all dressed up!

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:44 AM

WOW! That looks really nice.

Does anyone know what's up with all those orange paint marks between the curb & sidewalk all along Main st? They are visible in the photo above. Something to do with the Main st parking debacle?

Speaking of Main st parking. How in the heck are emergency vehicles going to get through the future gridlock two lane street?

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:40 AM

And so it begins.. Today's Times & Transcript

Quote:
Former CN Terminal Plaza to be reborn

BY BRENT MAZEROLLE

TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF
24 May 2012 08:23AM

The glass house is about to get a whole lot glassier, and a whole lot better in another sign that downtown west of the subway rail overpass is about to be reborn.

The building in this instance was once the hub of activity in Moncton’s downtown, the Atlantic regional headquarters of the Canadian National Railroad. For a generation, even the building’s address, 1234 Main Street, somehow seemed to speak of it being at the heart of the action in Moncton.

When the iconic CN logo came down and the last of the railway’s workers left in 2003, it signalled the end of an era for Moncton.

It was certainly the end of an era for the building, colloquially known as “the glass house” for what was its then-ultra-modern facade when it opened in 1962.

Now the building is poised to get a multi-million-dollar facelift from owner Crombie REIT Properties, the real estate branch of the Sobeys empire.

The Greater Moncton Planning District Commission granted the company the necessary variances and permissions Wednesday night to proceed with the work.
I'm sure the rest of the article will surface elsewhere shortly. It doesn't give much more information, other than the exterior will completely be refinished to look something similar to the BMO building on Main St.. The interior will also be completely refinished, which will add to the square footage - this should be very nice. There are also plans for the second building, and they will only be proceeding with phase 1 at this point.. Project begins in September - will take approximately 12 months.. That about sums it up!

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Here's a photo of the new Japanese restaurant in the Humphrey Block across from the Marriott Hotel:

I believe the name will still be Osaka Hibachi. The small "now hiring" signs in the window still call it that. Teppanyaki apparently refers to a type of Japanese cuisine.

The Humphrey Block looks a lot better all dressed up!

Wikipedia - Teppanyaki (鉄板焼き teppan-yaki?) is a style of Japanese cuisine that uses an iron griddle to cook food. The word teppanyaki is derived from teppan (鉄板), which means iron plate, and yaki (焼き), which means grilled, broiled or pan-fried. In Japan, teppanyaki refers to dishes cooked using an iron plate, including steak, shrimp, okonomiyaki, yakisoba, and monjayaki.
Modern teppanyaki grills are typically propane-heated flat surface grills, and are widely used to cook food in front of guests at restaurants. Teppanyaki grills are commonly confused with the hibachi barbecue grill, which has a charcoal or gas flame and is made with an open grate design.[1] With a solid griddle type cook surface, the teppanyaki is more suitable for smaller ingredients, such as rice, egg, and finely chopped vegetables.

I can't wait for this to open!!

Now if we could just get a decent "Greek" restaurant in this city...something like "Opa" in HFX (Renamed now, but not sure the new name...heard they were opening here, which woud be awesome, but they never have)

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 1:27 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Dmitri's in Fredericton is good for Greek.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
Now if we could just get a decent "Greek" restaurant in this city...something like "Opa" in HFX (Renamed now, but not sure the new name...heard they were opening here, which woud be awesome, but they never have)
I believe it is now "Ela".

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 8:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I'm sure the rest of the article will surface elsewhere shortly. It doesn't give much more information, other than the exterior will completely be refinished to look something similar to the BMO building on Main St.. The interior will also be completely refinished, which will add to the square footage - this should be very nice. There are also plans for the second building, and they will only be proceeding with phase 1 at this point.. Project begins in September - will take approximately 12 months.. That about sums it up!
Indeed, this is the link to the full article from a freely available site on the internet:

http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9003

This sounds like a major renovation project and I can't imagine Crombie not also renovating the second office tower as well. i'm sure that will occur in short order after the first renovation project is complete.

I think it's safe to say that Crombie REIT is merely reinvesting the profits they will make from the sale of Highfield Square next door. This is what George LeBlanc meant when he stated that the "uncertainty" about the location of the events centre was actually delaying investment decisions in the core.

I think this is a major vote of confidence in the future of the west end of the downtown core. Once the announcement is finally made about the construction of the events centre itself, I imagine other announcements will shortly follow about the Aquillini block and possibly also the block with the old CIBC and Coast Tire on it.

The next 5-7 years should be very interesting along West Main St.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces