HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:56 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
It's nice that something is being done but I can't help but feel that for such a high profile location in downtown that this building is under-serving the space.

Put down your torches and pitchforks, I'm not asking for a super-tall. I would've just liked to see a modest office tower ontop of it. It could easily be a mixed-use building with 10-15 stories of office space. But 4 floors in the middle of downtown?!
It's going to be the equivalent height of a 6-storey building when it's all said and done. THat's not unreasonable or out of line for the area.

It's good, high quality filler.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 6:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
It's nice that something is being done but I can't help but feel that for such a high profile location in downtown that this building is under-serving the space.

Put down your torches and pitchforks, I'm not asking for a super-tall. I would've just liked to see a modest office tower ontop of it. It could easily be a mixed-use building with 10-15 stories of office space. But 4 floors in the middle of downtown?!
I think the new building is appropriately sized for its location. The sites you want to be focusing on Scryer are across Westbrook on the Richardson properties. I think the surface lots east of the Lombard and Tetra Tech just screams new signature skyscraper that would be a focal point for downtown forever in those locations.

The Richardson Innovation Centre bridges the gap perfectly to the Exchange and the ballpark.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 6:59 PM
What could go wrong?

Come to think of it I would love for the Richardsons to build the original rendering of their home office.....obviously it would have to be built cost effectively, with precast features rather than crafted masonry, but I think it would be magnificent.

Picture this on the corner of Portage Ave and Westbrook overlooking the ballpark and CMHR.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Richardson Centre (manages the Richardson and Tetra Tech buildings) is doing outdoor plaza renovations around the Tetra Tech building either now or shortly.
Quote:
I suddenly doubted myself so looked in my email archive:
I like that they mention how this is "Phase 1" – that obviously means the rumoured renovations to the main Richardson Plaza and area near P&M are coming. It needs it – I walk by there a few times a week and a lot of the pavers between Richardson Building and Fairmont are wobbling and broken – you can see holes that seem to go 10 feet down below a few haha.

Quote:

I think it's very appropriately sized for its surroundings, especially since as mentioned, it'll be equivalent of 6 storeys high. It's along the tracks and it'll fit in well with the warehouses on Lombard, including Nutty Club. I'd rather "save" the taller buildings for the numerous empty lots west of Westbrook, along TetraTech and BellMTS towers.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:03 AM

You guys this is downtown not some suburb. Downtown can afford the density and justify a little more height. Anything under 10 floors in the city's core, is a joke. However there are a ton of surface parking lots.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:34 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
You guys this is downtown not some suburb. Downtown can afford the density and justify a little more height. Anything under 10 floors in the city's core, is a joke. However there are a ton of surface parking lots.
So you'd rather this get built in the suburbs?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Is that a serious statement? Lots of the most vibrant & urban places in the world consist of lots of 4-6 story buildings and not just high rises. Arguably that's actually better for density and it's certainly better for activating the streets. I get that this is skyscraper page but mid-rise is the backbone of any vibrant city.

Granted, I'm thinking of places in Europe and Asia where the low and mid-rises are packed super tight and are very mixed-use - the Richardson project doesn't quite fit that description but still there's more to a downtown than just high rises.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:05 PM

Update: Phase 2 maybe starting early? There's construction fencing surrounding the NW and SW sides of the Richardson building, and numerous pavers have already been removed.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:01 PM

getting ready for PanM opening.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 7:06 PM
surely you agree with me

^they were. the barricades from Lombard to tetratech are part of the plaza renewal contract being done by the Richardson's. I guess they had better not get there until after the vote. It would have been open to BMO by November.

This money was approved by council.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
So you'd rather this get built in the suburbs?
Back to school for you. Read what I wrote, don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:
Is that a serious statement? Lots of the most vibrant & urban places in the world consist of lots of 4-6 story buildings and not just high rises. Arguably that's actually better for density and it's certainly better for activating the streets. I get that this is skyscraper page but mid-rise is the backbone of any vibrant city.

Granted, I'm thinking of places in Europe and Asia where the low and mid-rises are packed super tight and are very mixed-use - the Richardson project doesn't quite fit that description but still there's more to a downtown than just high rises.
Is this a serious statement?

Again, I've never discredited the importance of mid-rises or low-rises. But according to the National Post it defines a mid-rise as a building between 5-11 storeys.... which was exactly what I was suggesting give or take a few floors. Again, put out your torch, leave your pitchfork in the shed, and get over yourself; I wasn't shitting myself over the fact that we don't have a supertall going there, I was expecting much better for such a great location next to the forks. Is 10 stories too much to ask for in the core? No worries, I'm sure that I'll get something mediocre redeveloped on one of our many parking lots in the next decade .

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:08 AM

Construction cam:
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:46 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Back to school for you. Read what I wrote, don't put words in my mouth.
I'm "putting words in your mouth" because it's a food science building and laboratory. It's not going to have 10 floors added to it, so options are as/where is or in the suburbs.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 6:13 PM

Yeah, realistically it could have made a lot of sense for Richardson to build this near their farms outside the city.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 9:38 PM

Anthony Urso (@anthony_urso) on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnwaCl2h...y=anthony_urso

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 3:10 PM

It is close to their head office and a lot their business, brings high end jobs to downtown and fills a surface lot. Sorry i’m not holier than thou enough to rag on this project.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
It is close to their head office and a lot their business, brings high end jobs to downtown and fills a surface lot. Sorry i’m not holier than thou enough to rag on this project.
Agreed right here.

Plus it's in a more commercially untested area of downtown.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:29 PM

This development is great news for that stretch. The giant field of parking lots was/remains one of the biggest impediments to an integration of the waterfront/Exchange/P&M areas. This helps on that front, as does the Hyatt under development.

All hinges a little on P&M opening, but it feels like there's some good momentum...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 9:09 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah, realistically it could have made a lot of sense for Richardson to build this near their farms outside the city.
Not sure where you get this idea from. People who will be working here are already currently working within the Richardson building. So they are already downtown.

This building is mostly labs, office and space dedicated towards product development and client interactions.

The third and forth floors are entirely office space.

It belongs no where near a farm.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:02 AM
surely you agree with me

The project was a renovation of the lab for sale beside the mint at one point. A dedication to downtown by the Richardson family brought it back, despite the likely increased cost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan