HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 7:41 AM

Wow, I'm so glad Parkside is a historic district, because a box here would be so awful. That looks totally fine, and honestly just passing by you wouldn't know whether its appearance is because it's brand new or has undergone alterations. I would love to see these blocks fill in entirely, it's such a beautiful part of town. I wish developers would go this route, even if they weren't forced to. Blocks look so much better if the rhythm is maintained (unless it's already an eclectic block)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 12:54 PM

Amazing to see! I’ve long been saying that Parkside has the potential to be one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Philly. It sits right off of Fairmount Park. The buildings lining Parkside Ave are jawdroppingly stunning. It ha public transit access via the Girard Street Trolley. So glad to see this neighborhood start to take off.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 2:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah it's a 80% facsimile, but that 80% facsimile makes me really happy.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:21 PM
Future World Dictator

West Philly has some of the most beautiful architecture in the city, and it's a shame it's so under appreciated.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Yeah it's a 80% facsimile, but that 80% facsimile makes me really happy.
Wow, that is very nice. I wonder how the owner/builder figured out where to stop. Like the brick work is outstanding, the thin buttered joints are great, but why not make the windows on the 2nd fl. bay taller, which wouldn't cost too much, or use round columns on the porch? But, I'd take this over 99.5% of the junk that's built up against nice old buildings in a heart beat. This is the sortof work that the City should bend over to have done.

I remember taking a tour of the Parkside area in the mid 70's when I first moved to Philly, and even then it was accepted as an outstanding area that needed lots of love. Fortunately it hasn't lost much since then; there was a couple of people who worked very hard on trying to save whatever was possible.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 6:28 PM

Anyone know what 4100 Parkside is expected to look like?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 7:19 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I remember taking a tour of the Parkside area in the mid 70's when I first moved to Philly, and even then it was accepted as an outstanding area that needed lots of love. Fortunately it hasn't lost much since then; there was a couple of people who worked very hard on trying to save whatever was possible.
James L. Brown IV and his wife Charlotte were instrumental in Parkside historic restorations for decades:

https://parksidejournal.wordpress.co...ewnetzero-com/

https://www.rudybruneraward.org/wp-c...eservation.pdf

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
They were doing test bores I believe on the site of the planned "Ridge Flats" apartment building in East Falls last week

Here's the project for those that forget:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ridge-fl...al-renderings/
i saw some activity there a few weeks ago when i was on kelly drive. This lot has been vacant forever, lets hope this is really advancing. A lot of false starts.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:27 PM

New York-based group to build apartments at site once eyed by electrical workers’ union charter school

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/six-ac...-20201207.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:44 PM

110 Units + Commercial Proposed in Kensington on American Street

Rendering:

Current site:

Site plans:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/110-uni...erican-street/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:47 PM

70 Units + Retail Planned Near Broad and Allegheny

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/70-unit...and-allegheny/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:51 PM

160-Unit Mixed-Use Complex Proposed For 2630 West Girard Avenue In Brewerytown

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/12/160-...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:54 PM

Permits Filed For The Maven, A 28-Unit Mixed-Use Project At 1533 Ridge Avenue In Francisville

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/12/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 8:21 PM

Looks like there's some food / kitchen production work going on in West Philly / Parkside too.

3300 Fairmount: https://www.inquirer.com/resizer/5Jo...TNRXOVIEXI.jpg

Article mentions one near 13 and Girard too, but haven't seen the photo of that one.

https://www.inquirer.com/food/ghost-...-20201205.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
New York-based group to build apartments at site once eyed by electrical workers’ union charter school

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/six-ac...-20201207.html
The electricians' union has a charter school? Huh? No one should be letting Johnny Doc near our children!!!!

In other news, has it been mentioned on here that there are plans to bring a renovated Louis Kahn designed floating barge built in the 70s and dock it by the old PECO plant on the Delaware River? Very cool structure and could be an awesome outdoor concert venue.

Quote:
An effort is underway to bring a world-famous, Louis I. Kahn-designed floating music barge to Philadelphia and have it docked in the Delaware River.

Named Point Counterpoint II, the vessel was designed by renowned Philadelphia architect at the behest of Robert Boudreau, an internationally known music director, conductor and founder of the American Wind Symphony Orchestra in Pittsburgh. The 195-foot long barge served as the home for the orchestra since it was built in 1976 as part of the Bicentennial. The orchestra used the barge until 2017.

Through a relationship with another architect who was helping to find a new home for the barge, Boudreau said he was introduced to Dean Adler, who co-founded Philadelphia-based Lubert-Adler Real Estate Management Co., which raises funds to buy real estate across the country. Through discussions, an agreement was struck in which Point Counterpoint II would be sold and docked in the Delaware River at a sprawling property that had once been used as a power plant by Philadelphia Electric Co. It was bought by an affiliate of Lubert-Adler in late 2019 for $14.24 million.
Biz Journal Link

Architect's Newspaper Link

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:27 PM

^^Was literally just going to post about that. Pretty cool!

Louis Kahn’s Point Counterpoint II finds a permanent home in Philadelphia

Quote:
It’s a fitting end to a years-long saga full of twists, turns, heartbreak, and potential calamity. Louis Kahn’s floating music barge for the American Wind Symphony Orchestra (AWSO), Point Counterpoint II, finally has a forever home.

As Architectural Record first broke, the barge is being towed to Philadelphia and restored as part of the conversion of the 1917 Delaware Power Station into a future arts center; it’s expected to anchor the complex’s music program when it opens in 2022.
Read more here:
https://www.archpaper.com/2020/12/lo...-philadelphia/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 9:39 PM

^Very cool about the music barge. The PECO site really could be very interesting. Here's to hoping the industry recovers quickly to make it a viable project.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:08 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Holy shit, that would be amazing if it comes to fruition!! I don't think the concept is that far-fetched either: the area surrounding North Philadelphia Station is already starting to see some projects, such as the recently-announced project near Broad and Allegheny. With its proximity to Center City, superior access to the SEPTA system (and Amtrak to a lesser extent), and location between Temple's Main and Health Sciences campus, this project makes a ton of sense--especially since it would undoubtedly qualify for a myriad of funding/cost reduction vehicles (historic tax credits, PA grant funding, KOZ/federal QOZ designation, etc.).

This post reminds me of something I was thinking about yesterday: Philadelphia really needs a champion for growth. Development from South Kensington and Norris Square is spilling over into Ludlow and even Harntraft. Eventually, something is going to break ground on Lehigh between North Broad and Kensington Ave, which will truly signify the rebirth of North Philly. Not only should we actively plan for growth, but we should also aggressively market growing areas to beget more growth.

For example: with this project, the North Station District, and several other projects proposed to the immediate south, the City should be pushing for Amtrak and SEPTA to come up with a comprehensive plan for the transit node at Broad and Lehigh. Amtrak's North Philadelphia Station needs a full rehab and more frequent Amtrak service, SEPTA's North Broad Station needs high-level platforms and other general improvements, and the North Philadelphia BSL stop could benefit from the return of express service (the Ridge-Spur does make a stop there, but North Philadelphia has a higher level of ridership than Race-Vine). Meanwhile, with these improvements, the city could market the area to people with the ability to work from home in the NYC area who still desire to live in a city with a strong connection to NYC, but at a deeply discounted rate.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Nice, is there a new owner?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development