HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 5:38 PM

What a waste of land...

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 7:03 PM

Is there any information as to when Phase 3 will begin construction?

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakche View Post
Is there any information as to when Phase 3 will begin construction?
I could be wrong, but I heard something about sales this fall for Phase 3. So depending on how fast that happens I would assume a start of spring 2011. Should be a pretty quick build as well just do to the lack of height. I would like them to keep pushing so they can get to the phases with commerical to make the area more livable.

Cheers,
Josh

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 9:21 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 2:45 PM

Some shots from the 6th floor with others to follow…

Unit 611 – South-West corner of the building

Last edited by K-133; May 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 2:46 PM

Unit 621 – Unit directly above the breezeway / East-West Facing

Last edited by K-133; May 21, 2010 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 6:11 PM

Unit 601 - NW corner

Great view of the river and the hill for the price! (875 Sq-ft $300,000 + parking)

This was from 602 but demonstrates the view:

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 6:19 PM

Unit 602 - NE Corner

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 8:41 PM

I think that last picture is a great snapshot of what living on the Flats is supposed to be all about. I mean, in terms of the views, water, greenery, etc. as well as the proximity to the Hill and the rest of Downtown.

Thanks for posting these pics.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condo_dreams View Post
I think that last picture is a great snapshot of what living on the Flats is supposed to be all about. I mean, in terms of the views, water, greenery, etc. as well as the proximity to the Hill and the rest of Downtown.

Thanks for posting these pics.
I guess I should have paid more attention when the development proposals were first made. I had assumed that the Flats would become a vibrant urban community, filled with shops and restaurants and pubs, and drawing in lots of pedestrians, especially along the canal. As these first phases come together, I find it all rather lifeless and sterile (albeit with some stellar views from some units). Nice for people who want to live quietly in parkland, but hardly a strong addition to Ottawa's urban fabric. So far, I am very disappointed, especially since I had been considering purchasing there myself.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I guess I should have paid more attention when the development proposals were first made. I had assumed that the Flats would become a vibrant urban community, filled with shops and restaurants and pubs, and drawing in lots of pedestrians, especially along the canal. As these first phases come together, I find it all rather lifeless and sterile (albeit with some stellar views from some units). Nice for people who want to live quietly in parkland, but hardly a strong addition to Ottawa's urban fabric. So far, I am very disappointed, especially since I had been considering purchasing there myself.
There's no question that it's gonna be a real neighbourhood someday, but it is going to take at least 20 years. They haven't even finished the first building of phase 1 yet and there is currently no retail (nor should there be given the current population), so we need to give it some time. Once phase 1 is complete there will be 4 large towers, midrise apartments with groundlevel retail, and townhouses. I imagine it'll start getting a neighbourhood feel around that time but, until then, everyone's gonna need some patience. Unfortunately, Ottawa doesn't have the condo demand of Toronto or Vancouver so building all at once is not an option....even Vancouver had to be bailed out when they built the False Creek condos for the Olympics.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
There's no question that it's gonna be a real neighbourhood someday, but it is going to take at least 20 years. They haven't even finished the first building of phase 1 yet and there is currently no retail (nor should there be given the current population), so we need to give it some time. Once phase 1 is complete there will be 4 large towers, midrise apartments with groundlevel retail, and townhouses. I imagine it'll start getting a neighbourhood feel around that time but, until then, everyone's gonna need some patience. Unfortunately, Ottawa doesn't have the condo demand of Toronto or Vancouver so building all at once is not an option....even Vancouver had to be bailed out when they built the False Creek condos for the Olympics.
I think you're both right in what you're saying. It will definitely take some time before there are enough people and traffic in the area so that retail, restaurants etc. set up shop there.

The disappointing part of course is that the buildings themselves aren't anywhere near appealing enough on their own to get people to flock to the Flats... but I guess that point has been beaten to death by now.

I do hope that down the line, the Flats will eventually be home to various small one-of-a-kind pubs, restaurants and stores rather than just a strip-mall with one or two large anchor stores like SDM and/or Loblaws or something.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 3:11 PM

Hope so, but I still think it is unfortunate not to have made even the first buildings mixed use at street level. As things stand now, there will soon be hundreds of people living in an "island" where you can't even buy a newspaper or cup of coffee - the antithesis of urban living in my book.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Hope so, but I still think it is unfortunate not to have made even the first buildings mixed use at street level. As things stand now, there will soon be hundreds of people living in an "island" where you can't even buy a newspaper or cup of coffee - the antithesis of urban living in my book.
If you build it, they will not come. The flats will take dacades to complete. And unfortunately, coffee shops and urban stores cannot survive with a couple of hundred people. We won't see the existing coffee shop sized store occupied until phase 3 or 4 close.

Remember that what claridge has planned is only a fraction of what the ncc are hoping to see.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-133 View Post
.......Remember that what claridge has planned is only a fraction of what the ncc are hoping to see.
Indeed, and that is only a fraction of what it could have been.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 12:05 AM

How about what it still could be: home to a new CFL club, the 67's, and the future home of the sens? Or is that idea just too fantastic?

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 1:10 PM
Mooderator

That Hydro box sticks out like a sore thumb in those pics. Sort or ruins the view, like an annoying little speck on your glasses.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
That Hydro box sticks out like a sore thumb in those pics. Sort or ruins the view, like an annoying little speck on your glasses.

It certainly does! Its not a hydro box though. Its storage boxes for the kayakers.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 2:15 PM

Is it permanent? If it is, they should have some trees or a garden around it to hide it a little bit...

Awesome pictures of the buildings and their interior units...this site/location isn't bad at all. I think if there is some more retail integrated into the immediate area (like in PH3 or somewhere along booth) will make it a real winner.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Is it permanent? If it is, they should have some trees or a garden around it to hide it a little bit...

Awesome pictures of the buildings and their interior units...this site/location isn't bad at all. I think if there is some more retail integrated into the immediate area (like in PH3 or somewhere along booth) will make it a real winner.
I have no idea if there are plans to clean / pretty it up. It irks me every time I look out my window though. There has to be better options - planting some greenery is a fairly good idea. Relocating it would be a better idea though. Maybe the the end of the road where the tour buses park?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa