HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:49 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That would really be considered optimal whenever possible. Fortunately the Kitchener line is quad tracked through the urban section all the way to the airport spur so it shouldn't be too difficult in that case. Some of the other GO routes may be trickier.
I think most ROW's in Toronto can see some sort of expansion, but definitely not all. Mainly the Richmond Hill line....considering it weaves through a (wooded at times) river valley and suburbia northward.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 9:39 PM
Community Guy

Stunning video of our new LRT bridge and area.

Video Link

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:38 PM
Edan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Stunning video of our new LRT bridge and area.

Video Link
That suspended pedestrian/wheeling crossing underneath is spectacular. I love the wood, and the centre lane separation.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 10:51 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton's SE Valley Line has delayed its opening from 'early 2022' to 'summer 2022' from an original opening date of December 2020.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:41 PM

November Stage 2 East update, Ottawa. Here are a few highlights:
  • 7,000 tons of ballast has been delivered and is being installed between Montréal Station and Jeanne d’Arc Station.
  • Rail welding is complete at Montréal Station and underway at Place d’Orléans Station.
  • A small section of test track is planned to be installed in December, west of Jeanne d’Arc Station.
  • West abutment for the pedestrian bridge at Green’s Creek has been poured, ready for arrival of the bridge in February.
  • Montréal Station construction is underway. Utility work on Montreal Road to connect to Montréal Station is ongoing.
  • Concrete and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing works are ongoing at Jeanne d'Arc Station.
  • Concrete and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing works are ongoing at Place d'Orleans Station.
  • Footings and columns for the pedestrian bridge are underway at Place d'Orleans Station.

Montreal Station, local bus transfer station.

Place d'Orleans Station, major transfer hub and regional mall.

Trim Station, secondary transfer hub and terminus, serving (car-centric) high-density residential, public beach and Ottawa's French college trades campus.

https://mailchi.mp/55e2cf8cf735/o-tr...e?e=f37f60b514

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Edmonton's SE Valley Line has delayed its opening from 'early 2022' to 'summer 2022' from an original opening date of December 2020.
Speaking for all Ottawans, give them the time they need to get this right. Don't rush into it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 7:28 PM

Recce Martin did a great video covering the high points of Quebec City's proposed tramway. I really think this project deserves a lot more credit, public support and coverage. It's a good model for smaller cities to push.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:39 PM

O-Train West update:

https://mailchi.mp/72ce3cbe487f/o-tr...e?e=f37f60b514

A few images:

Moodie/417 interchange looking west, western terminus of Line 3. A new light-maintenance and storage yard is also u/c just west of the station.

Lincoln Fields, major transfer for urban west end bus service and between outbound Lines 1 and 3 (cross-platform). Station will feature three tracks, two platforms, retail and washrooms.

Queensview, a new local station serving low-density residential, office and retail, including a bridge over the 417 to the Ottawa Citizen building and IKEA, amongst other businesses.

Sherbourne, a new open-trench station within the Parkway-Byron tunnel, closing a long standing rapid transit service gap.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 1:35 PM

From O-Train Fans Snapshots:

Airport

https://otrain.railfans.ca/snapshot-...vember-24-2021

Carleton University

https://otrain.railfans.ca/snapshot-...vember-25-2021

EY Centre Station fromRail613. On the Line 4 airport spur serving the City's main trade show hall.

https://twitter.com/rail613/status/1468262121595187209

From O-Train Fans Snapshot Updates:

Westboro Station. They've started the new bus platform for the Transitway detour on Scott. Conversion of the trench should take about three (3) years.

https://otrain.railfans.ca/snapshot-...ecember-3-2021

Kichi Sibi, currently called Dominion, continued work on the detour.

Parkway Tunnel, bridging the gap between Dominion and Lincoln Fields. The Transitway has been using a 3-4 kilometer stretch of the Ottawa River Parkway with no stops for 30+ years. The new tunnel under the Parkway and Byron will add two new stations, Sherbourne (last picture) and New Orchard (a kilometer further west).

Last edited by J.OT13; Dec 7, 2021 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 10:20 PM

Do any of you feel that instead of building infrastructure for these LRV trams they should have just built a real metro line?? I dont understand why our capital city settlerd for an LRT? An LRT system that has a lot of problems. Ottawa should have an actual metro system. I hate to be negative about this, but i dont understand why they built a completely grade seperated rail system and used cars that wear meant for the street. It is kind of frustrating.

I feel like Edmonton and Calgary kind of did the same thing. Going forward other cities should avoid doing what Ottawa has done.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Do any of you feel that instead of building infrastructure for these LRV trams they should have just built a real metro line?? I dont understand why our capital city settlerd for an LRT? An LRT system that has a lot of problems. Ottawa should have an actual metro system. I hate to be negative about this, but i dont understand why they built a completely grade seperated rail system and used cars that wear meant for the street. It is kind of frustrating.

I feel like Edmonton and Calgary kind of did the same thing. Going forward other cities should avoid doing what Ottawa has done.
The problem is we need more transit than we have public dollars for. This means that they do as much as they can with as little as they get.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 11:50 PM

You need a high population density spread over a large area to have a real metro, otherwise you end up with something useless for 90% of the population.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 11:53 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Well the new O-train is a metro by most standards. It just happens to use LRT rolling stock because early in the planning process the designers considered having parts of it street running. But while the LRT stock isn't totally optimal, many of the benefits of a fully grade separated metro still remain.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
You need a high population density spread over a large area to have a real metro, otherwise you end up with something useless for 90% of the population.
That's the thing though, they did build a metro system. They build a metro system using cars that werent meant to be run like a metro.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
The problem is we need more transit than we have public dollars for. This means that they do as much as they can with as little as they get.

Then why spend the money to run a tram like a metro? Why build all that infrastructure? Why not just run it like normal? If they went to all that trouble to build the line for a metro, they should have used actual metro cars, not low floor trams that were meant for the street. I have hard time believing the funds could not have been found for an actual metro system in our capital city.

They will keep having problems with it. Those trains weren't mean't to be run like metros.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 1:09 AM

edit*

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
How high i high enough? How low is too low?

Quote:
Then why spend the money to run a tram like a metro? Why build all that infrastructure? Why not just run it like normal? If they went to all that trouble to build the line for a metro, they should have used actual metro cars, not low floor trams that were meant for the street. I have hard time believing the funds could not have been found for an actual metro system in our capital city.

They will keep having problems with it. Those trains weren't mean't to be run like metros.
No one has yet to give me a good enough reason these cars are not able to be used.
Remember, up until the bus crash with the train, the plan was that the extensions would be street running. The Phase 1 sections were built to not be street running, so the fact they are having issues is separate from the way they are being used. They are being used exactly how they were deigned to be.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:57 AM

Quote:

Current problems aside, as an Edmontonian I am jealous of Ottawa doing so much grade separation. I have my concerns about our new low floor line and how slow it will move and the traffic issues it will cause.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
How high i high enough? How low is too low?

No one has yet to give me a good enough reason these cars are not able to be used.
Remember, up until the bus crash with the train, the plan was that the extensions would be street running. The Phase 1 sections were built to not be street running, so the fact they are having issues is separate from the way they are being used. They are being used exactly how they were deigned to be.
They are using a tram as a metro. They have had major issues with it from day one. These cars are not meant to be used like a metro but that is how they are operated. It will be a never ending story with these trains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6gMK4uT62E&t=16s

This video was made before the derailment. The nations capital deserves better.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
They are using a tram as a metro. They have had major issues with from day one. These cars are not meant to be used like a metro but that is how they are operated. It will be a never ending story with these trains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6gMK4uT62E&t=16s
Pretend the words:
tram
LRT
Metro
Subway
Streetcar
Does not exist. Now, explain how these cars, running as they were designed to do, on ROW that was designed with these cars in mind are having problems.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada