HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:52 PM

^ I didn't respond yesterday, but to my knowledge the plans for the project to upgrade Highway 11 aren't online any longer, and haven't been online for some time now.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:56 PM

Web.archive.org is your friend for these things typically.

Anyone know if the study for south of Orillia has been done? Given the growing traffic levels on that part I wouldn't be surprised if it happens soonish - north of a Orillia is nowhere close to busy enough to need it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Web.archive.org is your friend for these things typically.

Anyone know if the study for south of Orillia has been done? Given the growing traffic levels on that part I wouldn't be surprised if it happens soonish - north of a Orillia is nowhere close to busy enough to need it.
(1) So that’s the go-to website.
(2) I sure hope so. That segment’s at capacity now and the RIRO’s are becoming dangerous. I thought this was what prompted the study to widen 11 in the first place...?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:10 PM

The one they did a few years ago was only for Highway 169 (washago) to Gravenhurst. The part that will need to be widened first will most likely be south of highway 12.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The one they did a few years ago was only for Highway 169 (washago) to Gravenhurst. The part that will need to be widened first will most likely be south of highway 12.
It might even make sense to widen it to Highway 12 North (exit 133).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

For me, I’m mainly curious which parts will be straight up widened (while taking down all the abutting properties and redesigning the interchanges) and which segments will be bypassed altogether.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:48 PM

Do you find that web.archive.org actually has information on the site though? I always find that even though they may have the home page stored on the archive, they almost never have any of the PDFs that contain the information.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 7:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I haven’t checked but good to know.

On the other hand, I still have the PDF file of overall Highway 26 upgrade.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 7:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

(T Bay, Shuniah) Highway 527 Closed

On another note:

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...photos-1194217

The highway’s closed between Compressor Station Road and Mitchell Road for police investigation for the next few days. Detour’s via Copenhagen Road. Motorists are advised to drive slowly because the EDR’s an residential road.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Do you find that web.archive.org actually has information on the site though? I always find that even though they may have the home page stored on the archive, they almost never have any of the PDFs that contain the information.
I believe I've seen the PDFs before, but yea, not always.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:10 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...48#post8435448 #1067

So trucks never use winter tires? If that’s the case, that sort of explains why Northern highways are a joke in winter.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:55 AM
I am a typical

Buses don't either. I don't think they even make winter tires for vehicles that size. With that much weight, you need a lot more than just a change in rubber formula to get up some hills, that's why chains are mandatory for them. Personal vehicles are light enough that just a change in rubber formula is enough.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:04 PM
Near Generational

Thunder Bay Council has passed a motion to limit heavy truck traffic through the city.

Part of that limit affects Highway 102. Is the city allowed to impose regulations on provincially regulated highways?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:07 AM
I am a typical

Ontario King's Highway 102 ends at Highway 589. The portion between Highway 589 and Highway 11/17 is a municipal highway called Dawson Road. This configuration has existed since 1998. Unless our magnanimous For-The-People premier uploads that stretch of road as a provincial highway, with provincial funding, the city does have the authority to ban heavy through-traffic on the road. The hesitation in the past was because they couldn't erect signage Sistonen's Corners to advice truckers that the route is no long legal, but apparently that has changed.

It is the municipal highway of Dawson Road to which the restrictions will be in place, as well as Arthur Street, which was downloaded in its entirety in 2007 when the province opened a by-pass of that street. No portion of that road is provincially maintained anymore. Transports can drive up and down Highway 102 between Highway 11/17 and Highway 589 to their hearts content, they just can't travel east of that road if their intent is to drive onto Highway 11/17 without stopping. In theory, a truck could continue to use Dawson Road as a short cut if they stopped at a truck stop along the way, saying it was an intended destination. But unfortunately for them, all of them are now closed because they never stopped at any of them.

I don't feel bad for Santorelli's to be honest. Banning trucks on Arthur Street has been a talking point since the late 1980s when the idea of the Shabaqua Extension was first making its way into provincial policy, and became even more likely once the new highway opened in 2007. The fact that they have stuck around on a road that is constantly under threat of being off-limits to their customer base just shows poor business sense on their part. I don't see why we have to maintain useless policies just to keep a single business afloat. That isn't the government's responsibility.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:15 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

As I said before, if the ban goes through (ha how ironic), it also forces MTO to do something about 11-17 through Kakabeka Falls and Oliver Paipoonage.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:28 AM
I am a typical

No it doesn't. This is Northern Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:33 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Even if fatal accidents keep happening through that strip, indefinitely stalling the flow of goods? Plus I thought we went over this a year ago.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:30 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Ontario King's Highway 102 ends at Highway 589.
So both wikipedia and google maps are both wrong?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I was pretty surprised when vid said that too, but think this way:
In SSM, Highway 17 technically doesn’t exist because of the connecting-link agreement between municipalities and the province. That said, the King’s Highway Shield and even my profile picture (JK I mean the Trans-Canada Highway shield) are effectively there for show and to keep motorists on the right path.

I’d think that 102 through T Bay is like that too.

Ps: Has anyone noticed that 102 = 17 * (17 - 11)? Perhaps this is how the number came about? Highway 11-17 used to go on Dawson Road, then on Aurthur Street, and finally now the Shabaqua Extension.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:21 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Short answer: Yes.

The City of Thunder Bay uses street signs that say "Highway 102" along its portion of that road for navigational aids. Otherwise, there would be no signs in the area that indicate the existence of Highway 102. Perhaps an MTO sign saying "Highway 102 6 Km west"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
In SSM, Highway 17 technically doesn’t exist because of the connecting-link agreement between municipalities and the province.
Which exists on Dawson Road, but there is no provincial signage. They give a small amount of money to maintain the road, since it's an "integral" part of the provincial highway system; just not integral enough to be integrated into it all the way.

Quote:
That said, the King’s Highway Shield and even my profile picture (JK I mean the Trans-Canada Highway shield) are effectively there for show and to keep motorists on the right path.

I’d think that 102 through T Bay is like that too.
It isn't.

At the intersection of Thunder Bay Expressway and Dawson Road, there is a navigational sign that has the 102 crown and "> West", and below that, "Dawson Road".

After that offramp, there is a single Kings Highway shield showing that is it Highway 102 West.

At roughly that point, control of the road goes from the Ministry of Transportation to Thunder Bay's Roads Department. The route does not have any shields, and is signed on street signs as "Hwy. No. 102"

Interesting choice of co-signing here, it implies the road changes names:

Here is the last time an eastbound traveler will see a Highway 102 reassurance marker:

That sign about jake brakes is a city by-law, and from that point forward, it is illegal to use them. (They get used anyway; no one gives a fuck and they're much quieter now than they were back then.)

Basically, the actual highway shields only appear along the parts of the road the province itself funds. They do not appear along the city controlled portion, because it is not a provincial highway. It's only a city road that travels between two highways.

Quote:
Ps: Has anyone noticed that 102 = 17 * (17 - 11)? Perhaps this is how the number came about? Highway 11-17 used to go on Dawson Road, then on Aurthur Street, and finally now the Shabaqua Extension.
No one has noticed that.

When I was a kid, pretty much every second light pole had a Highway 102 shield on it. Even when I was a teenager, after downloading, the signs were still there, at least to aid navigation. At some point after I moved away in 2007, they were taken down. They also existed along the route that used to be 11B/17B, through the Intercity Area, but those have been gone for over a decade now too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario