HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:18 PM

I see the moderators locked the Amazon thread in the City Discussions forum because of "too much boosterism." I get telling people that the site will not allow itself to be turned into platform for ripping and attacking cities mindlessly, but that seems an overreaction to shut the thread down entirely. But hey, I don't run the place.

As an aside, and more generally, I do wonder about the logic of Amazon's second HQ. If it's really 50,000 jobs (there was lot of healthy skepticism in the City Discussions thread about Amazon over-hyping itself), their approach would only drive up costs I would think. ANY city that added that many jobs (50K+ a multiplier of knock on jobs from related companies and/or service industry) would feel the impact on their cost of doing business.

I would have thought it would have made more sense to simply say they were going to develop several major employment centers to support the HQ function (3 or 4 cities) rather than just one additional city - that would allow you to leverage lots of different regional advantages of various cities (e.g., Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, Austin, NY, etc.) while avoiding the cost escalation inherent in putting so many "eggs" in one urban basket. Maybe some of the critics are right - there's a lot of Amazon/Bezos ego in this proposal and some healthy skepticism might be good.

Still, if they are serious, I'd take the Hq2 for Denver (even if doesn't end up being 50K jobs).

Last edited by CherryCreek; Sep 11, 2017 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:23 PM
Never Dell

On one hand the 50,000 sounds like something the new city might build to over time, like it's really about capacity and not necessarily getting to that level. In that scenario more cities could handle it.

On the other hand, there are benefits to clustering, and cities are going nuts chasing this.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:16 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I'm hearing the 18th & Market apartments are going to break ground in December. TCR selected Milender White as the GC and is ready to get started. One of downtown's biggest parking lot craters could finally be getting some help. I'm curious if there is anything in the works for the lot across the street (between Blake and Market)?

With this project, Market Station and the hotel at 16th & Market this will really change the look of this street through downtown. I also LOVE the new infill building at the corner of 15th & Market.
Speaking of Market Station and the 1600 Market Hotel, do we have a status update on these two project? I recall that Market Station was last scheduled to break ground in August and haven't heard anything since then if the groundbreaking was pushed back. 1600 Market Hotel was approved late last year and I don't recall a construction timeline being put forth at all.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 6:32 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Speaking of Market Station and the 1600 Market Hotel, do we have a status update on these two project? I recall that Market Station was last scheduled to break ground in August and haven't heard anything since then if the groundbreaking was pushed back. 1600 Market Hotel was approved late last year and I don't recall a construction timeline being put forth at all.
Station is set to be demolished.

Not sure about the hotel.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 8:57 PM
Denver

My new favorite view of 1144 fifteenth street is from the front steps of the tivoli building at CU Denver. Truly stunning to see it rise up from the athletic field, with four seasons and 1401 lawerence to compliment it.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 12:57 AM

Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is that strip lighting I see being tested on 1144 on the 16 Chestnut construction web cam?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 1:21 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

Yes, I'm looking at it right now. Vertical strip lighting in the two corners of the center vertical notch.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 1:37 AM

"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
YUP!
Sup?

Oh my, yes I see; very nice.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 4:46 AM
Denver

Sitting near the fountains at Union Station with many thoughts troubling my mind:

1- How can this ever become a truly wonderful public square with the exposed parking garage ? It's actually much worse at night with the harsh light bleeding from the garage.

2- Does bunt approve of my merlot choice (probably not?!)

3- Does Ryan D hit his head on things often ? He is my favorite poster.

5- How is life in takefive's retirement community ?

6- Does seventwenty have a crush on me ?

7- Why is cirrus so mean and won't make seventwenty Mod?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 4:55 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
Sitting near the fountains at Union Station with many thoughts troubling my mind:

1- How can this ever become a truly wonderful public square with the exposed parking garage ? It's actually much worse at night with the harsh light bleeding from the garage.

2- Does bunt approve of my merlot choice (probably not?!)

3- Does Ryan D hit his head on things often ? He is my favorite poster.

5- How is life in takefive's retirement community ?

6- Does seventwenty have a crush on me ?

7- Why is cirrus so mean and won't make seventwenty Mod?
Garage troubles? Screens on the openings would help, like help tremendously.

Can't help you with merlot. Who the hell drinks merlot on a summer evening? A blanc or a pinot grigio would be my call.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Garage troubles? Screens on the openings would help, like help tremendously.

Can't help you with merlot. Who the hell drinks merlot on a summer evening? A blanc or a pinot grigio would be my call.
My concern with the garage is less aesthetic and more functional. As best as I can tell, it is the only structure between 16th and 18th with vehicle access directly onto Wynkoop. This could throw a major wrench into schemes to pedestrianize the street and expand the plaza up to the buildings on the SE side (17th Street is the other circulation issue I can identify... would a Wynkoop plaza require the closure of 17th all the way to Wazee? Or could such a major street be allowed to terminate at the alley?).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 5:30 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Pedestrianizing Wynkoop between 16th and 18th would still have to allow a way for emergency, utility and maintenance, and delivery vehicles some access to the two blocks. Therefore, the one garage entry could be accommodated.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Pedestrianizing Wynkoop between 16th and 18th would still have to allow a way for emergency, utility and maintenance, and delivery vehicles some access to the two blocks. Therefore, the one garage entry could be accommodated.
Good to know, thanks! I'm still imagining 17th street terminating at Wazee - its hard to imagine it ending at an emergency/utility access lane as you describe due to the potential for a large amount of people who don't realize they are accidentally driving into a restricted zone (terminating 17th at the alley would present the same problem). Glad to know the parking garage isn't a deal-killer though.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 6:16 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
Good to know, thanks! I'm still imagining 17th street terminating at Wazee - its hard to imagine it ending at an emergency/utility access lane as you describe due to the potential for a large amount of people who don't realize they are accidentally driving into a restricted zone (terminating 17th at the alley would present the same problem). Glad to know the parking garage isn't a deal-killer though.
Knocking off that portion of 17th would also force a rethinking of where the "front door" is for both the Oxford and Crawford hotels. Taxis, ride shares, etc. would have to move to Wewatta or Wazee. May not be a bad idea from the pedestrian perspective, but from the multi-modal perspective I see some serious trade-offs. I think the idea of making Wynkoop a woonerf from Cherry Creek to 20th is a better one.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 7:08 PM

Another Denver Amazon article, this time from the Denver Post. Some good points in the article, including some echos of statements we have been making over the last week on location.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/12...essons-boeing/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Another Denver Amazon article, this time from the Denver Post. Some good points in the article, including some echos of statements we have been making over the last week on location.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/12...essons-boeing/
Will be interesting to see if Denver, Aurora and others can get alignment. I just don't see Aurora having what Amazon would want, given what's in the RFP and their preferences in Seattle. The other sites, Pepsi, South Broadway, RINO seem viable to me. I don't think the Panasonic development is the sort of "trophy" site/development that Amazon would chose, given their stated preference for urbanity, life style, bicycling and public transit. (Who is going to bicycle out to Pena Blvd?).

Yes, there is room on that site but it would be a long ways from the most desirable parts of Denver metro and I would think they would worry that it would not be attractive location to prospective employees. The north/north east side of Denver is the most industrial part of Denver and is also where air pollution ends to linger (along the South Platte) during the winter months.(I would never consider working at that location, but that's me ).

The good news is that an opportunity this huge would have amazing spill over economic effects everywhere in metro Denver, including Aurora and the Pena Blvd. corridor.

Last edited by CherryCreek; Sep 12, 2017 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:51 AM

Guess I missed this one.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-headquarters
Quote:
Several senior Amazon.com Inc. executives advocate putting a second headquarters in Boston, according to a person briefed on the matter.

Last week, Amazon unveiled plans to open a new base and invited states and local governments to submit proposals. While other cities may ultimately win out, Boston is being considered for its proximity to Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, an airport with nonstop flights to Seattle and Washington, D.C., and a lower cost of living than many other big cities, said the person, who requested anonymity to discuss an internal matter.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
I'd suggest having 17th and 18th end at Wynkoop (or at least where it currently is) but create a bulb for cars to turnaround and head the other way. This would allow people to be dropped off or ride shares the room to pick people up. Meanwhile, the plaza extends from Union Station to the steps of the businesses on Wynkoop.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:24 AM

I noticed the parking lot next to Wework on Platte had a contract pending sign up. Getting something built there would continue the great streetwall on Platte and continue to block that area off from the freeway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West