HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 3:00 PM

New Hamilton Police Chief is from Toronto

Maybe it is time for a shake up?

Quote:
New Hamilton Police Chief is from Toronto

CHML 11/20/2009

Hamilton's new police chief is Toronto police Staff Superintendent Glenn De Caire.

De Caire has worked in the infamous Jane-Finch corridor and is best known for bringing police surveillance cameras to Yonge Street.

He also played a major role in upgrading the force's computer system.

Outgoing Hamilton police Chief Brian Mullan retires at the end of December.

Other candidates in the running to replace Mullan were Hamilton's two deputy police chiefs, Eric Girt and Ken Leendertse.
Quote:
Glenn De Caire Hamilton's new police chief

TheSpec.com

The Spectator has learned Toronto police Staff Superintendent Glenn De Caire is Hamilton’s new chief of police.

De Caire, known for bringing police surveillance cameras to Yonge Street, will be confirmed by the Hamilton board of police commissioners this morning.

De Caire is head of Central Field, one of Toronto's two police field commands and has worked in the infamous Jane-Finch corridor in northwest Toronto

He is also involved in TAVIS, a Toronto police anti-violence initiative and been involved in upgrading the force's computers.

Outgoing Hamilton police Chief Brian Mullan retires Dec. 31.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 3:50 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Thank gawd.... Mullen was a douche..... we need any outsiders we can get

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 5:12 PM

Hopefully, he'll also move to Hamilton as well. I would prefer to be policed by people who live in the community.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 5:23 PM

Ya move to Stinson or Bartonville

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 5:24 PM

Where did Mullan live?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:14 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Hopefully, he'll also move to Hamilton as well. I would prefer to be policed by people who live in the community.
I would hope he will as well. But chances are he is just using this position as a stepping stone. So chances are he will not move here.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Where did Mullan live?
Ancaster.

I would put money on it that the new chief will move to Ancaster or Dundas.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:45 PM

Quote:
New Hamilton police chief: Glenn De Caire

TheSpec.com

By John Burman and Meredith MacLeod

Hamilton’s new police chief is concerned about “street disorder” and is promising a “very transparent command”.

Toronto police Staff Superintendent Glenn De Caire was confirmed as Hamilton’s new top officer this morning at the downtown police station.

“As chief, my philosophy for Hamilton police is to engage community partners, to promote excellence in customer service, to be committed to our cause as a welcoming organization, dependent on the trust, character and good judgment of our people,” De Caire said this morning.

“We will work with purpose, with a sense of fairness and commitment to duty.”

De Caire said he was “humbled” to be selected and took great pains to reach out to two deputy chiefs who had been considered to be front-runners for the job.

“As a new member of the command team, I would like to recognize the efforts of deputy chiefs Ken Leendertse and Eric Girt. Your contributions and efforts to lead this service are vital to our success. I look forward to your input, advice and guidance for the future.”

Outgoing Hamilton police Chief Brian Mullan retires Dec. 31. De Caire, who has three adult sons with wife Kathy, starts his role in Hamilton Dec. 9.

The appointment of Mullan’s replacement had been delayed and shrouded in secrecy for weeks. Mullan announced more than five months ago that he was retiring. A Toronto headhunting company has been working on finding a replacement for three months. It was the top topic of conversation at Mullan’s retirement bash this week and in the halls of local police stations.

Leendertse and Girt were told about the police services board’s decision yesterday but many other senior officers only learned about the appointment from The Spectator in advance of this morning’s announcement.

While many felt the decision would be between Leendertse and Girt, some members of the community were loudly calling for an outside candidate to step in after a series of scandals rocked the service over the past few years.

Police services board chair Bernie Morelli would not directly answer questions about why the decision came three weeks after an announced deadline. When asked why the board chose to go outside the Hamilton police ranks, Morelli said, “The best thing for this community at this time is the team we have in place.”

De Caire, 47, is a 29-year veteran of the Toronto police and is currently leading the department’s downtown division, which includes nine police stations, 2,000 officers and a $200-million budget.

Known for bringing police surveillance cameras to Yonge Street and battling gang crime, De Caire will be confirmed by the Hamilton board of police commissioners this morning.

De Caire is head of Central Field, one of Toronto's two police field commands and has worked in the infamous Jane-Finch corridor in northwest Toronto.

He is also involved in Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy and been involved in upgrading the force's computers.

When asked his priorities in Hamilton, De Caire said he’s concerned about “street disorder”, although he didn’t elaborate, and formulating a strategy for a “very transparent command.”

“Our search for a new police chief was about finding the best candidate,” said police services board chair Bernie Morelli.

“Glenn De Caire brings innovative ideas combined with a broad breadth and depth of experience dealing with policing issues. With his extensive management and administrative experience, as a board we are certain the new chief, along with deputy chiefs Leendertse and Girt will make an exceptionally strong command team.”

De Caire will be Hamilton’s 34th police chief and will lead the province’s six-largest police force, including 787 officers and 273 civilian employees.

“It is an honour to be selected to represent the sworn and civilian officers of this service,” De Caire said in a release before the official announcement was made this morning.

“Together, we will be focused on the delivery of community policing for the citizens of Hamilton.”

De Caire holds a liberal arts degree from York University, a human resources management certificate from York and a criminal justice education certificate from the University of Virginia. He’s a graduate of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Va. He’s also a level III certified municipal manager from the Ontario Municipal Managers Institute and holds the designation of professional manager from the Canadian Institute of Management. He completed a police leadership certificate at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Business last year and is a member of the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police.

With files from Susan Clairmont, The Hamilton Spectator

jburman@thespec.com

905-526-2469

mmacleod@thespec.com

905-526-3408

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:47 PM

These kinds of jobs sometimes have a residency requirement. If Hamilton doesn't have one, they should.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 10:56 PM
urbanist

Actually, they don't. Such a requirement would not be legally enforceable anywhere in Canada. But the practical reality is that it would quickly become a political liability for a new Chief (particularly an outside hire) if he did not establish his primary residence within the municipality employing him.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 12:38 AM

No, it might not hold up in court, but it's fairly common. It's pretty much standard for things like police or fire chief, city manager, etc. in the US, even in small towns.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 1:13 AM
urbanist

Not sure it is worth arguing here..but it is not "fairly standard" anywhere in Canada and I thought that was the country we were discussing. It would be highly unusual (and illegal) and would send a very negative message that Hamilton needed to compell our Police Chief to do something that should logically happen by choice. Surely we haven't become Detroit or Flint, Michigan, where the only way to get senior government officials to live in the place they work is through a contractual obligation as opposed to a real desire to live in the City where they work. Every Hamilton police Chief in recent memory has lived in the municipality and I fully expect this one to make that choice as well.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 8:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Your new police chief
Veteran Toronto officer picked to head Hamilton's finest

November 21, 2009
John Burman and Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/676914

The city's new police chief, who worked some of Toronto's toughest streets for 29 years, says he plans to crack down on Hamilton's street crime and create a "very transparent command."

Glenn De Caire, 47, a Toronto staff superintendent, was named Hamilton's 34th top officer yesterday at police headquarters in front of about 75 officers and civilians.

The move to go outside Hamilton's police department was a surprise to some. Others had loudly called for an external appointment after a series of scandals that have rocked the service in recent years.

Police services board chair Bernie Morelli said De Caire brings a wealth of experience, and said the decision to move outside Hamilton police ranks was the right one.

"The best thing for this community at this time is the team we have in place."

De Caire said he will "focus on crimes of street disorder" -- drugs, alcohol, problem bars and prostitution -- but stressed there will be a thorough review of all crime issues with senior officers.

"Right now we're going to look at what the issues are and I believe that drugs are a problem in many neighbourhoods, but I need to understand what the complexity of the problem is here," De Caire said.

He said some street issues relate to employment, health or economic concerns, and police need to partner with the agencies that have the resources and mandate to deal with those issues.

"I'll work with the command staff and I'll work with our officers who are currently working on those problems and we'll see how we can enhance our enforcement but also how we can reach out to other agencies ... to get referrals, to get people into housing, to get people off the streets.

"It is a very complex problem and it requires a complex response."

He admitted to not being too familiar with Hamilton, having spent his entire career in Toronto.

De Caire, the son of a police officer, will be sworn in to begin his five-year contract Dec. 9.

"Frankly, I can't wait to get started," he said.

"As chief, my philosophy for Hamilton police is to engage community partners, to promote excellence in customer service, to be committed to our cause as a welcoming organization, dependent on the trust, character and good judgment of our people," De Caire said at the news conference.

De Caire and his wife, Kathy, have three adult sons. They plan to move to Hamilton soon.

Few other details about De Caire were provided and he turned down a request to speak with The Spectator one-on-one.

Attempts to talk to his colleagues in Toronto were not successful.

De Caire promises to be accessible to Hamiltonians in the future.

"I plan on having town hall meetings and getting out to talk to the people and listening to what the concerns and issues are," he said. "I will make myself visible and available as the chief."

The chief-designate said he was "humbled" to be selected and took great pains to reach out to two deputy chiefs standing with outgoing Chief Brian Mullan at yesterday's announcement.

Both Ken Leendertse and Eric Girt were considered to be frontrunners for the job.

"As a new member of the command team, I would like to recognize the efforts of deputy chiefs Ken Leendertse and Eric Girt," De Caire said. "Your contributions and efforts to lead this service are vital to our success. I look forward to your input, advice and guidance for the future."

The appointment of Mullan's replacement was delayed and shrouded in tight secrecy for weeks.

Mullan announced his retirement, effective Dec. 31, more than five months ago.

A Toronto headhunting company has been working on finding a replacement for three months. It was the top topic of conversation at Mullan's retirement bash this week and in the halls of local police stations.

Leendertse and Girt were told about the police services board's decision Thursday.

Senior officers were told by e-mail at 9:30 a.m. yesterday but there were still some officers who only learned about the appointment from The Spectator minutes before the announcement.

Police board chair Morelli would not directly answer questions about why the decision came three weeks after an announced deadline.

The secrecy involved with the complex process, he said, was largely due to the need for confidentiality and privacy for a number of people involved, including four internal candidates and a dozen hopefuls outside the service.

"Glenn De Caire brings innovative ideas combined with a broad breadth and depth of experience dealing with policing issues," Morelli said. "With his extensive management and administrative experience, as a board we are certain the new chief, along with deputy chiefs Leendertse and Girt, will make an exceptionally strong command team."

De Caire is currently leading Central Field, one of Toronto's two police field commands, which includes nine police stations, 2,000 officers and a $200-million budget.

He is also known for bringing police surveillance cameras to Yonge Street and battling gang crime.

He has played a key role in Chief Bill Blair's Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy, which has flooded officers on bike and foot patrols into troubled and violent neighbourhoods, such as Jane and Finch, Dundas and Sherbourne and Keele and Eglinton.

The goal was to get officers on the street to get to know locals and business owners on a first-name basis, weed out the bad apples and convince residents to trust and work with the police.

The initiative has been credited with dramatic drops in crime but has also been criticized by neighbourhood groups who accuse the police of heavy-handed tactics.

Leonard Reece, founder of Young Advocates Youth Organization, a social justice agency in the Jane-Finch corridor, says the anti-violence program has not helped in his neighbourhood and has not improved relationships between residents and the police.

He said he's taken his concerns to De Caire, to no avail.

"I only hope Hamilton's new police chief allows the community to play a vital role," Reece said. "The power should be in the community."

De Caire holds a liberal arts degree from York University, a human resources management certificate from York and a criminal justice education certificate from the University of Virginia. He's a graduate of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Va.

He completed a police leadership certificate at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Business last year and is a member of the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 8:16 PM

I like the sounds of him already

"crack down on Hamilton's street crime and create a "very transparent command." sorely been lacking

"moving to Hamilton" nice "I will make myself visible and available as the chief."

and he comes from outside of the current Hamilton Police Services culture.... which is summed up by this "Police board chair Morelli would not directly answer questions about why the decision came three weeks after an announced deadline."

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 11:02 PM
Concerned Citizen

I am hoping he will be different from what we have now, but he is a cop and there isn't to much difference between them.

Toronto Police have the same scandals and the same problems that the Hamilton Police service has experienced, only on a greater scale.

He may have a different approach to the day to day activities of the force, but when it comes right down to it, he has the same training and attitudes as any other police officer. We may get a few cosmetic changes but don't expect any major policy changes.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 10:27 PM

He's a real beat cop tho. Sounds like he still sees himself as a 'cop'

Mullan turned into a politician.

And that's the word.. not me saying it. I never thought about it until i heard it mentioned a few times ... in the circles I roll.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 3:17 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Sounds like he still sees himself as a 'cop'.
For now. No doubt the Hammer will work it's magic.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 3:22 AM
BANNED

RealCity

Dude... you ROLL!

Rok on

Mic 67

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy