HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 8:08 PM

Hamilton's Integrity Commissioner

From today's edition of AM900.com:

Quote:
Integrity commissioner for city getting closer
Ken Mann
3/20/2008

Hamilton politicians are closer to defining the parameters under which the city's integrity commissioner will operate.

They've developed a draft by-law, which if approved, will require members of the public to pay a 100 dollar fee to file a complaint against an elected official.

The complainant would also be required to keep their issue confidential, by keeping it away from the media, until it has been ruled on by the integrity commissioner. Councillor Terry Whitehead says the measures are designed to prevent frivolous complaints.

The Integrity Commissioner could be in place by June, and is expected to be hired on a case-by-case basis. The position will operate within a 100 thousand dollar budget.
Looks like the integrity commissioner for Hamilton is (finally) heading our way. Here's hoping ther isn't a flood of list-minute shenanigans from the usual suspects before the position is put in place...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 8:41 PM

I understand that a $100 fee is to limit complaints to “real ones”, and to stop frivolous ones. But, I think if the Integrity Commissioner finds the complaint warranted, the $100 should be refunded to the complainant.

My 2 cents (not $100....)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:11 PM

Council agrees to hire ethics watchdog

From Tuesday's edition of The Hamilton Spectator

Quote:
Council agrees to hire ethics watchdog

June 10, 2008
Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jun 10, 2008)
Wanted: Integrity commissioner for the City of Hamilton.

Council unanimously agreed yesterday to hire an integrity commissioner to police politicians' conduct.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger, who promised the office in his election campaign, thanked council for supporting the initiative after nearly a year and a half of haggling over the proposal.

"It has been a challenge, but a good challenge," he said.

Eisenberger said he's hopeful the office will help restore public confidence in city hall.

The integrity commissioner will investigate complaints against councillors and has the power to dole out punishment, including to up to three months' lost pay.

The cost of the new office is still unknown. Council has put aside $50,000, but staff will come back later this year with a better estimate.

Glanbrook Councillor David Mitchell fears the cost could soar as high as half a million a year.

"I've just been forewarned that the costs are going to be incredible."

Council agreed yesterday to fill the office with a retired judge. The position will be paid per diem.

It will cost the public $100 to file a compliant with the commissioner. Council voted yesterday to limit the complaint period to six weeks after an alleged offence.

A subcommittee will now review council's code of conduct to decide what constitutes an offence.

nmacintyre@thespec.com
It's about time...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 2:13 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Although I think this is a good move. I think Fred bet the Farm on this. Out of all the things he could've championed -- Fred chose this Integrity Issue which falls very short on many radars. And it likely won't stop shenanigans and the antics from Mitchell, McCarthy, Merulla et al. It'll just allow council to wash their hands of the punishment by passing it off to this new commissioner.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 9:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

oh man lol........

Eisenberger believes he's contravened council code
Jay McQueen
6/25/2008

In his own words, Hamilton's mayor says he has broken city council's code of conduct.

Fred Eisenberger making a statement, saying this was done by way of having an off the record conversation with Specator columnist Andrew Dreschel about a year ago.

A transcript of that private phone conversation, he says, was stolen from his office and given to a media outlet.

Eisenberger says he's not prepared to divulge the context of that conversation, adding it was intended to be private and confidential.

He says he has no reason to believe that Dreschel or anyone else at the Spec released the private taped conversation and and says no one currently working in his office is suspected in any way.

That said, Mayor Eisenberger will now ask the chief of police to launch an investigation to find out who stole what he calls his personal and city property.

Meantime, he's taking full responsibility and is encouraging staff and council to recommend appropriate remedy or action.

The Mayors comment

Media Statement from Mayor's Office

HAMILTON, ON: 25 June 2008

MEDIA STATEMENT

I am aware that a transcript of a taped private phone conversation with Andrew Dreschel of the Hamilton Spectator stolen from my office has been circulated and given to a media outlet. I am also aware that there is some question as to whether I have broken Council’s Code of Conduct for having this “off the record” unpublished conversation with this reporter. It is my belief that I have contravened the Council’s Code of Conduct.

Let me state I have never wilfully leaked or released a private and confidential document verbally or otherwise to any member of the media for express purpose of broadcast. I have on occasion had “off the record” conversations with members of the media to provide context or to correct misinformation.

In that light, I have provided a copy of the transcript I received to the City solicitor, and will ask Council tonight during the “Statements by Members” of Council portion of the meeting, to instruct the City solicitor to review this transcript and report back to Council and the community as soon as possible. I take full responsibility and encourage staff and Council to recommend appropriate remedy or action as required.

I have no reason to believe that Mr. Dreschel or anyone at the Hamilton Spectator released this private taped conversation and have every reason to believe it was stolen from my office. However, no one currently working in my office is suspected in any way.

Given all that, I will ask the Chief of the Hamilton Police to launch an investigation to determine who has stolen my personal and city property.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:09 PM
Closed account

what is this all about??

are they not allowed to chat with the media?? DiIanni used to sit in council text message Nicole MacIntyre during meetings.

Video here:
http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/392600

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Mayor Fred himself was very strict to not reveal anything to the media. Mayor Fred was quick to leash out aganist councillors for doing that. Now he did it himself. It is part of the new code of conduct.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:33 PM
Closed account

what did he leak?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

Dunno, transcript isn't out yet.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 2:20 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

this is crap. Now we'll even know less about what goes on in this City. As if we're not already kept in the dark now, now it'll get worse.

Our media sucks, and it's not difficult to keep one radio station and one daily paper (not really a daily, no Sunday and the Monday paper might as well not be printed) to not publish City Hall talks and councilor meetings/conversations.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 3:04 AM
Closed account

no kidding...I remember when I used to get the Spec. that monday paper was an embarassment. The weekend could be chalk full of festivals, activities, great weather, restaurant openings and they manage to put out the worst, most useless paper imaginable.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 3:10 AM

^^I was offered a cheap subscription to the Spec, so I've been getting it for a couple months and reading the front section everyday. From reading the paper, I wouldn't know this weekend is Festival of Friends if I didn't see the banner downtown. I would imagine there are fireworks sometime soon, but I have no idea when. On the other hand, I overheard someone talking about Sunfest in London the other day...

rant over, return to topic...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
^^I was offered a cheap subscription to the Spec, so I've been getting it for a couple months and reading the front section everyday. From reading the paper, I wouldn't know this weekend is Festival of Friends if I didn't see the banner downtown. I would imagine there are fireworks sometime soon, but I have no idea when. On the other hand, I overheard someone talking about Sunfest in London the other day...
This weekend is It's Your Festival. Festival of Friends (Steve Earle! Canned Heat!) is August 8-10. Fireworks at dusk at Bayfront & Pier 4, or if you're perverse you can listen to the radio simulcast (media myopia Exhibit B: tune in on K-Lite, CHAM or Oldies 1150, who will all apparently be all fixated on the event). Free HSR shuttle bus service to the park from King and John, 6-11:45 p.m. Burlington's fireworks (Spencer Smith Park, dusk) are accompanied by the HPO.

BTW, cheap subscriptions (which, like half-price newsstand campaigns, are often timed during circulation audits to provide a bump in readers) seem to get you on a lot of junk mail/telemarket lists. No free lunch, as they say.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 12:48 PM
Closed account

yea, they came by here and asked if I wanted that $20.00 for 3 months deal. I said no way. No interest at all.
Read today's PR piece with Mancinelli and you'll know why.

by the way, I think Brad Clark needs to give it a rest. He's been at Fred's throat since this term began and is gathering a band of council buddies around him in an attempt to virtually ALWAYS vote the opposite of Fred on the big issues.
It's a shame to see someone deliberately sabotage a term of council due to their own power-hungry greed.
I used to think that I'd vote for him next as mayor if he runs, but no way. Anyone that desperate for power is bad news.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:12 PM
Raising the Hammer

It's a real shame - otherwise, Clark seems to have very good instincts when it comes to process and asking the right kinds of questions about policy recommendations.

Today's column by Andrew Dreschel digs deeper into the Eisenberger-Clark connection over the taped interview:

http://thespec.com/Opinions/article/393509

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
This weekend is It's Your Festival. Festival of Friends (Steve Earle! Canned Heat!) is August 8-10. Fireworks at dusk at Bayfront & Pier 4, or if you're perverse you can listen to the radio simulcast (media myopia Exhibit B: tune in on K-Lite, CHAM or Oldies 1150, who will all apparently be all fixated on the event). Free HSR shuttle bus service to the park from King and John, 6-11:45 p.m. Burlington's fireworks (Spencer Smith Park, dusk) are accompanied by the HPO.

BTW, cheap subscriptions (which, like half-price newsstand campaigns, are often timed during circulation audits to provide a bump in readers) seem to get you on a lot of junk mail/telemarket lists. No free lunch, as they say.

Yes, It's Your Festival, I drove by the banner again this morning. Festival of Friends got a page 15 article in the Go section of today's Spec though. It's a start!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 3:02 PM
Closed account

give up.
you'll never know what's happening in this city by reading the Spec.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:01 PM

Boy, circulating that tape was a bad call on Brad Clark's behalf. Kind of a low-handed way to score political points against a rival, but that is politics for . At least he was quick to come forward and fess up - much like Eisenberger did about the breach itself.

The next obvious question is, how did the tape end up in Clark's hands in the first place? At first blush one would have thought this was an issue to cause serious political damage to the mayor, but now it looks like Clark is going to get it good. And the 'whistleblower' claim just is not going to work.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 9:03 PM
Closed account

yea, he's full of crap. "whistleblower".
He gives it to a different media outlet and two other councillors. Chad Collins would be one of them (he's part of Clark's new band of tough guys from what I understand).
Now Fred looks pretty good. I bet he knew that Clark did this and held that press conference asking the police to look into who stole the tape. Now we know. I'm guessing that stealing stuff from the mayors office doesn't really fit into the city's 'code' either. haha.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 9:45 AM

duvall and merulla were the two councillors who received the recording and transcript.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy