HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:23 PM
-

1223 Baronne St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:GRGMVQ
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
DANIEL Samuels
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/9/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
The Scope of Work is limited to alterations as required to accommodate a Change of Use from Mixed Use (Business/Single Family Residential) to Business (Reception Hall with occupancy <50). Alterations include interior renovations to an existing bathroom as required to create an ADA-compliant toilet room, and renovations as required to create an accessible entrance/means of egress.

djsnola
4535 S Claiborne Ave·New Construction · Ref Code:1R77BB
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
John Dauer
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/9/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
The construction of a new three story 15,670 SF cold dark shell.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Good to know - I didn't realize they drew from the New Orleans market. There's also the Park at OWA near Gulf Shores, a little more than three hours away. Still, an underserved market compared to the population size.
Also Gulf Island water park in Gulport MS somewhat similar to Blue Bayou

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:47 PM

Construction on Drive Shack not expected to resume until next year
By: Andrew Valenti, Reporter February 10, 2021 0

Several New Orleans developments continue moving toward the finish line despite the lasting effects of COVID-19, while others have been delayed by the pandemic.

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...til-next-year/

Paywall article on Drive Shack status

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Construction on Drive Shack not expected to resume until next year
By: Andrew Valenti, Reporter February 10, 2021 0

Several New Orleans developments continue moving toward the finish line despite the lasting effects of COVID-19, while others have been delayed by the pandemic.

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...til-next-year/

Paywall article on Drive Shack status
I still think that will end up bulldozed or TopGolf take it over.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:12 PM
-

Flyover Ramps

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:14 PM
-

Mercedes Benz Dealership in CBD

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:31 PM

At Hard Rock site, New Orleans council wants this big change for any building taking

As demolition crews tear apart the final pieces of the collapsed 18-story Hard Rock Hotel, the New Orleans City Council is taking steps to block another high rise from emerging out of the wreckage.

The effort, which began during a council meeting Thursday, would revoke the permit that was granted to the project’s developers almost a decade ago after a bitter fight over the height of the building. The permit let the hotel rise three times higher above the intersection of Canal Street and North Rampart Street than regulations would otherwise allow.

That was the chief controversy surrounding the project, pitting developer Morgan Kailas against French Quarter residents who opposed such a tall addition. Councilmember Kristin Gisleson Palmer sponsored both the original 2011 measure that allowed for the taller building and the current measure making it harder to build something similar.

During Thursday's council meeting, members unanimously supported a motion calling on the Planning Commission to begin the process of revoking the conditional use permit. Palmer said that with demolition on the site nearly completed, it was time to move forward.

“This is an action I’ve been anxious to take up, but I wanted to make sure we didn’t interfere with any pending litigation and didn’t want to interfere with the demolition,” she said....

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/a...69fe5b2b2.html

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 2:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
As demolition crews tear apart the final pieces of the collapsed 18-story Hard Rock Hotel, the New Orleans City Council is taking steps to block another high rise from emerging out of the wreckage.

The effort, which began during a council meeting Thursday, would revoke the permit that was granted to the project’s developers almost a decade ago after a bitter fight over the height of the building. The permit let the hotel rise three times higher above the intersection of Canal Street and North Rampart Street than regulations would otherwise allow.

That was the chief controversy surrounding the project, pitting developer Morgan Kailas against French Quarter residents who opposed such a tall addition. Councilmember Kristin Gisleson Palmer sponsored both the original 2011 measure that allowed for the taller building and the current measure making it harder to build something similar.

During Thursday's council meeting, members unanimously supported a motion calling on the Planning Commission to begin the process of revoking the conditional use permit. Palmer said that with demolition on the site nearly completed, it was time to move forward.

“This is an action I’ve been anxious to take up, but I wanted to make sure we didn’t interfere with any pending litigation and didn’t want to interfere with the demolition,” she said....

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/a...69fe5b2b2.html
Im fine with something shorter but much better designed. with a larger footpront that should be an easy thing to do.. i just hope it doesnt becomes New Orleans version of Block 37 in Chicago(eventually that worked out but after years empty)

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 12, 2021 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Im fine with something shorter but much better designed. with a larger footpront that should be an easy thing to do.. i just hope it doesnt becomes New Orleans version of Block 37 in Chicago(eventually that worked out but after years empty)
Honestly the height limits on Canal for new construction are way too short in my opinion. I thought the idea of having a high rise in this location made a lot of sense and was a good corner for the french qaurter/cbd transition. I am sure plenty of people disagree with my feelings, but this return to the height limit will end up reducing the value of the property and limit Kailas's ability to pay out insurance claims and potentially tie up the property as a vacant eyesore for years, which i am sure no one on here wants to see.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 1:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
Honestly the height limits on Canal for new construction are way too short in my opinion. I thought the idea of having a high rise in this location made a lot of sense and was a good corner for the french qaurter/cbd transition. I am sure plenty of people disagree with my feelings, but this return to the height limit will end up reducing the value of the property and limit Kailas's ability to pay out insurance claims and potentially tie up the property as a vacant eyesore for years, which i am sure no one on here wants to see.
Definitely understand your point but he was also able to bulldoze a few buildings that expand footprint and would never have been allowed to be razed under normal circumstances

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
I definitely agree with you on the height limit. I can understand the limit on the French quarter side of canal but I don’t understand why we have hight limits in the other portions of the CBD or in the warehouse district. We should have 20-40 story apartment towers and hotels in the warehouse district and the CBD could be filled with 40-70 story mixed use towers of office and apartment / hotel.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 8:49 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Definitely understand your point but he was also able to bulldoze a few buildings that expand footprint and would never have been allowed to be razed under normal circumstances
Eh I think they're sending a clear message that they don't want Kailas involved. If Kailas sold the land and a more reputable developer came thru with a highrise proposal, they would probably consider it - especially after a few years.

The risk is that Kailas continues to sit on it and uses it for parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
I definitely agree with you on the height limit. I can understand the limit on the French quarter side of canal but I don’t understand why we have hight limits in the other portions of the CBD or in the warehouse district. We should have 20-40 story apartment towers and hotels in the warehouse district and the CBD could be filled with 40-70 story mixed use towers of office and apartment / hotel.
Developers can build tall if they want to, there are multiple sites in the CBD that could support tall towers. Canal Place Phase 3, the old Trump Tower site, Piazza D'Italia, multiple sites along Rampart and O'Keefe, etc. Highrises are just really expensive to build on a cost/SF basis, and the land isn't so costly that you need a highrise to make it pay.

The proposed convention center hotel is a highrise, so is the Caesars hotel. There hasn't really been any pushback on the building height in either case.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:08 AM

Any news on what's happening with the Convention Center Development? Also here is a view link to the GNOinc annual meeting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg51CjR7EFs&t=17s

Key Take Aways
- Support for a complete overhaul of the Louisiana Tax structure (eliminate Personal income tax & Corporate Tax)
- MD Anderson of neurodegenerative diseases
- Aerospace Office/research park @NASA Michoud
- Goal to become #1 for African Americans & Women in Tech
- re-shoring tech jobs
- Renewable energy capital (wind)
- Logistics Leader (River, Rail, Air, road)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
Any news on what's happening with the Convention Center Development? Also here is a view link to the GNOinc annual meeting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg51CjR7EFs&t=17s

Key Take Aways
- Support for a complete overhaul of the Louisiana Tax structure (eliminate Personal income tax & Corporate Tax)
- MD Anderson of neurodegenerative diseases
- Aerospace Office/research park @NASA Michoud
- Goal to become #1 for African Americans & Women in Tech
- re-shoring tech jobs
- Renewable energy capital (wind)
- Logistics Leader (River, Rail, Air, road)
All seems quiet on the convention center front. Although I did note from that video that Matt Schwartz from Domain Companies is now on the GNO Inc BoD, if you can take anything from that.

Some good stuff there like the tax changes but also some bluster and buzzwords I feel. The State needs some good concrete economic news, job creation or businesses moving in. Need to replace the Smoothie Kings, Tidewaters and Iberiabanks and at a level beyond contact center or hospitality jobs. Its easy to talk, but the state needs tangible signs of growth. High paying corporate jobs. Lost far too many to Texas in particular since Katrina.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Eh I think they're sending a clear message that they don't want Kailas involved. If Kailas sold the land and a more reputable developer came thru with a highrise proposal, they would probably consider it - especially after a few years.

The risk is that Kailas continues to sit on it and uses it for parking.

The most likely outcome is parking for years to come, IMO. Especially if the city revokes the permit.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:34 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
The most likely outcome is parking for years to come, IMO. Especially if the city revokes the permit.
A block 37 situation is the most likely. City permit prohibit specifically surface parking. Can assure you that wont happen there.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:24 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
A block 37 situation is the most likely. City permit prohibit specifically surface parking. Can assure you that wont happen there.
The problem with Block 37 was too many goals. Shopping, entertainment, dining, subway station, residential, office, etc. The developers were basically forced into an unprofitable mix of uses.

If you mean that the site will sit vacant for years as an eyesore, you're probably right about that. The Council will make life very hard for Kailas and nothing will happen with the land until he is forced to sell.

It would be cool if City Council would consider interim uses for the the land other than parking. Could do a pretty neat food truck plaza here, maybe with a quick stage for free performances. Portland has a lot of these and they're great for keeping land active and useful until a permanent development comes along. But they're still a bunch of trucks with noisy generators and string lights, so nobody gets *too* attached. I know there was one on St Claude and one near Tchoup but this site has *way* more tourist and foot traffic.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The problem with Block 37 was too many goals. Shopping, entertainment, dining, subway station, residential, office, etc. The developers were basically forced into an unprofitable mix of uses.

If you mean that the site will sit vacant for years as an eyesore, you're probably right about that. The Council will make life very hard for Kailas and nothing will happen with the land until he is forced to sell.

It would be cool if City Council would consider interim uses for the the land other than parking. Could do a pretty neat food truck plaza here, maybe with a quick stage for free performances. Portland has a lot of these and they're great for keeping land active and useful until a permanent development comes along. But they're still a bunch of trucks with noisy generators and string lights, so nobody gets *too* attached. I know there was one on St Claude and one near Tchoup but this site has *way* more tourist and foot traffic.
Some kind of park or plaza type thing would be a best case scenario here. I dont see anyway the council would allow surface parking so thats def not going to happen at least.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:08 PM
-

Crime Lab 2761 Gravier St. New Orleans, LA

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:12 PM
-

Progress at TMG's 710 Baronne Project. The exterior wall bracing is completed and the interior demolition is about to begin.
#whatwillyoubuildtoday

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations