HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Dartmouth] Dartmouth Cove | ? m | ? fl | Vision

The WDCL has put up more information about Dartmouth Cove so I figured it was time for a thread.

Here's their page: http://my-waterfront.ca/development/...rehensive-plan

Some images from the site:

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 12:17 PM

it's all very nice, but something needs to be done with Dominion Diving; there are ways to have industrial yards that don't look such a mess.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 2:20 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I see a "potential Trolly Station".

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 4:12 PM
BANNED

I see a rather tiny portion of space for 'The Beach.'

I'm a size queen when it comes to beaches. I'm hopeful for something much, much bigger because I'm fairly certain a beach in this city would be crazy popular.

There is an incredible amount of shoreline space in front of the community college, as well.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I see a rather tiny portion of space for 'The Beach.'

I'm a size queen when it comes to beaches. I'm hopeful for something much, much bigger because I'm fairly certain a beach in this city would be crazy popular.

There is an incredible amount of shoreline space in front of the community college, as well.
I agree, I think you could take the park that is number 10 and reduce it to allow the beach to be expanded.

That said, it's a very impressive plan. 18 to 20 stories, to me, is a very good start for the reinvention of Dartmouth's DT. Keep in mind, that the signature building for King's Wharf will also add nice height in this area. But if that weren't to happen, even the proposed context is acceptable as the next step in the evolution of the area (given the existing tall buildings along Portland near the Ferry Terminal).

If this plan gets approved, it simply adds more ammunition for buildings of similar height further up the hill and the King's Wharf signature building really helps with the argument.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 5:16 PM

Aren't we just so avant garde?

http://i.imgur.com/fZmFi.png

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 5:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
Aren't we just so avant garde?

http://i.imgur.com/fZmFi.png

I guess they're talking about another lighthouse...

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I guess they're talking about another lighthouse...
Made out of pubic hair? Gross...re-look at the image again someone, the word isn't PUBLIC.
I had that happen to me in writing a bylaw, I had pubic instead of public. 18 sets of eyes saw it; read it as public. It was a very observant member of the clerks staff who caught it last minute and changed it, thank god.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Made out of pubic hair? Gross...re-look at the image again someone, the word isn't PUBLIC.
I had that happen to me in writing a bylaw, I had pubic instead of public. 18 sets of eyes saw it; read it as public. It was a very observant member of the clerks staff who caught it last minute and changed it, thank god.
I think Someone123 gets it... and was referring to a fine establishment of yore by the same name that was once at the south end of Barrington Street.... Lol

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I think Someone123 gets it... and was referring to a fine establishment of yore by the same name that was once at the south end of Barrington Street.... Lol
Ahhh then I didn't get it
Ahhh yes the lighthouse...lol.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:52 PM

Not sure if anyone saw this presentation, but it's going to Harbour East Council this week.

Considering the goals of the Downtown Dartmouth MPS, if this plan is approved I think we should see Dartmouth well on it's way to finally reaching the population goals set out in the MPS. I know when King's Wharf was being prepared, the staff report noted that the population goals had not been achieved - this should do it quite nicely. Plus, this should help with the issue of ferry passengers and sustained nightime service. With way more people living in the Downtown of Dartmouth (and likely at least 50% commuting to Halifax) the ridership numbers over the next few years should climb.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 6:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Hmm.. I forgot about this and I don't know if I should clear it up now or just leave it as a mystery. I was actually alluding to the "phallic" appearance of lighthouse (though I've got to say it drives me crazy when skyscraper talk descents into a postmodern feminist debate about aggressive capitalism and phalluses -- I don't know what they say about stadiums).

The missed population targets come as no surprise. It would be really hard to add many people when you're looking at piecemeal development like Founder's Corner that always gets delayed and scaled down for one reason or another. I like that type of smaller scaled infill but it's also important to tackle the big brownfield sites with larger-scale development, and that is where a lot of the demographic change will come from. In Dartmouth so far this has been King's Wharf. In Halifax a few years ago we had Gladstone Ridge, which could have on the order of 1,000 residents when the new building is done.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 9:45 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Not sure if anyone saw this presentation, but it's going to Harbour East Council this week.

Considering the goals of the Downtown Dartmouth MPS, if this plan is approved I think we should see Dartmouth well on it's way to finally reaching the population goals set out in the MPS. I know when King's Wharf was being prepared, the staff report noted that the population goals had not been achieved - this should do it quite nicely. Plus, this should help with the issue of ferry passengers and sustained nightime service. With way more people living in the Downtown of Dartmouth (and likely at least 50% commuting to Halifax) the ridership numbers over the next few years should climb.
This is very impressive. If this gets built along with Kings Wharf then this will be about the densest residential area in all of the HRM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 12:07 AM

These projects really have to potential to provide a benchmark for future growth in the HRM, particularly because they are so 'community oriented'. I can imagine projects with a similar scale and cohesiveness around the Kempt Rd and Shannon Park area, for instance.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 8:26 AM

Has this made any headway, I thought it was set for approval for in 2013

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 10:15 PM

While it is old news I see this rendering never made it into this thread. No idea where it is in the process, but I know the Cunard Block will happen before this one.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...pt-takes-shape

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 11:30 PM
hi

Thanks for posting - makes sense to include in this thread.

This is a huge lot with huge potential. I would like to see it broken up a bit, with a couple of towers and more of a variety at street level. And maybe part of the building could follow the contour of Alderney Dr. Anyway, nice tower but the rest is way too short and wide for this prime spot imo.

Also, if any development in Dartmouth is limited by viewplanes from the Brightwood golf course (aren't they moving anyway?), I will cry a lot.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Thanks for posting - makes sense to include in this thread.

This is a huge lot with huge potential. I would like to see it broken up a bit, with a couple of towers and more of a variety at street level. And maybe part of the building could follow the contour of Alderney Dr. Anyway, nice tower but the rest is way too short and wide for this prime spot imo.

Also, if any development in Dartmouth is limited by viewplanes from the Brightwood golf course (aren't they moving anyway?), I will cry a lot.
WDC-1 lot may require removal of at least 50,000 tons of pyritic slate.
The property has been empty for 38 years.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 2:14 AM

Quote:

It's a promising start, but yeah, it should be broken up at street level more. I don't know what's up with all the massive slab designs lately. Have local architects already forgotten the Vic Suites? I assumed after that was built that we'd see a lot more buildings that similarly break the street frontage in a way that's both visually interesting and better at animating the street. But, it hasn't really happened.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 1:02 PM

Quote:
View planes from Brightwood are gone. The City decided it wasn't right to protect views from private land. There are still some view planes from Dartmouth Common though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth