HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 12:30 PM

Airport light-rail route

Railroaded by train plan?

600 West neighbors say a switch in the route will ruin their community

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_6757432?source=rv

Bob Martines, a resident and rental property owner in the 600 West area, is among west-siders who object to a proposal to put a TRAX airport rail route at 600 West. "It's going to be an ungodly looking structure down here," he says. (Trent Nelson/The Salt Lake Tribune )

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 12:58 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

There are some very interesting points in the article on both sides of the issue. I definetly agree that the N Temple Viaduct combo would be a great idea, but on the other hand it seems to make sense that everything should funnel through Central Station. I think the quote at the end that if it goes to Central Station people just won't ride it from the Airport, is just a weak argument against the 600 W route.

While I'm not happy that we built a new train station when Boyer could have done a fantastic reuse of the UP station at Gateway including Front Runner and Traxx, I am glad that Central Station has been built as a Transit Center.

I also can see that the citizens might be upset about a bridge, while I'm sure they imagine it being a much larger struture than it will be, they still have a genuine right to be concerned.

It's a tough call, I wish Council the best on this decision.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:47 PM

This would be a tough call Future Mayor. Really the only solution as far as making both parties happy, will certainly cost more money. I've been quite impressed with what the Martines family has done along 600 west with the 19th century homes. They've really made an effort to contribute to the revitalization of the street. Also there are several hundred new apartment units just across the street, and another 290 just breaking ground. The structures are acceptibly attractive, while not as urban dense as we would like, as have previously discussed on the SLC thread. It would be a shame to stick a big viaduct of columns in the front streetscape. I'm afraid it would turn the street into a future ghetto-scape. Remember the 400 so. viaduct and what it did for Pioneer Park?

Here's another article this-morning from the Des. News.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...205995,00.html

Alternate TRAX route draws west-siders'ire

Last edited by delts145; Aug 31, 2007 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 1:50 PM

double post..

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 4:01 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

There are some very interesting points in the article on both sides of the issue. I definetly agree that the N Temple Viaduct combo would be a great idea, but on the other hand it seems to make sense that everything should funnel through Central Station. I think the quote at the end that if it goes to Central Station people just won't ride it from the Airport, is just a weak argument against the 600 W route.
I like the 600 W route better, but I don't like it running on North Temple. I can get downtown in 13 minutes from Magna ... mainly because I take 215 to Redwood, and fly east on North Temple at 55-60 MPH.... (shhh, it's actually 45, but don't tell anybody).

I'm sure once they have trains running on that street they'll lower the speed limit ... or will the rail lines be off to the side? Isn't there a rail line just south of North Temple they could run it on?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 4:04 PM
Exit 298

Aha! There is!

So my question ... why ruin a perfectly good street, when they can run the rail along existing railroad lines?

For staters TRAX can go 55 on a dedicated right of way. but only like 30 when it's running down the middle of the street.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 4:14 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I understand what you are saying about the existing tracks being faster. However I think the purpose of the plan to run it down the middle of N. Temple is to help connect that part of the city more with downtown and to hopefully spur a little new development on the west side. No offence to anyone that may live in that area, but that area of town isn't currently the safest warm and fuzzy part of town. I'm not sure alot of people would want to get off the train to walk a block or two through unfamiliar neighborhoods or down unfamiliar streets to walk to the fair park for instance.

While it may take a few minutes longer, I like the idea of running it down N. Temple. I think it will help the entire area, maybe not in first 5 years after Traxx starts running but eventually N. Temple could once again be a major corridor in the city.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 8:18 PM
BANNED

In the Utah State Fair Park Real Stadium site plan that I saw, both tracks for TRAX, were aligned on the North side of the street, rather than down the middle. I prefer it on the side, making it easier and safer for pedestrians to board and get off the trains.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 8:48 PM
BANNED

double post

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 11:13 AM

Metro-- Park City

Park City hoping to turn walkable, bikeable

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...207094,00.html

..."As Park City keeps growing, it's getting busier and busier, and it's time we address this with safe routes to school," said Carol Potter, a member of Share the Road and executive director of the Mountain Trails Advocacy Group

City officials have been very receptive. They hired Salt Lake City-based consulting group Landmark Design to create a trail system to fit in with Park City's unique mountain, urban environment.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 1:29 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

That's good news. Thanks for the link delts. I think if the bond passes and the trail goes in it will be a good sign for the entire Wasatch Front and Back. I hope that Salt Lake City and County can push forward with plans to connect the foothills to the river. I know it's in the works but it would be nice to see them move it up a little on the priority list.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 11:50 AM

2-year reconstruction project on I-80 from State Street to 1300 East under way

New technologies are expected to limit heavy traffic delays

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...207318,00.html

UDOT moves concrete barriers on one of I-80's busiest sections as reconstruction begins from State Street to 1300 East on Tuesday.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 12:53 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I'm glad to see that construction is starting on this rebuild. One thing I am diappointed about is that UDOT didn't have the foresight to add car pool interchanges to I-15 when it was reconstructed.

I think that car pools lanes along the east belt and more specifically I-80 east of 15 would be a good idea. They should have built car pool interchanges on the 15 rebuild and could have kept them closed until this new I-80 project is done. That would have given a nice flow of car pool traffic from both 15-80 and 80-15.

I will admit right now that I am in no way an artist and this is the best I could do with MS Paint. I think however that it give the basic idea of what I mean.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Sep 14, 2007 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 6:58 PM

good call.

something else I think they should have done which it doesn't look like they will is to make the I15 southbound to I80 eastbound state street exit pass underneath the I15 northbound to I80 eastbound bridge. A big reason there is such a back up there is cars trying to merge onto I80 from I15 NB have to cross the cars trying to exit on state street from I15 SB.

I don't know if this made sense but I promise it would be a good idea, but probably fairly expensive.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 8:54 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I'm glad to see that construction is starting on this rebuild. One thing I am diappointed about is that UDOT didn't have the foresight to add car pool interchanges to I-15 when it was reconstructed.

I think that car pools lanes along the east belt and more specifically I-80 east of 15 would be a good idea. They should have built car pool interchanges on the 15 rebuild and could have kept them closed until this new I-80 project is done. That would have given a nice flow of car pool traffic from both 15-80 and 80-15.

I will admit right now that I am in no way an artist and this is the best I could do with MS Paint. I think however that it give the basic idea of what I mean.
Dang! Nice idea. That would've been a smart idea.

I would've been happy if they'd actually BANKED the ramps, so I don't have to slow to 55.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 11:30 PM

I think I like i-215's idea for an airport Trax line. I some times ride Trax to school, I like it but it's too slow, only because it has to go 25mph on downtown streets.
I like the idea of Trax helping to revitolize that part of town and you could probubly easily convince me that N. Temple is the way to go, but I think 55mph sounds alot better right now.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I think I like i-215's idea for an airport Trax line. I some times ride Trax to school, I like it but it's too slow, only because it has to go 25mph on downtown streets.
I like the idea of Trax helping to revitolize that part of town and you could probubly easily convince me that N. Temple is the way to go, but I think 55mph sounds alot better right now.
yeah I agree, Traxx is WAY too slow on normal streets, the last thing I would want is to be trying to catch a plane and feeling rushed, but trax just chugs along at 25 mph and stops every couple blocks. ... I say this out of experience as well. I live downtown, and use trax very often. From the city center stop that I get on at to rice eccles stadium is like 35-40 minutes. Ridiculous considering it is only 16 blocks away. ... However I shouldn't complain, I am grateful we have it.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
From the city center stop that I get on at to rice eccles stadium is like 35-40 minutes.
Ridiculous, it only takes me 10 min on TRAX to go that distance during rush hour. You must be counting the time waiting for the train.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 1:21 PM

UDOT to begin testing 'continuous flow' intersection Sunday at 3500 South and Bangerter

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...210032,00.html

A continuous flow inersection (CFI) is designed to cut traffic wait-times by eliminating one light in a cycle of traffic lights. Left-turning mortorists are directed by a series of green lights into a new lane located on the far side of oncoming lanes of traffic...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 2:01 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

The link from the article explains the process of the intersection so much better than the original little animated diagram. I think it might take the really stupid drivers a little while to catch on, just as it did on the new single point interchanges on the freeways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West