HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:16 PM

This pic reminds me - a friend says that the strata councils at Anchor Point are receiving offers from developers
(i.e. buy-out and dissolution for redevelopment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisVerbatim View Post
there's definitely activity today. The excavator is digging and moving all around the site:

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:26 PM

That would be complicated. There are 3 separate stratas and each strata has something like 100 units each

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
That would be complicated. There are 3 separate stratas and each strata has something like 100 units each
But don't forget new legislation sets the bar lower, only 80% of the strata owners have to agree to sell to force a sale. That's pretty shocking if you think about it, it totally upends decades of tradition in terms of property ownership.

Is Anchor Point not encumbered by a view cone?

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
But don't forget new legislation sets the bar lower, only 80% of the strata owners have to agree to sell to force a sale. That's pretty shocking if you think about it, it totally upends decades of tradition in terms of property ownership.

It's not quite as simple as simply getting 80%. It requires a court order from a judge and can take upwards of 2 years to obtain. If the opposing owners have valid claims for hardship it can be defeated.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yes, but it can still go taller than the existing building - and would have good views.

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/guidelines/V003.pdf

Viewcone 12.1.1

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...cones/1211.htm

Viewcone 12.1.2

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...cones/1212.htm

Viewcone 12.1.3

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...cones/1213.htm

Last edited by officedweller; May 27, 2016 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 11:40 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yes, but it can still go taller than the existing building - and would have good views.
Those buildings are quite beefy as they are, i wonder if it's structurally possible to do a comprehensive redevelopment of the block by adding more floors above and create a covered open area beneath the new floors similar to Central in false creek.

Add just enough floors to bring it to the viewcone height and reclad the existing buildings and possibly add more retail space. An asymmetrical triangular addition above with one wing of the triangle sitting on each of the 3 existing buildings would look amazing.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:25 AM

Interesting idea.

If the existing building can't support a vertical addition, the courtyard probably provides ample space for new supports.

There are a lot of small units in those buildings - so I suppose it depends on what the market positioning would be for a redeveloped project and whether larger units could be configured in the existing blocks.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:13 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Figured I'd start a rumour to liven up the place. We will be seeing a proposal come forward soon, the scope of which BC has never seen before both in height and density and it's unlikely to get surpassed. I'm sure there will be vocal local backlash against it. The site is in Vancouver proper and will be very we served by transit. That is all anyone is getting for now, further update after Oct 8th. And before people get too carried away, my words were carefully chosen.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:17 AM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:17 AM

I am guessing a major redevelopment at the Broadway hub?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:18 AM

Hope your right. We need a game changer. Well served by transit? Maybe a Waterfront Hub proposal?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Figured I'd start a rumour to liven up the place. We will be seeing a proposal come forward soon, the scope of which BC has never seen before both in height and density and it's unlikely to get surpassed. I'm sure there will be vocal local backlash against it. The site is in Vancouver proper and will be very we served by transit. That is all anyone is getting for now, further update after Oct 8th. And before people get too carried away, my words were carefully chosen.
I ask for one hint. In your opinion does the project have a chance to be approved by the city with out being significantly scaled back?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Hope your right. We need a game changer. Well served by transit? Maybe a Waterfront Hub proposal?
I sure hope not, how would a tall tower ever get approved there?

Again, 50 bucks says Broadway Hub. No view comes there I believe?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Local neighbourhood opposition, especially in a neighbourhood like that, is just as much a deterrent as viewcones. Imo. And I believe the OCP for that area has height restrictions. Makes sense though.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
My bet is this is Holborn's Bay Parkade site across from Telus Garden

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:55 AM

Logically, we would have to pich a site DT that has no height restrictions, but is also well served by transit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

I think you may be correct. It honestly cant be anywhere downtown because of (as you mentioned) viewcones.

I'll take a tall building just about anywhere, but I have to admit a building taller then 200 metres poking up all by itself in that location, might look kind of odd. Though I would expect the people in the neighborhood would burn the same neighborhood to the ground before they would allow something like that to be built there.......so maybe we're missing something here?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:02 AM

The park directly above Burrard Station?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
I think you may be correct. It honestly cant be anywhere downtown because of (as you mentioned) viewcones.

I'll take a tall building just about anywhere, but I have to admit a building taller then 200 metres poking up all by itself in that location, might look kind of odd. Though I would expect the people in the neighborhood would burn the same neighborhood to the ground before they would allow something like that to be built there.......so maybe were missing something here?
Given the wording of "Vancouver proper" and "well served by transit" and "tallest in BC" it is the only sight I can think of, unless it is one of the eastern most stations in Vancouver proper along the M-Line (kind of placing it within the Brentwood tower boom) or a complete revamp of Oakridge.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:14 AM

I would like to say the HUB but the first proposals I think were already getting their height hacked so who knows. The Molson site and Jericho lands are a bit too soon for a proposals and are not really that well served by transit, yet. Broadway is unlikely, heights there were already getting scaled back. There is false creek around BC place, that should be seeing proposals and there could be surprises that the city might support since that whole area is such a political gong show. Other then that you have south east false creek up around VCC Clark where there is plenty of land to work with, Rupert and Renfrew area and maybe something down by the Fraser at Cambie where someone is holding out for the city to rezone for the long haul on all that old empty industrial land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver