HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:59 AM

I think this trumps everything else in this thread:
Quote:
Tim Hortons app violated privacy laws in collection of ‘vast amounts’ of sensitive location data
GATINEAU, QC, June 1, 2022 – People who downloaded the Tim Hortons app had their movements tracked and recorded every few minutes of every day, even when their app was not open, in violation of Canadian privacy laws, a joint investigation by federal and provincial privacy authorities has found.
The Tim Hortons app asked for permission to access the mobile device’s geolocation functions, but misled many users to believe information would only be accessed when the app was in use. In reality, the app tracked users as long as the device was on, continually collecting their location data.

The app also used location data to infer where users lived, where they worked, and whether they were travelling. It generated an “event” every time users entered or left a Tim Hortons competitor, a major sports venue, or their home or workplace.
https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/opc-news/n...2/nr-c_220601/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 2:02 PM
I am the law!

Bad Tim Hortons app.

I know a few people that ardently feel their privacy is violated by cameras in public spaces and yet they download every app and give permission to every ask for rewards, convenience and/or save a few seconds.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 2:07 PM

Privacy. 2022.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 2:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
their ethics are almost as vile as their brew

Quote:
“Tim Hortons clearly crossed the line by amassing a huge amount of highly sensitive information about its customers. Following people’s movements every few minutes of every day was clearly an inappropriate form of surveillance. This case once again highlights the harms that can result from poorly designed technologies as well as the need for strong privacy laws to protect the rights of Canadians.” – Daniel Therrien, Privacy Commissioner of Canada
they don't give a shit (until they are caught red handed). Roll up the rim and dispense with your privacy.

Lawsuits are coming.
Tim Hortons app tracked too much personal information without adequate consent, investigation finds

BM knows where you have been.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 5:09 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 5:13 PM
I am the law!

well done sir

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
They could easily just go to another Tim's location, park their trucks, walk in, sit down and talk with their friends. Timmins is probably one of the worst places for the encouragement of car/truck culture.
If I had to take a stab at a big reason why - can't smoke inside the Timmies.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I feel that car culture is all encompassing: a product of our shitty urban planning and wasteful psychology.

Whereas truck culture is not only the most egregious form of car culture, but it is also an identity, one that is partly rooted in a desire to "own the libs" by using a vehicle that weighs 10-15 times what the driver weighs just to pick up a coffee.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:35 PM
I am the law!

7 out of every 10 vehicles I pass walking in my neighbourhood are SUV types; two are sedans or coupes and, one's a truck. The only American brand is the truck. I like doing different things so I do find it a little weird seeing two or three SUVs lined up on a driveway.

MAGA types do like trucks. It's a practical choice as they are the only vehicles they fit into.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I feel that car culture is all encompassing: a product of our shitty urban planning and wasteful psychology.

Whereas truck culture is not only the most egregious form of car culture, but it is also an identity, one that is partly rooted in a desire to "own the libs" by using a vehicle that weighs 10-15 times what the driver weighs just to pick up a coffee.
The own the libs culture definitely likes trucks, but I don’t think truck culture is automatically own the libs culture.

It’s rooted more in masculinity and ultimate capability that trucks present.

It is generally shocking the number of people who own full size trucks that literally never use them for anything generally though for sure.

There is also a lot of truck owners who use them for “things” like toying toys and hauling yard waste, etc, who generally just have way more capability than they need and could get away with an suv or small truck instead. Something like the Ford Maverick is all 80% of truck owners really need.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
7 out of every 10 vehicles I pass walking in my neighbourhood are SUV types; two are sedans or coupes and, one's a truck. The only American brand is the truck. I like doing different things so I do find it a little weird seeing two or three SUVs lined up on a driveway.

MAGA types do like trucks. It's a practical choice as they are the only vehicles they fit into.
Anti-MAGA types drive trucks as well! I need my trucks for work. It's almost embarrassing being seen in one at this point though...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 11:22 PM
Fake News

Saw an ad for this yesterday. The end times must be upon us.

https://www.chewboom.com/2022/05/30/...eam-in-canada/

Last edited by O-tacular; Jun 4, 2022 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 4:04 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Anti-MAGA types drive trucks as well! I need my trucks for work. It's almost embarrassing being seen in one at this point though...
I would have stood out in Oklahoma last year even if I wasn't the only one wearing a face mask. It's no wonder a large sized T Shirt from an American chain like old Navy is as big as an XL from an international source.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
their ethics are almost as vile as their brew

they don't give a shit (until they are caught red handed). Roll up the rim and dispense with your privacy.

Lawsuits are coming.
Tim Hortons app tracked too much personal information without adequate consent, investigation finds

BM knows where you have been.
The parent company of Tim Hortons, Restaurant Brands International (RBI) is STILL doing business in Russia. RBI owns big chains including Burger King, Popeye's and Firehouse Subs. They are still operating all of their many Burger King restaurants in Russia yet most other international chain restaurants have left Russia. That alone shows how much their executives are assholes!

If you're buying from Tim's then you're supporting Putin.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 5:36 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
The parent company of Tim Hortons, Restaurant Brands International (RBI) is STILL doing business in Russia. RBI owns big chains including Burger King, Popeye's and Firehouse Subs. They are still operating all of their many Burger King restaurants in Russia yet most other international chain restaurants have left Russia. That alone shows how much their executives are assholes!

That's how you lose control of your brands - Tim's is owned by a Brazilian company, and Brazil has had a rather ambivalent attitude to Putin & the war.

^ BTW Ben looks like he needs more than coffee in that pic.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:

I was not aware. Thank you for sharing that information.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
That's how you lose control of your brands - Tim's is owned by a Brazilian company, and Brazil has had a rather ambivalent attitude to Putin & the war.
I have definitely noticed a strain of South American support for Russia in the war. Where is this coming from? What's in it for some random Brazilian to cheer on Putin's efforts at exterminating Ukrainians?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have definitely noticed a strain of South American support for Russia in the war. Where is this coming from? What's in it for some random Brazilian to cheer on Putin's efforts at exterminating Ukrainians?
Speculative guesses:

1. Ukraine is supported by the West (i.e. the United States and friends), so a reflexive anti-US instinct is to support Putin.

2. There is a latent instinct to authoritarian rule in South America. It exists everywhere, but South America has a more complex relationship with it, depending on the country. Machismo is a thing, and being macho doesn't really lend itself to democratic government. Putin is a strongman. The appeal is there.

3. Lack of vested interest in the region. Ukraine might as well be the moon for most in South America. There isn't much in the way of cultural ties, so people getting killed there doesn't have a knock-on effect into the cultural fabric of society. Here, that's different.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Speculative guesses:

1. Ukraine is supported by the West (i.e. the United States and friends), so a reflexive anti-US instinct is to support Putin.

2. There is a latent instinct to authoritarian rule in South America. It exists everywhere, but South America has a more complex relationship with it, depending on the country. Machismo is a thing, and being macho doesn't really lend itself to democratic government. Putin is a strongman. The appeal is there.

3. Lack of vested interest in the region. Ukraine might as well be the moon for most in South America. There isn't much in the way of cultural ties, so people getting killed there doesn't have a knock-on effect into the cultural fabric of society. Here, that's different.
Interesting thoughts. I would imagine number one has to be the main driving factor. There is a strong anti-US sentiment underlying a lot of what I've read and heard coming from the global south.

As to the third point, there is actually a small but not insignificant Ukrainian community in Brazil numbering in the hundreds of thousands. It's not so large as to really help shape popular opinion the Ukraine situation as we're seeing in Canada (or even the US), but one would think they are making their views known to at least some extent.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 10:03 PM
Fake News

Don’t forget human dumpster fire Bolsorano is allies with Putin and is using Russian fertilizer to help in his quest to flatten the Amazon rainforest for farmland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada