HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:07 AM
Closed account

yep..I have bonfires in my backyard right downtown. So do all the neighbours! lol.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:56 AM

I wonder when the trend in the States is going to catch up wjth us here? Nobody's moving into new developments and they're turning into mini ghost towns... Retiring baby boomers and generation y'ers who want urban living are taking over the majority of the population..

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 2:02 AM
On Guard For Thee

adam--that "trend" is the result of serious difficulty in the real estate market. You can't move into a new house without being able to sell your old one. Some of these "mini ghost towns" are also the result of the bankruptcy of developers/land owners.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 3:55 AM
Closed account

gas prices are having a psychological impact too.
In reality it's only about $5-10 bucks more for a tank now than last year, but people are responding like it's $500. I hope gas goes up by another full dollar.
We'd see tons more of these scooters, bikes and folks moving into the city.
I can't believe the number of electric bikes and scooters in my hood. It's wicked. They're all over the place.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
adam--that "trend" is the result of serious difficulty in the real estate market. You can't move into a new house without being able to sell your old one. Some of these "mini ghost towns" are also the result of the bankruptcy of developers/land owners.
I'm not sure what your point is, but you are forgetting new families and first time home buyers as well as a host of other variables. Its not a cut and dry system. I wouldn't try to quantify the trend in a couple sentences alone.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 12:45 PM
Closed account

Adam, I would LOVE for the Greenwashing trend to even exist in the US which is doesn't. They're still as ignorant as usual towards the environment.
Go to a US grocery store and bring in your own bag... they'll look at you like you walked in from the Ghetto.

You can have fires in Strathcona, rth??? Last time I tried that at my mom's place in Upp SC the fire dept showed up :s It's a $200 fine!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
gas prices are having a psychological impact too.
In reality it's only about $5-10 bucks more for a tank now than last year, but people are responding like it's $500. I hope gas goes up by another full dollar.
We'd see tons more of these scooters, bikes and folks moving into the city.
I can't believe the number of electric bikes and scooters in my hood. It's wicked. They're all over the place.
When you spend $11-12,000 in gas a year just on business, $10 is a lot.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
Adam, I would LOVE for the Greenwashing trend to even exist in the US which is doesn't. They're still as ignorant as usual towards the environment.
Go to a US grocery store and bring in your own bag... they'll look at you like you walked in from the Ghetto.

You can have fires in Strathcona, rth??? Last time I tried that at my mom's place in Upp SC the fire dept showed up :s It's a $200 fine!
no, you technically can't have fires, but everyone does.
this ain't the burbs where people sit at home peering out their windows spying on their neighbours to see if their kid steps on my front lawn etc.... lol.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
When you spend $11-12,000 in gas a year just on business, $10 is a lot.
cost of doing business.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
no, you technically can't have fires, but everyone does.
this ain't the burbs where people sit at home peering out their windows spying on their neighbours to see if their kid steps on my front lawn etc.... lol.
Sweet. I guess one just needs an ultra-dense hood to light fires hehe
Maybe I should light one on my balc? Nahhh (but I DO have an electric bbq, SHHH)

I dunno bout the burbs alone on that, dude. I spent the 1st couple years of my life on Colbourne St in the Jamesville area and lemme tell you, those Portugese/Italian ladies sit on their patios making sure no one touches their lawn...eerr, I mean veggie gardens! I've almost lost a hand b4! hahaha jks

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 2:38 PM

Its legal to have a fire as long as you have a grill on the top and its official purpose is for cooking!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 2:17 PM
On Guard For Thee

They're still as ignorant as usual towards the environment.
Go to a US grocery store and bring in your own bag... they'll look at you like you walked in from the Ghetto

I find gross generalizations to also be an indicator of ignorance. Not sure when the last time you visited a U.S. grocery store was--but I can assure you they all sell those reuseable bags. As someone born and raised in Canada, I've never been able to grasp the strange inferiority/superiority duality that seems to exist among people like yourself.

I'm not sure what your point is, but you are forgetting new families and first time home buyers as well as a host of other variables. Its not a cut and dry system. I wouldn't try to quantify the trend in a couple sentences alone.

Strange, because you were the one that tried to quantify it in a single sentence.

I hope gas goes up by another full dollar.

Ignoring, of course, the devestating impact that this could have elsewhere in the economy. As an ardant supporter of small/independent business, I would expect you would sensitive to their economic stablility--considering they tend to be the most impacted by shifts in consumer spending. We are already seeing significant reductions in consumption, and significantly reduced growth in consumption in the developing world.

I'm all for diversity of transport modes. Perhaps, in the near future--the driver's of these other vehicles will be subject to the same level of enforcement of the highway traffic act as the driver's of motor vehicles. Compliance comes with enforcement, safety comes with compliance.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 2:50 PM

...and yet another construction thread is hijacked with the same tired discussions spatterd about among many other threads in this SSP. Does anyone have anyhting to contribute about Ironstone Condos?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 4:47 PM

With regards to cyclists, pedestrians and scooters and legal enforcement...

I just took a walk to do some errands and observed 15 vehicles arrive at a stop sign, and not a single one came to a stop. Also the 40km/h limit was not observed by about 10 of these vehicles. How's that for compliance? Whatever systems are in place are clearly ineffective for motor vehicles.

Last edited by adam; Aug 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 6:06 PM
Closed account

yea, I just had to renew the stupid sticker on my license plate and walked out feeling like I've been robbed.
What a waste of money. I shouldn't have to renew the plates until my license comes up for renewal.
the last thing I want to see is the heavy hand of Mr. Government crushing every other mode of transportation and lifestyle choices.
We've allowed them and the oil companies to corner us for too long. It's time for freedom, my friend.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
yea, I just had to renew the stupid sticker on my license plate and walked out feeling like I've been robbed.
What a waste of money. I shouldn't have to renew the plates until my license comes up for renewal.
If you're so anti-car, then don't drive. Leave it up to the real world.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 1:46 AM
Closed account

^not sure what that means. i don't drive and my feet are planted firmly on terra firma.

having gas increase by another dollar/litre is the best thing that could happen to us. sure, 'joe pickup truck' isn't gonna like it but it will allow us to continue our excessive lives just a little longer. that's what we all want right? damn straight it is, so let's eek things out as long as we can.

incidentally, wouldn't it be great if we could have a bike maker open shop in hamilton? there's no doubt that bike sales are going to continue to increase with each passing year. probably hasn't crossed the minds of our city officials.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 3:33 AM
Closed account

the entire economy is shifting away from wasteful, corporate greed and into new ideas that are sustainable and wise.
Cities that embrace the new economy will love the future.
Cities that try to grasp onto the cheap-oil past are dead. No hope. No future.
That's another reason I'd like to see all of the relics on council and in the Chamber of 'commerce' turfed as soon as possible. They've screwed up enough in this city. If we aren't careful they're going to screw up our future too (again).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 3:12 PM

Whatever do you mean?!? Gas is only $1.25/litre now... so cheap!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 3:20 PM

Great article here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs