HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

The One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:05 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Thanks for making this video, and the other images you posted previously. They helped me appreciate how many skyscrapers and high-rises Toronto has (I had expected fewer). Easily one of North America's top five skylines, possibly #3 as someone else said, but IMO it needs a supertall skyscraper, not tower, that really dominates. First Canadian Place is just a little taller than Scotia Plaza and Aura at College Park, and in 2021 The One will be barely taller than First Canadian Place. Perhaps Toronto is just too satisfied with CN Tower, but again it's a tower, not a skyscraper. We are all skyscraper enthusiasts here, not tower enthusiasts. It would be much nicer to have a very prominent skyscraper, which probably would need to be at least 400 m.

Let me make it clear that I am not bashing Toronto. As I said, its skyline is one of the most impressive in North America. What I am saying that it could be even better, by having a supertall skyscraper that really stands out.
Toronto is the most conservative, pragmatic, no nonsense city I've ever encountered. I agree that a 400m tower would look fantastic but nothing that tall will ever get built until land values and demand dictate that it be that tall.

Quite predictably when the first 300m building was proposed it wasn't long before it was joined by a string of proposals 300m+. As the city booms/grows the upper most limit nudges up. I wouldn't be surprised if by 2022 the city started seeing 350m buildings proposed. 400m? That will surely happen but we'll just have to wait.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction