HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbAustinite View Post
i wrote to maggiano's to find out when they plan on opening, and this was their reply:

July 9, 2009

Dear Mr. LongDuckDong,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us an email and your interest in Maggiano's. As of right now we have not established an opening date for our Austin location.

You are welcome to check back closer to the end of 2009 and perhaps we will have an estimated opening date by then.

We again thank you for your interest in Maggiano's.

Maggiano's
Guest Relations
Reference Number: 309100

despite the nation's economic climate, austin is doing well and maybe it will open in february--we shall see. as far as bj's, i'm still waiting to hear from them. when i do, i'll post what they tell me.
LONGDUCKDONG!!!!!!!! Um........ LMAO!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 6:21 AM

Here' the Texas locations page from BJ's website. Even though it isn't listed, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Domain location added to this list.

http://www.bjsrestaurants.com/locations.aspx?qst=tx

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 2:13 PM

Yeah I just saw on urbanaustin.org a while back they were going to open those restaurants up there.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 4:30 PM

yeah, i did change my last name (obviously)--they don't need to know my real name...

anyone know what happened to urbanaustin.org? it hasn't been working in months. i liked that website.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:45 PM
Austinite

Photos taken yesterday (7/14)

Aloft Hotel (Next to Neiman Marcus)

Looking south on Domain Drive

Westin Hotel, at intersection of Domain Drive and Esperanza Crossing (across from Macy's)

Two-story Dick's Sporting Goods store (shares same parking lot as Macy's)

This is the next retail phase under construction, anchored by a 3-story Dillard's, Dick's Sporting Goods and a Village Roadshow theater (pictured in the background). From what I hear, it is a very high-end theater.

Oops...

The three-story Dillard's, in its awkward stages of growth

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:22 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

They should keep the Dillards that crazy color green, I think it would be cool.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
They should keep the Dillards that crazy color green, I think it would be cool.
It might help! I look at the silhouette of the building and think of 80's mall. Hum, we'll see.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 11:46 PM

Anyone heard anything about when their going to start on the Nordstroms/Saks phase?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 1:28 AM

Nope, I haven't heard anything about our project that was dependent on that project going through (a relocation of a tenant in the immediate area). Our part would have to have been started by now to get them in by the end of next year.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:39 AM

I work at Macy's at the Domain. Looks like Mopacs beat me to posting some pictures. I'll still get around to taking some.

What we have been told is that Nordstrom's, Saks, and Whole Foods are all delayed until 2012. However, there is currently excavation going on around the area that is plotted for those stores and a sign that says "future home" of Whole Foods, so maybe they've already started or else started and paused. Phase II with Dillard's, Roadshow Theatre, etc., will open in February. Parts of it look nearly finished. I think the housing especially looks great.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 2:15 PM

Guess no word on the Twelve Domain hotel then

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 3:46 PM

The Whole Foods sign has been up since the announcement of the Gateway store moving to The Domain early last year, their lot has been used as a staging area for the Aloft hotel construction. Much of that excavation was started last summer and they have been working on it some, just not at the pace they were back then. I am guessing that aspect of the construction was already financed when they started so they have continued working on it.

Aloft and Westin are the only ones going up for the time being, as posted above, the "one year delay" that we were told about last November has probably been stretched into a few years.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 6:33 PM

went up to the Domain last weekend. I am still baffled by the sprawl mentality of the whole development. The new area with Dillards is totally disconnected from the original shopping area by the "BIG BOX" sporting goods store and a hugh parking lot. I really can't imagine people not seeing all these as separate shopping malls.(..not unlike suburban strip malls) and driving from one to the other. They really need their own mass transit system.

Breathesgelatin, have you heard of any plans to tie the whole area together somehow? Carts? trams? shuttles? Monorail!???!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
went up to the Domain last weekend. I am still baffled by the sprawl mentality of the whole development. The new area with Dillards is totally disconnected from the original shopping area by the "BIG BOX" sporting goods store and a hugh parking lot. I really can't imagine people not seeing all these as separate shopping malls.(..not unlike suburban strip malls) and driving from one to the other. They really need their own mass transit system.

Breathesgelatin, have you heard of any plans to tie the whole area together somehow? Carts? trams? shuttles? Monorail!???!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't be surprised to see a trolley like shuttle pop up when the development is nearing completion.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 2:45 AM

It provides separation from the current "high-end" section and the new "commoners" section...after all, there is supposed to be a Payless Shoe store in there

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 2:48 AM

I have heard discussion ad infinitum, as you might imagine, regarding Dillard's and how it will affect Macy's, as they're our largest national competitor. There's a lot of excitement, though, that they will draw in more customers. I have personally wondered, though, how easy it will be to walk between the two complexes. I personally find the first phase with Macy's and Neiman's extremely pleasant and walkable. The second phase looks nice, particularly as regards the housing (not as impressed with the Dillards and Dick's Sporting Goods designs), but perhaps not as walkable and indeed lacking in connectivity to the first phase. Agree that it's disjointed and not truly "New Urbanist." The south parking lot at Macy's is too big.

I think most of my fellow employees recognize this point tacitly because we are all convinced the Westin is going to draw in a TON of business for us because it's so much closer than Dillard's is.

What I still can't figure out is what is going to be going in between the Borders and the Westin (the one at the Southwest corner of Domain Drive and Esperanza Crossing). I know it's supposed to be some kind of entertainment according to the Domain map key. I'm also curious which building footprint on the map is supposed to be 12 Domain, if any.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 2:45 PM
Austinite

The south Macy's parking lot very much resembles that of a typical mall...agreed. Especially now with Dick's outward entrance facing the same lot.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
The south Macy's parking lot very much resembles that of a typical mall...agreed. Especially now with Dick's outward entrance facing the same lot.
yep, I just had this "Whaaaaaaayt? look on my face when I saw it. Crazy.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 11:57 PM

Is the Westin not going to have a parking garage? I would have thought it would have one attached to it or something

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 1:46 AM

Both hotels will probably be using a surface lot behind each. I know the garage behind the Aloft for Nordstrom's and Saks is what affected our project and will not be built until those move forward. I would think it may be a similar situation behind the Westin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin