HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Duke Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Charlotte Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 11:37 PM
Fourth and Main

I think I read in one of the recent Observer articles, the building will be lit with white lights and not the changing lights seen in testing. They may light it blue for Panther home games at night, but other than Panther's Blue, it will remain white. If true, this is disappointing. If this building used the lights to light the building like Mobile's, the Duke Energy Center would become a big attraction on the skyline. I think the Observer said the building is 768 feet and not the 764 feet listed here. I would like to change the number to the taller number, if I can confirm it. What is the final height and did it increase?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 12:31 PM
Oak City

Clip of the building's lights from around July 4th:
http://yfrog.com/0kboiz

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 1:14 PM

wow it reminds me of BofC tower in HK,this building would fit in with HK any day.its nice to see these kind of lighting effects come to the U.S.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 6:06 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Clip of the building's lights from around July 4th:
http://yfrog.com/0kboiz
The lighting on this building is awesome. I like how it changes colors instead of being static.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 12:48 AM

Wow. Incredible.

By far the boldest lighting scheme in the US currently. I'd go so far as to say it's more eye catching than the ones in Hong Kong.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 1:44 AM

Okay, now that was kick ass!! Love the lights!!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 1:53 AM
Chairman

Absolutley amazing. A couple of weeks ago I was trying to picture a highrise I designed with such lighting effects. IMO Duke Energy Center will serve as a great example of how exterior lighitng gives a highrise a different type of architectural look during the night hours.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 5:07 AM

Is the top bar solid concrete or can you walk through it for an observation deck?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 7:58 AM

could be a Portland with the lighting flair of Hong Kong on that one.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:50 PM

The building is actually 786' tall.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 8:20 PM

Hmm....

I like this tower but I think it could look more 21st century if the glass was a lighter tint and the 'arch' at the top was less bulky and more graceful... but thats just my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 4:25 AM

Karma's a B#tch. This reminds me how here in Atlanta lost it's big banks, like C&S, our BofA tower that's so tall here actually was designed and started as a C&S, and then the bank was bought but the tower was already half finished - there was talk though about how the CEO in Charlotte was trying to actually get floors shaved off the height of the Atlanta tower because he didn't want it to be taller than then one in Charlotte. But it was apparently too far along at the time. he did manage to ruin the top of it though. The plan was to have the top of the ATL BofA covered in a gold/bronze roof so it would have had this really bright metalic top that lit up at night. The new CEO had the top changed to the current "framework" design without all the metalic finishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
This building is amazing! Hopefully, they won't add anything (logos) to the handle. It looks great as-is.

Thank you for the skyline. Charlotte also has a building similar to the Chrysler Building (Hearst Tower).

Most of Charlotte's skyline was built by two banks. The largest employer of the two banks was one of the first victims of the recession and was bought for almost nothing by Wells Fargo. The building above was planned as their new headquarters, before they were forced by the government to sell last year. The last remaining bank, Bank of America, now has most of its revenue generated from New York City and some are concerned the headquarters may leave for New York City. The growth of Charlotte's skyline will slow down, now that Charlotte only has one bank headquarters and could slow dramatically, if Bank of America leaves. Charlotte skyline lovers are presently watching the new CEO search at Bank of America. I've seen reports the board wants the next CEO in Charlotte and other reports that say they are ready to move, if the next CEO wishes to.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Karma's a B#tch. This reminds me how here in Atlanta lost it's big banks, like C&S, our BofA tower that's so tall here actually was designed and started as a C&S, and then the bank was bought but the tower was already half finished - there was talk though about how the CEO in Charlotte was trying to actually get floors shaved off the height of the Atlanta tower because he didn't want it to be taller than then one in Charlotte. But it was apparently too far along at the time. he did manage to ruin the top of it though. The plan was to have the top of the ATL BofA covered in a gold/bronze roof so it would have had this really bright metalic top that lit up at night. The new CEO had the top changed to the current "framework" design without all the metalic finishing.
For the record, the federal government did not force wachovia to sell itself. It did tell wachovia it would be seized as a failed bank, since it was hours away from insolvency.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 12:27 PM

Wow! It looks huge from there. Charlotte looks sort of like a modernized New York City with the BOA playing the role of Empire State Building. I wonder if the city can keep this up.
What? No, just no.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive