HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 4:26 AM

Songkran Thai New Year Festival 2019, Thai Town, Los Angeles

I thought I'd post these pics just for shits and giggles.

I went to the Songkran Thai New Year Festival in Thai Town, Los Angeles, on Sunday 4.28.2019. LA's Thai Town is the only such designation in the whole United States. The Los Angeles area contains the largest concentration of Thai people outside of Thailand.

Thai actor/movie star Denkhun Ngamnet.

These were 2 drag queens. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. I must've seen at least 15 drag queens at this festival. I think I've seen more drag queens than at past LA Songkran festivals I've been to.

The person in the middle is a drag queen. He danced better/had the best rhythm than the other girls.

Miss Thai New Year USA 2019 beauty pageant.

My partner and I ate here later. The food is authentic and really good. It's open 24 hours.

They even have 24-hour delivery.

Thai movie star Denkhun Ngamnet also sang on stage. He's not a very good singer. He sang in Thai. For my partner and me, though, he was easy on the eyes... although he looked a little too made up.

There are 2 of these on the eastern end of Thai Town, one on either side of Hollywood Boulevard. They are Kinnara lamp posts, given as a gift from the Thai government. In Hindu mythology, a kinnara is a paradigmatic lover, a celestial musician, half-human and half-horse (India). In Southeast Asia, two of the most beloved mythological characters are the benevolent half-human, half-bird creatures known as the Kinnara and Kinnari, which are believed to come from the Himalayas and often watch over the well-being of humans in times of trouble or danger.

Pouring water on the Buddha, at different stages of his life.

There are 2 of these sculptures on the western end of Thai Town, one on either side of Hollywood Boulevard. It's an Apsonsi, or Thai Angel, which is fitting, being that Los Angeles is the City of Angels. Incidentally, Bangkok's name in Thai is Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, which means City of Angels.

Theravada Buddhist monks.

Multicultural Los Angeles. Right next to Thai Town is Little Armenia. In this picture you see Spanish and Armenian writing right next to each other.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I hope you avoided this food truck! Thank you for the insight into the community.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
I hope you avoided this food truck! Thank you for the insight into the community.
I did avoid it! Actually, I don't really eat at food trucks... very rarely. I don't even remember the last time I bought food from a food truck. There's an ice cream truck that shows up at my town's farmers market that I will buy from occasionally, though.

The Los Angeles area has so many ethnic festivals, being that the area is so diverse... yet it seems like no one really talks about them. And some of them are really huge!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 10:17 PM
Me?!?

Nice!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 12:48 AM

Nice pictures! I like seeing ethnic festivals and the ethnic neighborhoods they take place in.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 5:55 PM

Nice pictures! I like seeing ethnic festivals and the ethnic neighborhoods they take place in.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos