HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I honestly don't think it's that much of a loss to the area, aside from yes seeing a longtime business go. There were never many employees coming in or out, it added nothing to the redeveloping area around it, and it will add so much more now (and more taxes) being redeveloped.

Also, due to the way it was designed and being grandfathered, it kept the city from upgrading sidewalks and the street on Alexander due to loading requirements. Not sure how many there still are due to the Eaton's warehouse, but the city should be able to at least do significant upgrades on the south side of Alexander now. Patent 5 and Nonsuch are ecstatic.
Would love to see a sidewalk / landscape upgrade on Alexander but am not holding my breath. There is still truck loading from the Eaton warehouse and the upper floors where Patent 5 and Nonsuch are. Narrowing the street may have an impact on the loading / shipping of these buildings. Perhaps if they buried the hydro wires and added 3 feet for tree vaults it would be an improvement. There will be a lot of foot traffic with 200 units and very very little parking...

We are placing Sensors to measure movement in the Pacific / Alexander buildings. Their plan is to drive piles. If this proves problematic I guess they will have to drill Caissons. The Shoal lake Aqueduct is buried on Pacific and water works is quite concerned about vibration and damage. I’m hopeful all will go well!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 5:12 PM

The Shoal Lake Aqueduct ends at Deacon Reservoir east of the City. I'm arguing semantics because yes it was the original aqueduct.

But yes there would be an aqueduct leading from the booster pump station in St. B to the Reservoir on McPhillips.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Shoal Lake Aqueduct ends at Deacon Reservoir east of the City. I'm arguing semantics because yes it was the original aqueduct.

But yes there would be an aqueduct leading from the booster pump station in St. B to the Reservoir on McPhillips.
I think your referring to the beautiful brick surge tank on the East side of the Red River. I don’t believe it “boosts” anything...

In any case, water has been flowing through the pipe on Pacific since March 29th 1919. They are being cautious.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I think your referring to the beautiful brick surge tank on the East side of the Red River. I don’t believe it “boosts” anything...

In any case, water has been flowing through the pipe on Pacific since March 29th 1919. They are being cautious.
The Tache Booster Pump Station is to the north of the surge tower on the same lot. As far as I understand it has not been used within memory. I think it's there in case there are problems with the river siphon. The feedermain runs from the George MacLean Pumping Station on Lag at Marion.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Would love to see a sidewalk / landscape upgrade on Alexander but am not holding my breath. There is still truck loading from the Eaton warehouse and the upper floors where Patent 5 and Nonsuch are. Narrowing the street may have an impact on the loading / shipping of these buildings. Perhaps if they buried the hydro wires and added 3 feet for tree vaults it would be an improvement. There will be a lot of foot traffic with 200 units and very very little parking...
There isn't any heavy loading requirements beyond normal use for the building Patent 5 and Nonsuch are in anymore. The upper floor is mostly empty and storage now, and the government appliance depot has moved out – Nonsuch took over this space for expanded production. From what I understand yes the Eaton building still has lots of loading requirements, but a proper sidewalk will be built on the south side now. It's already there in pieces, and will only require 2 cuts for the remaining loading bays now.

Yes it would be great to put the hydro lines underground and add trees on that side. Long term, it'd be amazing for someone to redevelop the Eaton warehouse for mixed use, it has so much potential. When that happens make the south side angled parking. Imagine all those ground level garage doors being businesses that could open up to continuous outdoor patios. Alexander has a shit load of potential, especially since it will never be a busy street like McDermot or Bannatyne.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
There isn't any heavy loading requirements beyond normal use for the building Patent 5 and Nonsuch are in anymore. The upper floor is mostly empty and storage now, and the government appliance depot has moved out – Nonsuch took over this space for expanded production. From what I understand yes the Eaton building still has lots of loading requirements, but a proper sidewalk will be built on the south side now. It's already there in pieces, and will only require 2 cuts for the remaining loading bays now.

Yes it would be great to put the hydro lines underground and add trees on that side. Long term, it'd be amazing for someone to redevelop the Eaton warehouse for mixed use, it has so much potential. When that happens make the south side angled parking. Imagine all those ground level garage doors being businesses that could open up to continuous outdoor patios. Alexander has a shit load of potential, especially since it will never be a busy street like McDermot or Bannatyne.
The space above Parent 5 and the expanded Nonsuch space is actually all full and does require loading as an elevator opens onto the street. With that said, we would encourage and support enhanced street improvements. To date no one from the City or CV has approached us on this matter so we can only assume nothing is in the works. We unilaterally enhanced the Pacific sidewalks with paving stones but are reluctant to do the same on Alexander.

Nothing will happen in the Eaton / Nutty Club bldg as it’s a full and vibrant business employing many.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 9:58 AM

Quote:

Nothing will happen in the Eaton / Nutty Club bldg as it’s a full and vibrant business employing many.
That's what they said about GWM...😆 The Eatons building will be redeveloped VERY soon!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
That's what they said about GWM...😆 The Eatons building will be redeveloped VERY soon!
The owners of GWM were basically bankrupt and manufacturing wagon wheels.

Scott Bathgate is a very large solid company with absolutely no financial pressure to do anything. I love the fact candy is manufactured there and real people doing real work are employed there.

Enough of these kids in the area wearing black shivering on the street without mitts and hats!

Lol

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 3:06 PM

Denatured perfume lab is opening in the new year at 73 Princess, the former Jose & Markham space. It looks awesome. Owner is the (ex) co-founder of Coal + Canary, one of if not the only certified perfumist in Winnipeg – and there's not too many in Canada.

--

Also I saw on my LinkedIn the people behind Warehouse 1885 and Pantages have bought the Birt Saddlery building and will be repurposing it into what sounds like a multi-tenant retail building. Looks like they'll replace the front facade and reopen all the old windows and doors. Awesome.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/cliff...909013504-4USf

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 3:10 PM

^ Long overdue for an eyesore of a building. I'd personally prefer to see it get replaced altogether but this is an OK consolation prize.

The perfume lab thing sounds interesting and a bit different for Winnipeg...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Long overdue for an eyesore of a building. I'd personally prefer to see it get replaced altogether but this is an OK consolation prize.

The perfume lab thing sounds interesting and a bit different for Winnipeg...
Yeah, it will be a public-access perfume lab, he's launching his own fragrance and product lines, and a small retail shop as well.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Denatured perfume lab is opening in the new year at 73 Princess, the former Jose & Markham space. It looks awesome. Owner is the (ex) co-founder of Coal + Canary, one of if not the only certified perfumist in Winnipeg – and there's not too many in Canada.

--

Also I saw on my LinkedIn the people behind Warehouse 1885 and Pantages have bought the Birt Saddlery building and will be repurposing it into what sounds like a multi-tenant retail building. Looks like they'll replace the front facade and reopen all the old windows and doors. Awesome.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/cliff...909013504-4USf
Great news..

Please ... Just don’t paint it Black!!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:11 AM
surely you agree with me

Enough with the black.

I hope they put the half horses back on the facade!

Great news. 1AJS I know you must have an image of that wacky proposal for there from 15 years ago.

Last edited by trueviking; Dec 10, 2020 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Enough with the black.

I hope they put the half horses back on the facade!

Great news. 1AJS I know you must have an image of that wacky proposal for there from 15 years ago.
Just spoke with Susan. She says the horses are still in her garage!

Last edited by Labroco; Dec 10, 2020 at 4:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 4:47 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
1AJS I know you must have an image of that wacky proposal for there from 15 years ago.
He does, posted it back in February:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
I had just started working downtown at the time and really wanted to get a unit there because of the location.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 1:20 PM

^ At the time I remember being impressed by that rendering... it came at a time when there was still very little residential development happening downtown. It was during that lull between the huge apartment blocks of the late 80s (Place Promenade, Fort Garry Place) and the current upswing in apartment/condo development.

But yeah, looking at it now, it almost looks like something out of Minecraft?!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Here is the other view rendering - Saddlery Lofts.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:39 PM

I don't mind it actually. The Bannatyne side is probably the better half.

Get rid of the awning. The round toppy bit is kind of cool. If there was a 2020 render, I bet it's look sharp. The faux parts are kind of corny I guess. If it was done in brick finish I still think it's be nice addition to that corner.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 3:33 AM

A new business called "Smokin' Aces" is opening in the Footw3rk space. Not sure what it is but judging by the name and logo I'm guessing another bar. Windows are covered and renovations happening.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 3:57 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
A new business called "Smokin' Aces" is opening in the Footw3rk space. Not sure what it is but judging by the name and logo I'm guessing another bar. Windows are covered and renovations happening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan