HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 7:34 AM

2007 Major Phoenix Projects

OK, since our Mountain West freinds in Salt Lake City and Denver have noted a few projects that look to break ground in 2007, here are a few hopefuls for Phoenix:

Copper Pointe, Tower One (with hopefully 2 more to follow) Supposed to break ground in Q2. There's a lot of apprehension about new condo towers, due to the market...this is a wait and see.

Cielo Condominiums and Lofts

Cityscape Mega mixed-use project: Two condo towers, two office towers, boutique hotel, grocery store, restaurants, retail and a completely revised Patriot's Square Park.

Next Phase of Portland Place

The 39-floor W Hotel (& condo's) will hopefully have its legal challenges resolved soon. The stature of a W Hotel and it's location right next to The US Airways Center would add much to the mix of the upcoming entertainment district.

The Downtown Phx campus of ASU should break ground on the first phase of student housing, which should include 12-15 story buildings. There are no renderings yet. There are several smaller, infill loft/condo projects in downtown as well that will hopefully get underway in 07.

2007 should see downtown Phoenix continue to be one big construction zone. The unvailing of several key elements is in 2008...The 31-story Sheraton convention hotel, 34-story 44 Monroe condo tower, and the light rail innauguration.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 11:02 AM
UrbanPHX

2007 is going to be a great year for Phoenix. There are a handful of other projects that could get underway in 07 but I won't hold my breath.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 11:19 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
I haven't heard anything about Copper Pointe in a long while, I hope it still happens. However, I don't with the design. I think perhaps builders would have a bit more luck selling 'luxury' condos in towers if the towers themselves were more striking and bold. As is, Copper Pointe is another boxy building...I wish they'd do something to make the roof line more interesting (I do like that the building appears thin though).

Cielo seems like its full steam ahead and going to happen for sure, I've seen lots of billboards around town and they seem confident about the project. I'm bummed that they are doing it in two phases, which I think will ultimately only mean one tower, but 1>0.

Cityscapes obviously a sure thing, and I can't wait. I eagerly await some new renderings (the current crop are intentionally vague) of both the park and the towers. I don't recall, are they planning on doing Cityscape 1 tower at a time? Seems most likely, though my impatience hates that.

I still think w/ Sarver behind it, the W will happen somehow, someway in some form. I wish all parties involved would stop being so bullheaded and come to a compromise. If worst comes to worst, Sarver should either revert to the Bruder design, or find a new design that can appease the Sun Merc people.

'07 (February) will also mark my move to downtown, should be an exciting time....I'll get to watch the Portland Place phase 1 finish up, and Phase 2 begin from my window.

EDIT: Also, will CityScape be knocking over the building w/ the basketball mural thats across from the arena, or will the project just be adjacent to it? I kind of hope that building stays, just because I always have liked that silly mural.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:19 AM

Copper Pointe

Any News On This? I Hope They Start Soon...

And How Tall Is The First Tower?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:33 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Nice! Looking good Phoenix. I like that first Condo tower the best. Looks very very tall.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:41 AM

Copper Pointe

Just checkin in at half-time of the Fiesta Bowl. Great game, so far! Wish they had the roof open to get those great aerial shots into the stadium.

I received an e-mail response from Copper Pointe a while ago. They stated a plan to break ground mid-year 2007. They hyped the record of the Canadian developer and were a bit insulted that I was apprehensive in my e-mail to them. I thought that was a good sign. Some on the board will swear that another condo tower won't start in 2007...let's see.

To answer the height question, the initial plans called for three, 40-story towers. The web site states: "up to" 40 stories. The market, I'm sure will dictate.

Here is the link since it's been a while since it was posted:
http://www.copperpointeaz.com/index1.html

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 6:26 PM
-_-

Man, I really hope all these projects come to fruition. I, for one, really like the design of Copper Pointe. For comparison, I think it looks much better than Cielo, and while the top isn't particularly striking, it is much more artful than the completely flat top of Cielo.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 8:41 PM

nbrindley, I agree with you. The Copper Pointe rendering has some interesting curved details at the top. The central column also gradiates in color from gold to dark green, bottom to top. This was more apparent on a past rendering. If the tower(s) indeed end up at 40 floors, I think they will be a great addition to the DT Phoenix skyline.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest