HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 10:25 PM

Morgan Stanley had a fantastic 2020. I could see them anchoring one of the new Grand Central-area towers.

And they've been in the same HQ tower for 30+ years.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 10:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Morgan Stanley had a fantastic 2020. I could see them anchoring one of the new Grand Central-area towers.

And they've been in the same HQ tower for 30+ years.
They've also indicated that they're looking for a new HQ.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 3:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I would like to see them in Lower Manhattan though (Morgan Stanley).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 4:25 PM

Morgan Stanley has been in Times Square for decades. I'd expect that any new HQ tower would end up in Midtown. Probably Grand Central, Hudson Yards, or the Penn or Port Authority redevelopments.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 4:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
I'm thinking the entire top section/crown will be internally lit. It might look something like the top of Goldman Sachs as the shape is similar, but with lighting.

A single, robust centrally located spire could look nice too. Something that mimics the massing of the tower.
If this building doesn’t have a fantastically lit crown, it would be a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Morgan Stanley has been in Times Square for decades. I'd expect that any new HQ tower would end up in Midtown. Probably Grand Central, Hudson Yards, or the Penn or Port Authority redevelopments.
They’ve already been talking to potential tenants, but a good way to measure potential tenants is to see who has lease expirations coming up in a few years. I already consider the Grand Hyatt a tenant, they’ll take near 20% of the building.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

I'm hoping we also find out about 270 Park in the weeks coming. I've been hearing of a height figure floating around of 1425' for 270 Park. I hope its actually true. While 1,388' is impressive, if the additional height is valid, it would bump it up in the rankings. Top 4 essentially, or top 5 once Grand Hyatt is reality.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

I'm hoping we also find out about 270 Park in the weeks coming. I've been hearing of a height figure floating around of 1425' for 270 Park. I hope its actually true. While 1,388' is impressive, if the additional height is valid, it would bump it up in the rankings. Top 4 essentially, or top 5 once Grand Hyatt is reality.

They’ve been waiting on approval of the POPS at 270 before issuing the full building permit. They were scheduled to get that today. How long it takes for that to trickle down to the DOB I don’t know. But when it does, we’ll finally get a zoning diagram with numbers. Or maybe Chase will be nice enough to just publish the details of that tower.

Meanwhile, the CB meetings are all virtual, so hopefully this storm doesn’t cancel tomorrow’s meeting, where we should get a view of the Hyatt proposal. 270 is rising already, yet we could get a rendering here first.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 1:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Today is the day!

The groundhog, after smoking a pound of good bud and coming out of his 4 month acid trip, has finally come out of his rabbit hole, and has stated: "6 weeks of celebration as Grand Hyatt will impress all!".

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Grand Central’s Grand Hyatt Replacement: A First Look at the 1,600-Foot Tower

Quote:
RXR Realty and TF Cornerstone are planning to replace the Grand Hyatt Hotel by Grand Central Terminal with a dramatic 1,600-foot office-and-hotel tower known as 175 Park Avenue. Commercial Observer has the first look at the project, which includes new public space and significant renovations to the Grand Central subway station.

Former President Donald Trump, working on his first major development project, reclad the historic Commodore Hotel with a dark glass facade and reopened it as the Grand Hyatt in 1980. He received a controversial 40-year tax break that cost the city an estimated $410 million and expired last year.

Now RXR and TF Cornerstone plan to tear down the Grand Hyatt, along with the shell of the old Commodore underneath, over the course of 18 months. The old 26-story hotel will be painstakingly demolished down to the ground floor in an effort to prevent major disruptions to the subway station in the building’s basement.

As part of the project, the developers plan to remove several large structural columns that block access to stairways in the Grand Central Terminal subway station. The new structural columns will be constructed at the edges of the development site, outside the station.

The ground floor of the new 83-story, 2.2-million-square-foot tower will hold a new public train hall that adds street entrances to the station, which serves the 4, 5, 6 and 7 lines. The subway turnstiles will also be relocated from the station’s mezzanine—which is frequently jammed with commuters during rush hour—up to the train hall at street level, in order to create more space in the mezzanine floor.

The project will also add a 12,000-square-foot underground passageway that links the Long Island Rail Road tracks in the under-construction East Side Access Terminal below One Vanderbilt to the lower-level Metro North platforms and the subway station mezzanine. The new corridor will allow Metro North and LIRR commuters direct access to the subway platforms, rather than forcing travelers to go through Grand Central’s crowded main concourse and then back down into the subway.

The hall will add 5,400 square feet of new space to 42nd Street Passage next to the existing Grand Hyatt, doubling its capacity and including new signage, train arrival boards and ticket machines. Its design will resemble the attractive tan Tennessee marble interiors of Grand Central, with the addition of glass skylights that bring in sunlight and offer views of the historic train station’s eastern facade. Skidmore, Owings & Merrill is designing both the tower and the train hall, with help from Beyer Blinder Belle.

“You’re never going to know you’re in our building,” said Jon McMillan of TF Cornerstone. “The train hall will be built in a more contemporary style but in the same materials and vernacular as the terminal.”

The skyscraper will be constructed atop the train hall, which will abut the Park Avenue Viaduct. The structure of the building will be pulled back from the edge of the train hall, creating a 22,000-square-foot public outdoor space that wraps around the building. The public areas will be landscaped with flowers and a reflecting pool, and include seating, two cafes, outdoor art, and two new ADA-compliant elevators that allow access to the street and the subway station.

The outdoor space will also connect directly to the car-accessible viaduct, which will allow taxis to drop off office workers and commuters, who can go directly down to the train station.

Thick sets of structural steel columns, wrapped in patterned metal, will gather on top of a pair of staircases that allow pedestrians to access the public space and the building from street level. The cable-like steel columns will continue up the entire building, and coalesce in a lattice shaped crown on the 86th floor. Beneath the columns, the building will be wrapped in a transparent glass facade that allows people at street level to catch glimpses of a side of Grand Central that the Grand Hyatt has obscured for decades.

The building’s shape will be set back in four places, mimicking the design of classic Art Deco towers like the Chrysler Building across the street.

“One thing buildings in New York are known for is these setbacks or wedding cakes,” said SOM’s T.J. Gottesdeiner, who is leading the design of the new tower. “It repeats the nomenclature of classic New York buildings.” He noted that the gathered columns at the base and the lattice crown are a “heroic expression that the building will be known for.” Keeping the columns on the building’s exterior also allows the developers to offer column-free office space.

Overall, the new tower will hold 2.1 million square feet of office space; a 453,000-square-foot, 500-key hotel on the top floors; and 10,000 square feet of retail that includes the replacement of some stores in the 42nd Street Passage.

The development is possible thanks to a cobbling together of air rights from different sources, including 620,000 square feet of transferable development rights from Grand Central and 770,000 square feet of bonus floor area generated by the city in exchange for the planned transit improvements. The existing 60,000-square-foot lot is zoned for 860,000 square feet of development.

The project is expected to enter public review this spring, with the aim of finishing the Uniform Land Use Review Process (ULURP) by the end of the year. Demolition is expected to begin in 2022, and construction scheduled to wrap in 2030.
===============
https://commercialobserver.com/2021/...-tower/#slide2

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

Okay.... oh man....okay....I....I.....oh man....okay

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Beautiful! Beautiful! The new Chrysler!!!

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This should be the SSP diagram. Made it easy.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm trying not to say the word masterpiece...but..................masterpiece.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:06 PM

Might be even more beautiful than Tower Verre and 111 W57th?

Never thought I would say that, but it's looking very likely

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:17 PM
New Yorker for life

^ There are no height limits here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm trying not to say the word masterpiece...but..................masterpiece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
Might be even more beautiful than Tower Verre and 111 W57th?

Never thought I would say that, but it's looking very likely

It's another one of those designs that looks like it should have been built decades ago, a tower that always belonged in the city.

Quote:
The cable-like steel columns will continue up the entire building, and coalesce in a lattice shaped crown on the 86th floor. Beneath the columns, the building will be wrapped in a transparent glass facade that allows people at street level to catch glimpses of a side of Grand Central that the Grand Hyatt has obscured for decades.

The building’s shape will be set back in four places, mimicking the design of classic Art Deco towers like the Chrysler Building across the street.

“One thing buildings in New York are known for is these setbacks or wedding cakes,” said SOM’s T.J. Gottesdeiner, who is leading the design of the new tower. “It repeats the nomenclature of classic New York buildings.” He noted that the gathered columns at the base and the lattice crown are a “heroic expression that the building will be known for.” Keeping the columns on the building’s exterior also allows the developers to offer column-free office space.

I also like the public space planned. I feel it could be one of the great public spaces of the city, like Rockefeller Plaza.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:27 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
AGE OF RAMSES

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:27 PM

needs a better way to terminate that lattice crown. The polygonal shapes created in the facade are obviously an attempt to emulate the look of the Chrysler Building's art deco crown with its iconic triangular windows that are framed by the same tapering form, only Chrysler rightly terminates with a spire. This design gets a flat parapet. Unfortunate. Other than that i'm looking forward to some renderings.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:33 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
needs a better way to terminate that lattice crown. The polygonal shapes created in the facade are obviously an attempt to emulate the look of the Chrysler Building's art deco crown with its iconic triangular windows that are framed by the same tapering form, only Chrysler rightly terminates with a spire. This design gets a flat parapet. Unfortunate. Other than that i'm looking forward to some renderings.

Yeah i think perhaps they are timid about exceeding 1wtc's height.. either for monetary or political reasons. If this one were to continue on up to a proportional spire without sacrificing its current height or its wide floorplates, it would reach just shy of 600m

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals