HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:22 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If 2 WTC were in Midtown, it would've been built already. That's the only reason it hasn't been built. Downtown will always lag behind midtown in terms of new office space being built and absorbed. The Hudson Yards is well on it's way to being built out for office space, and the coming towers of midtown east aren't even in demolishment phase yet, with only one really big one (Grand Hyatt) offering large spaces. Even the Empire Station towers are some time away. Tower 2 at the WTC has a chance to slip in there somewhere. As each of these towers get taken out of play, the prospects get brighter for 2 WTC.
Yep^ Patience, patience, patience.

I, for one, am just grateful that theres still –technically– a chance we might possibly maybe potentially get Foster's design there. I dont care how long I have to wait

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 2:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
There will be another meeting on Dec 10th.

https://www.cb5.org/cb5m/calendar/2020-december/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
What will happen after a meet ?? Do you have a guess ?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:28 PM
New Yorker for life

This meeting will be for the committee (land use) to discuss with the full board what they learned at the last presentation. The developers next public meeting will be the scoping meeting on Dec 21. This is all to discuss what will and should be included in the environmental review. Once that is finished, we'll move on with the approvals process.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
What will happen after a meet ?? Do you have a guess ?
Happy Hour at Flash Dancers.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Happy Hour at Flash Dancers.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:30 PM

I love the massing on this, but the top of it is just begging for a crown to take it to 2,000 feet.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 1:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Listened to the CB meeting. Nothing new, but they did go over the issues discussed at the previous meeting. The main concern, as expected, was about the public space, which in this case is being built per zoning.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
I love the massing on this, but the top of it is just begging for a crown to take it to 2,000 feet.
Don't be so demanding, it only needs to reach 1968.50394 ft to become megatall!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Listened to the CB meeting. Nothing new, but they did go over the issues discussed at the previous meeting. The main concern, as expected, was about the public space, which in this case is being built per zoning.
I tuned in too. The one guy brought up how he thought the project was ridiculously big and hopes gets down sized in the coming years. Unfortunately I could see a number of people shaking their heads in agreement.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:12 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
I tuned in too. The one guy brought up how he thought the project was ridiculously big and hopes gets down sized in the coming years. Unfortunately I could see a number of people shaking their heads in agreement.
There will always be some haters, the problem arises when they have a say in the approval process.

This thing is ridiculously big and the massing looks kinda weird tbh, I kinda wish the base were smaller and it tapered less.

Still cool though, hope it goes through.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hyatt is in a prime location, a competitive spot that can really shine on the competitive global stage for a tower that has an impact via its tenants and their operations on the local economy.

Given its location, it will be a nice tower. A lot at stake. I'm sure they will not F it up, and at that height, it has to be good for it to it to stand out.

Being unique is a exclusivity factor.

I mean if there is ever a time for design scrutiny, it could be understood for a tower that will be the tallest to the roof in theory, and either 1st or 2nd tallest in NYC depending on which metric one uses... but a downgrade in height or even capacity/square footage is not a proactive measure. A design tweak... that's a little better.

Or hell, offer some more density benefits if they want the developer to help the community or improve the surrounding blocks.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
That's the same guy from the last meeting that said the building should be 800 ft, like the Met Life building. Unfortunately for them, height isn't on the table. In either case, they only have an advisory role to play anyway. Like 270 Park, this is largely a formality, only there's no issue with the amount of public space, which will be in abundance of what is required. But other than that, the issues are pretty standard, and I don't see anything they asked for that isn't already addressed in the draft EAS.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 2:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Here are the two community board 5 meetings again (Dec 2) and (Dec 10) to discuss the draft scope of work, basically going over what should be included in the environmental review (things such as shadows, traffic, construction, etc).

Video Link

The meeting from last night...

Video Link

The developers return at the scoping meeting on December 21.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 3:29 PM

Mister 800 feet probably works in the Chrysler building LMAO

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 8:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Mister 800 feet probably works in the Chrysler building LMAO
He's shocked, shocked! that such a tall building could be built in midtown. Of all the neighborhoods in New York City. Next to a rail terminal, no less.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 5:39 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
He's shocked, shocked! that such a tall building could be built in midtown. Of all the neighborhoods in New York City. Next to a rail terminal, no less.
Maybe he suffered from a state of lilliputian hallucinations between the periods of 2012 to 2020, so everything appeared smaller than it really is, but than he snapped out of it this month, and realized that many super talls exist.

Either way, glad the fella is back to his correct mental state and accepting reality for what it really is. A super tall reality, even to his own emotional detriment. Is what it is.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 2:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Maybe he suffered from a state of lilliputian hallucinations between the periods of 2012 to 2020, so everything appeared smaller than it really is, but than he snapped out of it this month, and realized that many super talls exist.

Either way, glad the fella is back to his correct mental state and accepting reality for what it really is. A super tall reality, even to his own emotional detriment. Is what it is.

Seems like he's the guy that goes off about something every meeting. I'm sure they're used to him. He's trying to drum up outrage over what he calls an "outrageous" project. For everyone else it seems business as usual. They're not as shocked that a building "taller than the Empire State Building" could be proposed in midtown, probably because they've been living in current reality, and not the 1930's that this guy seems to be stuck in.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 8:57 AM

Just think how many more art deco supertalls we'd have in the 1930s if the crash of 29 hadn't happened. Might have avoided another European war as well. I think I've said it before but it's always good to visualise.

Is there a complete or near complete list of cancelled projects from that time?

Back on topic, this building absolutely dwarfs One WTC in the diagrams.

Good.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 2:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

I try not to think about that. We'd be living in a much different reality...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals