HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Who ever thought that playing basketball in a baseball stadium was a good idea?

Why didn't they play out of Maple Leaf Gardens pre-ACC?
They played the occasional game at MLG but it was rare. I don't recall why but I'd suggest that if you have the choice between your own facility (Skydome) or sharing one with a hockey team, you might choose the former. That and you can draw crowds of 20,000 or even 30,000+ when the demand arises.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
They played the occasional game at MLG but it was rare. I don't recall why but I'd suggest that if you have the choice between your own facility (Skydome) or sharing one with a hockey team, you might choose the former. That and you can draw crowds of 20,000 or even 30,000+ when the demand arises.
I don't remember exactly why, but I recall that there was some bad blood between Raptors ownership and MLG, to the point that both were working on neighbouring arena proposals right into the mid 90s. Then MLG effectively took over the Raptors, abandoned its own arena proposal, and turned the Raptors basketball arena project (ACC/Scotiabank) into a joint-use venue for the Leafs and Raptors.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't remember exactly why, but I recall that there was some bad blood between Raptors ownership and MLG, to the point that both were working on neighbouring arena proposals right into the mid 90s. Then MLG effectively took over the Raptors, abandoned its own arena proposal, and turned the Raptors basketball arena project (ACC/Scotiabank) into a joint-use venue for the Leafs and Raptors.
This is what I had heard as well. In the early days there was no love lost between the Leafs and Raptors organizations.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:15 PM

So the Raptors wanted their own venue, they purchased the land that is now home to the Scotia Bank Arena. The Leafs wanted to pair up with them but wanted a more prestigious location. Because at that point the Raptors didn't want to share space the Leafs made plans to build behind and above Union Station over the tracks. In 1998 the Leafs purchased the Raptors their venue and the plan was to build the single arena over the tracks for both teams. It turned out it would have been too difficult so the went ahead with the Air Canada Centre instead.

source: http://www.blogto.com

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Actually, you're right about that. So while it's impressive, it's not a definitive statement of how Kawhi ranks among those other greats.
Sorry to rain on the parade. Leonard is still a fantastic player. (Even I can tell that.)

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, tickets for game one are insanely overpriced on the resale market I hear.

Up to $60,000 for a courtside seat (reported on The National)!!!

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

So, you going?

There is clearly a lot of pent up demand for championship series tickets in Toronto. This is the kind of thing that only happens once in a generation though, the mania probably wouldn't reach this level in future playoff runs.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:03 PM
ハルウララ

I don't view that as insanely overpriced. People are going to pay that amount if they want. It's all supply & demand my friend.

The Raptors don't dictate the resale market so it's impossible for them to be overpriced. Tickets are only overpriced if it's the initial cost the team is setting.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I don't view that as insanely overpriced. People are going to pay that amount if they want. It's all supply & demand my friend.

The Raptors don't dictate the resale market so it's impossible for them to be overpriced. Tickets are only overpriced if it's the initial cost the team is setting.
I would think that when a team is attaining new heights in the playoffs it tends to drive a lot of that demand... this is uncharted territory for the Raptors so people are excited and willing to pay. I don't think the numbers would get near as high if the Raptors went back to the finals in a year or two.

Let's also not overlook the fact that many ticket sellers are aiming extremely high figuring that they will either use the tickets and attend the game, or cash in big. If you have the scratch to buy floor seats, you aren't going to pass on the chance to attend one of the games for a 10% markup...

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 9:05 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I saw $83,000.

This is already being hyped as Canada vs. The USA, and as cool and historic it would be to see a Canadian team win the finals, the realist in me is predicting GSW in 5. That team is insane, so unless Toronto pulls some more Hollywood movie type shit (it already happened with the 76ers, so who knows), the GSW are going to devour the Raptors.

I hope I'm wrong, of course.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 9:26 PM

Yesterday I heard Durant, Iguadala and Cousins could be out for at least the first game of the finals...possibly more. IF that is the case, I do like the Raptors chances to at least make this a long series - 6 or 7 games.

Apparently, Kawhi's sister tweeted that he would be signing with another team this off-season (Clippers I think?). Then the tweet was quickly removed. Originally I thought the Raps had a better then 50-50 chance of re-signing Kawhi as long as they were competitive in the East Finals at a bare minimum. If that was actually her that was tweeting, I think it is all but certain that he will be gone regardless of whether or not the Raps win a championship or not.

Hopefully, the Raps take advantage of this extremely short contender's window because once he leaves, they will likely be no better then a lower seeded playoff team for the forseeable future.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 10:45 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Anything for sale can be overpriced. It doesn't matter whether It's the Raptors or season ticket holders (?) looking for a winfall. The tickets won't be wasted even if they are overpriced and won't sell.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

Apparently, Kawhi's sister tweeted that he would be signing with another team this off-season (Clippers I think?). Then the tweet was quickly removed. Originally I thought the Raps had a better then 50-50 chance of re-signing Kawhi as long as they were competitive in the East Finals at a bare minimum. If that was actually her that was tweeting, I think it is all but certain that he will be gone regardless of whether or not the Raps win a championship or not.

Hopefully, the Raps take advantage of this extremely short contender's window because once he leaves, they will likely be no better then a lower seeded playoff team for the forseeable future.
Basically what I was saying before. The consensus now is basically that the Raps have made about as good a pitch to free agent Kawhi as they could. If he leaves it's for reasons out of their control and that's fine, they took the gamble and it's obviously paid off already.

The team went 13-3 without Kawhi this season though. The structure would likely look similar next year with Gasol pretty much guaranteed to take his option and hopefully one more productive year out of Lowry and Ibaka. They probably sign Green too if his ask isn't too outrageous. He's already publicly expressed that he's completely bought-in to the organization and wants to be back. That team could reasonably fight for 5th in the conference if the Knicks don't have a massive off-season and up getting Durant and/or Kyrie + Anthony Davis.

At this point though all that matters is capitalizing on this chance in game 1. The crowd better be insane even with an average ticket price of $5,000.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 11:59 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
This is already being hyped as Canada vs. The USA...
Ugh. Really? Where?

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Ugh. Really? Where?
Ya I only see it from select people on this side of the border creating an adversarial position that doesn't actually exist. Most Americans don't give a fuck and want to see anyone other than Golden State finally win.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:21 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Ugh. Really? Where?
This massive NBA thread on another forum. They can't wait to see the Raptors get raped, and see Canadian tears. These are bitter Bucks and 76ers fan, of course.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:39 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
This massive NBA thread on another forum. They can't wait to see the Raptors get raped, and see Canadian tears. These are bitter Bucks and 76ers fan, of course.
I guess sometimes things spiral out of control and people take things too far. I'm enjoying the camaraderie of Raptors fans and the way people around here are rallying around the team (a 26-year championship drought will do that), but there's a limit to how far I'll go.

I loathe flag-waving and nationalism more than almost anything else in the world, and it makes particularly no sense in the context of a major sports league like the NBA.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:47 AM
Registered Drug User

I'm in love with this guy.

Quote:
There's very little about Kawhi Leonard that screams "mindfulness guru," but as the Toronto Raptors gathered on the bench during a timeout in the midst of the team's big 26-3 run in the second half, he told his teammates, "Enjoy the moment, stay here, stay together, we're good," according to Raptors guard Norman Powell.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-finals-ticket
A class act. None of the hooting, hollering, complaining, posing or posturing that other players do. He's totally Zen in how he carries himself.

Regardless of what happens over the next two weeks, it's going to hurt if he leaves after all this.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 4:03 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Not sure how legit this is, but...

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 4:29 PM

While I was sure there would be more people rooting for the Raptors than GS, I thought it would be a 75/25 split - not as lopsided as this.

I think people are looking at Golden State in the same way they look at the Patriots (and really Boston teams in general now) - they're sick of them always winning. The Raptors are a fresh face in the finals - so they're better than the same 'ole, same 'ole. I think the US side would be similar if the Bucks made the finals - not sure about Canada though.

The NBA has a problem with teams dominating for long stretches. It gets really dull.
The 80's were dominated by the Lakers and Celtics, then in the 90's the title was won by the Pistons twice, Bulls 6 times and Rockets twice.

In the last 21 years since the Bulls ended their run, at least 1 out of these 5 teams have made the finals during that span: Spurs, Lakers, Warriors, Heat and Cavs. Those 5 teams have won it 17 out of the last 20 years, with the Warriors having a shot at making it 18 out of 21.

So, yea - I can see basketball fans without their teams in the finals root for anyone but the same old successful teams.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada