HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:57 AM

Thanks for the information esotouric. It sounds like the place has had a run of bad luck. -so sorry to hear that.

odinthor, have you ever heard of this place?

EBAY

"Old Vintage Box of Tropical Flowerland Color Slides Los Angeles CA" (the "Vuer" must be missing)

EBAY

I can't tell if this representative slide is an impressionistic rendering of an orchid or a blurry photograph of an actual orchid.

If anyone else has heard of this place let us know. (I said odinthor because he is nla's go to man for pretty much anything botanical)

FOR SEARCH PURPOSES
Tropical Flowerland Flower Vuer 100 S. Vermont Ave. Los Angeles 4, California

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 11, 2018 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 5:39 AM

Still beating this horse. :slams laptop shut...runs for cover:

If interested, also read "Pioneers testify in Reservoir Suit"
__

ANTONIO APACHE ?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 11, 2018 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Still beating this horse. :slams laptop shut...runs for cover:

If interested, also read "Pioneers testify in Reservoir Suit"
__

ANTONIO APACHE ?
I hate to risk being the straw that breaks the dead horse's back, but I happened across this just now so thought I'd share. Detail from this map.

[QUOTE=Flyingwedge;8212211] (At upper left, have we ever looked at Holgate Square?):

1921 Baist @ USCDL

BTW Fw Holgate square looks interesting! Neat stonework still standing.

Last edited by ScottyB; Jun 11, 2018 at 7:15 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
On a related note, I have a good friend who has lived in Kansas for some years. He has commented to me regarding how ludicrous the geography depicted in the TV show Gunsmoke is. He says (paraphrased), "They always show Marshal Dillon meandering through forested, rolling hills. . . Kansas is in the prairie! There are no hills! It's as flat as a billiard table out to the horizon!"

I have to admit, living here in a place where mountains are always on the horizon, that salient point never occurred to me.
On Gunsmoke you could tell what season it was when they were shooting by the blooming Yuccas and mustard on the hillsides (We are not in Kansas anymore!) and also whether it was windy and clear (fall in So Cal)
I would wager that there are not many, if any eucalyptus trees in Kansas either!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
riichkay, thanks for sharing those gorgeous 1940s slides. They're a great example of the long-term stability of Kodachrome vs. Ektachrome.

The ghost sign in Studio City you mentioned was worth investigating so I invited myself over for a look-see. I don't think it's supposed to be a stylized motion picture camera; it's just an art deco-ish design.

I wonder if Terman Realty was the original tenant of the building, or whether they came later and revised the sign for their purpose?

Martin Pal, I enjoyed your comments on film noir!
Even without the listings of previous tenants, Terman would have been a later tenant since the light socket holes in the sign are not in the right places for Terman. I can't figure out what the sign would have said, based on where the sockets are located. It was probably originally neon.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It looks like the new construction permit for 11948-11950 Ventura Boulevard was issued in 1937, although it's just given as a 2-story stores and office building owned by Ben Jacksen, so no clues to the stores inside. There's a BP for a roof sign in 1939, commissioned by Brooks Oxford Baths, but sadly there's no illustration accompanying it.

The 1939/40 San Fernando Valley CD has a masseur named Harold White at 11948 Ventura and a tailor named Herman Heinrich at 11950.

The buildings looked quite different in July 2007 (below), and Ventura didn't even have a planted center divider. For several years after this, Pepe's NY Pizza (11946 Ventura) covered the roof sign with a rectangular advert, but the original sign is now visible again.

GSV

We originally saw some of Ed Alinder's Kodachrome images back in 2014. Here are the posts that my quick search found:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23131
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23135
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23140
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23144
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23149
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23151
Harold De Wilton Brooks was operating Brooks Oxford Baths at 220 S. La Cienega, LA in 1939. Maybe he made a deal with the masseur in 1939 for a business on Ventura as a "branch" of the baths??

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information esotouric. It sounds like the place has had a run of bad luck. -so sorry to hear that.

odinthor, have you ever heard of this place?

EBAY

"Old Vintage Box of Tropical Flowerland Color Slides Los Angeles CA" (the "Vuer" must be missing)

EBAY

I can't tell if this representative slide is an impressionistic rendering of an orchid or a blurry photograph of an actual orchid.

If anyone else has heard of this place let us know. (I said odinthor because he is nla's go to man for pretty much anything botanical)

FOR SEARCH PURPOSES
Tropical Flowerland Flower Vuer 100 S. Vermont Ave. Los Angeles 4, California
Thanks, e_r. Hmmmmmmmmmm . . . New to me. When I was a li'l horticulturist, I pretty much avoided the world of Orchids because . . . well, because it's a big and complex world all its own. As time has gone on, I've gotten a little toehold on it. The pic's subject looks like a classic Cattleya type orchid, probably a prize winner at an orchid show, the photo of it being of an image of it printed on linen or something of the sort, a print-world look which had its inexplicable and fortunately short-lived period of popularity in, what?, the 1940s and 1950s or something. I never quite got the aesthetic of that look. The owner of the place must have liked experimenting with the look and feel of paper (experimentation: all to the good, say I!); see the embossed pattern on the "Vuer" front page's sheet.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 5:07 PM

Thanks for the information odinthor. What is the sheet you speak of? I didn't see it.

The reason I brought this place up was because I thought it might have been a mini tourist attraction in the 1950s.

UPDATE:
The same item is also on etsy.

Here's the "Vuer" that's missing from the ebay item.

ETSY

and the copyright date of the slides is 1953.

ETSY

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 11, 2018 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information odinthor. What is the sheet you speak of? I didn't see it. [...]
That would be the first image in the original message, the one stating Tropical Flowerland/Flower "Vuer" etc. (I should have called it the Tropical Flowerland front page sheet.) I'm looking at the snaky corrugations in the paper...which actually is kind of cool.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

Occasionally you'll encounter an episode of "Murder She Wrote" that shows the sun setting behind the ocean. My New England-born wife always gets a kick out of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post

On a related note, I have a good friend who has lived in Kansas for some years. He has commented to me regarding how ludicrous the geography depicted in the TV show Gunsmoke is. He says (paraphrased), "They always show Marshal Dillon meandering through forested, rolling hills. . . Kansas is in the prairie! There are no hills! It's as flat as a billiard table out to the horizon!"

I have to admit, living here in a place where mountains are always on the horizon, that salient point never occurred to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post

On Gunsmoke you could tell what season it was when they were shooting by the blooming Yuccas and mustard on the hillsides (We are not in Kansas anymore!) and also whether it was windy and clear (fall in So Cal)
I would wager that there are not many, if any eucalyptus trees in Kansas either!
The picturesque Georgia pines disappeared from the Dukes of Hazzard after only five episodes. They were replaced by the bone-dry dusty trails of various movie ranches around Santa Clarita and Thousand Oaks. The series probably wouldn't have made it to seven seasons if they hadn't moved filming to California, but most fans have a soft spot for those early Georgia episodes.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information odinthor. What is the sheet you speak of? I didn't see it.

The reason I brought this place up was because I thought it might have been a mini tourist attraction in the 1950s.

UPDATE:
The same item is also on etsy.

Here's the "Vuer" that's missing from the ebay item.

ETSY

and the copyright date of the slides is 1953.

ETSY

__
I have one of those "vuer" things somewhere at home. I also have a slide projector for that size slides and bigger ones, but it needs a new lightbulb (alas!) My dad was a photographer and took about a million photos and slides.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
I hate to risk being the straw that breaks the dead horse's back, but I happened across this just now so thought I'd share.

This is a very interesting find ScottyB. My eye was drawn to the huge parcel, Ela Hills Stock Farm.

I found this advertisement in the Los Angeles Herald, April 6, 1890.

CDNC

At first I was a bit confused by the ad.
I was like...so Dashwood is going to live on the farm, what's the big deal? Are they going to charge admission to watch him eat grass?

Then it dawned on me. Dashboard was going to be a STUD. "make the season"

and Rysdyk's Hambletonian was his ancestor.

Art Institute of Chicago

Artist unknown
American
Rysdyk's Hambletonian, after 1876

*I meant Dashwood, not Dashboard. lol

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 11, 2018 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The picturesque Georgia pines disappeared from the Dukes of Hazzard after only five episodes. They were replaced by the bone-dry dusty trails of various movie ranches around Santa Clarita and Thousand Oaks. The series probably wouldn't have made it to seven seasons if they hadn't moved filming to California, but most fans have a soft spot for those early Georgia episodes.
One of the later seasons of Gunsmoke were filmed in Thousand Oaks(currently the Wildwood development), my dad took me out to see the sets when I was a young tot.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
One of the later seasons of Gunsmoke were filmed in Thousand Oaks(currently the Wildwood development), my dad took me out to see the sets when I was a young tot.
Yes, a lot of series wee filmed out there before it was developed! Combat, for another.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:28 PM

1964 Kodachrome Slide - Nicely Dress Woman - Buick - Park Wilshire Apartments - Los Angeles California

EBAY / no longer listed

__

I believe this might be the same woman. (same seller....found on the same day)

1950s Kodachrome - Lady Posed in Automobile - Palm Springs California

EBAY

This might be her as well (in the red)

1950s Kodachrome Slide - Ladies by the Beverly Hilton - Los Angeles California

EBAY

She looks like Ann Landers in this pic.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 11, 2018 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:38 PM

Well...the American Cement Building behind the Park Wilshire wasn't completed until 1961.... And the car looks like a '56 Buick.

And once on the site of the American Cement Building was the spectacular Martz house:

Its full history is here

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jun 11, 2018 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:51 PM

Thanks GW (I rechecked my notes. the first slide was dated 1964 not 1954. SORRY

1947 Kodachrome Slide - Bert Brown Tennis Player - The Town House - Lo Angeles Cal.

EBAY NO LONGER LISTED

Dayum Bert! You da man.

I thought this might have been mislabled. I wasn't sure the Town House had enough room for tennis courts.

I was wrong.

SO CAL TENNIS

I wonder if Bert was...oh...what's the word.....gigolo.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 11, 2018 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:56 PM

Tropical Flowerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Thanks, e_r. Hmmmmmmmmmm . . . New to me. When I was a li'l horticulturist, I pretty much avoided the world of Orchids because . . . well, because it's a big and complex world all its own. As time has gone on, I've gotten a little toehold on it.
You were probably right odinthor - too many thrills could skew the young impressionable mind of a li'l horticulturist.

"WORLD'S MOST THRILLING HOBBY"

1957 ad from the folks at Tropical Flowerland, 100 S. Vermont Ave. Los Angeles.

Google Books - Popular Mechanics Feb 1957

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Meeting a spaceman at Disneyland....it might even be more fun than Panning for Gold.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/

Bob Barger, Tomorrowland Spaceman, with Ron Hamblen, Bill Brakemeyer and Jim Ferguson, June 7, 1958

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:36 AM

Great photo, CityBoyDoug! I wonder if Disneyland still sells fun hats like those (not the mouse ears cap) with your name custom stitched on the front.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos