HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
The old Ace Automotive Warehouse on 700 South (across the street to the North of the Sears block) has construction fencing around it this morning. The guy on the site said the warehouse is being restored and included in the new design.
Anyone know anything?
I had a hard time placing it until I looked at the BSL article ChickenBurgers pointed to. Isaac Riddle reported on it almost two years ago. I remembered the name and the warehouse component.

The Charli - https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dev...al-boundaries/

Rendering of the east façade of the proposed Charli development as designed by Method Studio. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Rendering of the north façade of the proposed Charli development as designed by Method Studio. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I had a hard time placing it until I looked at the BSL article ChickenBurgers pointed to. Isaac Riddle reported on it almost two years ago. I remembered the name and the warehouse component.

The Charli - https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dev...al-boundaries/

Rendering of the east façade of the proposed Charli development as designed by Method Studio. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Rendering of the north façade of the proposed Charli development as designed by Method Studio. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.
Actually the Charlie which you have referenced is already framed and far along, the iris is referenced further down in the article and is where the ace warehouse was I’m pretty sure.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:47 PM

That's right. The Charli (the old Taffy town) is topping out right now. In the BSL article it says they were building it in two phases, with the conversion of the old warehouse being the second, but it appears they've gone ahead and done them both at the same time.

As for the Iris, that's definitely the site. I wonder if this rendering is still the case though. My short conversation with the man on location said the old Ace warehouse was going to be restored, and there's no mention of that in the article or indication of it in the image.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:49 PM

Thanks Berger4 for the heads up. I should have scrolled further down. ^^^Your're information is probably more current Scott since the article is about two years old. Someone needs to get a few photos of all this. I'm super curious about what the warehouse at the Iris site looks like.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
This was completed 2 years ago. I've taken a few classes in this building. It's a beautiful building both inside and out, but it's at the expense of the interior functionality. The layout is a mess and some of the classrooms don't have any outlets to plug laptops into - in a school building built in the year 2018.

I know that's outside the scope of this thread, but a good example of how not to prioritize form over function.
Oh hey, I teach in that building.

And it is beautiful, and does have great amenities, and does have some really messy things like rooms with no outlets and large rooms that bisect into smaller rooms (which is great) but then the controls for the projector, AV etc for Room B and C are on the wall of Room A. They're sorting some of that out. My classes this semester will all be online, so it's moot...but sometimes the newest shiniest still has some kinks to work out.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 3:17 PM

There was a discussion during the SLC Council work session regarding zoning heights, specifically the area direction East of the Central Station.

Video Link

The discussion starts about an hour 20 into the video.

There are also a few documents that are provided on this as well:

Staff Report: https://slc.primegov.com/Portal/viewer?id=15947&type=2

Administrative Transmittal: https://slc.primegov.com/Portal/viewer?id=15859&type=2

There are a few other documents that are linked to this under the Meeting Documents for the overall meeting.

I did notice that there were a few reasons given against raising the heights, as of right.

1: Historic Preservation, increased heights could lead to demolition of historic buildings to get a better use of the land.
2: Reduces/Removes incentives the city can offer to increase affordable housing.

I don't like the idea of Historic Preservation via limiting zoning height. It doesn't save the building, as someone could still demolish the building as long as it was within the height requirement.

I also don't think that any incentive is lost with increased zoned heights. Sure, developers could all build taller as of right, but the incentive would still be there to build taller with the inclusion of affordable units.

Next, I noticed that there is a conflicting set of issues that the City is starting to realize. For some reason, there are some in the City that are set on the pyramid shape with the CBD (D-1 zoning) being the tallest and then extending downward to the West.

At the same time that they reference the pyramid shape, there is also reference to diminishing space within the CBD area for taller buildings. They call out that the recent building boom has reduced and removed many of the remaining D-1 parcels. There are now very limited spaces available due to either planned projects or land banking.

Here is the conflict: The City has it codified that as the CBD/D-1 area fills out, the D-1 would eventually extend to the West over time.

So the City knows it is running out of space in the D-1 area but also hamstrings itself by not wanting to allow taller buildings in the GMU, D4 and D3 areas. This is done to again, preserve the Pyramid.

How can the increased D-1 heights be extended Westward as planned when there are those that are against this.

Additionally, there is a reference to both the CCH and Block 67 Phase 2. Both project areas are in the D4 zone, both are adjacent to D1 and requested to have their project area zoning changed to D1 to allow for increased heights.

It is mentioned in one of the documents that both projects were scaled down to fit into a D4 overlay zone with a 375' cap on height.

I think that this is the City shooting itself in the foot, while giving more power to the Land Bankers. The good thing is that there is an appetite for changing the heights and work is being done to make this happen.

I do think that in many ways STACK development should get a lot of credit for this push to increase zoning heights. They are still pushing for the area East of the Central Station to have the heights increased, both min and max heights.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 4:42 PM

^^^

Watching that video

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 5:32 PM

That was unbearable.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 12:11 AM
Space Magi

Excellent shot of 95 State today from u/chaunceton on the subreddit:

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 2:59 AM

Pandemic doesn’t stop the rise of flexible and shared office spaces in downtown Salt Lake City

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/08/...snt-stop-rise/

THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE
By Tony Semerad
8/11/2020

Quote:

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Aug 13, 2020 at 10:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 3:18 PM

Utah 1950's

Video Link

This is quite an interesting video abut Salt Lake City and Utah and the leading industries of Utah. I recommend watching it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 3:48 PM
Space Magi

Nice, thanks for sharing.

This one was recommended to me based on viewing that one:

Video Link

Our city has a very colorful history.

Last edited by Atlas; Aug 13, 2020 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 5:13 PM

One of my friends does the "Salt Lake City History Minute" on YouTube for the Mayor's Office...there are some good (and short) ones in there too:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...history+minute

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 6:33 PM
One Thing At A Time

While we are on the YouTube train, here is a video from the West Quarter project’s big pour. http://youtu.be/rRG8x4JHM28

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 7:46 PM

[QUOTE=jedikermit;9009487]One of my friends does the "Salt Lake City History Minute" on YouTube for the Mayor's Office...there are some good (and short) ones in there too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Gu2uK8kUE [QUOTE]

Thanks for this post. I watched Return of The Jedi at the Centre Theater while the floods were flowing down State Street, where the theater was directly on.

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 14, 2020 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 8:14 PM

Coconut Grove

Apparently, that large parking lot between 4th & 5th south and between Main & West Temple, the nation's largest ballroom, Coconut Grove, existed there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es5bqmmDxEI

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 13, 2020 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 8:40 PM
Space Magi

Makes sense given how many artists were known to have stayed at the Hotel Newhouse next door. It's really a shame that it all turned into a parking lot.

By the way Orlando, your YouTube links are broken. When you use SSP's YouTube embedding tags, make sure to only paste in the code after "v=" and not the whole link.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 11:23 AM

Post House District -

Salt Lake City, UT | July 30, 2020 - https://www.cbre.us/people-and-offic...-reuse-project

The Salt Lake City office of CBRE has been selected to oversee leasing of the A&Z Building, the former home of A&Z Produce and adaptive reuse project in The Post District, a $300 million master-planned neighborhood development. Scott Wilmarth, Nadia Letey and Melina Miramontes will oversee the office leasing requirement.

The A&Z Building is a three-story office building with a garden level, totaling approximately 36,000 square feet. Renovations are already underway, and the building should be ready for occupancy in September of this year. The renovation transforms an old produce building into a space that unites the historic nature of the structure with a modern aesthetic, featuring exposed brick and beam finishes. The A&Z Building will share an above-grade parking structure with an adjacent building and has a surface lot that can facilitate additional future phases of development.

"The Post District is a timely development that will redefine the western perimeter of downtown's Central Business District, and the A&Z Building is the first step in this paramount undertaking" noted Nadia Letey, first vice president of CBRE. "Careful consideration has been taken in the master plan to ensure that the needs of the neighborhood and local businesses have been addressed, including space for housing, retail, and local artist installations in addition to the planned office space."

The A&Z Building is part of The Post District, a major renovation in the area that aims to revitalize a 14-acre region bordering downtown's Central Business District. The Post District is a $300 million master-planned neighborhood development with 580 new residential units and over 300,000 square feet of new and redeveloped commercial space providing creative office, walkable restaurants, cafes, shops, open green space, public plazas and more. The initial office developments are taking place on the southern block of 500 South spanning from 300 West to 400 West.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 1:58 PM

[QUOTE=Orlando;9009751]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
One of my friends does the "Salt Lake City History Minute" on YouTube for the Mayor's Office...there are some good (and short) ones in there too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Gu2uK8kUE

Thanks for this post. I watched Return of The Jedi at the Centre Theater while the floods were flowing down State Street, where the theater was directly on.
That's where I saw The Empire Strikes Back!

...my grandma was there too, and afterwards said she "didn't understand anything the big hairy one said"

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 3:48 PM

[QUOTE=jedikermit;9010478]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

That's where I saw The Empire Strikes Back!

...my grandma was there too, and afterwards said she "didn't understand anything the big hairy one said"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West