HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 9:00 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Because it's not a real project. If you look at the legal copy on the site, it's owned by ABC, who, last time I checked, develops TV shows, not buildings.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 1:23 AM
Good Grief

That’s a very clever ad campaign. For the cost of putting a fence around one of their parking lots, they have an ad for one of their TV shows that has the potential to get a lot of publicity.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 5:47 AM

haha I was fooled!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 6:28 PM

Who would want to name a building "The Darling Tower", anyways? Sounds retarted.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 2:34 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Hollywood's Palladium Sign Up, New Hotel Coming?

By Dakota
October 9, 2008

Chop, chop, Palladium! Only one week left till the big Jay-Z show. Today, the old Palladium got its new sign, a close replica of the original 1940s sign, according to project architect Christopher Coe, who said his firm studied old postcards and film footage to nail down the details. And some old-timey Hollywood glamour for you: At night, the letters will light up red, blinking on in descending order. And how about this tidbit that we didn't seem to, err, know about: One of developers who is behind the Palladium project, Ravi Choudhry, said he is talking to hotel operators who have "had significant interest" in the site--a parking lot off El Centro-- located directly behind the Palladium.

While just in the talking phase, a hotel behind the Palladium is one consideration for the area, he said. The theory is that a nightlife spot could be served well by a hotel, and create a "golden era Las Vegas"-type synergy on this stretch of Sunset. Interesting! Doable?

And while he wouldn't elaborate on what hotels were interested, we got a sense that perhaps a chain like a Hard Rock Hotel would be a contender. But all of this talk is very preliminary, he stressed, adding that housing, retail, and office space for the lot have all been considered as well.

Additionally, both sides of the Palladium venue have 5,000 square feet of restaurant space, respectively. The developers are talking to restaurants for both spaces. And as previously noted, the venue opens October 15th.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Who would want to name a building "The Darling Tower", anyways? Sounds retarted.
Oh

my

God.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 10:05 PM

Great pics WestSIDE... thats cool that they are restoring it. The only thing I see is a lot of blank space. I hope they can put something in the front to make more interesting. Right now it just looks empty from outside. I know it still early to tell, so will see.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 6:12 AM

They should add LEd screens like the El capitan

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Oh

my

God.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 1:41 AM

Breaking News!

From Curbed:

Leafy Green Horror: Jean Nouvel Tower Shelved Indefinitely (IOW, On-Hold, not Cancelled)

Friday, October 17, 2008, by Neal Broverman

One of the first high-profile casualties of the economic collapse, Jean Nouvel's pretty green tower ain't happening, at least not in the immediate future. The Los Angeles Business Journal's Daniel Miller reports that SunCal—developer of the 45-story, 177-unit condo tower—released a statement saying, "We have been unable to obtain assurances of continued funding that would allow us to move forward with confidence at this point in time." The LABJ says the project has been shelved, but SunCal keeps the door open by saying they hope to restart the project as soon as financing is shored up. Earlier this month, SunCal gave out a not entirely reassuring-sounding statement on the project, claiming that it was still going forward. But some may be happy with the latest news—as seen in the comments in an earlier post, 10000 Santa Monica was seen by some as a pedestrian-killing "monster of a building that would house fifty or so billionaires."

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 2:18 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Not familiar with the project but if it truly would be a pedestrian-killing monster of a building that would house fifty or so billionairesI am not too upset.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 2:50 AM
Environmental Sabotage

How about an update:

1600 N. Vine and The W Hotel:

Jay-Z opened on Oct. 15th here and the recently completed Palladium:

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 4:11 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Not familiar with the project but if it truly would be a pedestrian-killing monster of a building that would house fifty or so billionairesI am not too upset.
That argument over this project is typical NIMBY nonsense. People were opposed to it purely because of its size, not on what it would do to the pedestrian experience on Santa Monica - which, by the way, is non-existent at the moment.

Great update dktshb. 1600 Vine looks like it's really coming along. I really think the few projects that made it through this cycle are going to create livable areas that will make the next cycle that much more exciting.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 9:40 PM

^Well really now, how could there be fifty or so Billionaires that would call a unit in that tower "home"?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 12:21 AM
Environmental Sabotage

I think the author of that would call it a bit of satire, it is not to be taken literally. Like I said I wasn't aware of the project but take colemonkey's opinions with high regard so I am sorry that NIMBY's were able to destroy another project that would have added density and not have been the pedestrian-killing experience that the author mentioned some argued it would be.

However, there are some projects out there that get support just because of their size and I think we can demand more and not settle for just anything. I am all for more density and mixed use TOD development but I deplore the above ground parking structures sprouting up under the condo towers downtown and feel they are the wrong direction as far as I am concerned. They are just suburban structures on steroids as far as I am concerned.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 9:16 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

OCTOBER 20, 2008 | 1600 North Vine, The Palladium

1600 North Vine

From Flickr, by jeremy!

From Flickr, by jeremy!

From Flickr, by jeremy!

The Palladium

From Flickr, by jeremy!

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Oct 26, 2008 at 9:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 10:29 AM
BANNED

that is a big project. LA just needs a few hundred more of these and then we can begin to look like a real city

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 8:37 PM

The Century & Beverly West, Oct 25

Here's some pics I took of The Century and Beverly West yesterday afternoon.

Closeup

Broad view

Beverly West

I love how The Century seems to stand so tall and slim when you're driving eastbound on Santa Monica Blvd from the 405...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
However, there are some projects out there that get support just because of their size and I think we can demand more and not settle for just anything. I am all for more density and mixed use TOD development but I deplore the above ground parking structures sprouting up under the condo towers downtown and feel they are the wrong direction as far as I am concerned. They are just suburban structures on steroids as far as I am concerned.
Yes, i've been feeling a little worried about stuff like 717 Ninth for a while because that gives NIMBY's the opening they need to express they're traffic concerns...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 7:06 AM
Good Grief

From Curbed LA
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/1...eader_comments

The Wetherly Project

Curbed LA

Meet the Wetherly Project, a very large development planned for a swath of land around S. Wetherly Drive and Almont Drive, right near the Four Seasons Hotel. According to city planning documents (the project is in the environmental impact report stage), the development "would demolish 84 existing apartment and condominium units in seven buildings and construct approximately 132 condominium units in one 16-story building (208 feet tall) and eight townhouse units in a three-story building (35 feet tall)." And 350 parking spaces will go in a subterranean parking structure, too. That big building in the rendering is the 16-story tower, but it's not immediately clear where the smaller three-story building is. If you're one of those who would lose their home over this, we hope there's a big buyout awaiting you. Oh, and the architect is Nadel Architects and they are looking for LEED Silver certification on the building.
· The Wetherly Project [City Planning Dept]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations