HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 10:58 PM

Impressive. I wouldn't have thought this possible from the Taylorsville I knew in the past. So tell me what's going on there lately? Have a lot of changes taken place over the past 10 years? I guess I should probably repost this over on the SLMSA Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Mid Valley Performing Arts Center. I think Taylorsville is a little gem in our valley:

https://artsaltlake.org/mid-valley-p...oming-in-2020/

Last edited by delts145; Oct 21, 2020 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:10 AM

I taught at Bennion Junior High in Taylorsville for about ten years -- there's been some commercial development around the city hall, mostly medical facilities. Dialysis, urgent care, the like. The performing arts center is the first public anything that's been built in some time. Since the city hall?

Then they've rebranded the intersection of 5400 S and Redwood Rd and built several standalone, parking lot surrounded eateries. Some good-ish ones, keeping some tax dollars in town. Still pretty much a wasteland west to Bangerter (and beyond to 4000 W), but uh, they got a new car wash and Carls Junior next to the new Bangerter overpass, so I'm sure that's exciting for someone.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I taught at Bennion Junior High in Taylorsville for about ten years -- there's been some commercial development around the city hall, mostly medical facilities. Dialysis, urgent care, the like. The performing arts center is the first public anything that's been built in some time. Since the city hall?

Then they've rebranded the intersection of 5400 S and Redwood Rd and built several standalone, parking lot surrounded eateries. Some good-ish ones, keeping some tax dollars in town. Still pretty much a wasteland west to Bangerter (and beyond to 4000 W), but uh, they got a new car wash and Carls Junior next to the new Bangerter overpass, so I'm sure that's exciting for someone.
Yeah Taylorsville is forgettable. They have done a terrible job of creating a sense of place. The 54th and Redwood complex is still a dumpster fire. A repainted dumpster, but still a dumpster.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:12 PM

Brighton High School Rebuild

Hogan & Associates Construction has already begun preparing for the rebuild, which will be done in phases starting with construction of new performing arts and athletics facilities to the west and east of the existing building. Before crews
can start work on these structures, they need to rearrange some of the parking areas and entry- and exit-points. For the first 16 months of construction no classrooms are impacted; the gymnasiums, main office and academic wings will
remain untouched. More information can be found at bond.canyonsdistrict.org.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 28, 2021 at 12:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:03 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Impressive. I wouldn't have thought this possible from the Taylorsville I knew in the past. So tell me what's going on there lately? Have a lot of changes taken place over the past 10 years? I guess I should probably repost this over on the SLMSA Thread.

I honestly didn't think this could be starting anytime soon as it should have started almost a year ago. Drove past this yesterday around 11 am and there was a couple guys putting up temporary fences.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 10:23 PM

Radical Changes Coming To Taylorsville Center Over Next 20 Months

With ground now broken on the new performing arts center southeast of Taylorsville City Hall, the race is on to also complete work on this acreage,
southwest of the city building, so both sides can open together late next year. (Carl Fauver/City Journals)

Carl Fauver for the Taylorsville Journal -
http://www.taylorsvillejournal.com/2...ng-arts-center

Now that ground has been broken on the new $45 million Mid-Valley Performing Arts Center southeast of Taylorsville City Hall, changes will be coming fast and furious to all the open acreage between the city building and 5400 South. After sitting empty for about a decade, the entire area will undergo a radical facelift over the next 20 months.

“Now that work is underway on the new arts center, we want to also make improvements to the area west of the new center, so that both sides can open at the same time late next year,” said Taylorsville Mayor Kristie Overson. “We want to make this a wonderful gathering place for residents to see a show in the arts center and to enjoy other things on the other side (of Centennial Way, the road leading to city hall from 5400 South).”

Clearly the plans for the open acreage to the west are not as ambitious as a multi-million-dollar state-of-the-art performance hall, which means whatever ends up being built on that side will not take as long to construct.

“We want to create a synergetic relationship between all three areas — city hall, the new arts center and the open area to the southwest — so people feel it all ties together and is aesthetically pleasing,” said Community Development Director Mark McGrath. “We have had a master plan for this complex for many years. But now it needs updating.”

The first step in that process is already underway, as city officials have received six bids from consulting and design firms.

“Staff will meet and discuss their qualifications and make a recommendation to the mayor,” McGrath said. “We want to see construction and landscaping recommendations that will tie the entire area together.”...

...“There’s been talk of a nice restaurant — to capitalize on the arts center audiences — along with more of a faster-serve place,” Christopherson said. “But we need to study daytime populations to see whether that is feasible. If we do this right, that area (west of the arts center) will be a great community gathering place. That is the goal, to create a sense of completeness. So, now we just have to figure out the best way to do that.”

The open acreage is also expected to include pieces of art and an amphitheater area suitable for events such summer outdoor movies, which were revived last season. The food truck Saturday nights launched last year are also expected to find a home in the new configuration.

“As for the area farthest south — up against 5400 South — we want to create some kind of grand entrance into the city complex, with signage and possibly a short wall or water features,” McGrath concluded. “Again, at this point we need to get the consultants on board and start looking at options.”

But it appears the one thing that is not optional in the midst of all these discussions is the completion date for the westside acreage.

“I have been hearing for years that the city needs to take care of this dirt in front of city hall,” Overson said. “So, I can promise you, when that new arts center opens (expected in December 2020), it will not open next to raw dirt.”

Last edited by delts145; Jul 18, 2019 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
The Mid Valley PAC isn't Taylorsville's doing. Several years ago, when Salt Lakers were debating whether to build the Eccles Center, arts organizations around the valley complained that more arts facilities should be built around the county, and not just downtown.
SLCO did a study and found that the county should have more arts facilities, and promised to build several. This is the first concrete example of that.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 5:40 AM

Controversial Olympia Hills project near Herriman back on drawing board

https://www.ksl.com/article/46508986...-drawing-board

A controversial high-density community proposed in southwest Salt Lake County that went down amid public backlash last summer has re-emerged with a new design.

Developers of what would still be called Olympia Hills intend to take comments on their plans in two public meetings this week before seeking approval from the county. Former Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams vetoed the project last June after the County Council approved a zone change for the 930-acre development on unincorporated land west of Herriman.

Mayors from surrounding cities of Copperton, Herriman, Riverton, South Jordan and West Jordan opposed the plans, citing concerns about density, roads, water and sewer systems and open space. Angry residents railed against the project and urged McAdams, now a U.S. congressman, to nix it.

The proposal also prompted some leaders in the area to explore how to "divorce" their cities from the county, leading to a bill that the Utah House voted down last week.

"We really never talked to people initially about what Olympia is," said developer Doug Young. "We came in for our rezone on the property so we could establish the approvals for the zoning. We never really rolled out what Olympia is until now."

Open houses on the revised Olympia Hills plan are set for Wednesday at Bastian Elementary School in Herriman and Thursday at Golden Fields Elementary in South Jordan, both starting at 6 p.m. Horrocks Engineering, Ensign Engineering, Utah State University and others will be on hand to talk about the project.

Olympia Hills is designed to cater to Utah's burgeoning high-tech industry by creating a community were people live, work, shop and play, Young said.

"We want to create the buzz of bringing companies in from all over the world," Young said.

Initially proposed for nine housing units per acre, developers have reduced that to just under seven. Instead of 8,800 housing units, it would now be around 6,500, including single-family homes, apartments and condominiums. The community would include small parks that tie into larger existing parks, he said.

"This is not a subdivision. It's not a continuation of what’s been done," Young said, adding that subdivisions force people to drive to work. "This is a new template. This is a new page of life. I think it’s the wave of the future."

Olympia Hills residents, he said, could ride their bikes to the office and also connect into the county's trail system.

Riverton Mayor Trent Staggs scoffs at the notion of Olympia Hills as a live-work-play community.

"I think it's incredibly naive to think everybody will live, work and play in the same place," he said. "You can't just be an island. He's basically saying this is going to be an island, and that's false."

Staggs said he still has questions about density, wants to see a traffic study and wonders who's going to pay the millions for water and sewer systems. He said he's disappointed the developers haven't reached out to the southwest valley mayors since revising the project.

"I haven't seen any discussion about what kind of infrastructure would go along with that. That's really the most important thing to us," he said.

Cities in the southwest valley have commissioned a "visioning" study for the area to which Salt Lake County has contributed $100,000, Staggs said. He said it doesn't make any sense for the county to advance the project before the study is done.

Young said "we all love studies" but 90 percent of the land in Salt Lake County is already used up, leaving only about 10 percent left for development.

"We can’t plan the future the same way we have in the past because that kind of thinking got us into the trouble we're in today," he said. "We are part of the solution to the problem that already exists."

Young acknowledged that the development would create traffic, but the goal is to keep people from having to drive across town for work as the valley continues to grow.

Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson said in a statement that the county had encouraged the developers to include public feedback in the planning process.

"We applaud their efforts to do that and encourage residents to engage and share their thoughts on this proposed new community," said Wilson, who supported the project last summer, calling it "unique and visionary."

In addition to housing and business, the proposed community would have other features.

Donated land would be set aside for Utah State University and Jordan School District to foster science, technology, engineering and math or STEM education, Young said. There is also a site for a new Kauri Sue Hamilton School for children with special needs, he said.

Developers are also working with a children's hospital — Young declined to say which one — to build a facility in the community focusing on children's mental health, he said, noting the high rate of youth suicide.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 5:53 AM

Tribe article has much of the same info but with a rendering and a site plan

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/03/.../#twt-comments

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:03 PM

The interesting thing about Olympia Hills is that most people do not oppose the development in general. They just want to address the roadway access to it. I was looking at a house on the Riverton/Herriman border last summer and I was so glad I scheduled the showing for 6pm on a weekday. It was a nightmare getting out west of Mountain View. It is only getting worse. Not sure they can do much to solve it but adding more houses without any changes is crazy!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
The interesting thing about Olympia Hills is that most people do not oppose the development in general. They just want to address the roadway access to it. I was looking at a house on the Riverton/Herriman border last summer and I was so glad I scheduled the showing for 6pm on a weekday. It was a nightmare getting out west of Mountain View. It is only getting worse. Not sure they can do much to solve it but adding more houses without any changes is crazy!
And part of the problem is that leaders in the the SW valley didn't set aside any land for new roads. So, if any new roads are built, a lot of houses, many of them new, will have to be demolished.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
I have been for this development because these types of devs are going to continue to happen, but I would prefer to keep them in SL county to better facilitate transit supported development and to slow down the crazy sprawl that is opening up on the west side of Utah County.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Controversial Olympia Hills project near Herriman back on drawing board

Olympia Hills is designed to cater to Utah's burgeoning high-tech industry by creating a community were people live, work, shop and play, Young said.

"This is not a subdivision. It's not a continuation of what’s been done," Young said, adding that subdivisions force people to drive to work. "This is a new template. This is a new page of life. I think it’s the wave of the future."

Olympia Hills residents, he said, could ride their bikes to the office and also connect into the county's trail system.

Riverton Mayor Trent Staggs scoffs at the notion of Olympia Hills as a live-work-play community.

"I think it's incredibly naive to think everybody will live, work and play in the same place," he said. "You can't just be an island. He's basically saying this is going to be an island, and that's false."

Young acknowledged that the development would create traffic, but the goal is to keep people from having to drive across town for work as the valley continues to grow.
Phoenix already tried this decades ago. Instead of developing a strong downtown, they developed 5 town centers where people could live and work. It just doesn't work.
If someone gets a job there, and happens to be looking for a house or have the ability to move nearby, in 3-5 years, they'll get a new job elsewhere, probably in Lehi or downtown and they'll be back to commuting on I-15.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 7:36 PM

This new proposal doesn't address the issues at all. It's still bad density. The idea that the people who are going to work in the development are the same people who are going to live there is ridiculous, and there's no concept of that working. People who work in Lehi or even downtown Salt Lake will buy houses there, and people who work there will buy houses all over the valley. There's no real plan for transit access, and no real plan to improve road access. Part of this is the fault of the county and cities in the southwestern corner of the county having no vision or long-term plan for development, and horrible growth management, but this is certainly not the solution. Density is not a magic bullet for fixing sprawl - you can't just build a new development from scratch at the edge of the suburbs and expect it to be car-optional, no matter how mixed-use it is.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:57 PM

Salt Lake City southwestern suburbs grapple with gridlock

TONY SEMERAD, The Salt Lake Tribune - https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...6284fa34a.html

SALT LAKE CITY — How do you get from Salt Lake County’s fast-growing southwestern cities to other parts of the valley?

Patiently.

Area roads, many designed when these towns were quiet bedroom communities, are frequently crammed, particularly during commuting times. And new homes, apartments and town houses are going up at a swift pace in that neck of the county.

Frustrated mayors say their cities are growing so rapidly that road improvements aren’t keeping up, and they are imploring state officials to make transportation spending in the region a high priority.

The suburban cities of Herriman, South Jordan, West Jordan, Bluffdale, Riverton and Copperton have added more than 160,000 residents since 2000, their mayors say, and that wave has brought a flurry of housing development, much of it multifamily.

And although these cities have taken in roughly 70 percent of the county’s population increase over the past two decades, their mayors contend the state is behind on millions of dollars in upgrades to roads, interchanges and mass transit in their areas.

The combined trends have left many key east-west arterials such as 12600 South and 13400 South at failure rates, meaning that commuter traffic grinds to a standstill on a near-daily basis. At the same time, bus and train services are significantly lacking across the region, which, because it has nearly half of the county’s remaining undeveloped land, will only get more crowded.

“Ask any resident in the area, or drive through the quadrant during peak hours, and you will hear about the infrastructure challenge to keep up with our rapid expansion,” the six mayors wrote in a jointly signed op-ed, published March 3 in The Salt Lake Tribune...Read More - https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...6284fa34a.html

In this Friday Feb. 22, 2019 photo, Rush hour traffic heading west is backed up on 12600 South at Bangerter Highway in Riverton, Utah. Mayors in southwest Salt Lake County say that area is in a transportation crisis, as major east-west roads serving the area are overwhelmed with traffic at rush hour. (Trent Nelson/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 1:28 PM

Park City - Star Hotel Teardown and Redevelopment

Jay Hamburger, for the Park Record - https://www.parkrecord.com/news/park...e-power-tools/

A crew on Monday morning started to prepare an old, decrepit Main Street hotel to be torn down, the initial steps in what will be an extraordinarily rare takedown of a building on the shopping, dining and entertainment strip.

The workers, using power and manual tools, spent time on Monday tearing away the exterior layer of stucco on the Main Street side of the Star Hotel. The stucco came off quickly while the workers used brute force to dislodge cement. Stonework was revealed in one section of the building as the workers removed the exterior layer.

The operation had been expected for several months with there seeming to be at one point the possibility of the work starting prior to the Sundance Film Festival in January. The work was delayed until after Sundance and the heavy snows that struck in February. The contractor, Brassey & Company, said on Monday the full demolition of the building could start by the end of March.

The Park City Building Department is overseeing the work while the Park City Planning Department is monitoring the teardown to ensure the workers comply with plans to preserve historic materials that would be used as the property is redeveloped. The foundation, made of rock, will be preserved and incorporated into a development, as an example.

"It can pretty much come down," said Bruce Erickson, the planning director at City Hall.

Main Street will lose an old building as the Star Hotel is taken down, but City Hall officials determined the structure in unsafe. The Planning Department in early March indicated there was a potential of the roof collapsing inward under the weight of the snow and ice.

City Hall's Old Town panel, the Historic Preservation Board, and the Park City Board of Adjustment previously voted to maintain the Star Hotel's designation as a significant building as part of a municipal government-kept inventory of historic sites. Buildings with that designation cannot be torn down under most circumstances, but officials in the case of the Star Hotel agreed to allow the demolition based on the poor condition and the danger to the public.

The Star Hotel was incorporated into a small historic house decades ago. The project involves a redevelopment that includes a building that will appear to be a full restoration of the Star Hotel, the full restoration of the small historic house and a small addition.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 18, 2019 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 1:58 PM

Mayflower Mountain Resort - First Look: Sundance's New "Resort Mecca" to Feature Luxury Homes, 5 New Ski Lifts

Paul Benson, of Engel & Volkers, credits two factors for Park City's allure: While the 2002 Winter Olympics helped get the ball rolling, he says, the film festival and its own continued growth (nearly 125,000 people attended in 2018 with, by one estimate, $191.2 million in economic impact) has arguably moved the needle much further. "Sundance put us on the map," Benson says. "The film festival exposed this town to people who probably would never have come to Utah, and it has helped create a resort real estate mecca."

Peter Kiefer for the Hollywood Reporter - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...hotels-1178296

Massive villages are planned for Park City and the surrounding area to appeal to the film festival crowd that "probably would never have come to Utah."
Sundance isn't the only attraction that lures Hollywood to the slopes of Park City. Justin Bieber, Katherine Heigl and Will Smith all own homes in the area (Jeffrey Katzenberg recently sold one) prized for its great skiing and easy access from L.A. (less than two hours' flight to nearby Salt Lake City).

Now entertainment industry second-home hunters can look forward to a massive development project underway just a few miles southeast of Park City's main drag. Envisioned as an eastern portal of the Deer Valley Resort, this new ski village almost certainly will extend the footprint of the Sundance Film Festival.

In September, officials from Wasatch County approved a plan — the largest project in county history — hatched by New York-based Extell Development Co. to build a high-end destination resort, Mayflower Mountain, at the Mayflower exit off U.S. Route 40. "We're talking about 3.2 million square feet of development, so this is bigger than any concentrated area of Deer Valley," says Engel & Volkers broker Mark Sletten, who's based in Park City.

Headed up by Gary Barnett, Extell is one of the most prolific residential developers in New York City. In 2017, Extell purchased 2,300 acres of land west of the Jordanelle Reservoir (see map); the Mayflower Mountain Resort will stretch across 940 acres of that land.

Courtesy of Extell Development Company
A rendering of the planned Mayflower Mountain Resort on U.S. Route 4 that will provide access to Deer Valley skiing without driving through Park City.

The plan, rolling out in phases over the next two decades, will result in 1,500 residential units — a mixture of homes, hotel rooms and condominiums, most will be in the luxury price range (around $1,500 per square foot). Among the several planned hotels, at least one will be five-star, with another dedicated to members of the military. More than 250,000 square feet of commercial and retail space are planned, along with a 68,000-square-foot recreation center and 95,000 square feet of housing set aside for the future Mayflower workforce. Five new Deer Valley ski lifts will be added, as will extensive skiable terrain.

Courtesy of Extell Development Company

The greenlighting of the Mayflower caps a five-year boom in local real estate. The median 2018 sale price of a Park City home was $585,000, up 8 percent from 2017, with total market volume up 3 percent, according to figures provided by The Agency — the Beverly Hills real estate powerhouse that opened its first Park City office in July.

Two of the area's luxury resorts — Montage and Stein Eriksen — also are expanding and upgrading. And a new Pendry resort is under construction in Park City, set to open in the winter of 2021 (Pendry is a subsidiary of Montage) with 150 rooms and suites, along with luxury residences ranging from studios to four-bedroom homes. The Stein Eriksen Lodge just finished a $14 million renovation that includes a new restaurant, an entertainment space, a theater, cafe and apres-ski outdoor heated plaza.

Courtesy of Pendry Team
An architectural rendering of a home at the Pendry Residencies, set to open in 2021 in Canyons Village.

Paul Benson, also of Engel & Volkers, credits two factors for Park City's allure: While the 2002 Winter Olympics helped get the ball rolling, he says, the film festival and its own continued growth (nearly 125,000 people attended in 2018 with, by one estimate, $191.2 million in economic impact) has arguably moved the needle much further. "Sundance put us on the map," Benson says. "The film festival exposed this town to people who probably would never have come to Utah, and it has helped create a resort real estate mecca."

Last edited by delts145; Jul 18, 2019 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 7:25 PM

SMH..

https://www.ksl.com/article/46520069...ensity-housing

Sandy neighbors upset with process of rezoning land from commercial to high density housing

Quote:
The old Reams grocery store property along 700 East at 10600 South was a busy place for years.

The property has been vacant for some time, and now longtime neighbors are worried about what a developer wants to build there. “Houses that are much more dense than our community is use to. We all live on half acre and one acre lots,” said Kim McKellar.

Like most residents in the neighborhood, McKellar has lived in the neighborhood for more than 20 years, enjoying a small pocket of quiet. So neighbors are surprised the city council is still considering a high density proposal.

“The planning commission gave this whole development a negative approval,” she added.

At city hall, the mayor said he shares the residents’ concern that the city council is working on an agreement with the developer.

“We have never done one here in Sandy city; other cities have, but it essentially becomes a contract between the city council and the developer,” said Mayor Kurt Bradburn. He said his focus remains on keeping high density projects out of Sandy, but has no say in what the council will decide.

“Where it is right now, it is on the council to either rehear a rezone on the property or make an agreement on the development agreement,” he said. Neighbors say if the council indeed works out an agreement with the developer for the housing project, they’ll be left out of the process.

“We have spent many hours in many meetings discussing different options and it doesn’t seem like the city council wants to listen to our input anymore,” McKellar said.

The city council will determine the high density proposal in the coming months.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 8:40 PM

Millcreek Station (directly west of 3300 Trax)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:27 AM

Some photos of the two ongoing developments around the Meadowbrook Station neighborhood that's emerging around 3900 S and W Temple / Main St

Columbus Center Opportunity Hub

https://imgur.com/a/QkmohWK

Moda Meadowbrook

https://imgur.com/a/UA3QYzW

There's another development directly across the Columbus Center facing Harmony Park aptly called Harmony Park Apartments that seems to be getting ready to break ground, it's already fenced and they got approval to consolidate the lots of the development by the city of South Salt Lake in January, so hopefully it gets going very soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West