HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:22 AM

Just a few North Philly updates from my walk today.

This one has some digging on site now: https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ctory-fishtown

Buildings for this one were demolished a few months back, now it looks like they are digging down https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-grocery-store

Small note on this one - the existing buildings were fenced off within the last few weeks. https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...oon-time-berks

These are all within just a few blocks of each other.

The one to really make this area insane is this the huge lot that International Bar used as outdoor space. No movement yet there though

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:51 AM

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...G9G3oxFp3l7g5o

“Philly Lost more than 7% of jobs and could lose 19,000 commuters a day, Pew study says.”

Yikes! Focus on quality of life issues for residents or bust I guess...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:32 PM

^ Some of that can be attributed to an affirmative desire to work at home, but some want to pretend that there won’t be a negative response to a much less attractive environment in the city. It’s purely anecdotal, but I know a lot of former city stalwarts and suburban supporters who are steering clear of town for the forseeable future. They feel safer and freer in the burbs.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post

“Philly Lost more than 7% of jobs and could lose 19,000 commuters a day, Pew study says.”

I appreciate that Pew tried to quantify the short- and longer-term economic impact of the pandemic on the City, but I think it would also be helpful to know contextually what is going on in other big cities, as obviously this is something that every CBD in the world will be grappling with. And yes, the quality-of-life issues have to be addressed head-on, as well.

I have to think that other larger cities that have a more tech-heavy workforce, for example, will be fighting an ever greater uphill battle to retain office workers. Regardless, until the "dust settles" more in the coming weeks and months, these estimates should only be taken very preliminarily.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:49 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Mount Airy View Post
Well, I guess I have to write a letter of protest to my District Councilperson... This is so backwards. Many sections of Mount Airy have homes with huge lots that could support accessory dwelling units ("granny flats"), which could easily add affordable housing to this area, but no we can't have that here in Philadelphia. So that pushes developers toward teardowns of older and smaller properties, or gutting a building and going vertical, but now the Councilperson wants to side with the NIMBYs and stop that. When the NIMBYs are holding hands with the so-called advocates for affordable housing, nothing but bad policy results.

https://whyy.org/articles/legislatio...urt-challenge/
Wow, another example of forward thinking leadership... (sarcasm). Cindy Bass...

I hope this doesn't pass.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:13 PM

Quote:

I think these type of articles are startling until you look at the context. How many of these losses were due to accelerated retiring as a result of Covid? Has an increase in new residents made up for the loss of commuters? Should daytime workers of the CBD be the main focus of cities and not residents? I also try not to compare to other cities, but Philly appears to have fared much better than NYC in regaining job losses as a result of the pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/14/n...y-jobless.html

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I appreciate that Pew tried to quantify the short- and longer-term economic impact of the pandemic on the City, but I think it would also be helpful to know contextually what is going on in other big cities, as obviously this is something that every CBD in the world will be grappling with. And yes, the quality-of-life issues have to be addressed head-on, as well.

I have to think that other larger cities that have a more tech-heavy workforce, for example, will be fighting an ever greater uphill battle to retain office workers. Regardless, until the "dust settles" more in the coming weeks and months, these estimates should only be taken very preliminarily.
At this point in time, nobody really knows what the long term impact of work from home will be. But in terms of Philly, I think there are two things most would agree on. First, compared to other large cities, we are less dependent on the downtown office core. So that is a good thing. On the other hand, our extreme dependency on the wage tax, particularly on suburban commuters, is an outsized risk to us in comparison to most other large cities.

I also agree with the comment that quality-of-life issues will be absolutely key.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:

I think it was mentioned either in the article or the Pew study that Philly is significantly behind many other cities in terms of economic recovery. While NYC is doing worse and the Northeast in general is ranked at the bottom, the West and South are expected to lead the way for continued growth going forward for various reasons.

I agree that there is still time to see where the “dust settles”. However, I’m at the point where I’ve realistically come to believe that thousands of commuters just won’t be coming back. Hopefully, it’s less than expected. In any case, as was mentioned in the article, it will likely have a profound ripple effect on retail, businesses, transit, development, tax revenue etc within the city.

Pew will supposedly release several reports in the coming weeks offering strategies and suggestions the city could undertake to adapt and pivot within a post pandemic environment. I’m sure one will be making Philly a more competitive business environment in some way (lowering the wage tax etc) but might it be too little, too late? If the societal trend is toward “work from home”, then perhaps Philly needs to become just that for better or worse - a bedroom city that also caters to visitors and tourists. I believe it was the urban futurist, Richard Florida, that predicted post pandemic cities could become weekly urban meet up centers for workers where they might have a day of meetings followed by social activities (going to restaurants, events etc). Of course, there will be some businesses that do return to the towers along Market, but the only thing the city has going for it right now is the residential construction boom. If they’re able to make the city an attractive place people want to move to, visit and work from home in, perhaps that’ll plug up the holes in the ship so to speak. Obviously, tackling crime, the homeless/drug situation, trash collection, clean/safe streets are significant priorities that need to be addressed rather quickly. However, at this point, it’s becoming clear Kenney is probably in over his head and not up to the job...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:54 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ Some of that can be attributed to an affirmative desire to work at home, but some want to pretend that there won’t be a negative response to a much less attractive environment in the city. It’s purely anecdotal, but I know a lot of former city stalwarts and suburban supporters who are steering clear of town for the forseeable future. They feel safer and freer in the burbs.
I lost count of how many people I know who have sold their houses, didn't renew their leases, won't go into the city anymore...it's sad and most of these people were diehard supporters. But I can't say I really blame them, as I am in various parts of the city often and I usually see crazy stuff and way more than I used to. It's "okay" for someone like me and when I am on my own but if someone has young kids with them, etc., the apprehension is understandable.

People point to development which I agree is a great sign but A) how many of these are being built by people who are truly invested? B) being built and then being occupied are different things. I don't want to make light of everything going on and it's a great sign but there's a rapidly increasing trickle of people leaving who were committed and invested and it would be disastrous to continue to ignore that, quality of life issues must be addressed.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:04 PM
Me?!?

Liberty Point, set to open in April, looks to become largest restaurant in Philly

Liberty Point will include five bars and a permanent stage for live music.

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- A developer claims the single-largest restaurant in modern Philadelphia history is coming to Penn's Landing.

FCM Hospitality owner Avram Hornik announced Liberty Point will open in April, next to the Independence Seaport Museum.

The 28,000 square foot waterfront restaurant will consist of three levels and will be able to host up to 1,400 people at a time. The first level will be dog-friendly.

Liberty Point will also include five bars and a permanent stage for live music and entertainment.

https://6abc.com/largest-philadelphi...ront/11551439/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I lost count of how many people I know who have sold their houses, didn't renew their leases, won't go into the city anymore...it's sad and most of these people were diehard supporters. But I can't say I really blame them, as I am in various parts of the city often and I usually see crazy stuff and way more than I used to. It's "okay" for someone like me and when I am on my own but if someone has young kids with them, etc., the apprehension is understandable.

People point to development which I agree is a great sign but A) how many of these are being built by people who are truly invested? B) being built and then being occupied are different things. I don't want to make light of everything going on and it's a great sign but there's a rapidly increasing trickle of people leaving who were committed and invested and it would be disastrous to continue to ignore that, quality of life issues must be addressed.
I agree with all of what you said. The silver lining is the “housing backlog”. While people did leave, there continues to be significant pent up demand due to Covid. That’s why many residential projects continue to be green lighted and occupancy rates remain surprisingly stable. Perhaps, it’ll buy some time but who knows for how long...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I think it was mentioned either in the article or the Pew study that Philly is significantly behind many other cities in terms of economic recovery. While NYC is doing worse and the Northeast in general is ranked at the bottom, the West and South are expected to lead the way for continued growth going forward for various reasons
They referred to the national numbers, which are very broad-based and not a particularly helpful comparison, in my view.

The conventional wisdom has always been that the "Sun Belt" does better with economic growth, and in this case, recovery--so I don't see that as anything new. But I think if you compare apples-to-apples, as in comparing large urban centers to larger urban centers, you're definitely seeing similar trends economically as those in Philly. Here's a sampling of recent articles:

S.F. expects 15% of office workers to stay remote permanently. How much will it affect the economy?

COVID-19 JOBS RECOVERY WELL BELOW U.S. AVERAGE IN MOST ILLINOIS METRO AREAS

Here's the bigger picture article from Fortune:

The pandemic is having a lasting impact on job growth, according to new Indeed report

“Through the pandemic, tech hubs have collectively recovered slower than metros overall,” says Konkel, referring specifically to Baltimore, Boston, Raleigh, N.C., San Francisco, San Jose, Calif., Seattle, and Washington, DC. Though these cities retained jobs within the tech sector, they saw significant losses elsewhere, with steep declines in local service sectors that in the past would cater to workers who are now working remotely. “Additionally, some of these tech hub metros’ cost of living is above the national average,” she adds."

https://fortune.com/2022/01/20/where...st-job-growth/

Quote:
If the societal trend is toward “work from home”, then perhaps Philly needs to become just that for better or worse - a bedroom city that also caters to visitors and tourists. I believe it was the urban futurist, Richard Florida, that predicted post pandemic cities could become weekly urban meet up centers for workers where they might have a day of meetings followed by social activities (going to restaurants, events etc). Of course, there will be some businesses that do return to the towers along Market, but the only thing the city has going for it right now is the residential construction boom. If they’re able to make the city an attractive place people want to move to, visit and work from home in, perhaps that’ll plug up the holes in the ship so to speak.
Yes, tourism/entertainment will likely take up an even bigger role in Philadelphia's economic profile compared to pre-pandemic, when that sector was already growing. Also keep in mind that younger generations (Millennials and Gen Z), who are poised to comprise the vast majority of the workforce in the coming years, are very "experience" driven. To the extent that Philadelphia can foster and nurture its approachable, top-notch, bona fide urban experience (without all of the negative attributes tarnishing its reputation), it will have a winning hand.

The city does have a lot to offer in that regard, and there's also a ton of untapped potential. But it will take a lot of vision and hard work to get there.

Quote:
If they’re able to make the city an attractive place people want to move to, visit and work from home in, perhaps that’ll plug up the holes in the ship so to speak. Obviously, tackling crime, the homeless/drug situation, trash collection, clean/safe streets are significant priorities that need to be addressed rather quickly. However, at this point, it’s becoming clear Kenney is probably in over his head and not up to the job...
Yes, absolutely. There's no question that abysmal political leadership is only exacerbating Philadelphia's current challenges, all the more frustrating when so much of it is picking the "low-hanging fruit." I almost wish Kenney could be recalled at this point, but that ship has sailed. Right now it would be more productive to recruit and build city-wide support for a true reform candidate that will take serious actions.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Feb 10, 2022 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:28 PM
Chris

Quote:
I think it was mentioned either in the article or the Pew study that Philly is significantly behind many other cities in terms of economic recovery. While NYC is doing worse and the Northeast in general is ranked at the bottom, the West and South are expected to lead the way for continued growth going forward for various reasons.

I agree that there is still time to see where the “dust settles”. However, I’m at the point where I’ve realistically come to believe that thousands of commuters just won’t be coming back. Hopefully, it’s less than expected. In any case, as was mentioned in the article, it will likely have a profound ripple effect on retail, businesses, transit, development, tax revenue etc within the city.

Pew will supposedly release several reports in the coming weeks offering strategies and suggestions the city could undertake to adapt and pivot within a post pandemic environment. I’m sure one will be making Philly a more competitive business environment in some way (lowering the wage tax etc) but might it be too little, too late? If the societal trend is toward “work from home”, then perhaps Philly needs to become just that for better or worse - a bedroom city that also caters to visitors and tourists. I believe it was the urban futurist, Richard Florida, that predicted post pandemic cities could become weekly urban meet up centers for workers where they might have a day of meetings followed by social activities (going to restaurants, events etc). Of course, there will be some businesses that do return to the towers along Market, but the only thing the city has going for it right now is the residential construction boom. If they’re able to make the city an attractive place people want to move to, visit and work from home in, perhaps that’ll plug up the holes in the ship so to speak. Obviously, tackling crime, the homeless/drug situation, trash collection, clean/safe streets are significant priorities that need to be addressed rather quickly. However, at this point, it’s becoming clear Kenney is probably in over his head and not up to the job...
It's not that grim. Philadelphia is still a major economic force even with it's problems exacerbated by the pandemic (and the problems are hardly unique to Philly). Thankfully the notable institutions located in the city will make sure the city remains economically relevant in the coming decades. Could more be done? Of course! Could leaders take a more proactive and growth friendly approach? 100%! But I still see a bright future for Philadelphia, there is too much momentum to prove otherwise. The biggest hindrance IMO is crap leaders that almost go out of their way to make Philadelphia mediocre rather than world class.

I travel a lot for work, and while Dallas and others are boomtowns, the respective cores are mediocre at best, built around the car and office worker, Philadelphia is the exact opposite, which is a blessing. I was also in San Fran around Christmas for work, and it felt like night and day compared to the rebound of Center City.

Plus, when you break down simple economic stats, housing permits stats, per capita stats, Philadelphia finishes right in the middle of the big city pack, even with a high poverty rate, which was just starting to reduce when the pandemic hit...

And as much as some on here hate to admit, Philadelphia has extremely prosperous suburbs. There is a level of back and forth and musical chair with the burbs, but prosperous burbs and a prosperous core are a perfect storm for continued growth.

In summary, fighting crime and poverty, and investing in pro-growth economic and tourism strategies (LIFE SCIENCES!) are the factors at play that will determine how fast or slow Philadelphia grows/improves in the coming decade. Most of which are intertwined.

Lastly, we all read it, but the Inquirer is a drab paper, and as other posters mentioned, the author just lists Pew findings without any context or greater explanation.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
They referred to the national numbers, which are very broad-based and not a particularly helpful comparison, in my view.

The conventional wisdom has always been that the "Sun Belt" does better with economic growth, and in this case, recovery--so I don't see that as anything new. But I think if you compare apples-to-apples, as in comparing large urban centers to larger urban centers, you're definitely seeing similar trends economically as those in Philly. Here's a sampling of recent articles:

S.F. expects 15% of office workers to stay remote permanently. How much will it affect the economy?

COVID-19 JOBS RECOVERY WELL BELOW U.S. AVERAGE IN MOST ILLINOIS METRO AREAS

Here's the bigger picture article from Fortune:

The pandemic is having a lasting impact on job growth, according to new Indeed report

“Through the pandemic, tech hubs have collectively recovered slower than metros overall,” says Konkel, referring specifically to Baltimore, Boston, Raleigh, N.C., San Francisco, San Jose, Calif., Seattle, and Washington, DC. Though these cities retained jobs within the tech sector, they saw significant losses elsewhere, with steep declines in local service sectors that in the past would cater to workers who are now working remotely. “Additionally, some of these tech hub metros’ cost of living is above the national average,” she adds."

https://fortune.com/2022/01/20/where...st-job-growth/

Yes, absolutely. There's no question that abysmal political leadership is only exacerbating Philadelphia's current challenges, all the more frustrating when so much of it is picking the "low-hanging fruit." I almost wish Kenney could be recalled at this point, but that ship has sailed. Right it would be more productive to recruit and build city-wide support for a true reform candidate that will take serious actions.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe...h=9fdfd7cde920

^^ I was thinking of a Forbes article I had read awhile back. While it’s from 2020 and perhaps some factors might have changed, I suspect it still rings true. A few other more recent articles have confirmed their predictions. However, yes, it does seem like most urban markets are still struggling while the sunbelt is in a much better position.

I know... unfortunately, I don’t think PA has a mechanism to recall elected officials unlike CA. Not to get too political here, but I’d support Nutter in a heart beat if he ran again. Apparently, he could do so as it would be a non consecutive term. More than anything, I just want to see the city back on track so we don’t fall off the cliff...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 5:45 PM
Chris

New retail leases along Walnut Street provide hope for resurgence

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

• Madewell is moving out of its current 3,000-square-foot location and into 7,200 square feet in the former Ann Taylor Loft space at 1729 Walnut St.;
• Aritzia is backfilling the former H&M space at 1725 Walnut St.;
• Outdoor Voices is opening a store in the old Steve Madden space at 1723 Walnut St.;
• Brooklinen to former Aldo space at 1703 Walnut St.;
• Faherty will move into the closed Cole Hahn space at 1601 Walnut St.;
• Gorjana will open a jewelry store at 1630 Walnut St.; and
• Physique 57, a fitness and media company based in New York, will open next month on the second floor of 1625 Walnut St., which formerly housed SLT.

"More deals are in the works. Cooper said he is in negotiations on leases for several spaces including the former Wells Fargo branch at 1712 Walnut St., and the former Free People space at 1625 Walnut St."

"The leases come even as Center City remains challenged by quality-of-life issues, an uptick in crime, and a lack of much of its office tenants and employees, which continue to work from home."

"Steve Gartner, a retail broker with CBRE Inc., represented Grace Loves Lace, an Australian retailer that makes wedding and special occasion dresses, in a deal to take 3,000 square feet at 1719 Chestnut St., where Green Street, a consignment store, was located."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 7:02 PM
Chris

Gov. Wolf's proposed budget would give Ben Franklin Technology Partners $8M to fund more startups

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

"Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf’s ambitious $43.7 billion budget proposal includes an $8 million boost for Ben Franklin Technology Partners, a move that the organization’s leadership says could get more Philadelphia-area startups funded."

"Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania currently funds about 50 startups per year, and the new funding proposed by Wolf could support an additional 10 to 15 companies, CEO Scott Nissenbaum said. BFTP is approached by about 600 to 800 companies per year, he added, and about 200 of those go through a formal review process with Ben Franklin. Only a quarter of the reviewed startups receive funding."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 8:28 PM
Chris

Great update on the Piazza Terminal project, the new buildings look fantastic. The rooftop pool club is a nice touch.

But... Why aren't the utility lines buried, they are awful, and not present in the renderings.

Piazza Terminal Getting Closer to the Terminus of Construction

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...f-construction

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 8:57 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Great update on the Piazza Terminal project, the new buildings look fantastic. The rooftop pool club is a nice touch.

But... Why aren't the utility lines buried, they are awful, and not present in the renderings.

Piazza Terminal Getting Closer to the Terminus of Construction

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...f-construction
Call your council person today to get a bill to bury power lines when a project is over a certain size.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 9:18 PM

I don't keep track of Philly utilities but putting power lines (and etc) underground makes the cost to maintain, repair, or replace them skyrocket straight through the roof. Well, with traditional means. They could always build a tunnel system to house it all and make it vastly easier to maintain.
But I don't know the underground situation of Philly either, not that it matters because in the US it doesn't matter if you can save 10x the initial cost to build if the initial cost to build is too "high".

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Call your council person today to get a bill to bury power lines when a project is over a certain size.
He's not useful for anything.

I asked them to re-open and escalate a ticket I opened with 311 for a dumpsite in Fishtown last year (that was closed as "resolved"). His office said someone would follow up and take care of it.

The furniture is still there on the sidewalk I dunno, 9 months later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development