HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I believe we've all had this conversation before in the Mount Pleasant thread. Yeah, you probably won't see anything above six floors.

Fixed. Lougheed, sure, but it's slight, piecemeal development; Oakridge, see below.

Correct. Point is, Burnaby and all the others have only been building tall so that they keep inside the C and I zoning or demovict "mere" renters, and won't have to touch the SFHs (Grand Bargain and all that). The height's got nothing to do with urbanism or affordability or any crap like that, and everything to do with them not having the balls to challenge suburbistan like Vancouver's doing.
Well, what do you mean by 'all the others'? Surrey Central, Richmond, Guildford, and Langley City have no problem with demoing old SFHs (mostly). Granted, mostly still smaller-scale, but that's since they simply haven't been developed enough for the smaller lots to be that appealing to most developers.
It's the inner suburbs that have issues with SFH NIMBYs (ironically, they have the most that should be torn-down.

Even then, the fact there's relatively few issues with tearing down SFHs in the outer suburbs gives me some hope the inner suburbs will eventually catch up.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Well, what do you mean by 'all the others'? Surrey Central, Richmond, Guildford, and Langley City have no problem with demoing old SFHs (mostly). Granted, mostly still smaller-scale, but that's since they simply haven't been developed enough for the smaller lots to be that appealing to most developers.
It's the inner suburbs that have issues with SFH NIMBYs (ironically, they have the most that should be torn-down.

Even then, the fact there's relatively few issues with tearing down SFHs in the outer suburbs gives me some hope the inner suburbs will eventually catch up.
That's what I'm saying. Some people note the lack of similar development along the Expo, some others insist that's because of some inherent backwardness in the CoV... and what's actually going on is that the inner city has a lot more NIMBY entrenchment, which is either solved by direct confrontation (density overall) or strategic retreat (all the density on one block).

Could go either way, though it's worth noting that up to now, most of the Burnaby/New West/TriCity suburbs haven't been up for rezoning. I'm not very optimistic about what'll happen when they are.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 5:49 AM

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. Some people note the lack of similar development along the Expo, some others insist that's because of some inherent backwardness in the CoV... and what's actually going on is that the inner city has a lot more NIMBY entrenchment, which is either solved by direct confrontation (density overall) or strategic retreat (all the density on one block).

Could go either way, though it's worth noting that up to now, most of the Burnaby/New West/TriCity suburbs haven't been up for rezoning. I'm not very optimistic about what'll happen when they are.
The lack of development at Nanaimo and 29th Ave stations is because the City of Vancouver was pissed off at the Province for ramming through an elevated line down the back alley parallel to Commercial Drive.
The City wanted it buried.
The City passed zoning plans that only allowed increased density on certain parcels in the vicinity of each station.

Here's my post from Oct 11, 2010 (CoV Links still work):

Quote:
There used to be (i.e. following the opening of the Expo Line and in through the 1990s) a policy of the City not to rezone simply because of proximity to SkyTrain stations - I had seen it referenced in Council Minutes from the 1990s. That has only recently changed due to the Canada Line with precinct-wide rezonings. That's also the reason there are so many empty lots near Nanaimo Station - remember how old the Expo Line is - property prices were not sky-high when that line was built - so what else was preventing redevelopment? The City.

The City hasn't entertained the idea of up-zoning areas such as Broadway & Commercial until recently - and even then, that's on the Safeway site, not existing single family parcels. The Transit Village concept for the Broadway & Commercial precinct does not contemplate up-zoning single family housing on a precinct wide basis (which would allow developers to onsolidate lands without it being a case by case crap shoot as to whether rezoning would be allowed).

Found this article on transit-oriented development on a Google search:

http://www.istp.murdoch.edu.au/ISTP/.../canadian.html[DEAD link]

Quote:
A community-based process

Generally, the zoning in Vancouver has resulted from a planning process which has a long tradition of community involvement. Redevelopment is a sensitive issue anywhere in the world and particular efforts have been made by local authorities in Vancouver to consult with the mostly single-family housing areas to be affected by the changes.

For example, in the City of Vancouver, local area strategies were designed for residents and businesses located within a ten minute or 800m walk of stations. This was done through public meetings and the establishment of local advisory committees (City of Vancouver, 1987b).

The plans for intensifying development were pursued with the following specific aims and were supported by a series of specific strategies. The aims were to:

Provide new housing within station precincts without compromising the quality of life for existing residents;
Create sub-centers with diversity and character;
Encourage medium density residential development;
Encourage commercial, mixed use development;
Increase train patronage;
Reduce the impacts of rail generated traffic and parking problems (eg through enhancing the pedestrian environment);
Update facilities required to house future population increases such as parks and libraries;
(City of Vancouver, 1987a; City of Vancouver, 1987b; City of Vancouver, 1987c).

An important aspect of these local area strategies was that general, widespread redevelopment within the station precincts was not undertaken. Rather, development was concentrated on publicly owned vacant sites, land severely impacted by the rail system and under-utilised or derelict land (City of Vancouver, 1987a). Construction on only these land types helped to reduce community fears that the development was out of character for the local area and that re-development within the station precincts would compromise existing lifestyles.
Note the references for that article:.

Quote:
City of Vancouver (1987a) Broadway Station area plan: Summary. City of Vancouver Planning Department, Vancouver.

City of Vancouver (1987b) Joyce Station area plan: Summary. City of Vancouver Planning Department, Vancouver.

City of Vancouver (1987c) Nanaimo/29th Avenue Station areas Plan: Summary. City of Vancouver Planning Department, Vancouver.
Here are two of them:

Broadway Station Area Plan Summary 1987
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/guidelines/B020.pdf

Nanaimo/29th Avenue Station Areas Plan Summary 1987
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/guidelines/N003.pdf

Broadway Station Area Plan

The preamble includes a tidbit about how CoV wanted to cut and cover (!!) under Commercial Drive ($14 million) but the Province didn't want to - talks broke down and the line ended up in the alley where it is today (and was never approved by the City of Vancouver along that segment).

Quote:
The Plan also tells a story that should not be quickly forgotten. It is the story of a community's fight to overcome the physical reality of ALRT in its midst.

Nanaimo/29th Avenue Station Areas Plan

Under the heading "New Development Opportunities" this plan identifies the only sites tht would be allowed to up-zone to multi-family:

Quote:
"Through discussion with the Nanaimo/29th Avenue Station Areas Planning Advisory Committee, it was agreed that wholesale redevelopment was not desirable but that residential development should be directed to sites meeting the following criteria:
- vacant city-owned sites
- sites severely impacted by ALRT
- sites zoned for uses other than residential
- sites either under-utilized or containing derelict properties.

... 21 sites were identified aong the ALRT alignment ...
... community input was received ...
Straw votes were held to determine resident support or opposition to redevelopment.
The sites recommended for rezoning and redevelopment in this chapter are the result of this process.
Maybe someone would like to compare the recommended sites with those that have actually been developed.
I think only sites 'G' (partially developed) and site 'P' have been developed. A satellite view on Google Maps shows many of the sites as vacant land and many still having single family homes.

I also found the following CD-1 Rezoning bylaws, which requires multi-family housing to be compatible with existing single family houses:

29TH AVENUE STATION AREA - CD-1 GUIDELINES
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/.../CD-1/T003.pdf

NANAIMO STATION AREA - CD-1 GUIDELINES
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/.../CD-1/N001.pdf

This is the large apartment complex next to Nanaimo Station:
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/.../CD-1/N002.pdf

Even the 2001 rezoning for the Broadway & Commercial area when the Millennium Line was built does not impose the precinct wide increases in density that are currently being proposed for the Canada Line precincts.
In 2001, the amended zoning bylaws provided for conditional zoning with height limits to be raised to a maximum of 18.4 metres but only immediately adjacent to the station.

http://former.vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/...010802/pe7.htm

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:02 AM

Introduction from the 1987 Broadway Station Area Plan:

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Metrolinx's Davenport diamond grade separation project could be a precedent.
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread....9001/page-111

They built a temporary parallel track in order to build the viaduct.
Is that viaduct for GO passenger trains or heavy rail?

The BNSF tracks are uphill going west in this section

24m where they go under highway 1
28m at Rupert
32m at Renfrew, Kaslo and Slocan where the cut starts.
Then grades are downhill through the cut to the false creek flats at 6m.

Conclusion: raising the railway on a viaduct at the top of a hill makes the grades worse in both directions. Lowering the railway in a trench would be better for grades. Perhaps we might see a combination of raising the rail bed and underpasses at Renfrew and Rupert.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
Is that viaduct for GO passenger trains or heavy rail?

The BNSF tracks are uphill going west in this section

24m where they go under highway 1
28m at Rupert
32m at Renfrew, Kaslo and Slocan where the cut starts.
Then grades are downhill through the cut to the false creek flats at 6m.

Conclusion: raising the railway on a viaduct at the top of a hill makes the grades worse in both directions. Lowering the railway in a trench would be better for grades. Perhaps we might see a combination of raising the rail bed and underpasses at Renfrew and Rupert.
The viaduct is for GO trains, so you are correct in that the trains could take steeper grades.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 5:21 PM

That Sation Plan, isn't that what we call the Norquay Plan now? I'm not that old so I've definitely never see that old station plan before.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
The Grandview-Woodland Community plan covers Commercial-Broadway Station, but not Nanaimo Station.

https://vancouver.ca/home-property-d...nity-plan.aspx
They called it a "plan" but it looks more like a "status quo" manual.

Quote:
I believe we've all had this conversation before in the Mount Pleasant thread. Yeah, you probably won't see anything above six floors.

Fixed. Lougheed, sure, but it's slight, piecemeal development; Oakridge, see below.

Correct. Point is, Burnaby and all the others have only been building tall so that they keep inside the C and I zoning or demovict "mere" renters, and won't have to touch the SFHs (Grand Bargain and all that). The height's got nothing to do with urbanism or affordability or any crap like that, and everything to do with them not having the balls to challenge suburbistan like Vancouver's doing.
Lougheed is piecemeal? Lol. You should see what's taking shape there compared to much, much older Vancouver neighbourhoods like Oakridge, Kerrisdale, Commercial-Broadway or Kitsilano, which remain low-density and highly unaffordable. You can blabber all you want about Vancouver but it is the suburb municipalities that are creating densities beautifully, and fast.

Burnaby has the guts to approve the talls to the SFH lots, meaning given time, these SFH dwellers will also have to let go of their properties if offered the right price. Vancouver is the one that lacks guts to deal with SFHs, except those along a select few arterial roads.

Height's got everything to do with urbanism and affordability, no matter how much you want to deny it.

Last edited by Vin; Dec 9, 2021 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 10:54 PM
loafing in lotusland

Interesting stuff. The Italian Cultural Centre was going to go ahead and get Bosa to redevelop their lands between Slocan and Nanaimo. It was going to be a mixed-use commercial/condo development, but the Italian community shot it down.

It has a giant parking area ripe for redevelopment.

Kind of annoying that they exclude the one residential SFH block between Renfrew and Kaslo south of Broadway. If they decided to include that, prices for that land would skyrocket... but now, it will be slowly bought up by developers while it's zoned as SFH and at a future time (sooner rather than later, I would think) they'll petition to upzone it. It's the perfect place for some mid-rises on the hill facing south.

There's also a government building on Grandview/Kaslo that has a sign up building a low-rise mixed use building.

In any case, this is a welcome change and I don't think it's too late, I think you had to wait until market forces started to really look at the area and you needed to have the broadway tech centre built out first before you looked at planning the rest of the area.

This area is more desirable than the Gilmore area IMHO, being within walking distance of Commercial Drive.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 11:07 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
They called it a "plan" but it looks more like a "status quo" manual.

Lougheed is piecemeal? Lol. You should see what's taking shape there compared to much, much older Vancouver neighbourhoods like Oakridge, Kerrisdale, Commercial-Broadway or Kitsilano, which remain low-density and highly unaffordable. You can blabber all you want about Vancouver but it is the suburb municipalities that are creating densities beautifully, and fast.

Burnaby has the guts to approve the talls to the SFH lots, meaning given time, these SFH dwellers will also have to let go of their properties if offered the right price. Vancouver is the one that lacks guts to deal with SFHs, except those along a select few arterial roads.

Height's got everything to do with urbanism and affordability, no matter how much you want to deny it.
I agree that Burnaby's got more guts when it comes to density, but I disagree that you need skyscrapers for density. I think most places end up being more livable when you allow for medium density over a larger area instead of large towers.

I DESPISE the so-called SFHs in much of East Vancouver. They typically are NOT SFH at ALL... they're mini-fiefdoms, with any new build having a minimum of 2 suites (one illegal) and a laneway. The city has never enforced the rules and so it has led to SFHs being overvalued. What you end up with is mouldy basement suites instead of innovative solutions like row-housing or small-scale PROPER density. You end up with a city of SFHs, none of which actually have a single family. Some of these SFHs have 40' wide lots. New SFH builds in the valley have 25' lots, which don't allow mini-fiefdoms other than a single suite in the basement.

The Average lot size in Vancouver is 33', so why not add an incentive to buying up two adjacent 33' lots and allowing 3x22' lots. You could either choose to build a triplex or 3 skinny homes. AT the same time a moratorium on laneway homes... or at LEAST enforcement of ONE SUITE per home OR a laneway home... like they do in North Vancouver.

If you want more density, you subdivide. Plain and simple.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
There's also a government building on Grandview/Kaslo that has a sign up building a low-rise mixed use building.
https://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applic...whwy/index.htm

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I don't know all the details about it, but everything I've heard says that project is dead.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Feel free to compare how many low-density homes Lougheed is rezoning against any of those CoV neighbourhoods. It will lose. Once they run out of warehouses, that's all the density Burnaby will ever have unless they follow Vancouver.

Any new "talls" or even "shorts" proposed/U-C in Garden Village or Lochdale, like in Dunbar, Oak or Grandview-Woodland? Nope. They're rezoning a tiny chunk of Bainbridge Avenue for lowrises, and that's it.

Yes, Brentwood's extra 1-bedroom condos starting at half a million CAD are really going to help the metro's affordability. Nothing at all to do with NIMBYism everywhere else in the area or developers' pockets...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 12:52 AM

Burnaby is still kicking people out of low rise affordable apartments to make way for new towers.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:43 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
You should see what's taking shape there compared to much, much older Vancouver neighbourhoods like Oakridge

Burnaby has the guts to approve the talls to the SFH lots, meaning given time, these SFH dwellers will also have to let go of their properties if offered the right price.
You mean the Oakridge that is currently adding 2,600 residential units and doubling its commercial space?

Can you also provide some specific examples of the Burnaby projects being built on SFH lots? Every project in Metrotown so far has consisted of tearing down low-rise apartment blocks. The SFH to the south of Imperial and to the north of Grange have not been touched. And from my recollection, the other projects around the city have also replaced low-rise residential or shopping malls.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Kind of annoying that they exclude the one residential SFH block between Renfrew and Kaslo south of Broadway. If they decided to include that, prices for that land would skyrocket... but now, it will be slowly bought up by developers while it's zoned as SFH and at a future time (sooner rather than later, I would think) they'll petition to upzone it. It's the perfect place for some mid-rises on the hill facing south.
The study area includes SF homes as they're within the station areas, but we have to wait until Q1 2022 to see what their direction is. The highlit areas on the diagrams I think people see are just previous special designated areas already within the study boundary.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 9:12 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
You mean the Oakridge that is currently adding 2,600 residential units and doubling its commercial space?

Can you also provide some specific examples of the Burnaby projects being built on SFH lots? Every project in Metrotown so far has consisted of tearing down low-rise apartment blocks. The SFH to the south of Imperial and to the north of Grange have not been touched. And from my recollection, the other projects around the city have also replaced low-rise residential or shopping malls.
I'm actually NOT a fan of replacing low-rises with high rises. Those low rises were actually more affordable than the SFH around them. Tearing down low-rises to put in high-rises while keeping SFHs at the periphery is gutless, if you ask me. This region only seems to know how to do one thing... glass boxes in the sky.

Look at a FAR more livable city like Tokyo and you even see affordable SFHs inside the city limits. Sure, there's on a small parcel of land, but it will be mixed in with 6-story apartments, some commercial, a rice paddy here and there and high-rises.

Vancouver's making a LITTLE progress with the duplex zoning, which will HOPEFULLY FINALLY start to address the craptastic laneway home mistakes that were made previously.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... laneway homes were approved for ONE reason... to make it harder to rezone SFHs. A laneway home increases the value of a property and forces anyone who wants to own a home to become a landlord with 3 tenants ( one in the legal suite, one in the illegal one, one in the laneway ).

Seriously, that's approaching mini apartment sizes. but with the constant feeling of living in someone else's home... which it's not. If you're renting a suite, it's YOUR home... in someone else's HOUSE... it's different.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 5:39 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
I'm actually NOT a fan of replacing low-rises with high rises.
You're preaching to the choir. I think some low rises are in such bad condition due to neglect and poor construction that they should be replaced, but it's unfortunate that Burnaby is demolishing properties with medium-high density to make way for towers, instead of SFH. It would be one thing if all SFH zoning restrictions were relaxed, paving the way to replace those demolished low-rises with new ones...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I'm actually NOT a fan of replacing low-rises with high rises. Those low rises were actually more affordable than the SFH around them. Tearing down low-rises to put in high-rises while keeping SFHs at the periphery is gutless, if you ask me. This region only seems to know how to do one thing... glass boxes in the sky.
I do agree as well.

I can get on board with replacing low-rises with high rises IF the region would up zone SFH areas to accommodate the displaced low-rises at the same time.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 1:03 AM

Quote:
But in Vancouver, and these days Burnaby and Coquitlam, any rental has to be replaced either onsite (usually in the podium) or nearby, and with non-market units. So they're as affordable, or cheaper than market units, and they're controlled outside the market and should stay affordable. In those three municipalities where a great many tower projects are replacing older rental buildings, there should be no loss of affordable housing.

Quote:
Look at a FAR more livable city like Tokyo and you even see affordable SFHs inside the city limits. Sure, there's on a small parcel of land, but it will be mixed in with 6-story apartments, some commercial, a rice paddy here and there and high-rises.
Oh come on, Tokyo? Where one of their biggest housing problems is hundreds of thousands of abandoned homes? And a falling population. Not any sort of relevant comparison. "Unlike in other countries, Japanese homes gradually depreciate over time, becoming completely valueless within 20 or 30 years." [source]

Last edited by Changing City; Dec 12, 2021 at 1:16 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues