HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 2:56 AM

Gastown Steam Clock

While not directly related to the BLM movement, it was sort of depressing to see the Hogan's Alley backers trying to convince people that the Gastown Steam Clock (circa 1978) was built as a linchpin to prevent the destruction of the area by activists (probably mostly funded by the local BIA) since none of the buildings in the area were historical. ie. They couldn't make Hogan's Alley a historical landmark in time to build the viaducts.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 5:20 AM

I can't wait for the current fad to be over and for media to move on to the next thing to be offended by. Some idiots were already vandalizing the statue of George Vancouver the other day in the name of justice. Our society is regressing so fast.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I can't wait for the current fad to be over and for media to move on to the next thing to be offended by. Some idiots were already vandalizing the statue of George Vancouver the other day in the name of justice. Our society is regressing so fast.
Amen.

I hope that the outrage will be redirected by the media towards something stupid like a second "invasion" of Area 51.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 5:39 AM

It’s nice to see Kalzu’s(another privileged white male)true colours. Since when was it a bad thing we removed colonial/racist statues?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 5:44 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_Highrise View Post
It’s nice to see Kalzu’s(another privileged white male)true colours. Since when was it a bad thing we removed colonial/racist statues?
What exactly is the problem with Captain George Vancouver?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 6:52 AM

If you don’t know what’s wrong with George Vancouver maybe you should dig a little deeper. It’s typical that someone who is privileged would be happy to see this “fad” pass.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 6:58 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
If you don’t know what’s wrong with George Vancouver maybe you should dig a little deeper. It’s typical that someone who is privileged would be happy to see this “fad” pass.
Please enlighten me on Captain George Vancouver’s horrific past.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 7:52 AM

My understanding is that Vancouver generally had a very good relationship with First Nations he encountered during his expeditions. I would be very surprised if anyone attacked him based off his individual character.

However, I can absolutely understand if people are critical of what his expeditions represented, British colonization and imperialism which were very in vogue at the time. I personally don't think it's something worth attacking Vancouver over though.

If anyone has any evidence that Vancouver himself was not someone worthy of a statue I'd love to become more informed.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 9:23 AM
perhaps . . .

Why do people, from time to time, love to parade their stupidity and bigotry in front of everyone. What do they get out of it, besides getting that hefty emotional release that comes with getting the pit of one's being laid bare?

Political correctness cuts both ways. It seems to give cover for white supremacists to label social movements as 'fads,' lynching and police murder as things to be 'offended' by, and to be outraged over paint thrown on a statue instead of the death of even a single person.

Sorry Klazu: you should have come out of the closet sooner. You and wifee looked so nice on your little outings. I was a little put off by your self-impressed records of cars and condos, but everyone needs their ego. But, lately? Well, your photos aren't worth your sheer idiocy: "Our society is regressing so fast." What a load of shit.

And Scryer, well your 'amen' to the above 'preacher' is hardly unexpected. Pile on, uneducated (degrees don't count) stupid people.

Last edited by Marshal; Jun 14, 2020 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
What exactly is the problem with Captain George Vancouver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Please enlighten me on Captain George Vancouver’s horrific past.
I think this is a carry-over of the Politically-Correct-White-Guilt-Trip-Chic Syndrome. It is fashionable (and therefore desirable to be seen that way by their peers) right now.
The "trip" involves beating oneslef up for being white, condemning any and all white (European) settlers, explorers .... and rallying around the calls against 'colonialist, racist, imperialist' figures. That said, there are individuals who were indeed such. This requires research as to who to condemn and who not to condemn. However, what happens is blanket condemnation and a historic nihilism.
We are to ('we' the offspring of Europeans) condemn ourselves for whatever transpired before us because we are white. Not to do so infers chauvinism.
IMHO, it is important to acknowledge the injustices done to the First Nations. However, under PC-ism, that extends to doing the maximum to wiping out history, be it good or not.
Thereonin, it is subjective as to whether or not is is constructive to do so.
The 'consensus' seems to imply that the wiping out must be done as a gesture of reconciliation.
And it serves a a sort of 'moral balm' not only to assuage one's own guilty feelings for what "we" have done, but to adopt a position of social and attitudinal acceptability .....
(often, unfortuantely, as a Pavlovian response, rather than as a well-thought-through follow-up to what may be justifiable or unjustifiable statements of dissent)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Why do people, from time to time, love to parade their stupidity and bigotry in front of everyone. What do they get out of it, besides getting that hefty emotional release that comes with getting the pit of one's being laid bare?

Political correctness cuts both ways. It seems to give cover for white supremacists to label social movements as 'fads,' lynching and police murder as things to be 'offended' by, and to be outraged over paint thrown on a statue instead of the death of even a single person.

Sorry Klazu: you should have come out of the closet sooner. You and wifee looked so nice on your little outings. I was a little put off by your self-impressed records of cars and condos, but everyone needs their ego. But, lately? Well, your photos aren't worth your sheer idiocy: "Our society is regressing so fast." What a load of shit.

And Scryer, well your 'amen' to the above 'preacher' is hardly unexpected. Pile on, uneducated (degrees don't count) stupid people.
This was all expected coming from the sheepy left... Do you have a checklist with you when you write these kinds of posts these days?

1. Parrot whatever the mainstream media is feeding you. CHECK.
2. Accuse "X" of racism for having a different view than what's being pushed by the mainstream media even though you never met them in real life? CHECK.
3. Express SJW outrage instead of opening a dialogue and a clear set of actions for change? CHECK.
4. Encourage the destruction of historical public property paid for by the tax-payers? CHECK.
5. Push a view with a narrative that it can't be challenged because otherwise you are labeled some sort of societal scourge? CHECK.
6. Focus on the problem and hurling insults; not develop a vision for a meaningful inclusive future? CHECK.

The Canada that I know would learn from America's mistakes and become preemptive in working to improve conditions in social issues like police brutality and systemic racism. Where does the destruction of our history come into play when trying to better our society? Do you not understand that by destroying history and re-writing it to fit a certain narrative that we can no longer learn from the past? Do you not understand that the significance of statues, art, etc, as it stands in that period of time serves as a totem for a perspective that was being expressed at that time; and that if we erase that perspective then it can be repeated? History repeats itself if it is not learned and the blatant destruction of historical sites makes the rioters no better than the ISIS/ISIL destruction and vandalism of various ancient historical sites around the world.

Now I know what you're going to say, "you support Nazi memorabilia, duurr.." (and I would almost let you fall for that trap so that you can feel the steely guillotine of my reply to that bigoted comment) but I am not talking about protecting Nazi memorabilia rather I am talking about protecting a relevant part of Vancouver's history that shouldn't be forgotten or re-written. The colonization of Canada is as much a part of the history of the Native American tribes as it is a part of the history of the settlers.

Instead of encouraging violence and the destruction of property over an American series of outrages, why don't you start at home by pushing for some of the following solutions/addressing the following Canadian social issues:

1. Hold the Liberal government accountable for not being able to make good on its promises to bring clean drinking water to native reserves in CANADA since 2014. Autumn Peltier spoke to the goddamn UN about the state of native reserves in Canada. You'll tear down statues and historic landmarks for police brutality in America (where it honestly is NOT near as bad as it is here) but you don't have any room in your heart for outrage for the many native communities that go WITHOUT drinking water?! These reserves have been scraping by for DECADES without a basic. Human. Right. Want to talk about systemic racism - let's start there!

2. Hold all levels of government accountable for the massive amount of missing indigenous girls and women in Canada. In 2019 the National Inquiry on Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and girls found that the acts of violence constituted itself to be a genocide - and yet you AREN'T outraged over that issue?

3. Push for further support and investments in our more northern communities and indigenous reserves. Northern communities are continually cut off from the southern population. We can start with better road access and improved healthcare facilities that have state-of-the-art medical equipment. The lack of access and economic investments to the north is indeed a form of systemic racism. There is also quite a bit of underreported violence that goes on up north.

A good example of government neglect that comes to mind is that in Churchill MB the provincial government neglected a railroad there which is now defunct. Because there isn't a road built to Churchill, you can only get there by boat or plane. I bring this example up because MB's bad judgement reflects upon the country as a whole from the outside looking in.

4. Hold PM Trudeau accountable for wearing black face. If he had any sense of honour or solvency, he would have stepped down and allowed his Deputy Prime Minister to finish his term. I'm not sure if this is politically possible but when you've lost count as to how many times you wore black face in your life then you gotta do something better than apologize to a couple of black kids on TV. IJS it's embarrassing to desire to live in a place where you are valued for your merit (rather than the colour of your skin) when you have JT putting a banana down his pants more than once and then can't remember how many times he has done it. It's DISGUSTING that there isn't public outrage for that!

5. Push for Police transparency. Body-cams on EVERY officer with the footage being uploaded on a public website operated independently from the police. The media will have a hard time trying to spin a story when the full arrest is uploaded in an accessible place.

Whether accessibility to the footage is a breach of privacy is another issue for another post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The police have a very tough job to perform, and we should respect their efforts in maintaining a civil society, but the police should not be the first line responder to situations where criminality is not the first intent. For the mentally ill, the vulnerable, the panhandlers, vagrants and the homeless, there should be a rapid response social work team instead, who could work with police back-up in potentially threatening or hostile situations. This would be far more appropriate, and would save lives.
I stole this from the racism thread but I definitely think that it could be worth a try? It's at least a solution being put forth to better enforce law and order with a social task force of some kind. You can continue discussion on this aspect here. I'm just copying it over here since it could be a really great idea if executed well.

The current destruction and rampant vandalism is barbaric without reason because none of these Canadian issues are getting solved or even getting pushed. A lot of this violence comes from people piggy-backing off of the horrific events that has happened in the states. The mainstream media just repeats that these riots are being held in solidarity with what has happened in the States - which I understand but what I don't understand is that our systemic racism issues aren't being addressed during ANY of this outrage.

Is there a problem with police brutality? Yes. But not to the American extent (any extent is bad really). But no one is fighting for a real solution for Canada's police brutality. Defunding the police is asinine because if you defund the police then you are directly funding vigilante justice. And trust me: you would rather want to see a badge than to have to stare into the cold black iron eyes of a shotgun. But I digress... My point is that the blind outrage is trumping any intellectual discussion where solutions can be legitimately tabled.

Will destroying statues and landmarks make things better? No. Especially when we have bigger racial issues to iron out. If anything, why not build statues right beside George Vancouver and Lord Stanley to balance perspectives? It would be much more educational that way, pleasant for EVERYONE, and a step in the right direction for further reconciliation. Last I checked those guys weren't Hitler or Stalin... and the fucking Steam Clock was anything but a dictator!

So that you don't get it twisted...

People have a right to protest and I support peaceful protests.

What I don't support is meaningless violence - which this is: I have yet to see any specific Canadian issues being at the forefront of these attacks (nevermind benefitting from them) like I described above. There was also no natural build up to the violent Canadian outrage either; as soon as things were set off in the states, Canada pretty much started getting violent in blind-solidarity without valuing Canadian issues over American issues.

And lastly I do understand that there is a difference between rioters and protestors. I have clearly seen examples of both during these disturbing times.

I normally don't participate in these bullshit vapid political discussions over obvious observations but hey, this was good to just get out of my system. I've probably been quoted on this but I thought I would re-word that part of my post since I honestly don't plan to come back to this thread: I don't typically visit this forum for political discussions, I visit it on the merit that it is quite informative with city development topics that I prefer to stick to. Me "gracing" this thread with my appearance was a rare one and probably one of the last times I'll do it until after November 2020.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Jun 14, 2020 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
What I don't support is meaningless violence - which this is: I have yet to see any specific Canadian issues being at the forefront of these attacks (nevermind benefitting from them) like I described above. There was also no natural build up to the violent Canadian outrage either; as soon as things were set off in the states, Canada pretty much started getting violent in blind-solidarity without valuing Canadian issues over American issues.

And lastly I do understand that there is a difference between rioters and protestors. I have clearly seen examples of both during these disturbing times.

I normally don't participate in these bullshit vapid political discussions over obvious observations but hey, this was good to just get out of my system.
Have Canadian protests been violent? Nothing that I've seen. Some paint on a statue (I don't agree with) and the VPD arrested 2 people at the last protest who were conspiracy nuts trying to start something with the peaceful demonstrators.

As for issues, we have serious problems with the RCMP and other police and their interactions with First Nations. Just check the news, 2 were killed in separate incidents in the maritimes very recently.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 5:46 PM

Quote:

Amen to that.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 6:04 PM

Quote:

What a nasty, mean-spirited little post. Especially from someone who apparently hasn't apparently discovered how to use the camera in his phone in five years. Thanks for your "contributions".

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
(another privileged white male)true colours
Hoo-boy... where to start. I suppose gender-specific racism gets a free pass in your world?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
It’s nice to see Klazu’s (another privileged white male) true colours. Since when was it a bad thing we removed colonial/racist statues?
I am not sure why you are jumping to attack a person rather than making your counter-argument on the matter itself? When I was in school, we were told that attacking the persona rather than the matter at hand, is always a sign of weakness in one's ability to reason with proper argumentation.

To be sure that I am not confused, though, I did also check the dictionary for the meaning of the word you tried putting in my mouth. To my confusion, the definition doesn't include working hard in school and working hard for what you have being part of the definition, so I am not sure what you are trying to say?

Coming from Europe where there is a wealth of history everywhere, I embrace history and what it can tell us. Some of it is bad but all of it is fascinating. I think learning about the history can really help us avoid bad things in the future as there is no changing the past. To that argument, I find removing history by removing statues etc can hide the dangerous things that have happened and make the society more prone to repeat past mistakes.

I was planning on visiting Egypt this year, but of course had to change my plans. Whenever I finally get there, I won't start pulling down statues of long gone pharaohs on something that happened long time ago. Instead, I will try to learn about their time and what drove them to do such things, to be able to better reason when dangerous examples start manifesting in current times.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I was planning on visiting Egypt this year, but of course had to change my plans. Whenever I finally get there, I won't start pulling down statues of long gone pharaohs on something that happened long time ago. Instead, I will try to learn about their time and what drove them to do such things, to be able to better reason when dangerous examples start manifesting in current times.
I'm sure you're aware that statues and memorials have constantly been raised and pulled down across Europe - and continue to be contentious objects today in many places.

When you get to Egypt you won't need to pull down any statues, but you will be able to admire how over thousands of years almost every significant statue and panel was deliberately damaged by subsequent generations.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 9:28 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
What a nasty, mean-spirited little post. Especially from someone who apparently hasn't apparently discovered how to use the camera in his phone in five years. Thanks for your "contributions".
Such outrage. A provocation is what crosses your line? Sorry, its open season on bigotry. The reasonable majority is tired of discussing this nonsense.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 10:00 PM
perhaps . . .

scryer
You put in the effort of a detailed response, so I have done the same.

"the sheepy left"
- that's a good piece of reasoning

"mainstream media"
- no such thing: there is a spectrum of media across perspectives, and journalistic qualities: from the deceptive and stupid to the unbiased and intelligent. You choose where you want to be.

"Accuse "X" of racism for having a different view"
- No, not a different view, a racist view (with Klazu its there but is being revealed implicitly (today they are saying 'with dog whistling').

"even though you never met them in real life?"
- besides being irrelevant, you are confusing two things: 1) a person, and 2) the written views of a participant on a forum.

"instead of opening a dialogue"
- you think everything is worth a dialogue? It's not, especially something based in ignorance which has been discussed ad infinitum. If we thought everything was worth a dialogue we would never get past anything. Bigotry and stupidity are not worth more dialogue. That has been done, and though we are in a retrograde period, progress is marching on anyway. Bigots have had their time, now they need to go back to quiet lives.
"the destruction of historical public property"
- don't be naive: that's exactly how history moves: new institutions replace old and take their 'statues' to the museum.
- destruction? by paint? Even where things have been literally toppled, they have been recovered for future display.

"a narrative that it can't be challenged - otherwise you are labeled some sort of societal scourge?"
- sure, just check the box on this one. If you defend something odious, you are who you say you are. Life lovers don't defend murderers, just the death penalty.

"hurling insults"
- insults to that kind, descriptions to the rest of us. (Yes, statistics show you to be a small minority).

"not develop a vision"
- like I said, that has been done and is being pushed forward: I don't need to engage on this, enough space has already been taken up, as it it.

"The Canada that I know would learn from America's mistakes and become preemptive in working to improve conditions in social issues like police brutality and systemic racism."
- Canada has already done that and is continuing to do so: meaning there is work to do. The US, likewise, has done and is doing the same (It's a complex country.). These ideologies just need to get out of the way.

"Where does the destruction of our history come into play when trying to better our society? Do you not understand that by destroying history and re-writing it to fit a certain narrative that we can no longer learn from the past?"
- being mean, this is what I mean by 'stupid' and uneducated (I apologize): History is never destroyed, it lives on in the material and cultural life of everyone, country, civilization. It can't be destroyed. It is always rewritten. Hitler's history (he recorded one) was rewritten and continues to be so. This is part of how cultures move through time.

"if we erase that perspective then it can be repeated?"
- first: history repeats itself endlessly, only in new iterations. Your statement, coming from the well known quotation(of many authors) is simply not true. If you read Edmund Burke, you will see he didn't even mean it to be literally true.
- there are many examples of erased perspectives (including those that were prevented in the first place), but not erased histories.

"the blatant destruction of historical sites"
- this is not happening. Damage yes, destruction no. And the damage has been negligible in the big picture.

"Now I know what you're going to say, "you support Nazi memorabilia, duurr.." (and I would almost let you fall for that trap so that you can feel the steely guillotine of my reply to that bigoted comment) but I am not talking about protecting Nazi memorabilia rather I am talking about protecting a relevant part of Vancouver's history that shouldn't be forgotten or re-written. The colonization of Canada is as much a part of the history of the Native American tribes as it is a part of the history of the settlers."
- I am unsure what you think my thoughts are, but I support preserving historical Nazi artifacts. Sure, no Hitler statues in Braunau am Inn, but everything they ever produced should be in museums and archives. If you are talking about George Vancouver, acknowledging that I do not know enough, the fact he was a tool of colonization is not enough for me to condemn him. If he himself does not represent barbaric genocidal views, and was a man of his time, caught up in his culture, then his position should remain. It's the historical figures that promulgated hatred and maltreatment that need to be moved aside (aside, not destroyed).
- your statement about colonization - I fully agree. It happened, its a fact that has lead to the present world - it has also been a mechanism of power and change that has existed since man first developed the polis, and the sate.

"why don't you start at home by pushing"
- I will, and do, push for my own items, thank-you. At least be consistent. You fault criticism based on the critic not having met the subject in person, but, without meeting me, you would like to tell me how to expend my efforts.

"1. Hold the Liberal government accountable for not being able to make good on its promises to bring clean drinking water to native reserves in CANADA since 2014."
- We agree totally on this. So, what have you done? I have discussed this with my MP and written letters to Trudeau and Indian Affairs: reconciliation must start with clean water, connection (roads, internet), decent housing, health care, economic possibility - ASAP!!! Then it might be meaningful to name places and acknowledge our existence on once native unceeded lands.

"2. Hold all levels of government accountable for the massive amount of missing indigenous girls and women in Canada."
- same, fully agree.

"3. Push for further support and investments in our more northern communities and indigenous reserves. Northern communities are continually cut off from the southern population. We can start with better road access and improved healthcare facilities that have state-of-the-art medical equipment. The lack of access and economic investments to the north is indeed a form of systemic racism. There is also quite a bit of underreported violence that goes on up north."
- same, fully agree.

"4. Hold PM Trudeau accountable for wearing black face."
"a place where you are valued for your merit (rather than the colour of your skin)"
- 'valued for your merit' is should also trump certain past mistakes that can be judged as having been overcome. One can judge that either way without being irrational. I can accept your position.

5. Push for Police transparency. Body-cams on EVERY officer with the footage being uploaded on a public website operated independently from the police. The media will have a hard time trying to spin a story when the full arrest is uploaded in an accessible place.
- this may or may not be productive, but can only improve access to the truth. The police need to have their role redefined and need to be retrained regarding 1) that they are not the ultimate authority in all situations, 2) violent force is a last resort, maintaining human life is an overriding imperative. 3) they serve, they don't own the public or public space, . . .

Whether accessibility to the footage is a breach of privacy is another issue for another post.

"6. I stole this from the racism thread but I definitely think that it could be worth a try? It's at least a solution being put forth to better enforce law and order with a social task force of some kind."
- sure.

"is barbaric without reason"
- this is a panicked overstatement.

"systemic racism issues aren't being addressed during ANY of this outrage"
"blind outrage is trumping any intellectual discussion"
- partly true, partly not. Look deeper.

"Is there a problem with police brutality? Yes. But not to the American extent"
- there is no scientific support for this either way.

"Defunding the police is asinine because if you defund the police then you are directly funding vigilante justice."
- again, too hysterical: the majority use of the term "de-funding" means looking at police functions and budgets in the light of asking if there are better ways to do things and how that could be paid for. It is a term like 'black lives matter:' it is literal, but also means a more nuanced idea: a symbolic phrase asking that the state look into how to fairly apply its power across the racial spectrum. There are extremist, but like bigots, they need not take up space at the table. So, 'all lives matter' is a phrase that, while true, misses the whole point.

"Will destroying statues and landmarks make things better? No. Especially when we have bigger racial issues to iron out. If anything, why not build statues right beside George Vancouver and Lord Stanley to balance perspectives? It would be much more educational that way, pleasant for EVERYONE, and a step in the right direction for further reconciliation. Last I checked those guys weren't Hitler or Stalin... and the fucking Steam Clock was anything but a dictator!"
- hyperbole, very few items are being destroyed. Sure build statues beside, but maybe also, take some to museums and replace them with ones that better reflect our times. (Statues are erected to serve their own time, they are not a history school. They become historical just with time, but we are free, like all civilizations have been, to treat our history so that it reflects ourselves. The function of 'educating' needs a much more complex practice than individual statues can provide: we educate our young people to appreciate our statues, not the other way around.
- pleasant for everyone: sorry, the world is a tougher more demanding place than that.
- one need not be Hitler or Stalin to be very bad - plus, figures can also sometimes, represent larger issues, actions, etc., like colonization. The use of disease in an attempt to knowingly kill off entire peoples, is pretty bad. If you helped lead that effort and then had statues built by the people who took over, well maybe its time to go to the history museum and out of the town square.

"this was good to just get out of my system."
- this means you appreciate my post above: a provocation.

Last edited by Marshal; Jun 14, 2020 at 11:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Such outrage. A provocation is what crosses your line? Sorry, its open season on bigotry. The reasonable majority is tired of discussing this nonsense.
No you were a jerk, plain and simple. Don't try to cloak your pettiness in social justice outrage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues