HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:22 AM

Assuming they hit the higher population projection (18 000), the Jericho Lands would be more than twice as dense as the West end is now. Not sure if this is the opening salvo in negotiation with the locals, or if that's the actual intention of the development plan. Given the abundance of amenities already there, and a probable Skytrain station, those population projections are appropriate.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Assuming they hit the higher population projection (18 000), the Jericho Lands would be more than twice as dense as the West end is now. Not sure if this is the opening salvo in negotiation with the locals, or if that's the actual intention of the development plan. Given the abundance of amenities already there, and a probable Skytrain station, those population projections are appropriate.
Yep looks good to me. You'd think local businesses would be excited about all of the new potential customers. We'll see though.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:37 PM

Where are the ground level views? Definitely prefer the first concept over the 2nd one with the generic street grid. I appreciate the idea of the diagonal axis and sightline towards downtown from the high ground, but it's hard to tell whether they opened it up enough or is it going to be like one of the dumber viewcones. Overall it looks about 50% too dense and tall for my liking. Would have hoped for more porosity across the site and views through to the mountains, and less contrast between the mid-rises and the towers, which stick out like sore thumbs.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The thing most people forget is that it might be twice the current Point Grey 2021 population by full build out in something like 2045.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
The thing most people forget is that it might be twice the current Point Grey 2021 population by full build out in something like 2045.
It'll be more than double - there were only 13,000 people living in West Point Grey in 2016, only 181 more than 20 years earlier. So it's seen no growth in decades; (it's only 1,200 more than in 1971) - this will be a huge change. Presumably the other proposed station locations will also see some redevelopment too, although probably not on quite this scale.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:03 PM

They could've added new people in gradually over the last fifty years, but chose not to... so now we gotta do it all at once. Hard to feel sorry for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yep looks good to me. You'd think local businesses would be excited about all of the new potential customers. We'll see though.
Hard to see why they wouldn't - Point Grey Village has been on life support for a while now. Though it might be a bit of a walk, all the way up the hill from near Alma.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Seems like this would speed up a UBC extension if anything.

They have zero control on the development, the sooner they come to that realization the more realistic their input will be.
It would be ridiculous for the Feds and the province not to fund an extension given this kind of density.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It would be ridiculous for the Feds and the province not to fund an extension given this kind of density.
Agreed.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:23 PM

I can't imagine they'd do a separate station for Sasamat, but this station location is quite far from W10th... seems about a couple hundred metres too far northeast to serve both areas.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:42 PM

Technically, Alma-Jericho-Sasamat is actually a wider spacing than Lansdowne-Brighouse. Ditto Patterson-Metrotown.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I can't imagine they'd do a separate station for Sasamat, but this station location is quite far from W10th... seems about a couple hundred metres too far northeast to serve both areas.
But is makes more sense to be closer to the beach and central in the new development versus being one block closer to West 10th.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:06 PM

Where are they visioning the Skytrain site being on the Jericho grounds? Kind of curious for them to not indicate this since you'd think that the entire design hinges on this key piece of the puzzle.

Given that access to the beach would be a key feature of the Skytrain stop, somewhere on the eastern side of the site with most direct access would make sense.

But then it seems like a heavier portion of the density is on the western side of the parcel. Weird.

Edit:

Oh looking at the map Alma is closer than I remember so a stop at Alma will cover that eastern side of the parcel I guess. That makes me think they're probably weighting the stop to somewhere on the western side.

Design doesn't really feel like there's a friendly eastern pedestrian interface if they expect people are walking to Alma.

I dunno the whole thing is kinda weird in that you'd think it would be clear as day where the core feature of this development is, where everyone is walking to and from. There's one or two buildings in the centre that I'd guess at.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukmuk64 View Post
Where are they visioning the Skytrain site being on the Jericho grounds? Kind of curious for them to not indicate this since you'd think that the entire design hinges on this key piece of the puzzle.

Given that access to the beach would be a key feature of the Skytrain stop, somewhere on the eastern side of the site with most direct access would make sense.

But then it seems like a heavier portion of the density is on the western side of the parcel. Weird.

Edit:

Oh looking at the map Alma is closer than I remember so a stop at Alma will cover that eastern side of the parcel I guess. That makes me think they're probably weighting the stop to somewhere on the western side.

Design doesn't really feel like there's a friendly eastern pedestrian interface if they expect people are walking to Alma.

I dunno the whole thing is kinda weird in that you'd think it would be clear as day where the core feature of this development is, where everyone is walking to and from. There's one or two buildings in the centre that I'd guess at.
From the previous page "three iconic 'sentinel buildings' next to the transit hub" - does that help work out where they're suggesting the station should be? I don't think the developers care too much whether it serves the beach; they care whether it serves their development - especially if they're putting funds into the cost of the SkyTrain station

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukmuk64 View Post

Edit:

The station is currently being envisioned for the northwest corner of the site.

It's hard to grasp how large this part of Vancouver really is, as for example if (when) there is a station at Broadway/Alma, it wouldn't be close enough to provide the required service range for the Jericho Lands, ditto for one at Sasamat.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Northwest corner would be on 4th Ave.
Do you mean southwest corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Bunch of photos from the presentation from Peter Meiszner's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/PeterMeiszner
I really don't see why the 3 tallest towers need to be close to each other.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:10 PM

Seems like it's in the center of their site (north/south).. So it's hard to say it's NW or SW.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:17 PM

I consider it in the northwest corner, as it's at the base of the three sentinel towers, which are in the northwest quadrant.

I assume the rational with keeping the three sentinels together is to reflect the three nation's connection/partnership.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:

It's hard to grasp how large this part of Vancouver really is, as for example if (when) there is a station at Broadway/Alma, it wouldn't be close enough to provide the required service range for the Jericho Lands, ditto for one at Sasamat.
It's not that far.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
northwest quadrant.
That makes more sense.

Quote:
I assume the rational with keeping the three sentinels together is to reflect the three nation's connection/partnership.
I guess the 3 towers will also have designs representative of each nation.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
From the previous page "three iconic 'sentinel buildings' next to the transit hub" - does that help work out where they're suggesting the station should be? I don't think the developers care too much whether it serves the beach; they care whether it serves their development - especially if they're putting funds into the cost of the SkyTrain station
If there's anything the city should be leading the way on here with developer following direction it should be the issue of where the Skytrain goes on the site.

The Skytrain site location has implications on much more than just the Jericho land development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues