HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 12:23 AM

The floorplate is L-shaped, so it doesn't have full site coverage right now.
Not sure what the current density is versus what might be allowed.
It would be nice open up the ground floor for more retail.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 1:15 AM

City Hall Campus article by the Hive:

The "mall" could just be an underground passage from the NE corner.

Quote:
When asked about the overall City Hall campus expansion potential scope, Danica Djurkovic, the Director of Facilities Planning and Development with the City of Vancouver, was unable to elaborate on any possible retail component but described it as a “mixed-use project that will successfully integrate the Broadway and Cambie transit stations and enhance people movement in this busy intersection.”

She also said a future City Hall campus is expected to include new City Council chambers, public counters and other public spaces, offices, and a significantly improved public realm.

According to the City’s 2018 Corporate Plan, a new City Hall campus would reduce the municipal government’s reliance on leased workspace, as several major departments are currently scattered at neighbouring office buildings such as 515 West 10th Avenue (Licensing and Permitting) and Crossroads at 507 West Broadway (Engineering Services).
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/broad...-shopping-mall

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 11:40 PM
BANNED

An indicator of things to come:

The 28 storey proposed development on the former Dennys on West Broadway with a 10.7 FSR. The decision about this tower should serve to decide how dense the city plans to go with Broadway in the future.

https://www.vancourier.com/real-esta...ing-1.23633396
https://pricetags.ca/2018/12/19/its-...s-the-message/

The 13 & 11 storey proposed hotel development on West Broadway with a 8.38 FSR near the hospital. Again, the decision will give a good indicator of Broadway's future.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/878-...ancouver-hotel
https://rezoning.vancouver.ca/applic...dway/index.htm

Its looking like property values are getting over $2000/sqft (land value) for C3-A properties as they approach the Granville Broadway intersection. I'm guessing people are predicting that Granville & Broadway will see the highest density, likely because there's already some towers in South Granville. 1451 W. Broadway sold for ~$2400/sqft (assessed at $8.82) but its right beside the station so I assume its an abnormality. RM-3 is going for half that or less.

Sale prices per sqft decrease drastically when you go over to Arbutus or Oak.

Given that there is an office supply crunch and because commercial doesn't carry the same negative connotations maybe we will see some office towers proposed once the interim policy is over?

Last edited by misher; Feb 16, 2019 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:34 PM
BANNED

I'm excited to announce the beginning of the public consultation portion March 7th!
Please go and don't let the NIMBY's takeover!
Skyscrapers for all!

Quote:
We are excited to announce that on March 7, we will be launching a two-year planning process to create a comprehensive Broadway area plan!

The 30-year plan will focus on opportunities to integrate new housing, jobs, and amenities around the new Broadway Subway.

The plan will address the need for:

Increased job space
Deepening housing affordability
Minimizing displacement
New or improved connections
Improved parks and public spaces
New and renewed public amenities
Join us at our upcoming events to learn more about the planning process and how you can get involved. City staff will be on hand to answer questions and receive your input.

Open Houses:

CityLab, 511 W Broadway (at Cambie Street)
Thursday, March 7, 3 - 7pm
Friday, March 8, 3 - 7pm
Saturday, March 9, 12 noon - 4pm

Kitsilano Neighbourhood House, 2305 W 7th Avenue (at Vine Street)
Wednesday, March 13, 3 - 7pm

Kingsgate Mall, 370 E Broadway (at Kingsway)
Thursday, March 14, 3 - 7pm

Add these events to your calendar and create reminders on our website.
Kind regards,
The Broadway Planning Team

Get Involved!
Stay up to date, receive notifications about upcoming events and view documents and details related to the Broadway planning process. Visit the Broadway Plan webpage: vancouver.ca/broadwayplan

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Vancouver city council is considering a motion to restrict the Broadway extension portion from Arbutus to UBC to Rental Only, they will vote on it Tuesday.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/03...rain-corridor/

Quote:
The city is considering creating a rental-only zoning area for about 800 metres on either side of the proposed subway line through an “emergency” zoning policy, in efforts to curb housing speculation and protect renters and affordability around the area.

The policy would make it so most re-zoning applications won’t be considered, apart from projects that are 100 per cent social or supportive housing, community care facilities or group residences, below-market rental housing, or affordable student housing associated with educational institutions.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Vancouver city council is considering a motion to restrict the Broadway extension portion from Arbutus to UBC to Rental Only, they will vote on it Tuesday.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/03...rain-corridor/
Not sure what you're categorizing as a "restriction of the Broadway extension", but the interim motion is simply to expand the same policy that exists along Broadway to the full new extent of the subway line until the Plan is established.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Survey is now up on the site to collect your feedback.

Please please please go there and ask for more density in the other or comments section. I asked for 40+ storey towers within 800m of stations with circles of medium and low density farther out (Photo below) with medium density down Broadway. I also asked for rental on East Broadway and Strata on West Broadway. Also asked for lower DCE's as the DCE's made sense when the market was booming, not now. There's only one tab for density and its only for commercial density, but like 8 tabs for affordable/social housing. Survey feels a bit rigged towards affordable housing.

https://vancouver.ca/home-property-d...ay-plan_Vanity

Last edited by misher; Mar 8, 2019 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 5:09 AM

It's okay to go ahead and say you have a horse in this race, misher.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 6:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Haha some of the buildings I look after really want this but financially I actually lose from this since I lose clients if they get knocked down😂

But yeah Broadways my hometown so I love it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
We all have a horse in this race...

Talked to staff and I think the most interesting aspects will be on merging the various plans for the streets in the Corridor as well as the Complete Streets strategy, this could really depend on the changes to Rental 100 and the MIRHPP success / fail and any tweaks they make to that to encourage private industry building some below-market rental units. I saw and talked with some familiar faces at Avison Young, Colliers, and a few architecture firms and I saw the housing advocates were there.

Pretty basic round 1 Open House. Finally meeting with NPA and Green councillors next week so we'll see where they stand if it comes up.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 6:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
We all have a horse in this race...

Talked to staff and I think the most interesting aspects will be on merging the various plans for the streets in the Corridor as well as the Complete Streets strategy, this could really depend on the changes to Rental 100 and the MIRHPP success / fail and any tweaks they make to that to encourage private industry building some below-market rental units. I saw and talked with some familiar faces at Avison Young, Colliers, and a few architecture firms and I saw the housing advocates were there.

Pretty basic round 1 Open House. Finally meeting with NPA and Green councillors next week so we'll see where they stand if it comes up.
They mention widening sidewalks so I was wondering if there reducing Broadway to 4 lanes and expanding the sidewalk+creating a bike lane.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
It'd be disingenuous to claim anyone doesn't. Everyone primarily looks after their own interests rather than the "greater good" and I think these public surveys and open houses understand that - they just capture whose personal interests outnumber the rest.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 11:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
It'd be disingenuous to claim anyone doesn't. Everyone primarily looks after their own interests rather than the "greater good" and I think these public surveys and open houses understand that - they just capture whose personal interests outnumber the rest.
Or people who want free coffee and to play with lego.....was very surprised they have a lego station at the front door.

Honestly I was expecting a sit down forum like the Broadway skytrain consultations.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
True, but some are willing to reexamine their goals, or to compromise. 40+ is just as ridiculous as >5 (both actual comments tonight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Or people who want free coffee and to play with lego.....was very surprised they have a lego station at the front door.

Honestly I was expecting a sit down forum like the Broadway skytrain consultations.
You want toddlers running through the post-its? 'Cause without somewhere to park the kids, that's what'll happen.

Protip: "workshop" or "panel" or "town hall" usually means sitting down and talking. "Open house" usually means walking, infoboards and arguing with the reps.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 7:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
True, but some are willing to reexamine their goals, or to compromise. 40+ is just as ridiculous as >5 (both actual comments tonight).

You want toddlers running through the post-its? 'Cause without somewhere to park the kids, that's what'll happen.

Protip: "workshop" or "panel" or "town hall" usually means sitting down and talking. "Open house" usually means walking, infoboards and arguing with the reps.
Haha do you mean comments said in public there? Because it wasn’t me! I’m the guy that put the improve this postit on the park.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 8:04 PM

Has anyone who's been to the actual meetings give a recap? What is the general concensous?

Oh yeah, and the online Phase 1 survey ends April 13th.

Last edited by fredinno; Mar 19, 2019 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Has anyone who's been to the actual meetings give a recap? What is the general concensous?

These are merely meetings to gather information on the "Guiding Principles". So presenting data on transportation, employment, living, recreation, etc.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post

CityLab was a mixed bag, a couple of NIMBYs but mostly positive.

Kitsilano Neighbourhood House... let's just say that I know where Swanson, Hardwick, Condon et al get their muppets now. Not that many urban-minded people, especially because many drove from Point Grey or Arbutus Ridge.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
CityLab was a mixed bag, a couple of NIMBYs but mostly positive.

Kitsilano Neighbourhood House... let's just say that I know where Swanson, Hardwick, Condon et al get their muppets now. Not that many urban-minded people, especially because many drove from Point Grey or Arbutus Ridge.
Ok, thanks. Seems like a decent sign.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
These are merely meetings to gather information on the "Guiding Principles". So presenting data on transportation, employment, living, recreation, etc.
Yeah, that's why it's important.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues