HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:32 PM

SPD (Surrey Police Force) Discussion

I didn't see a dedicated thread for the proposed Surrey Police Force, so I thought I would create one.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:35 PM

Saw this article today on CBC.ca:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rcmp-1.4902589

I thinking having a rolling deployment would be the best way to get the force started. There is no other way you could start the force in two years.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:45 PM

I think it's ridiculous we don't have a single metro Vancouver police force. All these separate jurisdictions where half the time they don't communicate with each other is totally inefficient

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I think it's ridiculous we don't have a single metro Vancouver police force. All these separate jurisdictions where half the time they don't communicate with each other is totally inefficient
Well we do the RCMP. Just Vancouver itself is independent.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
And Delta, and New Westminster, and Port Moody, and West Vancouver. And the Transit Police.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 5:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
And Delta, and New Westminster, and Port Moody, and West Vancouver. And the Transit Police.
Oh my mistake I forgot these because there so small.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Exactly. A municiaplity with 600,000 residents needs its own force, not one that takes orders from, and answers to Ottawa.

The RCMP is great for Cranbrook, but not Surrey, Richmond or Burnaby. As you state, a regional or at least a more local force is the way to go.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Exactly. A municiaplity with 600,000 residents needs its own force, not one that takes orders from, and answers to Ottawa.

The RCMP is great for Cranbrook, but not Surrey, Richmond or Burnaby. As you state, a regional or at least a more local force is the way to go.
Speaking as someone from Richmond I think the RCMP is doing great!

They get rid of the cardboard sign guys in the medians in under 24 hours. Probably the most important criminal issue plaguing average Richmond residents is these guys.

The VPD gave up on this.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Speaking as someone from Richmond I think the RCMP is doing great!

They get rid of the cardboard sign guys in the medians in under 24 hours. Probably the most important criminal issue plaguing average Richmond residents is these guys.

The VPD gave up on this.
The Coquitlam RCMP don't seem to care about them, even a couple of blocks away from their HQ.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 10:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
The Coquitlam RCMP don't seem to care about them, even a couple of blocks away from their HQ.
Look at the murder map and you'll know why the police in Downtown, East Vancouver, Burnaby, New West and Surrey are so busy. Funnily all the deaths in Richmond are usually domestic while the rest of Metro is usually gangs:

Go here for the stories being each point:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...rce=embed&z=12

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Even the RCMP per city is rather distinct with operations (independent of each other)

Burnaby RCMP needs prior authorization/permission to go work in Coquitlam for example.

We just have regional Transit Police, and then you have highway patrol RCMP divisions.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:50 AM

Didn't the RCMP in Surrey just build a brand new building?

I wonder how this plays into the mechanism of a new police force, is Surrey on the hook for buying out the building?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Even the RCMP per city is rather distinct with operations (independent of each other)

Burnaby RCMP needs prior authorization/permission to go work in Coquitlam for example.

We just have regional Transit Police, and then you have highway patrol RCMP divisions.
Fingers still crossed for one big MVPD, like Toronto and Montreal. Then again, I've also got fingers crossed for a Stanley Cup.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:02 AM

Metropolitan Toronto (GTA) doesn't have a unified police force. The City, Peel Region, York Region and Durham region all have their own police forces.

Besides, doesn't Metro Vancouver have IHIT and gang task forces that integrate the separate forces on major crimes? Seems like that is really the most important part.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Metropolitan Toronto (GTA) doesn't have a unified police force. The City, Peel Region, York Region and Durham region all have their own police forces.

Besides, doesn't Metro Vancouver have IHIT and gang task forces that integrate the separate forces on major crimes? Seems like that is really the most important part.
I stand corrected.

Why not integrate the whole of the forces? Back during the transit referendum, the argument for keeping the Transit Police was that unlike the other PDs, TransLink did not have to stop at the civic boundaries, as with the IHIT and gang TFs. Way I figure, giving them all to one unified force seems much more efficient. Better coordination, better use of resources.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I stand corrected.

Why not integrate the whole of the forces? Back during the transit referendum, the argument for keeping the Transit Police was that unlike the other PDs, TransLink did not have to stop at the civic boundaries, as with the IHIT and gang TFs. Way I figure, giving them all to one unified force seems much more efficient. Better coordination, better use of resources.
Same reason why people complain about dedicating resources to IHIT that a municipality is paying for services that they perceive they have no need for.

VPD isn't a part of IHIT either.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:29 AM

Quote:

I wonder how this plays into the mechanism of a new police force, is Surrey on the hook for buying out the building?
I think the building you're talking about is Green Timbers. It's the Division (Provincial) HQ for the RCMP in BC. It has little to do with local policing in Surrey. As far as I know it's owned by either RCMP or the province. Although each community with an RCMP detachment had to help pay for it. I think that's why certain former mayors had issues with it's cost.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:31 AM

Quote:

In 2014 for $1 billion as the regional HQ:

Green Timbers Accommodation Partners agreed to a fixed price of $966 million to design, build, finance and maintain the facility for a term ending 25 years after construction.
Included in this amount was $263 million for design and construction (including $120 million which was paid by Canada during the construction phase) and $703 million for project financing, building maintenance, and lifecycle repair and renewal over the term of the agreement.
Additionally, Canada will pay $8.9 million in insurance costs over the 25 year period for a total of $975 million.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-b-c-1.1333252

Current Surrey main detachment is still at 14355 57th Avenue Surrey since 1990.

http://www.surreyhistory.ca/police.html

Last edited by jollyburger; Nov 14, 2018 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 4:43 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I stand corrected.
In the loose sense that any police officer sworn in in Ontario can carry out his/her duty outside her jurisdiction, sure. (I have seen TPS roaming around in Halton Region before, and between that and Toronto there's Peel Region... I've also been pulled over by Ottawa Police on Highway 417 which is technically under our provincial police.)

I'm surprised that this is not the case in BC.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 2:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Neither does Montreal. Though the entire island (city proper + on-island suburban municipalities) is covered by a single police force.

Once you get off the island the suburbs have a hodge-podge of police services.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues