HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I'm out of the loop because I don't throw away money (gamble) but don't we have single game betting in Canada now (or are about to have) Having said that I don't think USports would be involved in that? IDK
Well single game betting is a big thing in Canada now, I'm talking more about the March Madness pools run. I work with a guy who was in a pool that was $100/entry. To me, that's crazy. But, just imagine how big those pools are in the States. Gambling plays a big part in how glued to the scores people are, in Canada and the States.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 1:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Well single game betting is a big thing in Canada now, I'm talking more about the March Madness pools run. I work with a guy who was in a pool that was $100/entry. To me, that's crazy. But, just imagine how big those pools are in the States. Gambling plays a big part in how glued to the scores people are, in Canada and the States.
This is definitely true.

I know that the CFL has also tried to give a boost to stuff that has worked wonders for the NFL like fantasy football and pools, but not sure if they've actually taken off.

I know it's out there and it's big but for the record, among the NFL fans I know I've never heard anyone refer to betting, pools or fantasy football. In... 30+ years.

And I don't know anyone who is really into NCAA March Madness so that's a moot one for me.

The only types of sports pools I hear about are NHL (regular season scoring or playoffs).

Maybe World Cup soccer a bit too, every four years.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:15 PM

A nice crowd shot of the Arrows home opener at York Lions Stadium:

(Toronto Arrows Twitter)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 4:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quebec's Minister of Sport drops gloves in battle against hockey fights

She's given the LHJMQ an ultimatum: either they change their rules to apply a game misconduct plus a further 1 game suspension for fighting, or she'll legislate it for them.

https://www.lesoleil.com/2022/04/08/...ce3b8?nor=true

She is a former Olympic speed skater BTW.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec's Minister of Sport drops gloves in battle against hockey fights

She's given the LHJMQ an ultimatum: either they change their rules to apply a game misconduct plus a further 1 game suspension for fighting, or she'll legislate it for them.

https://www.lesoleil.com/2022/04/08/...ce3b8?nor=true

She is a former Olympic speed skater BTW.
This is my laugh for the day, thank you

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with a game misconduct but i wouldn't want to enter the "FIFA like" territory of further game suspensions. I could see some Concacafing stuff like goading a guy into a fight during a playoff series etc. Like many recent "ideas/policies" the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I have no problem with a game misconduct but i wouldn't want to enter the "FIFA like" territory of further game suspensions. I could see some Concacafing stuff like goading a guy into a fight during a playoff series etc. Like many recent "ideas/policies" the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
You can dispute the specifics of how Quebec wants to handle the situation but I think it's valid for the government to tell the hockey establishment if they don't pull themselves into the 21st century, the government will do it for them even if they are kicking and screaming all the way.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 11:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hot Rock a winner before 10,000 fans in Hamilton
Hamilton’s NLS team secures home playoff berth on a special night at FirstOntario Centre

https://www.thespec.com/sports/lacro...thespec_sports

The Rock know that, in this town, when it comes to winning they’re not alone.

Definitely not alone in their own arena — where they drew 10,047 Saturday night — and definitely not on the overall city sports scene. The Bulldogs, the Tiger-Cats, Forge FC, even Team Canada when it shows up here. They all expect to win, and usually do.

Cue the Rock who, after a slow start in their return to Hamilton, have now won nine of their last 11 games, including Saturday’s full value 15-7 win over the visiting Halifax Thunderbirds, who’d taken the previous two meetings between the clubs. The victory guaranteed the Rock (12-5) home floor for the sudden-death first round of the National Lacrosse League playoffs in three weeks.

And the Rock crossed another threshold, pushing past 10,000 fans for the first time since their return to the city this year from Toronto. It was Indigenous Heritage Night and the atmosphere was electric as the team paid homage to the cultural roots of ‘The Creator’s Game,’ with a traditional wooden sticks game at half time played between representatives of the Haudenosaunee and Anishinaabe Nations for the first time in, a spokesperson said, over a century.

“I’m aware of what’s happening in sports here,” said Rock head coach, Matt Sawyer, after the game. “It’s a vibrant sporting scene in Hamilton and we’re happy to be part of it. We hope we’re contributing to that.”

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
“I’m aware of what’s happening in sports here,” said Rock head coach, Matt Sawyer, after the game. “It’s a vibrant sporting scene in Hamilton and we’re happy to be part of it. We hope we’re contributing to that.”
Not calling themselves "Toronto" seems like easy step to do that

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 4:07 PM

Pretty random, but why not:

LEGER UNVEILS THE TOP 10 MOST REPUTABLE PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAMS IN CANADA IN 2022

Quote:
This year, according to Canadians*, the most reputable professional sports teams are:

1. Toronto Raptors (Reputation Score: 59)
2. Toronto Blue Jays (Reputation Score: 57)
3. Winnipeg Jets (Reputation Score: 55)
4. Montreal Alouettes (Reputation Score: 51)
5. Calgary Stampeders (Reputation Score: 50)
6. Toronto Maple Leafs (Reputation Score: 48)
7. Calgary Flames (Reputation Score: 47)
8. Edmonton Oilers (Reputation Score: 46)
9. Vancouver Canucks (Reputation Score: 46)
10. Winnipeg Blue Bombers (Reputation Score: 45)
https://leger360.com/surveys/leger-u...anada-in-2022/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Pretty random, but why not:

LEGER UNVEILS THE TOP 10 MOST REPUTABLE PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAMS IN CANADA IN 2022

https://leger360.com/surveys/leger-u...anada-in-2022/
Pardon the pun, but while Léger doesn't drop the ball very often, this seems a bit hard to believe.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:21 PM

The results don't seem that surprising to me. The two teams that are in the largest leagues and garner a national following (as the only Canadian representation) are obvious candidates to have the best nationwide "reputation".

The Jets are a newer team, don't really have hardcore Canadian rivals, and are still riding a bit of a high from Canada reclaiming a franchise from the U.S. They make sense to poll highly among hockey fans from other cities.

The Alouettes I have no explanation for.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I follow the CFL pretty closely and I think one would have a hard time making the argument that the Alouettes are the most reputable CFL franchise, which is what those poll results are showing. I mean, what advantage do they have over the other clubs in that regard?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The results don't seem that surprising to me. The two teams that are in the largest leagues and garner a national following (as the only Canadian representation) are obvious candidates to have the best nationwide "reputation".

The Jets are a newer team, don't really have hardcore Canadian rivals, and are still riding a bit of a high from Canada reclaiming a franchise from the U.S. They make sense to poll highly among hockey fans from other cities.

I am not surprised the Blue Jays and Raptors are high, but rather that the Montreal Canadiens aren't anywhere on the list.

The Habs have way more traction outside Quebec than the Raptors and Jays have inside of it (ie next to none).

As I said, the surprise isn't the Raptors and Jays placement as much as the Habs' absence.

And yes the Habs have stunk terribly this season but they made the Stanley Cup final in a great Cinderella story during the first half of 2021.

There has to be some leftover "shine" form that that would put them ahead of a bunch of largely no-name faceless teams (to the average Canadian across the country, anyway) that you find in that top 10.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I follow the CFL pretty closely and I think one would have a hard time making the argument that the Alouettes are the most reputable CFL franchise, which is what those poll results are showing. I mean, what advantage do they have over the other clubs in that regard?
Oh yeah, that's a good point too. I'd also question any poll that ranks any team that isn't the Saskatchewan Roughriders as the most reputable CFL franchise.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, that's a good point too. I'd also question any poll that ranks any team that isn't the Saskatchewan Roughriders as the most reputable CFL franchise.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:44 PM

What is "reputable" supposed to measure?

The Bomber's negotiation failures with Harris could take away from "reputable". Going back further, Harris getting busted for PEDs as well.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I have a really hard time believing that the top rung of Canadian sports teams in terms of popularity, cred, reputation won't have the Habs, Leafs, Raptors and Jays jostling for top spot in a top 4 whose order that can vary, followed by the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the five other NHL clubs fighting it out for spots 5-10.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I know I know. But history and other intangibles matter a lot.

For example, the Leafs are near the top, but anyone care to post similar photos of them that aren't in black and white?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
I have a really hard time believing that the top rung of Canadian sports teams in terms of popularity, cred, reputation won't have the Habs, Leafs, Raptors and Jays jostling for top spot in a top 4 whose order that can vary, followed by the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the five other NHL clubs fighting it out for spots 5-10.
I mean, the Leaf's reputation is "never win, chokes if they ever make the playoffs" isn't it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada