HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 4:47 AM
+

Added following new images to first page - Aug 24

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 4:51 AM

You really think that Vancouver has that kind of daring or imagination?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:17 AM
+

A few more for the week of Sept. 1st

All photos added to the first page.

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Sep 2, 2009 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 7:37 AM

I really enjoy the curvy organic shapes. Or forms that mimic nature. I'm thinking of how nice our city would look with the addition of buildings that resemble the designs at vandusen garden renos.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:57 AM

City should let give rights to land in stanely park for a huge supertall tower but make it curve through stanely park and stuff, preserving as much wildlife as possible. Imagine riding your bicycle through one of the many elevated and covered glass pathways that swerve through the trees with a super tall looming in the background

Editing done by me and Credits to wikipedia for the image

Not the most detailed picture and the height is way out of proportion, just to get a general idea out

Last edited by MechMike; Sep 3, 2009 at 10:24 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 12:36 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechMike View Post
City should let give rights to land in stanely park for a huge supertall tower but make it curve through stanely park and stuff, preserving as much wildlife as possible. Imagine riding your bicycle through one of the many elevated and covered glass pathways that swerve through the trees with a super tall looming in the background

Not the most detailed picture and the height is way out of proportion, just to get a general idea out

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 1:29 PM
loafing in lotusland

No kidding. Stanley Park is the lung of the city. This would give it terminal cancer.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 7:25 PM

Well, at least it's creative! Brainstorming ideas is always welcome. Some make it, some don't, that's what this thread is all about.

It'd be pretty hard to build anything in Stanley Park. I remember the crying-bloody-murder reaction when the city wanted to expand the park causeway by a few metres.

I'm having a SimCity moment right now, I'd like to bulldoze a couple city blocks in DTES and put up a 275m office tower there. Do the view cone restrictions extend out east?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechMike View Post

Hideous and stupid idea. Stanley Park is sacred ground in this city.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 12:43 AM

Dumbest idea I've ever seen.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:01 AM

Stanley Park IS sacred for us. I think it's a moot point to try an develop our jewel. However, I remember an article from many years ago from Maclean's (i believe) talking about how much Stanley Park would be worth if it were hypothetical sold for development as an extension of the downtown core. I remember that the dollar amount was staggering.

Anyway, that's not the organic I was thinking of. It looks like a gigantic piece of interstellar garbage was dropped on Stanley Park.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 2:05 AM

Is that a giant squid? Is that an alien spaceship???

I believe it was said that Stanley Park is worth about $70-billion.

Wasn't there talk awhile ago about the First Nations developing Dead Man's Island?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 5:03 AM

While many of the architectural examples shown here are elegant and impressive, in my opinion the majority are either grotesque, like that proposed "giant quid" thing over Stanley Park, or assymetrical in an UGLY way.

Even here in Paris, so often thought of as the "style and design" capital of the Western world, along with Milan, there are plans at the La Défense complex just outside town for some huge and not-all-that-beautiful buildings to go up very soon. And we're talking 300m plus in many cases.

Many of the examples of highrises listed here make me think of Dubai, which is impressive to the extreme, or of something almost extra-terrestrial, like the old comic books of Earth astronauts who land in some strange organic-hybrid space city on a remote planet.

Hey, if this is what most people want, then go for it, but I think there are some existing older examples (and yes, maybe I'm just an oldster, out of sync with the majority !) that have an elegant, timeless appeal to them.

Examples: the Transamerica Pyramid, the Château Champlain in Montreal (not tall at only 36 storeys, but so beautiful I could look at it all day), as well as the sleek lines of the Tour de la Bourse (although I admit the coppery-black glass is a bit sombre, and could have been clad in a more upbeat colour.).

Chicago has a number of beautiful buildings (which, not being familiar enough with the city, I can't name, other than Watertower Place, andthe John Hancock Centre and Sears tower) and even the former Pan Am Building in New York (now Met Life), whose bevelled sides "soften" it, yet make it a
fitting and impressive culmination to the south end of Park Avenue.

I'm not advocating to stick to yesteryears's styles, but a great numberof the new illustrations - and again, this only my perception - had a grotesqueness
to them that evoked neither beauty, nor even great innovation, but rather, almost shock value for the sake of either shock value itself, or breaking way from the past irreverently as a kind of statement of rebellion.

I'm not advocating putting up 1920s stle old time skyscrapers, or gigantic versions of the Burrard building (although it might win the Ultra-Bland Award of all Time), but I am saying that there are elements of the classic style, the International Style being one of them, that are worth keeping.

When designing something new and big, you don't have to go "Martian" or try and outdo Kuala Lumpur or Dubai to make a statement.

There are design aesthetics that have endired from Greco-Roman times until the present day, and have been adapted to the highrise. And again I'm speaking in overall proprtions, lines and perspectives, NOT about putting fake columns at the entrance doors, or gargoyles on the roof.

Like many, perhaps the majority, of North American cities, downtown Vancouver is a mish-mash of unconnected stlyes that contribute to a discordant feeling.

Compare the Scotia Tower to The Royal Centre, and the TD Building to Park Place. Fortunately, a certain consistency in the design element seems to be manifesting itself, like the understated similarity between the shape and proprtions of Bentall 5, and the Wall Centre Sheraton.

My "thesis" is: innovate, yes; but don't let comic book images, or weirdness for weirdness' sake be your motivating principle.

Think of beauty and elegance on equal terms with functionality.

And think how it will fit stylistically with the neighbouring buildings. Functionality is the necessity, but beauty and elegance are what remain in people's minds and what make a classic a classic, be it contemporary, post-modern, International style, early 20th century (the Chrysler Building roof, for example) right on back to the Pantheon in Rome, the Taj Mahal, or the Acropolis in Athens.

It is these types of buildings, whatever their style but timeless and elegant in their own right, that make a statement that truly lasts.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 3:11 PM
BANNED

Beam me up Scotty!

Horrid for the most part.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 9:50 PM

leave the fun stuff to surrey

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 10:00 PM

XD

Atleast my 5 minute rendering matches up to half this crap here.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 3:07 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Donetsk, Ukraine
And new stadium "Donbass-Arena" in Donetsk, opened recently.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 8:55 PM

http://www.archdaily.com/
Sorta the go-to daily architecture site for a lotta architects. Usually avoids most of the Dubai-esque architectural masturbation.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 3:36 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

It's a mall in Taipei.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 5:51 AM

Looking at some of the designs makes me interested in a few places and wary in others.

Essentially... I don't really like buildings that look sci-fi or way out of the ordinary compared to the majority. As an example I really didn't like the design for that round building with the round hole in it >.<

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues