HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 10:06 AM

I think that some of the ideas listed in the first post range from great to gimmicky, but my first priority would be revamping streetscapes (i.e. Alberni, and the joke that it is currently is)...
without the red paper lanterns.
to spiffing up Robson, which now has some great facades, but with the same old cracked sidewalks and green utilitarian lamposts found everywhere else.
I love the top photo of Chinatown around 1959, with "Bamboo Terrace," and "ming's" but rather doubt we could ever recreate that look or vibe.
Excuse me, but the big "VANCOUVER" sign is a piece of junk ... maybe appropriate for the airport but totally hokey for downtown unless somebody is lost and doesn't know what city they're in.
"En bref," start with the basics and work up, but leave out the cowtown special effects.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 6:13 PM

Exciting and interesting ideas. Thanks for taking the time to build this page.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 11:20 PM

My predictions for what is likely to happen, unlikely to happen, and not going to happen of what's on the list. I think they're all good ideas, however some are certainly shooting for the moon, especially within 4 years time.

Likely to happen (10 out of 26):

1. Legalize drinking in public spaces, and allow more patios - Can see this partially happening, it's already pretty much unenforced in most of the city. The doubtful portion of this would be an increase in patios, the street patios on busy streets are unpleasant and most businesses that had them will likely only bring them back temporarily for the summer if permitted. Would be good to see more covered patios around the city (particularly rooftop ones) however the city can't force businesses or commercial property owners to build these outside of the rezoning process.
2. Placemaking to help revive historic Chinatown and support its businesses - I can see this council giving particular focus to Chinatown considering how much they focused on it in the campaign. At a minimum something will happen, exactly how much and the results of which I'm skeptical about.
6. Pedestrianize Water Street in Gastown - As mentioned it's already in ABC Vancouver's plans to do this during the summer, which I think will likely prove to be a successful pilot project and by 2026 we might see a year round pedestrianized Water Street assuming this success.
10. Approve the 800 Granville redevelopment - Already recommended to be approved by city staff, this is exactly the sort of development style the former NPA (i.e. ABC Vancouver) is accustomed to. It will pass.
11. Approve the Hudson’s Bay redevelopment - Same as above. A redevelopment of a commercial project downtown and nowhere near the Westside. It will be passed.
15. Retain the Northeast False Creek viaducts, and build around the structures - This is a tossup but in the 'likely to happen' category for the simple fact that it will be easier to keep this hot potato in the air and do nothing than it would be to introduce a truly comprehensive plan. Plus ABC Vancouver isn't a very urbanist party and the non-urbanists in this city seem to love this small section of almost-highway for some reason.
17. A major mixed-use development for Broadway-City Hall Station - Something like this will happen here in the next 4 years.
22. Encourage small retail and restaurant units in laneways - Already happening, "encourage" is a broad term, I'm sure some new units will be permitted over the next 4 years, albeit not on a large scale.
23. PNE renewal and Playland expansion - Something will happen here. I doubt it'll be a huge scale renewal but ABC Vancouver has talked about doing something with the PNE in the past.
26. Support existing major events, and catalyze new events - They will support existing major events, and will likely accept new events, as they were supportive of the 2030 Olympics. How much of this happens in 4 years is subjective but a post-covid world will likely see more events happening in general compared to the last few years.

Unlikely to happen, but possible (10 out of 26):

4. Build a “VANCOUVER” sign - Unlikely because it would cost money. Could see it as a CAC for a development on the waterfront or something but also unlikely.
5. Placemaking for Punjabi Market - Chinatown is the priority for this council. None of them have significant links to the Punjabi Market community. However should the community demand this, then it could happen.
7. Revitalize Robson Street, including making it car-free - Water street will be first. This will likely happen to Robson street eventually but unlikely in the next 4 years, ABC Vancouver isn't urbanist enough imo.
9. Bring out the true potential of Granville Entertainment District - A broad suggestion, the redevelopment of certain areas along the street will allow for some new potential to be brought out, however I don't think it will happen to the scale suggested.
12. Catalyze a truly world-class redevelopment of the Bay parkade - The redevelopment of the parkade will happen eventually, although I'm doubtful that the developers/city will do something "world-class" with it. I'm eager to be proven wrong about this.
13. Rethink building height restrictions due to view cones and shadowing - This relies on ABC being truly a YIMBY party, I think there's too much former NPA influence to do something this drastic though. It will likely just be specific exceptions given to certain developments if anything.
14. Make real progress on the Waterfront Station precinct - This idea has been tossed around for decades at this point, the likelihood that something happens in the next 4 years is very doubtful.
20. Move the “East Van” sign - Possible although imo unlikely. It's a great sign, but there's not really another good site for it and it would cost way more than it's worth
21. Widen the sidewalks of Commercial Drive - I don't see ABC Vancouver as urbanist enough to take away parking/car lanes on Commercial Drive. Will be happy to be proven wrong.
25. More support for the Vancouver Economic Commission - Could happen, but money is money.

Not going to happen (6 out of 26):
3. Rethink International Village mall - City doesn't own the mall, unless they purchase it on the cheap there's little they can do. Food for thought for the current management/owners of the mall though.
8. Placemaking on Alberni Street - Eventually this should happen. Within the next 4 years it won't, Robson street would be the priority.
16. Encourage more post-secondary institutions to open in downtown Vancouver - This suggestion is vague. However considering the cost of space in downtown Vancouver this isn't a financially practical option for established universities. It'll likely just be more of the international private universities that are effectively degree mills for Canadian visas, if anything.
18. Granville Bridge elevator to Granville Island, and the return of the “Olympic Line” streetcar - I wish, but this is truly wishful thinking. Maybe the elevator will happen, but the city will have its hands full with the UBC Skytrain (and maybe also a Hastings line as suggested by ABC Vancouver in the campaign) so the streetcar will most certainly not.
19. Take advantage of Queen Elizabeth Park’s views - This is probably the most far out idea on this list.
24. Revitalize the Museum of Vancouver - The new art gallery will be a sufficiently red enough ribbon to cut in this 4 year term. I doubt they'll spend money on a second new museum.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 5:08 AM

Question ... may I include Burnaby in this

Just off a thread all about a new 60+ floor building in Burnaby, I believe in Metrotown, I became aware more than ever of just how much these town centres are going to influence the entire metro.
So, thinking of streets like possibly Kingsway and other major streets running through Metrotown, and possibly Brentwood and others, would it not be an idea to greatly heighten the streetscape aesthetic?
I think that smart sidewalk paving stones, elegant lighting, accompanying low-level lighting, parklets, pleasant street furniture, and hopefully cafés and retail would be as noticeable here as in most of downtown or mid-town Vancouver. Siff it up, do it right, and give it class, is what I am saying. (apologies to Louis B Mayer) oh, and might I add, that his policy be applied in Vancouver, too, notably to Alberni Street between Burrard and Thurlow.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues