HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Moment of truth ABC - are you really pro-deregulation, or just NIMBYs?
I keep hearing this criticism of ABC, but when have they shown any NIMBY tendencies? It's getting to tinfoil hat levels.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 8:54 PM

Ken ran in 2018 on the NPA ticket as anti-rezoning and pro-consultation, and his big plan for more affordable housing was to cut basement suites in half; likewise, ABC's housing platform has a lot to say about red tape and not much about zoning.

Four of their councillors are so far basically Ken's yes-men, and the other three are the ex-NPA YIMBYs who always vote along party lines, so personally speaking I'm going to need at least one pro-housing or anti-car motion to pass through Council before I'm convinced that we're not in a Doug Ford era.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Ken ran in 2018 on the NPA ticket as anti-rezoning and pro-consultation, and his big plan for more affordable housing was to cut basement suites in half; likewise, ABC's housing platform has a lot to say about red tape and not much about zoning.

Four of their councillors are so far basically Ken's yes-men, and the other three are the ex-NPA YIMBYs who always vote along party lines, so personally speaking I'm going to need at least one pro-housing or anti-car motion to pass through Council before I'm convinced that we're not in a Doug Ford era.
Why pass anti-car regulation when so many Vancourites have them? I realize many renters have been pushed to the point of penury where they can’t afford one though I wonder whether this “study” takes other strata buildings into account.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why pass anti-car regulation when so many Vancourites have them? I realize many renters have been pushed to the point of penury where they can’t afford one though I wonder whether this “study” takes other strata buildings into account.
Because we’ve reached the point where we have to choose between Vancouver and Vancouver’s drivers? If ABC’s serious about clearing out the red tape and increasing the rate of construction (and not just pandering to entitled West Siders stuck in the Fifties), this is a win-win.

Don’t even try make this a wedge issue. Many stratas, including some on the forum, don’t want or need more underground parking spots than the number of residents either.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
No regulations are going to be imposed as a result of the changes City Council will vote on. Instead, existing regulations that require developers to provide parking in the West End and Broadway Plan area will be removed.

If developers want to provide parking, they can do so. It'll cost condo buyers or tenants the equivalent of the cost to construct an underground parking space - $60,000 to $80,000, but potentially over $120,000 per stall depending on site size, layout efficiency and soil conditions. It also adds extra time to the construction - sometimes over a year for a deep excavation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues