HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
If LA builds half of what’s in that picture, it will be momentous. I do agree that Oceanwide needs to get done sooner than later.
In fact a handful of projects are left out in that 'interpretation', that's not to say some of the projects such as Angels Landing will go through, but the former and a few others have become more modest and more realistic in scale so their chances of actually being built have gone up. I'm going to guess that 65-75% of the projects will be done by 2025, some already at or near completion, and some just gained approval or soon to be approved. With more in the pipeline we could see some major gains in width as viewed from Griffith Observatory or the opposite side.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:53 AM

Like I stated in the previous page, most of the buildings in order to stand out will have to reach at least 30+ floors in height or they will likely get washed out in the sea of low-rise.

Last edited by Niftybox; Dec 18, 2019 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 2:20 AM

Greenland Completes Apartments at $1 Billion Metropolis Development in LA

Developer Greenland USA completed the last and tallest structure at the four-building Metropolis in downtown Los Angeles.
https://www.costar.com/article/11278...ent-in%C2%A0la

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
In fact a handful of projects are left out in that 'interpretation', that's not to say some of the projects such as Angels Landing will go through, but the former and a few others have become more modest and more realistic in scale so their chances of actually being built have gone up. I'm going to guess that 65-75% of the projects will be done by 2025, some already at or near completion, and some just gained approval or soon to be approved. With more in the pipeline we could see some major gains in width as viewed from Griffith Observatory or the opposite side.
Great insight. I really do think width as you put it, is one key milestone to achieve. The high rise proposals near the river strike me as very important to make happen. The infill in between is nearly as important. Love the proposals around Westlake as well. An Urban Outfitter right there next to the metro Station at McCarthur Park would be epic. That area was never meant to be a working class ethnic enclave ( all due respect) or a homeless pissing pot.

If 70% comes to fruition (along with Hollywood/Wilshire Center/Westlake boomlets), LA will reach that milestone where all future projects would be complimentary, rather than necessary.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:

Developer Greenland USA completed the last and tallest structure at the four-building Metropolis in downtown Los Angeles.
These look way better than those cheap Vancouver style "stack of balconies" towers.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
These look way better than those cheap Vancouver style "stack of balconies" towers.
I agree, much more contemporary modern look that fits LA, I also love the polished dark brown granite and black windows look, dark blue granite as well. Glass boxes like this one are a little lower on the list but they sure beat the stack of crackers as you've mentioned.

No more than a decade ago a $1 billion building project was a big deal, but so many projects are going on in the U.S. that this latest one got little attention even on Yahoo! News.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
Great insight. I really do think width as you put it, is one key milestone to achieve. The high rise proposals near the river strike me as very important to make happen. The infill in between is nearly as important. Love the proposals around Westlake as well. An Urban Outfitter right there next to the metro Station at McCarthur Park would be epic. That area was never meant to be a working class ethnic enclave ( all due respect) or a homeless pissing pot.
I really think that much of that area is screaming for higher density, also there are still so many 2 story plots and parking lots wasting valuable real estate in South Park still. These building booms come in waves and this is perhaps our last chance to get things up to snuff. Let's hope they keep it full steam ahead and turn DTLA into what it deserves to be, and fast!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:57 AM

Quote:
I really think that much of that area is screaming for higher density, also there are still so many 2 story plots and parking lots wasting valuable real estate in South Park still. These building booms come in waves and this is perhaps our last chance to get things up to snuff. Let's hope they keep it full steam ahead and turn DTLA into what it deserves to be, and fast!
There’s still so much money out there. Enough to build up LA 10x over imo. Politics aside, we need to be very careful not to poison the well. All in all, if what you envisioned is built with character of course, we’re in good shape. Like you said, do it fast, so the next wave is the last core establishing building boom needed.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Yeaaaah, Onni is kinda dropping the ball when it comes to design. The towers are nice and functional inside I'm sure. A balcony is a huge bonus, they just havent really been implemented very well. Flower+Hope towers are 'good infill' but they could have done so much better at no extra cost. They don't particularly look like the renderings imo. Hopefully the podiums and design can be semi-regulated with the city.. after all these buildings will be up for a very long time and are creating the fabric of DTLA... Now is the time to ensure best possible design for the long term aesthetic implications. I am a huge fan of symmetry in most cases, and we have not seen that in quite a few of these newer projects.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Yeaaaah, Onni is kinda dropping the ball when it comes to design. The towers are nice and functional inside I'm sure. A balcony is a huge bonus, they just havent really been implemented very well. Flower+Hope towers are 'good infill' but they could have done so much better at no extra cost. They don't particularly look like the renderings imo. Hopefully the podiums and design can be semi-regulated with the city.. after all these buildings will be up for a very long time and are creating the fabric of DTLA... Now is the time to ensure best possible design for the long term aesthetic implications. I am a huge fan of symmetry in most cases, and we have not seen that in quite a few of these newer projects.
Very few times do renderings turn out the same in reality, there's that uncanny valley that photo-realistic renderings can't achieve yet. I believe Onni is trying to make an impact without trying to stand out very much. Some cities go a little too crazy on the 're-imagining' and it backfires (no offense Dallas and Austin). A nice core of simple but tall buildings is what makes for a great skyline. And every city needs a nicely designed standout building. LA is still lacking that iconic tower, US Bank doesn't cut it, Wilshire Grand is close but not tall enough.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 11:09 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
I find the interior of Onni's 825 Hill to be lacking too. Very value-engineered. Mack Urban did a much better job on 1120 Grand IMO

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 6:56 AM

^^^ Speaking of Mack Urban, werent their next phase of towers suopposed to start sometime next year or 2021? we havent heard much about them nor the design of them which is a bit odd. But, seeing Brookfield slid under the radar even with its design, i wouldnt surprised.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:

Very nice indeed. Are those vertical slats LED lights? If so will look amazing.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
Very nice indeed. Are those vertical slats LED lights? If so will look amazing.
Yep, those will light up different colors and patterns at night, these buildings made a huge impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:10 AM

Quote:
@PerlaOnBroadway from @PERCHLosAngeles
https://twitter.com/HistoricCore

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 5:18 AM

Not horrible. Looks better than i thought it would so far.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 5:40 PM

I like how Perla matches the color tone of surrounding Broadway, and it's just tall enough to add to LA's prominent skyline. Those rooms will be some of the highest premium in LA.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:31 AM

Can we get a holiday skyline update on here please? I’d love to see skyscrapers adorned in holiday colors.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 6:02 AM

Kinda old but relevant, here's a render from the roof-top of Perla:

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 11:14 AM

Perla from a distance

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations