HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:35 AM

Hmm. I have just noticed the Mens Gold Medal / Closing Ceremony times kind of overlap.

The gates open at 1:30 for the closing ceremony, however, the Gold Medal game isn't supposed to end until 2:45.

No way people won't be watching that instead of getting in line for the ceremony

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Hmm. I have just noticed the Mens Gold Medal / Closing Ceremony times kind of overlap.

The gates open at 1:30 for the closing ceremony, however, the Gold Medal game isn't supposed to end until 2:45.

No way people won't be watching that instead of getting in line for the ceremony
Oh you're lucky. Just be aware that apparently lots of people were still being screened on Monday when the show started...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djun View Post
I'm pretty sure there is *no* reentry to any venue. If you decide to leave the secured grounds to grab a bite to eat at a nearby place, you can't come back in.
Yes. It is stated in the Spectator Guide. I better fill up my stomach first.

NO RE-ENTRY
Once you enter a venue you will not be able to leave and return again. Make sure you have everything you’ll need during your event.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:50 AM

Quote:
The spectator guide for the Opening Ceremony, upon reading (who'd have thought!) says "Flash photography for personal use is allowed". I guess they want the look of the flashes on TV.

I always thought it made things look more interesting. Like The Who at the Superbowl.

For other events it says no flash photography, however, photography for personal use is allowed.
I heard that Beijing had small strobes arranged around the stadium set to random timings to make it look to the TV audience that lots of people were taking pictures.

Most people should already know that a camera flash won't do much good when you're aiming at something several hundred meters away.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:59 AM

Quote:
What I am wondering is, what if you have tickets to multiple events, that are back to back.

Are you expected to leave, and come back in through security? A couple of days I go to back to back games at GM Place.

How will they make sure freeloaders don't stay around ? I'd hide in the bathroom before a Canada game if I had to!
If you are observed watching the event without going back to your seat, you could be challenged to prove you have a seat for that event. If you can't show a valid ticket, you will be tossed out.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 9:10 AM

Quote:

I think the closing ceremony starts at 5:30 and they want everyone to be seated by 4:30, so that gives you just under 2 hours to cross the street & clear BC Place security. I'd set the VCR to record the closing ceremonies just in case ...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 9:21 AM

they usually give the gold medal away during the closing ceremonies or as part of it

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they usually give the gold medal away during the closing ceremonies or as part of it
Personally, I'd rather be awarded the gold medal instead of having it giving away.

Last edited by jsbertram; Feb 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 1:01 PM

Sneak peak: Fireworks for the 2010 Winter Olympics opening ceremonies
By Staff

Last night (February 8), Vancouver resident Evgeni Chekanov witnessed a fireworks display launched at the end of a dress rehearsal for the 2010 Winter Olympics opening ceremonies.

The actual event is scheduled to take place on February 12 at 6:00 p.m. While the show will take place inside BC Place, it has become apparent that fireworks will be ignited outside the stadium. Here's a sneak peak at what you are likely to see.

Photographs by Evgeni Chekanov
http://www.straight.com/article-2883...ing-ceremonies

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 2:29 PM

Looking good!

Interesting source (Georgia Straight). I recall them printing quite a bit of negativity towards the Games...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
Based on the spectator guide, flash light is OK for Opening/Closing Ceremony at BC Place.
Flash light is NOT ok in venues where athletes compete. I guess the reason is flash light may affect their eyesight.
Flash photography distracts and disorients figure skaters.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:43 PM
Site 8 Lives

Does anybody know if beer is being served at the opening ceremony dress rehearsal tonight? I'm not sure if I can cheerfully wave a glowstick or whatever the heck it is without a few drinks in my system.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 4:50 PM

So I'm hearing this morning that the rendition of "O Canada" for the opening ceremonies is horrific. They tried to make it a pop/top 40 version, so I've heard.

Can anybody comment on that?

Who the hell comes up with this crap. Just leave the anthem alone... there's absolutely nothing wrong with the version that gets sung in front of every Canucks game, for example.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:07 PM

It's hard to sing along to, but it's not horrid.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:20 PM

The Anthem is sacre.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii View Post
It's hard to sing along to, but it's not horrid.
I'd say the anthem of all things shouldn't be "hard to sing along to".

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:24 PM

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see what the anthem is really like. The opinion of some random people won't necessarily be your own. People like to criticize after all.

On a related note, it was depressing to watch the CBC turn the Peace Arch torch relay segment story into something negative, as well as complaining about how Arnold Schwarzenegger shouldn't carry the torch because he used steroids decades ago. The Olympics make me feel positive. I like to enjoy them, to have that rare time to suspend my critical aspects, my disbelief. Turning everything into a point of contention is bloody depressing!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Well I guess we'll have to wait and see what the anthem is really like. The opinion of some random people won't necessarily be your own. People like to criticize after all.

On a related note, it was depressing to watch the CBC turn the Peace Arch torch relay segment story into something negative, as well as complaining about how Arnold Schwarzenegger shouldn't carry the torch because he used steroids decades ago. The Olympics make me feel positive. I like to enjoy them, to have that rare time to suspend my critical aspects, my disbelief. Turning everything into a point of contention is bloody depressing!
Ya that was a joke. I thought the Peace Arch segment was great, I wasn't expecting it.

On the opening ceremonies note, listening to CKNW this morning every single person calling in thought the ceremony was awesome. It is going to blow people away. I don't want to get my expectations too high, but they couldn't have been more positive. The only exception was the anthem, and more than 75% of people didn't like it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:31 PM

So they want the audience inside the stadium to sing the anthem?
What's wrong with that? It succeeded also in Torino where all the public sang the anthem together.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
So I'm hearing this morning that the rendition of "O Canada" for the opening ceremonies is horrific. They tried to make it a pop/top 40 version, so I've heard.

Can anybody comment on that?

Who the hell comes up with this crap. Just leave the anthem alone... there's absolutely nothing wrong with the version that gets sung in front of every Canucks game, for example.
Maybe they've added the 2nd and 3rd verses that nobody remembers anymore.

It's hilarious watching when the TV cameras pan through the audience when the french verse comes up -- it's easy to pick out all the card-carrying Reform Party members because they're fumbling trying to remember the english lyrics while everyone around them is singing in french.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]