HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

245 Rideau Tower [2] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 1:35 PM

Ongoing site prep. Working from home next to this site has been torture. Non-stop hydro excavation.

Last edited by k.evans; Apr 3, 2020 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.evans View Post
Ongoing site prep. Working from home next to this site has been torture. Non-stop hydro excavation.

Well, you don't need to worry about that for the time being. Construction sites will be closed after tomorrow.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Well, you don't need to worry about that for the time being. Construction sites will be closed after tomorrow.
Only if they don't yet have an above-ground permit, no? Not sure where this one stands.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Only if they don't yet have an above-ground permit, no? Not sure where this one stands.
I'm also not sure. I heard "industrial sites" will shut down several times, but does this include residential high rise construction. Single family homes already u/c can be completed, but new projects cannot. Not sure about multi-family.

Glad that transit and medical facilities can continue, at least for now.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 2:21 PM

As of April 9th, 38% sold or 90 of 237.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 1:47 PM

The development application has been updated to replace the hotel with residential.

I guess the first hotel in the city to get converted is the one not yet built.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
The development application has been updated to replace the hotel with residential.

That would have been in the works for some time, and not as a reaction to the "new reality", no?

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post

Do you mind pointing where that document is? I couldn't find on the first post's link.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 5:54 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisoj View Post
Do you mind pointing where that document is? I couldn't find on the first post's link.
Updated development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__B2RZYS

"In June of 2019, a site plan revision application was submitted to the City of Ottawa... The proposed development at the time of this first revision remained a mixed use high-rise building with 3 towers sitting on a 2 storey podium. The development consisted of a 26 storey residential condo tower, a 27 storey residential rental tower and an 18 storey hotel tower. A retail food store was to occupy the ground floor.

The following application is a subsequent revision to the site plan to change the use of Tower A (corner of Cumberland Street and Rideau street) from a hotel use to residential. This change will result in 148 apartments, replacing 208 hotel rooms. The apartment types are as follows, Studios 16, 1 Bedrooms 82, 2 Bedrooms 50, Total 148."

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 6:04 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Claridge ditches plans for hotel at former Metro site, adds more residential units

By: OBJ staff
Published: May 12, 2020 11:27am EDT

An Ottawa developer has scrapped its proposal to include a hotel as part of a mixed-use project at the site of the former Metro supermarket on Rideau Street and instead plans to build more residential units on the property.

Council approved Claridge Homes’ application to construct three towers of 18, 26 and 27 storeys at 245 Rideau St. last fall. The buildings would rise above a two-storey podium that’s expected to feature a 35,000-square-foot Metro store to replace the former supermarket on the site.

In Claridge’s original plan, the tallest building was slated to include rental apartments, while the 26-storey tower would be devoted to condos and the 18-storey highrise would be a 208-room hotel. Under a site plan revision recently submitted at City Hall, the developer says it wants to replace the hotel with another apartment building featuring 148 units.

The revised proposal calls for a total of 745 residential suites in the three buildings. An underground parking garage would provide spaces for 385 vehicles.

It’s not the first time Claridge has altered its plans for the 1.25-acre site just a few blocks east of the Rideau Centre, which it purchased in 2013 and is a prime location for transit-oriented mixed-use development.

The developer’s original plan, which was approved in 2015, called for three towers of 21, 25 and 28 storeys and a two-storey podium containing two “large-format retail stores.” A mix of residential and hotel suites was proposed for the site, which was expected to include about 440 units.

Last year, Claridge modified that proposal, adding more units, altering the heights of the buildings and changing the retail use to a food store.

https://www.obj.ca/article/claridge-...idential-units

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 6:06 PM
ハルウララ

It's probably for the best, isn't it? More residents in the Market core on top of the LRT...

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That would have been in the works for some time, and not as a reaction to the "new reality", no?
I have found recently many developers have become really good at designing buildings that can be easily changed from one purpose to another late in the design: condo, rental, retirement home, hotel, etc...

No idea if this inspired them to pull the trigger on a purpose switch but I am sure it doesn't have them feeling bad about the idea.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Updated development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__B2RZYS

"In June of 2019, a site plan revision application was submitted to the City of Ottawa... The proposed development at the time of this first revision remained a mixed use high-rise building with 3 towers sitting on a 2 storey podium. The development consisted of a 26 storey residential condo tower, a 27 storey residential rental tower and an 18 storey hotel tower. A retail food store was to occupy the ground floor.

The following application is a subsequent revision to the site plan to change the use of Tower A (corner of Cumberland Street and Rideau street) from a hotel use to residential. This change will result in 148 apartments, replacing 208 hotel rooms. The apartment types are as follows, Studios 16, 1 Bedrooms 82, 2 Bedrooms 50, Total 148."
Thanks!

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 1:41 PM

Interesting... Could have been a pretty good spot for a new hotel though, on Rideau next to Market and Mall and not far from Parliament or Canal but, more apartments is not a bad thing either.

745 units? That's a lot! I mean, prime spot for it but, with a mix of couples living in 1 bedrooms and 2-bedroom apartments/condos, this block will be able to accommodate over 1,000 new residents for sure!

Now can someone please explain to me how a new development like this costs the city "almost the same" as a new "Farrhaven Springs" suburb with 200 townhomes, 200 semi-detached and 100 detached homes?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.evans View Post

Wondering if you would have updated pics of the progress

The noise must be very bad. Are they doing excavation only for the first building that is supposed to be up first, or doing for all 3 buildings at the same time?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 12:44 PM

Excavation is well underway.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:09 PM

They're digging. This site is also very large.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:57 PM

From Claridge's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ClaridgeHomes/st...76595359793152

Not particularly appealing architecturally, though far better than CP I-IV. Much needed density for the area.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:47 PM

I've lost hope for quality material on the towers, but I sure hope they do a good job with the podium and interaction with the public realm at street level.

I think that'll make all the difference along Rideau street. I also find it misleading when Developers magically create green space in their building renderings that don't exist. In reality, there's a homeless shelter across the street on George.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 9:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
From Claridge's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ClaridgeHomes/st...76595359793152

Not particularly appealing architecturally, though far better than CP I-IV. Much needed density for the area.
Larger versions of the tweeted images:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa