HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 10:02 PM

Austin - Four Seasons Residences update... on the way

I recieved an email from the Four Seasons marketing team with an update. [you can call them to get on the email distribution list via their website]

80% of floors 15-34 have been reserved. [not closed]. They are beginning to market the lower floors now. I believe you see some type of architectural split in balcony layouts above and below floor 15 in the renderings.

I won't have work email access till Monday - I will try to cut and paste the exact update then.

I can't remember the last update on when ground breaking is planned. I thought it was September or November???

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
I recieved an email from the Four Seasons marketing team with an update. [you can call them to get on the email distribution list via their website]

80% of floors 15-34 have been reserved. [not closed]. They are beginning to market the lower floors now. I believe you see some type of architectural split in balcony layouts above and below floor 15 in the renderings.

I won't have work email access till Monday - I will try to cut and paste the exact update then.

I can't remember the last update on when ground breaking is planned. I thought it was September or November???
80%, really? That's amazing! Spring is only at 40ish % ..... man they missed something. Must be the name and services?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 5:27 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

So we could see construction within the next 2 to 3 months?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 6:02 PM
Member since 2001

Yep. It's slated to start construction this fall.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 4:03 PM

New rendering of the Four Seasons residences is now up on their web page. In addition to being a bit more photorealistic, it shows some changes:

- The base section is 5 floors instead of the previous 6.
- The middle section is just 8 floors, instead of the previous 13.
- The top section is upped to 19 floors from 17.
- Overall 32 floors; previous rendering showed 36.

My current model is at 430 ft. I'll probably knock it down to about 380.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So we could see construction within the next 2 to 3 months?
or decades..............

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 12:17 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
New rendering of the Four Seasons residences is now up on their web page. In addition to being a bit more photorealistic, it shows some changes:

- The base section is 5 floors instead of the previous 6.
- The middle section is just 8 floors, instead of the previous 13.
- The top section is upped to 19 floors from 17.
- Overall 32 floors; previous rendering showed 36.

My current model is at 430 ft. I'll probably knock it down to about 380.

I don't know if I'd do that just yet. From what I've been told, it's still supposed to be in the 400' range - taller than 111 Congress, which is 391'.

When Bret Denton (Principal w/ Ardent Residential; one of the developers of this project) was going through the project’s entitlement process, last summer, he told me that the building was going to be 32 stories and over 400' in height. And, I was as surprised as several others in this forum, when I saw renderings depicting a 38-story tower.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 12:34 AM

Okay, thanks for the info

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 12:45 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Okay, thanks for the info
No worries. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks how tall it will really be. Just an FYI, as far as I know, they have yet to file a site plan with the city. Meaning, once they do, it could be 45-90 days before ground will be turned...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 5:22 AM
Meh

That design is looking sharp. I do hope it cracks 400 feet by about 20 feet or so. It'll probably just barely poke up above the tree line here in my neighborhood. I'm afraid it's a bit too far east and not quite tall enough to really stick up. 360 on the other hand is really going to make an impact here. I walked home from my brother's apartment lastnight, (I was drunk ) and 360's crane was easily visible above the trees with the red light blinking away. The building will rise in that view on the horizon over the middle of the street, so it'll really show up well there.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 3:39 PM

Is this a mixed-use building? Is it going to be connected in some way to the Four Seasons hotel?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 9:22 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideatx04 View Post
Is this a mixed-use building? Is it going to be connected in some way to the Four Seasons hotel?
Not in the traditional sense. It's strictly a condominium tower with about 6,000 SF of retail in its base. Also, it is only tied to the Four Seasons Hotel by a service providing agreement. Each homeowner will have access to all the amenities of the adjacent hotel; 24/7.

This project is not a corporate Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts development. In fact, I'm not aware of any Four Seasons Residences which are (or were) developed solely by corporate.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 1:54 PM

Thanks goldenboot for the clarification. I thought Austin required all buildings in downtown to be mixed-use unless four seasons found a loophole by providing a single restaurant or really small retail?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 6:33 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideatx04
Thanks goldenboot for the clarification. I thought Austin required all buildings in downtown to be mixed-use unless four seasons found a loophole by providing a single restaurant or really small retail?
You're welcome.

No, there is no such statute/ordinance in place. A true mixed-use structure would combine spacing for individuals to live, work, and/or play. In that regard, the only high-rise proposal which could truly be dubbed "mixed-use" would be T. Stacy's Fifth & Congress, whose current proposed mix includes: ~100k SF of retail; ~330k SF of office; and ~180 condos (the development originally had a hotel component as well. That has since been scrubbed).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 7:14 PM

So, they pre-sold all these Four Seasons units without a model unit to look at somewhere? That's pretty impressive.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 8:29 PM

There IS an ordinance requiring street-level pedestrian-oriented use, but it may be that four seasons' has enough to qualify; or it may be that they're outside the area in which that ordinance applies ("downtown" means different things depending on which ordinance you're talking about).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 10:10 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
There IS an ordinance requiring street-level pedestrian-oriented use, but it may be that four seasons' has enough to qualify; or it may be that they're outside the area in which that ordinance applies ("downtown" means different things depending on which ordinance you're talking about).
Yes, you are correct. There is an ordinance in place which requires projects, in certain areas of central Austin (and other designated areas of town), to have street-level pedestrian-friendly uses. However, there is no ordinance in place which mandates a tower to be "mixed-use." That was the point I was trying to present...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 10:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Check the news either KEYE or KXAN they may be talking about the Four Seasons Tower. They fenced up the site even though the parking lot is still open it does look like they are on the verge of breaking ground. I saw both news vans out near the site.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 7:50 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Okay neither of them did a story on Four Seasons it was about the Convention Center scandal crap. Anyways there is a fence up around the site.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:30 PM

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...urseasons.html

REAL ESTATE

Four Seasons condos break ground this week
Long-delayed project finally begins construction.
By Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Four Seasons Residences, one of downtown Austin's highest profile luxury condominium towers, will break ground this week, seven years after initial plans were thwarted by the tech bust of 2001.

The newly designed 32-story tower will rise in the parking lot next to the Four Seasons Hotel overlooking Lady Bird Lake. The building's 166 residences will be priced from $400,000 to $4 million, with units from 880 to 5,500 square feet.

MICHAEL GRAVES ARCHITECT

(enlarge photo)
A rendering shows the Four Seasons Residences, a 32-story tower planned downtown. About 40 percent of the 166 units are under contract, the developer said.

(enlarge photo)
A rendering shows the interior of a Four Seasons Residences condo. Residents will have access to services from the Four Seasons Hotel next door, including a 24-hour concierge and housekeeping.

Four Seasons will manage the building, which is expected to open in the first quarter of 2010 and become a landmark on the evolving skyline.

The $125 million project is a venture between local developers Ardent Residential and Atlanta-based Post Properties Inc, the financier. Michael Graves & Associates Inc. designed the tower, which will have a terra cotta-colored brick base that will blend with the hotel, developers say.

The first major sign of construction will come later this week when crews begin demolishing the hotel's 123-space surface parking, which will be redirected to an underground garage. The new tower will include five levels of above-ground parking.

The construction entrance and staging area will be on Trinity Street to minimize disruption for the hotel, said Art Carpenter, a principal with Ardent Residential.

To date, prospective buyers have signed contracts to purchase about 40 percent of the units with nonrefundable, 10 percent deposits, Carpenter said.

About half of the prospective buyers are Austinites, and the other half are out-of-towners who have ties to the University of Texas and the local business, arts and music communities, said Brett Denton, another Ardent principal.

Philanthropist Frank Krasovec, former chairman of Norwood Promotional Products Inc., and his wife, Margaret, plan to be residents. They chose the project over many others being built downtown, where 818 new condo units will open this year.

"We extensively researched all the products available and coming on line and determined that the Four Seasons best suited us," the Krasovecs said in a statement. "From our perspective, we know that the Four Seasons brand will retain its value. We love the location on the lake. It is the most 'residential' location of all the residential highrise projects."

Despite skepticism about how many upscale condos Austin can handle, Carpenter said the strength of the downtown market is apparent because of three price increases for the Four Seasons units since August, some as high as 20 percent.

Another downtown condominium project, the 55-story Austonian at Congress Avenue and Second Street, also is targeting the ultra-luxury market. The 195-unit project broke ground in August, with prices from $550,000 to $3.8 million.

Prices have gone up since then. They now range from $559,000 for units with 1,221 square feet to $4.017 million for a unit with 4,129 square feet, said Ashlynn Russey, the Austonian's sales manager.

Russey says sales are going well, though she and the project's developers have declined to release numbers. The first buyers are expected to move in by late 2009, Russey said.

Charles Heimsath, a local real estate consultant hired to do market research for the Four Seasons project, and at one point for the Austonian, said those projects are setting a new bar for luxury downtown.

Four Seasons residents will have access to the hotel's services and amenities, including 24-hour concierge, in-room dining and housekeeping. There will also be a 2,000-square-foot fitness center, facilities for entertaining and a rooftop pool, which will be the highest in Texas, the developers say.

"I think the Four Seasons has demonstrated by virtue of the number of contracts that there is a viable demand for ultra-luxury product in downtown Austin," Heimsath said.

A high percentage of the downtown condo units set to open this year are under contract with nonrefundable deposits, he said.

"I think that shows a tremendous interest in downtown and the strength of the current market," he said.

This week's groundbreaking is gratifying for Carpenter, who was involved in the original project in 2000 when he was with developer Maritz, Wolf & Co.

"I have been working on this project for over eight years, and it is incredibly exciting to see all this effort come to fruition," Carpenter said. "But most of all, it will be satisfying to deliver on the commitments that were made to so many people who elected to make the Four Seasons Residences their home."

snovak@statesman.com; 445-3856

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin