HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 3:28 PM

Cesar Chavez beautification & conversion

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/publicwor...ez/default.htm

I thought this deserved a thread. Why was the traffic ever made one way for five blocks?

I also thought it would give me a chance to talk about Buford Tower too. I've always thought it could use some nice (tasteful) accent lighting. It would be an especially great terminus for the one way street at night.

Here's some info on Buford Tower.

http://www.austinexplorer.com/Histor....asp?SiteID=39

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 3:36 PM

Isn't it an amazing price tag? $5.7M. It seems like you paint a few lines on the road, add a few stops lights. Done.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythegreat View Post
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/publicwor...ez/default.htm

I thought this deserved a thread. Why was the traffic ever made one way for five blocks?

I also thought it would give me a chance to talk about Buford Tower too. I've always thought it could use some nice (tasteful) accent lighting. It would be an especially great terminus for the one way street at night.

Here's some info on Buford Tower.

http://www.austinexplorer.com/Histor....asp?SiteID=39
thanks for that link. I knew it was an old fire training tower..... great to have the details.

And.... btw.... sooooo glad Chavez will be two-way! Do you know if there are any renderings of the "esplanade" that is planed?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 4:21 PM

I haven't seen any renderings, but I'm not the end all be all on the subject. I'll check around.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 7:47 PM

It was made one-way because one-way streets work better for cars (arguably for buses too). There's some kool-aid being peddled that one-way is worse for pedestrians, which I consider horseshit, but that's why it's being converted back to 2-way.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 9:29 PM

I want to know why only a few blocks of a two-way street are one-way. Cesar Chavez is two-way from Mopac to San Antonio, one-way from San Antonio to Brazos, and two-way from Brazos to 35 and beyond. Seems fairly usually to me. I don't think the four or five block stretch pertains to what you're talking about.

Last edited by Saddle Man; Jun 7, 2007 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:57 PM

CC was made one-way for the section in the middle for traffic reasons (car traffic only). Thought I had made that clear. There wasn't a good couplet-partner for one-way once you got in the eastern half of downtown, and CC was largely a distributor/collector for the Mopac side rather than I-35 anyways.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 4:04 PM

It wasn't clear. But now I can understand why it was thought that the street needed to be changed to a one-way for just five blocks in the first place though.

I can't seem to find any renderings of what the street will look like when finished. If anyone has any, it would be great if you posted them. Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
It was made one-way because one-way streets work better for cars (arguably for buses too). There's some kool-aid being peddled that one-way is worse for pedestrians, which I consider horseshit, but that's why it's being converted back to 2-way.
Are you certain this is the reason? It is nearly impossible to get to Mopac from the east side of downtown. Converting CC into 2-way will help tremendously.

As a side note, inner downtown streets that are one way seem to be easier to cross as a pedestrian. But as an avid jogger down Town Lake trail on CC, I think the 2-way will help. I'm hoping 2-way will slow down vehicle traffic. Currently, the one-way allows people to come off the freeway and continue at free-way speeds up to Congress. There are some scarey sections that are WAY too close to the trail. I'm hoping on-coming traffic will make drivers realize (conciously, or unconsiously) that they are now in the city and need to slow down.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:13 PM

The way CC is currently laid out doesn't make sense to me. I do think one-way streets make sense, but not when they converge into two-way traffic they way CC does at Congress. It would make sense to push CC one way from Mopac to 35, but as they will not, two-way traffic across it's complete length makes more sense to me than the existing configuration.

Besides, anyone who travels E/W through downtown as much as i do knows that CC limitations makes 2nd and 3rd dumping grounds for people trying to get to MOPAC via CC. They have to take awkward routes to get there. This change may actually alleviate some of these problems.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Are you certain this is the reason? It is nearly impossible to get to Mopac from the east side of downtown. Converting CC into 2-way will help tremendously.
Well, I-35 to CC is a minor access point given the constrained intersection geometries. And there isn't much in that part of downtown either; you don't start picking up significant traffic generators until you pass the Convention Center.

Originally it was 1-way coupled with 2nd, remember. It only seems so bad now because 3rd was made its couplet after 2nd was redone.

As for safety for pedestrians - the stretch you're most concerned about is supposed to be realigned in the long-run; and other stretches through downtown are arguably much worse for pedestrians as 2-way than 1-way. Consider the additional problem of left-turning motorists (either from CC or from driveways to CC). Temptation exists to floor it and get through a quick gap; but, uh-oh, I'm halfway done and here's a pedestrian. Oh crap.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:37 PM

Don't forget that the east side of Congress is starting to get a lot of residential. A 2-way CC is just ahead of all this development.

Where is the Lady Bird Johnson Memorial located? (Pedestrian esplanade up to 32 ft. wide to be constructed on the south side of Cesar Chavez from the Lady Bird Johnson Monument to Congress Avenue)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 3:47 AM

A sign is up saying that construction will be start 11-17-07. I'm not sure exactly what's going to be done, but something will be happening.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 4:00 PM

click on See a rendering of the changes for Cesar Chavez here.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 5:29 PM

Quote:
A sign is up saying that construction will be start 11-17-07. I'm not sure exactly what's going to be done, but something will be happening.
Currently, they have the part of the trail barricaded from the street using chain link fence between Colorado and San Antonio for some reason.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 5:48 PM

Here we go. I can't wait for this to be finished.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...18roundup.html

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:45 PM

Two-ways about it: Chavez project starting

City will convert weird five-block stretch of one-way and beautify lakefront area in $6.8 million project.

By Ben Wear
AMERICAN STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, November 19, 2007

Downtown drivers won't be surprised to see barrels and barricades on West Cesar Chavez Street near South First Street this morning. After all, that stretch of Austin's front porch, between seemingly endless utility work and the birthing of three office buildings and our avant-garde City Hall fronting Cesar Chavez, has been more or less a construction battle zone for the past decade.

What's different this time is the reason for the barrels.

That weird portion of Cesar Chavez, a five-block renegade of one-way sandwiched between miles of two-way, is about to get with the program and become two-way as well. At the same time, the City of Austin is going to spend the money to spruce up what has become an increasingly tired piece of waterfront. The $6.8 million project — just three years ago, the estimated cost was less than $4 million — will include construction of a 32-foot-wide esplanade on the south side of Cesar Chavez between Congress Avenue and South First, with new trees, benches and other prettifying.

The historic Buford fire tower will remain but lose its little parking lot. There will be bricked crosswalks at several spots on Cesar Chavez. And the hill above the lake will get a limestone retaining wall and improved access from the street to the hike-and-bike trail.

When it's all done — by March, the city hopes — the current five eastbound lanes on Cesar Chavez will become three eastbound and two westbound lanes, with left-turn lanes and medians in various places. And people going north on Congress wishing to go west to MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1), who for years have had to overshoot Cesar Chavez and execute what became known as the Second Street (and later Third Street) Shuffle, will be able to turn left at Cesar Chavez.

The city — which has been studying this microproject for years, more actively since the City Council approved it more than two years ago — says its traffic studies show that going from one-way to two-way won't slow things down appreciably. It was the desire to get people around faster that led to downtown Austin having so many one-way streets decades ago.

The civic winds on that have changed, however, with the new watchwords being "traffic calming" and "walkable streets." Anyone who has spent time on foot along Cesar Chavez would not think immediately of either calm traffic or walkability. But businesses have finally begun to sprout in the lower floors of the two office buildings flanking City Hall, and downtown advocates say that two-way streets help shops and restaurants by slowing people down.

The two-way regime instituted a few years ago on Second, aided by recent or ongoing construction on three of four blocks from Congress to San Antonio Street, has certainly accomplished that. As part of this project, Third west of Congress will also join the two-way party.

I feel calmer already.

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../1119wear.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 4:10 PM

Looks like Cesar Chavez will be finished in May.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../0331wear.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Looks like Cesar Chavez will be finished in May.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../0331wear.html
Thanks for the update KKTG. As it stands now, at 6:30 at night, it takes about 30 minutes to traverse from Mopac to I-35. Traffic is stacked up as soon as you exit Mopac. It is pretty bad down there these days. As a pedestrian, watch out, when the light turns green, you better be out of the way regardless if there is a walk signal - drivers want to go home.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 12:28 AM
Meh

Here's a few shots of the Buford Tower. I wish they would light it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin