HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 3:51 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjt View Post
Check the link. Thus far, Utah's schedule is one of the worst. 119 I believe, out of 120.

http://www.gberatings.com/sos/

I'm guessing since Utah State is at 26 and Utah is at 119 whoever put that together got those two schools mixed up. Boise State is at 93 so that's nothing to shut about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
This rating doesn't make any sense. I think whoever compiled it got Utah State and U. of Utah mixed up.
I was just thinking the same thing. I don't see how Utah would be 119 since they are going to have to play TCU, Air Force and BYU and they had played Pitt and I-State. I'm not saying Utah has the hardest SOS, but they sure as hell don't have the 2nd weakest. The link is BS.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Oct 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 4:08 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Also I notice that that link is "Strength of Schedule Ratings as of games of October 23, 2010" so that means it's only for THAT week. That's not the whole season. Go look up that same link in two weeks when Utah plays TCU and we'll see where Utah's at.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 5:35 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Of course, the loser of the TCU/Utah game will likely drop to the low teens.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q
Find me one person (outside of the NY/NJ area) who doesn't think the 2007 season was a gross disappointment. Maybe New England was the wrong team, but there were three other AFC teams that probably also could have won that game. No way you can tell me the best team in football won that year, unless you're doing it on faith. EVERY system is flawed.
I loved it. I couldn't have wished for a better ending for arrogant New England fans. The Giants were the best team at the end of that year. It's not how you start - it's how you finish. Those two teams played in week 17 and NE had to come from behind to win - the Giants outplayed them and showed how dominant their defensive line had become. After watching that game I knew they would take NE out should they meet again - and I made a tidy sum from the Super Bowl that year. If they had played again a week later the Giants would have won again - they simply matched up so well against NE and were playing lights out. They were the only team that could put sufficient heat on Brady - consistantly - and they did it all day long in the Super Bowl. That's why you play the game - it's not a popularity contest.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 7:18 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Of course, the loser of the TCU/Utah game will likely drop to the low teens.

That is true. Since Utah is 7 and TCU is 4 there's no way after two weeks they both will be in the top 10. For both teams that game could be the difference of maybe making it to a BCS and not making it to a BCS. For both teams it will be do or die.
TCU is a great team. Utah is a great team also. But how great are they? We'll about to find out.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 9:46 PM

I liked watching the Patriots lose to the Giants simply because Boston sports fans have gotten too smug in recent years. I like watching them lose for the same reason I like watching the Yankees lose.

That having been said, of course it should be obvious to everyone that the Pats were by far the best team that season. From the perspective of the best team being rewarded for the best play over the course of the year, it was a travesty that they lost.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 10:05 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
That's why you play the game - it's not a popularity contest.
I really hate this. You should have said "that's why we play that game." But how do you just write off 6 losses as insignificant? Is the regular season completely irrelevant? Just training for the playoffs?

If that's the case, then why don't we do this. Keep the pre-season. Then we'll seed 30 teams before Week 1 (by lottery). And then have playoffs. As you said - that's why we play the game. Well let's cut to the chase - we don't need 18 weeks to cut 30 teams down to 12 or 16. We can do that in ONE week. After all, the better team will win.

Now, we may need to expand the league to 32 teams to make it even. But we should be able to afford that, since we've cut the season down to 5 weeks:

Week 1: Round 1
Week 2: Round 2 (Round of 16)
Week 3: Quarterfinals.
Week 4: Semifinals (call it conference title games, if you see fit to bother keeping conferences)
Week 5: Super Bowl

Oh wait, are you saying we need 18 weeks to cut 30 teams down to playoff qualifiers FOR THE MONEY? Wow, now that sounds like a college football argument.

May the best team win, except when they don't.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 4:24 PM
Dare Mighty Things

LOL, this thread is hilarious. Does anyone here even take this discussion seriously?

Utah has the worst schedule of the undefeated teams, that's why they're ranked as low as they are for being undefeated. 5 of your teams you've beaten haven't even won more than 2 games all season. You barely beat Pitt who also lost to Notre Dame, which hasn't exactly had a stellar season. Even if you win out the rest of your games, it'll still be a weaker schedule than Boise State's. BYU has only won 3 games this season, San Diego State will likely have 4 losses by season's end (compared to Hawaii and Nevada, both of which probably won't have more than 3 and could both be ranked by season's end).

Sorry, but them's the facts. Utah won't jump BSU if we both go undefeated. We could however, end up playing each other in a BCS bowl game. I wouldn't mind seeing that for no other reason than to watch the reactions on this thread.

But don't worry, I'll be rooting for you in the Utah-TCU game, TCU could very well jump us if they win that game.

And for those that think the majority of college football fans want to see the status quo rather than a playoff, all I can say is that you're hilariously out of touch.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 5:33 PM

Quote:
And for those that think the majority of college football fans want to see the status quo rather than a playoff, all I can say is that you're hilariously out of touch.
No one said that.

But go ahead and keep beating down whatever straw men you care to invent.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 6:05 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Totally out of touch, yes. It's just the big evil corporate man keeping college football (and the American people) down. Nobody likes the way it is now. That's why nobody follows college football, and the sport doesn't make any money. How on earth can the powers-who-be be so short-sighted? It's a travesty.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I'm guessing since Utah State is at 26 and Utah is at 119 whoever put that together got those two schools mixed up. Boise State is at 93 so that's nothing to shut about.
I doubt it. USU has had a tough schedule with Oklahoma, San Diego St. (5-2), Hawaii (6-2), and Fresno (5-2).

Utah's will look better after this crazy stretch of games.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKidFromBoise View Post
LOL, this thread is hilarious. Does anyone here even take this discussion seriously?

Utah has the worst schedule of the undefeated teams, that's why they're ranked as low as they are for being undefeated. 5 of your teams you've beaten haven't even won more than 2 games all season. You barely beat Pitt who also lost to Notre Dame, which hasn't exactly had a stellar season. Even if you win out the rest of your games, it'll still be a weaker schedule than Boise State's. BYU has only won 3 games this season, San Diego State will likely have 4 losses by season's end (compared to Hawaii and Nevada, both of which probably won't have more than 3 and could both be ranked by season's end).
Pitts playing well again though and could win the Big East. SDSU is very underrated. They've lost two close games that came down to horribly bad calls against them. One was at currently undefeated Missouri where they only lost by 3. BYU also has 3 of their last 4 against very winnable teams. Throw in Air Force, Notre Dame, and TCU on top of that to round out the Utes schedule.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And I don't give a rat's ass about the NFL because the regular season is largely pointless. When you can lose 6 games and still win the Super Bowl, that means the only part that counts is the playoffs.

Luckily, we both have leagues that we enjoy.

Now don't screw with the one I like. The one where you actually have to win more games than anybody else in order to be crowned a champion.
NFL has 2 seasons. Regular season and the playoffs, both are important. Regular season determines who gets in the playoffs and the playoffs determine who gets in the super bowl.

I am not trying to change division 1. I am just saying why I don't care about division 1 and why I like the NFL and division 2 as both have a true title game and a true national champion.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 12:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I liked watching the Patriots lose to the Giants simply because Boston sports fans have gotten too smug in recent years. I like watching them lose for the same reason I like watching the Yankees lose.

That having been said, of course it should be obvious to everyone that the Pats were by far the best team that season. From the perspective of the best team being rewarded for the best play over the course of the year, it was a travesty that they lost.
The Giants won the super bowl, thus, they were the best team that season. Just like when the Broncos beat Green Bay in the Super bowl the Broncos were the best team of that season. When a team loses the big game they have no room to talk and I can care less about how they did before that game.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 1:51 PM

The Giants were the best team on the last day of the season, but a middling team if you take their entire body of work. The fact that their 6 losses don't make any difference at all is why I find the NFL boring and stupid.

So I tell you what: I won't troll the NFL thread with my complaints about the NFL if you don't troll the college thread with the same.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:30 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

edit: nevermind... there is no point in arguing articles of faith.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:51 PM

I so wanted to go to that Giants Super Bowl victory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
The Giants won the super bowl, thus, they were the best team that season. Just like when the Broncos beat Green Bay in the Super bowl the Broncos were the best team of that season. When a team loses the big game they have no room to talk and I can care less about how they did before that game.
Eli was on...the whole team rocked! Plaxico's one honest moment when he caught that pass. They were just better than a very good Patriot team.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
I doubt it. USU has had a tough schedule with Oklahoma, San Diego St. (5-2), Hawaii (6-2), and Fresno (5-2).

Utah's will look better after this crazy stretch of games.
And they almost took Oklahoma!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 5:04 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Not to discredit Air Force or USU, but this is yet another reason why rankings are bogus anyway. When they put OU up top, I had to laugh. No way did I think they deserve #1. Their whole year had been narrow victories against some good teams (7 or less against USU and AF), but also some not so good teams (Cinci, even Texas). They were a shaky team and were living on borrowed time in the rankings being that high.

But that's why the rankings change week to week, I suppose.

CU plays Oklahoma tomorrow. It's on ESPN2 if anyone cares. Will we surprise, or get d**k slapped across the face? My hope is for the former; my fear is for the latter.

Dan, Dan, go away, let the Buffs win the game.

Last edited by FrancoRey; Oct 30, 2010 at 5:38 AM. Reason: Spells

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 1:42 PM
BANNED

nevermind........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West